Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

With the N4 being 24 hr the O should absolutely be 24hr. I think there's also a big argument for the S2 to be 24hr afterall the areas it serves undoubtedly have a larger night time economy than the areas served by the N4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I'd say the O will be 24hr. The S2 probably has the strongest case of any of the Southern orbitals for 24hr operation

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I’d have thought the S2 would be too close to the “O” to go to 24 hour operation, assuming the O is a 24 hour route.

I would think that either the S4 or S6 would be more likely.

The N4 hit a nice little sweet spot for 24 hour service in that it is an orbital serving large swathes of suburbs, it crosses 3 (?) 24hr routes including an airport route, and it also acts as an alternative city centre to Howth Rd/Whitehall/Glasnevin/Finglas/Blanch route.

I’d say 24 hours running was a no brainer given all the boxes it ticks. The O you think ticks all of these boxes and more. You could make a case for both the S4 and S6 given the massive areas they both serve

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

I've been on the N4 late night on 2 occasions and on both occasions I was close to the front door , no room to move down . I've never witnessed such an experience on any orbital route and I've taken most of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Was it on the weekend nights of the concerts in St Annes Park or just a regular night?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It was a weekend night alright. It was the night of the concert on one, the other could've been something on in the 3 arena

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

It's a very pleasant walk along the Luas line to the Point, lots of nice landmarks along the way. Rather than wait in the city centre to NOT get a taxi, #15 bus etc, I'd happily walk to the N4 to get home or even join the #15 bus further down the route when there might actually be space to get on!!

Yes it would be interesting to hear how the current crop of 24 hour routes are performing on “school nights” in terms of loadings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Night buses are rammed even on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, can't depend on them to get you home because they're a half hour apart and always go past full

• Advertisement

Pretty sure Ray Coyne said in a recent Newstalk interview that they are exceeding expectations .

Well that’s presumably only at certain times and from the city centre outward?

I would be interested in hearing specifics about the various routes (C1, C2, C5, C6, 15, 39a, 41 and N4).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I'm a regular user of the 41 during the night on all nights of the week - admittingly going towards the airport. It is VERY well used on all nights of the week. It is then completely full Friday and Saturday nights into the following morning throughout the night until 5am and the regular services starts up. So busy it is completely full ex Abbey Street.

Mid week you can get on, but it is constantly picking up and dropping off throughout. The €2 fare is a no brainer for people to get home. It brings people to travel and work in the airport, into the city for the very early starters. It really is a huge success. You now have the N4 feeding into that as well.

Reports from the 15 is that it is equally well used in a similar manner.

I've heard the 15 is the best performing at night of the 24hr routes. If they're doing well they should really look at making some of them every 10 mins on Sat/Sun mornings and every 15 mins every other night provided the staff are available to run them of course.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm absolutely delighted to hear how well the night buses are doing. I've been banging on for years how badly Dublin needs 24/7 buses and I'm very happy to see they are a big success.

I'm also very happy to see that the 90 minute ticket at €2 is a big success too.

Who would have imagined it, put a good quality service on, that runs where and when people need it and make it a reasonable cost and people will flock to public transport.

I really, really hope they recognise the success and keep the 90 minute fare at €2 for at least a few years, really advertise and promote it. And hopefully we will see extra frequency and capacity added to the night routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I happened across two N4’s going in opposite directions this evening crossing the Swords Road. Healthier loads again, looked to be at least 20 on both.

However, I’ve noticed the N6 being quieter. Probably due to the shorter route, N4 making some alternative routings for pax and that the frequency is up.

The N6 has lost DCU and Blanch which were big trip generators for the 17a. Now if you need to get say from Blanch to Donaghmede/Kilbarrack, you’re better staying on the N4 and connecting to dart/15/H rather than swapping at Finglas for the N6. Same with DCU, N4 then as above rather than walk to Ballymun Main St to wait for an N6 going through the hospital.

Secondly it’s summer so naturally a bit quieter. Also the 17a suffered massive reliability and timing problems, it would be often that you’d see 2 packed 17a’s running 30 min intervals due to traffic/cancellations - you’d hope with the shorter route and new route fanfare that won’t happen - whereas now there could be 3 more evenly spread buses every 10 mins carrying similar loads but spread more evenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Behind a paywall, mind you, but whatever I could gleam from it sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Phase Four shouldn’t be too much of an issue in regards to the driver shortage, as there is only a modest increase in PVR (around 15-ish, I reckon)

Phase Five, on the other hand…

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Does anyone know how DB's recruitment is going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

Going at 100 miles an hour. The training school was packed when I was there for the CPC course 2 weeks ago. On the other hand though, I'm hearing that for every 4 drivers that are hired, 3 are leaving.

I wonder why that is? Are they going in and finding it's not what they hoped or they getting offered something better elsewhere after they are hired the wages seem decent enough.

I've applied a few times over the years and keep getting the rejection. Have the D and all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yeah, I heard 1 lost for every 1 hired from someone at DB and thought I heard it wrong 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭xper

I wonder if the much spoken about economic downturn comes to pass will these driving jobs become more attractive and the alternatives dry up and thus solve the problem as the Bus Connects rollout progresses?

(Just speculating, not wishing hardship on anyone)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hairymaryberry

DB getting back most routes in next tender, a new company is entering the market and getting a handful of the GA routes to see if they can operate them to a decent standard

DB losing staff at a steady rate

DB Training center is going full steam ahead, alas new drivers once in the job are leaving at a shocking high rate in the first 1-2 months, 80%+, pay and terms are poor and they are on the night shift

Retaining staff is so bad DB keeping putting back the pension deal, 100+ drivers working the extra year, as when the new pension starts the retirement lump would be worth extra money, once new pension is enacted many of these 65 year old drivers will quit the very same week, so DB stalling on pension deal, this is causing no end of anger, paired with the fact money owed from the 2016 pay deal is still not paid and no sign of a new pay deal, would not take much to cause a strike

Due to staff shortages very hard to get a day off, you might need just one day off, but you wont get it, so alternative is to go sick, and if you are going sick sure why not take the full week off

With the cost of living rising with inflation, id expect a interesting autumn if pay and pension not sorted

Have you seen the price of petrol?

Better of not working rather than commuting to work , think for a minute, DB/GA drivers need a car, no bus to bring them to/from work/home.

Aint no one interested in the job the last few years, that wont be changing without big pay and conditions improvement

DB getting back most routes in next tender, a new company is entering the market and getting a handful of the GA routes to see if they can operate them to a decent standard

DB losing staff at a steady rate

DB Training center is going full steam ahead, alas new drivers once in the job are leaving at a shocking high rate in the first 1-2 months, 80%+, pay and terms are poor and they are on the night shift

Retaining staff is so bad DB keeping putting back the pension deal, 100+ drivers working the extra year, as when the new pension starts the retirement lump would be worth extra money, once new pension is enacted many of these 65 year old drivers will quit the very same week, so DB stalling on pension deal, this is causing no end of anger, paired with the fact money owed from the 2016 pay deal is still not paid and no sign of a new pay deal, would not take much to cause a strike

Due to staff shortages very hard to get a day off, you might need just one day off, but you wont get it, so alternative is to go sick, and if you are going sick sure why not take the full week off

With the cost of living rising with inflation, id expect a interesting autumn if pay and pension not sorted

The pay and conditions are poor

The solution is to offer better pay and conditions

We know that, and the NTA know that

The NTA putting it off as long as possible, there is no other solution

The new drivers that they do get and they are hard come by, are leaving in huge numbers once the reality of the job is revealed, you can get M-F job 9-5 and after tax come out with practically the same money as a driver working weekends and shift work, very very few people in their 20-30's interested in this type of work and by the time people are 40 they are either set in their ways in a certain type of job or dole for the rest of their life and have zero interest in the bus driver job

I can here you babbling at the screen, "there is no magic money tree" well it looks like there is one to drivers, FPT passengers outnumber paying, broken/expired FTP are to be carried, the old Paper FTP are still in use, zero ticket inspections, fares reduced across the board, Ukrainians travel for free everywhere and anyone with a east european accent is now claiming to be Ukrainian.

Mega money spent on badly designed bus lanes and cycle paths, no end of money been wasted

The simplest way to a better bus service, pay better wages and have better conditions and you will have a better service, but begrudgery prevents this

I dont think it controversial to say DB/GA drivers should be earning the average wage in Ireland, but the reality is very different, average wage today is officially 49K

We all know many people working in Dublin travel in from commuter towns, your looking at €150 a week on petrol to get in to work.

150x4=600 a month

150x52=7800 a year

You looking at a over a quarter of a drivers pay on fuel just to get to work and that price is only going to increase, soon be better off on the dole and we all know that is true

• Advertisement

If DB operated the 18 posters would blow a fuse, but as its GA no so much outrage

Advertisement