Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pheasants with airgun

Options
  • 15-11-2018 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was out shooting a pheasant the other day and someone said u can t with an air rifle . I’m a good shot and I ve permission right next to gun clubs land so there a plenty of birds about . Am I ok to use my airgun on them as I like eating them , I ve a bsa 22 airgun and I can get a 2 inch group at twenty yards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

I was out shooting a pheasant the other day and someone said u can t with an air rifle . I’m a good shot and I ve permission right next to gun clubs land so there a plenty of birds about . Am I ok to use my airgun on them as I like eating them , I ve a bsa 22 airgun and I can get a 2 inch group at twenty yards
    You probably can but you morally shouldn’t would be my opinion. Also that group at that distance is not good. My HW 97 is zeroed for 18 meters and its group of 5 shots would fit into a 20 cent coin, I wouldn’t consider myself an amazing shot either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Funkypidgin

Kran wrote: »
    You probably can but you morally shouldn’t would be my opinion. Also that group at that distance is not good. My HW 97 is zeroed for 18 meters and its group of 5 shots would fit into a 20 cent coin, I wouldn’t consider myself an amazing shot either.

Ewww mr big shot ur amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

if you are not able to shoot them while moving don't shoot them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

I refer you to Section 41 (D) (1) (a) of the Wildlife (Amendment) Act 2000 which states:-

(1) It shall be an offence for a person to hunt or injure in the course of hunting—

(a) with a repeating or automatic shotgun (other than a repeating or automatic shotgun which is adapted or modified so as to render it incapable of carrying more than three shotgun cartridges), with an airgun, air-rifle, gas-rifle, pistol or revolver, or with any firearm fitted with a silencer device, any wild bird,

(b) with a rifle, any protected wild bird.

So the answer is that you can do it but are breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Ewww mr big shot ur amazing

Eh not really, if you’ve ever googled it or watched any YouTube vids you’d see that’s pretty standard. Something could be off with your gun. I only said it because that kind of grouping in an airgun would not really be good enough to guarantee a head shot on anything so your going to be wounding and getting a lot of runners. Judging by your reply I don’t think you’d care anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Troll

Thread closed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement