Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up the smokes today!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

OP can, if nothing else, become an ex-smoker.. you becoming an ex-wanker is much less likely.

However, I am sure you are not to blame for being the way you are - it was your parents/society that made you that way.

Sorry but are you calling me a wanker there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Yeh id start winding yourself down mister- because your getting wound up over F U C K A L L

Ah ya it is the same ! If someone drinks and drinks and DRINKS,,,,, iTS THE SAME AS SOMEONE WHO smokes and smokes and smokes!!!!

oh he stopped BEFORE he got cancer- Jesus hes such a great person to start doin something that would give him cancer and then stop.

FFS he shouldnt have been doin it in the 1st place!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you nuts?

This is The Zohan you're messing with...

Lavattack wrote: »
    Sorry but are you calling me a wanker there?

Nope... I was addressing the other fella with that remark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

DID I ASK YOU TO START SMOKING?

DID I ASK YOU TO GIVE IT UP

DID I ASK YOU TO SEEK ACCEPTANCE ABOUT GIVING UP SMOKING ONLINE????????????

Wow...do you know what would calm you down? A nice cigarette...hmmm...tasty. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

This threads full of smokers

However if someone came on here saying "Im off drink 4 hours" It would be thrown to PI and theyd be told to "Try get off the drink"

Its the bloomin same, a smoker and a drinker both abuse a substance that can both cause death by excess!

And im not a dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!im a woman!

• Advertisement

However if someone came on here saying "Im off drink 4 hours" It would be thrown to PI and theyd be told to "Try get off the drink"

Its the bloomin same, a smoker and a drinker both abuse a substance that can both cause death by excess!

Then, *ahem*, calm down, dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭b.o.m.d.a.s.

you are right, this thread is full of smokers, and quitters, and people who want to support quitters.

however, this is lava's thread about quitting, and so say all of us.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Ah cool, will you make me a sammich then dear.

I am a non-smoker thank you

I have no idea what PI means

"Its the bloomin same,"--False
    "a smoker and a drinker both abuse a substance that can both cause death by excess!"-- True

Could have (and did) fool me :D:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Are you drunk right now? i think you have an alcohol problem! have you seeked help?

• Advertisement

Then, *ahem*, calm down, dear.
    TheZohan wrote: »
    Ah cool, will you make me a sammich then dear.

I say, I do believe I've just sunk your battleship.

Okay no smoke in that hour anyway lol. I am definately going to bed now and going to stay in bed for as much of the morning as I can get away with!!:D

Night every-one and let ye know how things go tomorrow aswell.

(If you don't want to know thats fine, just ignore the thread please)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

A few things that helped me: Drink plenty of water, stock up on chewing gum, nuts, pickles, popcorn.. basically stuff you can nibble on and keep your gob entertained.

You may become extremely irritable after day 2 or 3 (the '3-day hump'). I found that jogging or cycling really helped keep my mind off it. Your lungs will repair a lot faster with regular exercise and you will be less inclined to go back on the nasty cigs with your new, healthy lungs.

Ádh mór ort - good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

Quitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ollie182

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Going cold turkey off the fags is nasty.

When you see that baby cawling towards you upside down on the roof, twist it's head and fall on you, it's horrible.

Need to give them up myself.

Trainspottin, one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ollie182

orourkeda wrote: »
    What are you going to smoke after ridin' your bird

Spin pottery, make his bird a vase :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

Go Lavattack!!

I'll be joining the quitter ranks on Monday, not my first time though.

I was off them for about 6 months a couple of years ago. Then had a bit of an identity crisis and a moment of stupid, weak rebellion and went back on them. I know I can quit them, the trick is to stay off them, so that's what I'm going to try and master this time round.

Was so glad to see your thread this morning. The Giving Up Smoking forum is good and helpful, but this thread made me laugh the way only AH can and has strengthened my resolve to go ahead with it on Monday.

Thanks Lavattack and best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

How are you getting on OP? You wouldn't think about reconsidering this whole quitting lark?

You mentioned that the cost was one of the motivating factors for this lifestyle change and some people suggested rollies. This was a good suggestion but obviously, they still cost money. What you could do instead is become one of those "I only smoke when drinking" types and bum off of your friends. That way, you get all the benefits of smoking without having to pay a penny and your mates will respect you more.

Well kept myself busy all day. Went to a friends house to do a quick job and then out to one of the lads house that doesn't smoke and just relaxed and played X-box. have serious cravings now but still haven't smoked which is the main thing

• Advertisement

How are you getting on OP? You wouldn't think about reconsidering this whole quitting lark?

You mentioned that the cost was one of the motivating factors for this lifestyle change and some people suggested rollies. This was a good suggestion but obviously, they still cost money. What you could do instead is become one of those "I only smoke when drinking" types and bum off of your friends. That way, you get all the benefits of smoking without having to pay a penny and your mates will respect you more.

Nah I can't stand people who do that myself, there is no way I be bumming around the place when we go out. I would feel too bad about it. Tis going ok so far. My mouth is getting a little sore but not too bad, just irritating :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

i'm thinking of clipping my toe-nails later on tonight, what do you think AH'ers, what technique should I use, could it be dangerous and what's the best implement to use? Navel gazes....... drools a bit...... pulls himself together. Grow a pair.ffs.

Solnskaya wrote: »
    i'm thinking of clipping my toe-nails later on tonight, what do you think AH'ers, what technique should I use, could it be dangerous and what's the best implement to use? Navel gazes....... drools a bit...... pulls himself together. Grow a pair.ffs.

Your the one who has plenty time to go out of your way to post a comment on my thread. No-one asked you dude

Solnskaya wrote: »

Use a garden shears.

Just heading away to the bed now.

Not as easy as yesterday for sure but sticking with it for now.

Really not looking forward to the morning but oh well lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Good luck with it OP.......It's certainly not easy for some. Tried many times myself, get to about 4 months and back again. Always seems really easy the first month and then I think the buzz of counting the days I'm off wears off.

Gonna give it another go in 2 weeks time when exams are over and start the C25K to motivate me to stay off them. Hoping it will refocus my mind as well to stay away from them.

Never mind those who are trying to get the rise out of ya in here, the rest of us are rooting for ya:)

Good luck with it OP.......It's certainly not easy for some. Tried many times myself, get to about 4 months and back again. Always seems really easy the first month and then I think the buzz of counting the days I'm off wears off.

Gonna give it another go in 2 weeks time when exams are over and start the C25K to motivate me to stay off them. Hoping it will refocus my mind as well to stay away from them.

Never mind those who are trying to get the rise out of ya in here, the rest of us are rooting for ya:)

Cheers,

Ya I am getting a laugh out of em to be fair. They complain about how sad it is but waste their own time on it anyway. I guess some people just have to be like that online.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I've been off them around 4 months but I took the easy way out and bought an electronic cigarette, no willpower required.

Good luck OP and you'll find plenty of support in the giving up smoking thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

jive wrote: »
    People who can't give up smoking sicken me (serious). If you don't have the will power to quit smoking then you are a sad person. It's not like a simple habit that might just occur such as biting your nails or something along those lines. You actually have to go to the shop, buy fags and light them. If you can't stop yourself from doing that all the while knowing that they are extremely detrimental to your health then you're actually a loser.

I hope this inspires you to not be a loser. Queue all the angry smokers who are mad at me. If you have a perfectly healthy body and you smoke then you deserve everything you get illness wise.

:D

Jive, your posts crack me up everytime!!!

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »
    You said I was trolling in another thread though. Feel free to point it out to me because I'm not a troll. My opinions may be controversial but the difference between me and a troll is that they are actually my opinions and I'm not just saying things to provoke people. If I wanted to provoke posters I could do a lot worse.

My point is that not being able to quit smoking says a lot about a person. If you don't have the dedication and will power to stop smoking (something which you have expressed you have the desire to do) then you are, in my eyes, a loser. If we like to dish out defintions then a loser is essentially someone who fails. If you can't quit smoking, something that you want to do, then you have failed i.e. you are a loser. I hope you do quit smoking and I'm not saying this to piss anyone off, it's my opinion and I'm sure some people agree but mightn't put it as bluntly as me.

Good luck, btw. Didn't realise you were the OP. Apparently the first few days are the worst, I'd imagine if you just set your mind to quitting after a few days you will be through the worst of it. 1 last one is a load of ****. You've gone a full day without them, do it for another few days and you are in the clear. I really can't see the difficulty and why people over complicate it. Best of luck

He redeemed himself in my book :)

Advertisement