Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porsche 924 Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭gn3dr

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Sent my 924 off to my mechanic for the following items:

1) Fit new steering rack
    2) Fix leaky fuel pump
    3) Have starter motor fixed up
    4) Fixed heater

Once I get it back I`ll be good to go! Think I`ll get a set of new tyres and maybe a custom exhaust. I may also remove the rear seat belts as they are a massive eye sore. Roll on summer driving!

Having driven it for the first time in ages I forgot how nice the 924 gear shift action is. Much nicer than my daily driver.
    I'd be interested in the rear seat belts if they are the non inertia type and are black?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

*Awaiting a full report with pics* :)

PITA about the HCV - but at least you got the end result! Once I've had another chance to muck around with my own cable/valve I might pick your brains as to what the hell is going on under there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sorry for off / topic but thanks to this thread I now know that the cable adjustment in my MGF is fine (played with it), but my HCV is shot (stuck open). Second hand part is cheap (about £10-15 plus shipping) but I'm going to wait until the coolant has to be changed anyway. Won't do this myself as you have to bleed the system properly which is a tricky and critical job (it's K-series engine :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

After a good drive over the weekend the heater issue is confirmed fixed. Was not being baked alive! Engine isn't running 100% though, its backfiring and sloppy at idle.
    sounds like the valve timing is out,or possibly one of the air ducts is leaking !!

Wouldn't know where to start with the timing. I thought I heard a vacuum leak the last day will have another look tomorrow. Any common areas to check?
    any part of the air intake pipes could be drawing air which would make the engine run rough,get a spray bottle and put some washing up liquid and water in it,start the engine then spray it on the air intake joins and if it's leaking it should bubble up.
    incidently it could also be weak injector seals so spray round those too,it's a matter of elimination to find the cause

• Registered Users Posts: 28 munuus

Wouldn't know where to start with the timing. I thought I heard a vacuum leak the last day will have another look tomorrow. Any common areas to check?

try to search youtube: How To Find A Vacuum Leak - EricTheCarGuy

it is super simple specially when engine is running.

:) I'm battling with not able to start my recently bought 924, it starts on the 3th key position and even runs but as soon as I switch to 2th it dies.

I tried a few things, it seems it has power on coil, spark is great.
    Compression as new, engine has only 85k.
    Fuel pump doesn't turn on on 2 position only on 3th but I read that this is normal on 924 for safety. it needs at least 300revs to keep voltage on pump. (in case of crash)
    So I guess next step is going to be to try to find the sensor... etc :) weekend fun

munuus wrote: »
    try to search youtube: How To Find A Vacuum Leak - EricTheCarGuy

it is super simple specially when engine is running.

:) I'm battling with not able to start my recently bought 924, it starts on the 3th key position and even runs but as soon as I switch to 2th it dies.

I tried a few things, it seems it has power on coil, spark is great.
    Compression as new, engine has only 85k.
    Fuel pump doesn't turn on on 2 position only on 3th but I read that this is normal on 924 for safety. it needs at least 300revs to keep voltage on pump. (in case of crash)
    So I guess next step is going to be to try to find the sensor... etc :) weekend fun
    sounds like the ignition switch is broke or the plug at the back is loose its not the relay as it wouldn't start at all.

thx mate, I did test the fuel pump relay, and it work fine, clicks and also resistance is 0 after it connects. Also tried to bypass relay with cable so the pump would run all the time but no change.

Is there a way to test the ignition switch? :) and the plug at the back? u mean fuse box or the switch itself.

Thx for all the info. I did test the spark in 3th when cranking,and voltage on coil and distributor in 2th so I guessed the fault is not on ignition part :)

• Advertisement

just checked it now, will take it apart tomorrow and maybe try to bypass it with power probe.

Thx for the tip

just checked it now, will take it apart tomorrow and maybe try to bypass it with power probe.

Thx for the tip

Relay locations

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
    (Top Row, left to right)
    1. Not used
    2. Fuel pump relay
    3. Fog Lamp Relay
    4. Not used
    5. Seatbelt warning buzzer relay
    6. Rear window defroster relay
    (Bottom Row, left to right)
    1. Not used
    2. Driving lights
    3. Horn, rear wiper, adjustable mirrors relay
    4. Wiper relay
    5. Turn signal flasher relay

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]My car starts, but won't stay running./My car won't turn over.

The ignition switch can and will die, after time. If the car dies (like the ignition was turned off) immediately after the ignition switch is released to the "Run" position, but runs fine while in the "Start" position, suspect a bad ignition switch. Likewise, if the dash lights all come on, and if the car can be push-started, but won't even turn over when the ignition switch is turned to the "Crank" position, the ignition switch could be bad.
    The best way to check this is to hotwire the car, bypassing the ignition switch. Go to the Technical Section - Bodywork for details on how to hotwire the car, and for instructions on how to remove and replace the switch.
    However, if the car runs the same after hotwiring, then the problem is elsewhere. If the car does not crank, make sure the battery is good and charged, and make sure all grounds are clean and good. If the engine starts but does not stay running, you should be looking above at the section on Tune-Ups, and at the section on when the engine starts but stalls.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

^^ Good info there.

Let us know how you get on, munuus!

Just quick update:

Disconnected ignition switch , bypassed 30-15 ignition on 30-50 cranking. Engine starts and runs while 30 and 50 connected then it dies when released. The same result as before so at least now I know that ignition switch is ok :)

Also rechecked all fuses. All good.

There is a weird switch (not factory)with permanent 12V with one wire going to radio (probably memory) and from the switch to windscreen washer motor to the front. need to track what is going on there.

Was there any immobilizer in 924? I have something on the key ring which goes into the plug beside the ignition. The previous owner said they removed/bypassed that but when I looked on that bypass it was that wire with permanent 12 into radio.

Just quick update:

Disconnected ignition switch , bypassed 30-15 ignition on 30-50 cranking. Engine starts and runs while 30 and 50 connected then it dies when released. The same result as before so at least now I know that ignition switch is ok :)

There is a weird switch (not factory)with permanent 12V with one wire going to radio (probably memory) and from the switch to windscreen washer motor to the front. need to track what is going on there.

Was there any immobilizer in 924? I have something on the key ring which goes into the plug beside the ignition. The previous owner said they removed/bypassed that but when I looked on that bypass it was that wire with permanent 12 into radio.
    some had immobilizers but if yours has 1 it wouldn't start atall

have you checked the fuses in the auxilary fuse board as 1 of the fuses feeds the fuel pump forget which 1 but they tend to become loose.

• Advertisement

Thx for tips :)

I will look into it tomorrow. I believe all the fuses are fine on both ends but will recheck that tomorrow.
    DME relay seems to work fine, I did check it out of the car and also re soldered 3 or 4 joints.

The plan for tomorrow is to install fuel pressure gauge and test the pressure when cranking and also after 60 min.
    Possibly checking injectors for blockage/spray pattern. (the old filter was fully blocked when I bought it)
    Amount of fuel pumped in 30 sec.

All hoses :) again

Is there any sensor which is required for engine to run?

K jetronic seems to be pretty simple system, so that might be next step.

Thx for tips :)

I will look into it tomorrow. I believe all the fuses are fine on both ends but will recheck that tomorrow.
    DME relay seems to work fine, I did check it out of the car and also re soldered 3 or 4 joints.

The plan for tomorrow is to install fuel pressure gauge and test the pressure when cranking and also after 60 min.
    Possibly checking injectors for blockage/spray pattern. (the old filter was fully blocked when I bought it)
    Amount of fuel pumped in 30 sec.

All hoses :) again

Is there any sensor which is required for engine to run?

K jetronic seems to be pretty simple system, so that might be next step.
    Yes the Kjetronic is very easy,but if it starts then stops it has to be the ignition switch failing that it might be the distributer they tend to play up,what year is it !

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

Just quick update:

It runs with the starter engaged? And then cuts out when you release the key? Its the Ballast Resistor fitted to the live supply to the Ignition Coil thats at fault, either fit a new one or bypass it and fit a 12v coil

It is 1981. 2 owners, first had it dry stored till 2002 then second did probably 500 km in last 13 years.

We checked spark but only while cranking.
    I'm sure that power is going to distributor, I changed cap,rotor and cables.

Wasn't sure about cable position on cap so trial and error got it where it is now.

• Advertisement

type85 wrote: »
    It runs with the starter engaged? And then cuts out when you release the key? Its the Ballast Resistor fitted to the live supply to the Ignition Coil thats at fault, either fit a new one or bypass it and fit a 12v coil

Yes exactly. So should I look for new coil?
    To find out probably need to fit other one and try to start.

Is there a way to measure coil or ballast resistor?

Thanks for tip :) mate

I'll bypass it tomorrow/today from battery to positive on coil and try to start. If it runs fine time to source new ballast resistor. seems to be fun part to find :)

youtube.com/watch?v=HOc9D7LYcT0

It is running :) thx for all the help

I did bypass the coil from the battery. First it was quite a struggle but after cleaning spark plugs and letting it dry from fuel it started no problem :)

It is running little to high 1200-1300rpm but I know vacuum hoses are not in the best shape (loose) and pretty much all connectors need to be stripped and cleaned.

The mistake I made was the measurement on the coil. I didn't realize that it had ground on both ends. With power probe it was clear that it gets positive voltage while cranking and no voltage (ground) when in run 2th key position.

The question now is going to be locating that ballast resistor ( I looked everywhere... almost) and buying/refitting new one.

Also the car is 1981 but the wiring diagram seems to be for ones made 79-80. So I was checking wrong ones all that time.

Great news. That's a big step taken. :)

The second one you can hear her hunting at idle.
    Does that go away after she warms up a minute? Modern cars are the only cars I've ever had that aren't a bit lumpy straight after startup.

Nice teaser vids, too. :)

Dades wrote: »
    Does that go away after she warms up a minute? Modern cars are the only cars I've ever had that aren't a bit lumpy straight after startup.

My E30 ix sounds the same when I start it from time to time, after few km it clears itself and goes smooth.

Is this daily driver?
    I would check common thing as fuel,air filter, cables, spark plugs, vacuum leak, clean earth points around engine etc, the things that don't cost anything/very little and make quite a difference.

Haynes has all the steps how to check fuel setting. I would just go step by step from fuel pressure to injectors, checking plate regulator etc.
    I'll be doing similar in week or two so will post some tips.

It is like that even after a good run. She has had new plugs, air+fuel filter I checked for vacuum leaks but I didn't find any. On full throttle wide open though when the revs go above 4k you get a strong smell of petrol that clears after a few seconds.

It's possibly getting too much fuel,the easiest way to check this is to go to the fuel distribution unit where the air filter is, on the unit you will see the injector pipes that are held on with banjo bolts,undo 1 of the bolts there are 2 copper washers dont lose them,take the bolt out and move the injector pipe to one side so you can see the rate of flow of the fuel, ideally you will need another person to turn the ignition on [ don't start it ] to see how quick or slow the fuel is rising, it is either going to be reasonably quick or very slow,the next step you will need a long reach 3mm allen key, it would be better if you pm me your phone number and i will give you a ring and explain the process,also tell me a suitable time in the evening to call you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

After a few years break from owning a 924, I finally sold my Honda and bought myself this baby:

19965427342_dd66c96ec3_c.jpg

19785063798_da2431133e_c.jpg

The car was used very little for the last decade or so and does need a lot of time and love to sort out all the minor imperfections, but it is a good base, so I am happy overall.

Wow, that looks in great shape! Congratulations!

I think it was a yellow 924 that lived near me as a kid that always made me want one. What year is it and what kind of stuff needs to be done? I hope your planning on driving it because I'd love to see it on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That looks great. :)

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Wow, that looks in great shape! Congratulations!

I think it was a yellow 924 that lived near me as a kid that always made me want one. What year is it and what kind of stuff needs to be done? I hope your planning on driving it because I'd love to see it on the road.

The bodywork is in great condition and I would say more less as good as it gets on a car, never mind a 31 year old car.

She is a 1984 model, standard 2-litre engine. The suspension is OK, but the tracking needs to be adjusted to make it perfect. No other issues discovered there. The brakes work fine, however both of the front callipers are sticky and I am going to work on them this evening to see what's what (just bough a bucket of Red Grease for the job).

Another bits that need attention after my quick inspection after the purchase:
    - Injector seals (ordered, should be delivered today, but no sign of yer man, so they will arrive on Monday most likely),
    - A new set of ignition leads - ordered,
    - New distributor cap and rotor arm - ordered,
    - Air filter purchased, will put in this weekend,
    - The alternator cooling hose - ordered,
    - The fuel injection breading pipe cap - ordered,
    - The bonnet opening lever set - ordered,
    - New gearbox oil will have to be selected, ordered and changed,
    - Wheels need to be balanced,
    - I may replace the spark plugs in near future,
    - I will possibly check the engine valve clearance soon,
    - A new engine breather pipe - ordered (the old one is cracked),
    - The ignition leads holders (2 nr) - ordered,
    - New oil pressure sender - ordered,
    - Speedometer in km only - ordered,
    - New expansion tank rubber mounts - ordered,
    - I am sure I will throw that radio away and put something that suits the car (the automatic aerial works, which is nice),
    - The backlight bulbs on some instruments need to be replaced,
    And... possibly a good few more bits and bobs, as I am constantly going through the car when I find a spare minute or two.

Interestingly, I found in the booth of the car:
    - a new fuel pump,
    - a new set of Bosch fuel injectors,
    - some various genuine clips for the interior,
    - an old cam belt (and alternator belt) in a Porsche box, so I assume the belts were recently replaced.

All in all, a nice project and although I wasn't too happy as I discovered so many faults with the car, but they are nothing major and I will get it all sorted in a matter of weeks.

Sure, the car is going to be driven :). No point in just looking at it ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Seweryn wrote: »

The bodywork is in great condition and I would say more less as good as it gets on a car, never mind a 31 year old car.

She is a 1984 model, standard 2-litre engine. The suspension is OK, but the tracking needs to be adjusted to make it perfect. No other issues discovered there. The brakes work fine, however both of the front callipers are sticky and I am going to work on them this evening to see what's what (just bough a bucket of Red Grease for the job).

Another bits that need attention after my quick inspection after the purchase:
    - Injector seals (ordered, should be delivered today, but no sign of yer man, so they will arrive on Monday most likely),
    - A new set of ignition leads - ordered,
    - New distributor cap and rotor arm - ordered,
    - Air filter purchased, will put in this weekend,
    - The alternator cooling hose - ordered,
    - The fuel injection breading pipe cap - ordered,
    - The bonnet opening lever set - ordered,
    - New gearbox oil will have to be selected, ordered and changed,
    - Wheels need to be balanced,
    - I may replace the spark plugs in near future,
    - I will possibly check the engine valve clearance soon,
    - A new engine breather pipe - ordered (the old one is cracked),
    - The ignition leads holders (2 nr) - ordered,
    - New oil pressure sender - ordered,
    - Speedometer in km only - ordered,
    - New expansion tank rubber mounts - ordered,
    - I am sure I will throw that radio away and put something that suits the car (the automatic aerial works, which is nice),
    - The backlight bulbs on some instruments need to be replaced,
    And... possibly a good few more bits and bobs, as I am constantly going through the car when I find a spare minute or two.

Interestingly, I found in the booth of the car:
    - a new fuel pump,
    - a new set of Bosch fuel injectors,
    - some various genuine clips for the interior,
    - an old cam belt (and alternator belt) in a Porsche box, so I assume the belts were recently replaced.

All in all, a nice project and although I wasn't too happy as I discovered so many faults with the car, but they are nothing major and I will get it all sorted in a matter of weeks.

Sure, the car is going to be driven :). No point in just looking at it ;).

Wow thays an easy enough list. ..Apart from maybe the front calipers.

deckie27 wrote: »
    Wow thays an easy enough list. ..Apart from maybe the front calipers.
    Eh, no... I though they are bad, but just got the callipers removed and checked through with a bottle of beer. New piston rubber boots are needed and another hour or two with more beer and it will be all sorted :).

She looks lovely! One mod I was thinking of doing that I see your doing is the Speedometer in km only. Where did you get one of these and how tricky a swap is it?
    Thanks. I am just back after getting more work done to the car - have completed the valve clearance adjustment, so another small step ahead :).

I got the speedometer locally from a scrapped car (don't have it yet, waiting for the delivery), but I guess you can get them on ebay easily. It is not just the 924 speedometer I do not like, but any speedo with miles and km, they just look very messy with double scale and I prefer to count in km anyway :).

The swap operation of the speedometer is an easy task and I believe shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. The speedo seats in with a rubber seal and needs to pushed out. There are two screws holding the cluster located at the top of the cluster looking up from behind the wheel.

I was looking at this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-944-924-speedo-kph-rev-counter-clocks-vdo-/191613090252?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9d07b9cc

The sheer volume of cables at the back would worry me but if you can swap out individual instruments I may do it. I also hate dual scale speedo's :)
    Yeah, that set will do, but you can remove and replace the speedometer only.
    There are only a couple of bulbs / control lights to be swapped and the cable from the front wheel that drives the speedo.

Its weird that cars from the 70s and 80's look well in colours that would look awful on modern cars. I had a coffee coloured 924 that looks really nice
    I fully agree with you. Can't wait to park my 924 one day at work between all the grey, silver, black, and 50 other shades of grey uncoloured vehicles.

It actually makes me a bit sad the fact that colours disappeared from cars somehow. Just have a look at the colours available on a Volkswagen at the time.

On the other hand, after my post purchase investigation, I discovered that the yellow is not my car's factory original paint. But it is done so well, you would struggle to notice anyway.

Great looking car :) it is quite rare to see dash and seats in such a good nick :)

May I ask, where u getting all parts? Like injector seals etc? I found that to get proper parts is a bit uphill battle

Great looking car :) it is quite rare to see dash and seats in such a good nick :)
    Thanks. The driver seat actually has a small tear, but nothing major. I can live with it for now.
    May I ask, where u getting all parts? Like injector seals etc? I found that to get proper parts is a bit uphill battle
    I got most of the second hand bits from a breaker that has a few of these cars. But any consumables are easily available in good shops. For example the Engine Head Cover Gasket (half a circle shape seal - 2 nr required on both sides) I bought new from Micksgarage at a cost of €0.86, the air filter was only €8.46. Also got the driver side Bosch wiper blade for €6.51. Micks also have the Bosch injectors (that I found in the boot of my car), so it is not too bad. Parts are rather reasonably priced.

I remember with my previous 924 I owned a few years ago that I got a lot of spares from eBay (most of them I found in Germany).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

A couple of years i got injector seals from porsche ireland.
    Cost less that €20 delivered for 4.

• Advertisement

I just decided to remove one of the brake callipers again, cleaned it up properly, greased, and put back together on the old seals. At least the car is now drivable.

I also made a few final touches to the valve clearance adjustment in the engine.

Now time for a test drive :).

20032038411_474a2836c7_z.jpg

20018979102_a8a9548276_z.jpg

Update on my own 924, after being recommended to give Bryan Kane a call in Harmonstown motors my 924 is now running as sweet as a nut. He talked about a load of fuel issues that went straight over my head.

All I know is that its silky smooth at idle, now pulls like a train and I am happy!
    Great stuff, that is what my car needs now...
    I need to get a pipe that runs to cool the alternator, does anybody know the diameter of the needed pipe?

I have heard its 5cm? Apparently the one below is a perfect fit.
    The one you listed is a hose for the engine cooling system. You need a plastic or even a paper flexible hose. My car also does not have it (yet), and as I have just measured, the required diameter is 50mm. It is the same diameter and the type of hose as in the Volkswagen Beetle engine cooling system. The length may need to be longer in the 924 though.

yup it is 50mm
    any aluminum air hose will do :)
    ebay.ie/itm/ALUMINIUM-FLEXIBLE-AIR-DUCTING-CARBURETTOR-HOSE-50MM-ID-2-500MM-LONG-/361318547146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5420437eca

deckie27 wrote: »
    A couple of years i got injector seals from porsche ireland.
    Cost less that €20 delivered for 4.

That's gas - probably the last place I'd look for them. :D

:) well, the last time friend called Porsche Ireland they didn't really know or wanted to know what is 944 turbo... it was few years ago, but since then we get everything from North... :)

In fairness they look like rubber orings you can get in your local farm hardware shop for 20c each.

• Advertisement

I wonder if I can get that in Wicks or similar builders supply near me. Ebay can be fierce slow.

Try here - http://www.air-cooled-parts.com/cat/product_info.php?products_id=22800

Perfect ordered! Nice one
    That is the one dedicated for a Volkswagen. 1m long, which is for both sides in the Bug's engine, should be long enough for 924. Just make sure you have the plastic attachments on both sides (alternator and above the radiator) to connect them together with the hose.

I am fairly sure the one above the radiator is there, not sure about the one on the alternator though. Hopefully its not raining tomorrow and I`ll take a look :pac:
    If the alternator was replaced (as in my car) the chances are the piece is missing, but hopefully it is there. It should be attached to the alternator anyway.

alternator side is metal cover, 3 bolts with pipe alike attachment above alternator.

My car had some diesel alternator when I got it so I got original alternator with that cover.

Btw anyone here taped exhaust with tape, to prevent melting cables from alternator to starter and HT leads?

well I have that metal shield there :) but those cables got melted anyway. And it seems that somebody was there before and repairing them too :)

I will order some tape of ebay and wrap it all the way down. Will post some pics afterwards

• Advertisement
Advertisement