Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiting New Years 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hi guys

I had my first big test about two hours ago. Something kind of crappy happened. I was standing beside a shop after the crappy thing happened and thought I really need a cigarette. It's funny it's the first time in over a week I've had that feeling. Anyway I got on my bike instead.

Now I don't even want one and feel much better now that I didn't give in. If I had given in I would felt crap about the crap thing and felt even more crap about giving in. And would have felt even crappier about the crap thing because it had made me give in. If you my drift....:)

Now I feel great that I didn't give in and I know that crap things can happen and I don't smoke after them.

So I've identified danger zone Number 1: When crappy things happen. - I am vulnerable but I will not give in because smoking will only make that crappy feeling worse.

I can't give in this time I just can't. Let all the crappy things happen - but at least the fact that I don't smoke is going to make me feel just great :D

Day 12

This is getting harder!

Tomorrow will be a big test. I will be consuming alcohol.
    Wouldn't it be great if I wake up on Friday with no nicotine in my system?

How is everyone else doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ulysses32

Hi guys,

Coming to the end of day 14 here and feeling quite good. i know what you mean dolliemix, about the alcohol, haven't been out for a beer since the quit and don't think I'm ready for that test yet! Let us know how you get on!

Just back from night out and first big test. I passed! Two glasses of wine later and no nicotine. (Although I did buy a burger on the way home which I never do).

I kept it at two glasses of wine to stay safe. I wonder would I have given in after three?

It wasn't too hard to be honest. Last time I gave up you was before the smoking ban so I don't know how I managed. It's a bit easier maybe with the smoking ban because I would have to physically move myself if I wanted to smoke.

I do miss the banter outside though!

Maybe it's just in my head but the cycle home seemed easier than normal

So on to Day 14.....

Another good evening. Three glasses of wine and no nicotine. At one point I had the best excuse in the world to have one and immediately thought, i need a cigarette for calm. But then I thought about the horrible taste and the fact that I'm finding it easier to cycle so I didn't give in. And here I am at home smoke free but very drunk!

This is all coming back to me. I remember the last time I gave up I used to get really drunk on less alcohol than when I smoked. And now its happening again. Can anyone else relate to this?

Anyway - Day 15 - half a month. My original target of three weeks is fast approaching. I'm glad I went out drinking. I was going to avoid it. But I feel super strong now that I know I can do the drinking thing and not smoke :)

• Advertisement

Ulysses32

Just noticed your post there. Hope you're doing ok.It feels great really but it's so hard at the same time.

Terenc

Thanks for the good wishes. Four months? Wow!! I'll try and keep alert for the 'unexpected' temptations. Do you feel great? You should. I wonder will I still be posting here in 3 and a half months time, like you, giving advice to a newbie?! :D

Today was easy. Just reminded myself that i 'used' to be a smoker! I don't think I craved a cigarette once today.

Not going to get complacent though. The evil addiction is bound to test me when I least expect it

Day 17 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

dolliemix wrote: »
    Just reminded myself that i 'used' to be a smoker

Well done & i like the positive attitude.

People out therre envy you. Best wishes

Mr Yellow wrote: »
    Well done & i like the positive attitude.

People out therre envy you. Best wishes

Thanks.

I saw your posts in the November thread. Are you still off them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Just back from night out and first big test. I passed! Two glasses of wine later and no nicotine.

Wow congratulations! Thats a major test to pass. I had a friend who was a pharmacist and he explained to me the chemistry of how alcahol quadruples the intensity of nicotine cravings. The two substances are opposite and complimentary and so the desire to smoke rises and in addition your decision making is messed with by the alcahol. The majority of my fails at quitting were alcahol related.

But you made it so thats great!

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Wow congratulations! Thats a major test to pass. I had a friend who was a pharmacist and he explained to me the chemistry of how alcahol quadruples the intensity of nicotine cravings. The two substances are opposite and complimentary and so the desire to smoke rises and in addition your decision making is messed with by the alcahol. The majority of my fails at quitting were alcahol related.

But you made it so thats great!

For now anyway!

Thanks for that explanation. Funnily enough, I tend to get overly logical when I'm drunk so this info should definitely help!

And well done you for getting over a year. Thats some achievement :)

You'll get an added strength when you get further into it, a kind "i cant go through this **** again" strength, when you realise the emotional price of quitting. At least i did anyway...

Thanks.

I saw your posts in the November thread. Are you still off them?

unfortunately i failed, after 2 damn months, just had so much sh*te going on i gave in!!! Building myself up for my next & final attempt tho, need to decide when

Mr Yellow wrote: »
    unfortunately i failed, after 2 damn months, just had so much sh*te going on i gave in!!! Building myself up for my next & final attempt tho, need to decide when

They(Carr?) say nine weeks is a really dangerous trigger time for some reason. Maybe the nicotine receptors in your brain are going through one last spasm who knows.

Jump right back on the wagon and in time the slip will hardly matter.

They(Carr?) say nine weeks is a really dangerous trigger time for some reason. Maybe the nicotine receptors in your brain are going through one last spasm who knows.

Jump right back on the wagon and in time the slip will hardly matter.

Hey InTheTrees

Yea, ive read allan carr books a few times now!!
    Not sure about the 9 week thing, however i do know a few people who failed around this time limit also.

Thanks for the words of inspiration, must get clean asap

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

For anyone out there who is struggling at the moment - stick with it - it will be worth it. I am off now more than 5 years and every day I am reminded of how lucky I am to be cured from smoking - you are not giving something - you are escaping from hell!

If you are using the Allan Carr book, keep reading & re-reading it!

When you cant read it - go over the points in your head...
    1) What were the silly influences that caused you to start in the first place?
    2) What benefits do you get from smoking? - Appearance? Attractiveness? Smell? Health? Financial? Cool?
    3) Do the mental arithmithic - 2 Packs per day X 8 Euros per day X 7 Days per week X 4 Weeks Per Month X 12 months Per Year X the last 15 years.....
    4) Go thru the health issues in your head...Lung Cancer, Throat Cancer, Cancer of the Mouth, Heart Disease, Clogged Arteries, More Teeth Decay, Emphesemia, Various ENT issues, Lack of fitness, reduced sexual performance, etc etc
    5) Think of the positive impact of giving up...More money, improved health, no bad breath, less stained teeth, reduced smoke skin aging, longer life, better sex (still not as often as I would like!!), not having to go outside for a smoke, no worrying when you can get the next smoke, being free, FREE , free , FREE ....Being free from the curse of smoking is the best thing of all.......Keep it up everyone and if you do get led astray dont give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭battser

Really helpful thread. My story so far only been smoking about 5 years and a few serious things cropped up in the last 6 months that have made me re think everything about smoking. My points and experiences are similar to what city center man has already said. However here are some more that really hit home...

I planned on giving up in 2010 regardless.
    My brother was in a throat cancer ward over xmas. He doesn't smoke and barely drinks (first sign). Seeing people with no voiceboxes and tubes coming out of their necks so they could get air to their lungs after half their throats being surgically removed, a lot of these people had only a pen and paper to communicate (Sign 2)
    I am a very open person and I like to enjoy whatever it is I do and I rarely think about consequences as long as I am happy. These things I have witnessed over the last few months have been instrumental in coming to terms with the fact that You cant be happy with everything you do and no matter what I thought happens happens in the future that my health was always going to suffer from smoking.

I gave up on the first and haven't smoked since. The first 10 days were easy. I couldn't believe it but its got slightly tougher since. I still have not had a cig but I am staying strong. I hope everyone else in the same boat is.

I was in a taxi last sat and the driver had no voicebox, removed as a result of smoking. Used an electronic voice device to speak. This was just another sign and reason for me why people should not smoke if you value your health. Think about this!

battser wrote: »
    Really helpful thread. My story so far only been smoking about 5 years and a few serious things cropped up in the last 6 months that have made me re think everything about smoking. My points and experiences are similar to what city center man has already said. However here are some more that really hit home...

I planned on giving up in 2010 regardless.
    My brother was in a throat cancer ward over xmas. He doesn't smoke and barely drinks (first sign). Seeing people with no voiceboxes and tubes coming out of their necks so they could get air to their lungs after half their throats being surgically removed, a lot of these people had only a pen and paper to communicate (Sign 2)
    I am a very open person and I like to enjoy whatever it is I do and I rarely think about consequences as long as I am happy. These things I have witnessed over the last few months have been instrumental in coming to terms with the fact that You cant be happy with everything you do and no matter what I thought happens happens in the future that my health was always going to suffer from smoking.

I gave up on the first and haven't smoked since. The first 10 days were easy. I couldn't believe it but its got slightly tougher since. I still have not had a cig but I am staying strong. I hope everyone else in the same boat is.

I was in a taxi last sat and the driver had no voicebox, removed as a result of smoking. Used an electronic voice device to speak. This was just another sign and reason for me why people should not smoke if you value your health. Think about this!

Wow that is scary. Sorry to hear about your brother. How is he doing?

I guess that could be any of us this time next year if we go back on them. I'd feel so guilty if I put my family through that, when I have the option now to remain strong and not give in.

I had another strong craving today at work, but I had no cigarettes near me and wouldn't have had time to go out purchase any, so I continued on, and forgot about them. I ended up just dealing with the mini crisis. I guess in the past smoking would have been an added stress, as I would have had to find a way to get the cigarette and then return to the mini-crisis anyway!

It is crazy really that you feel you're relieving stress by smoking, when in reality you're just adding to it.

I would have had a few more on the way home then, cos they were there!

Now I am sitting happy, smoke free, taste buds working, clean hair and clothes. But most of all I'm so frigging proud of myself that the days are adding up more than I expected myself.

I just can't wait for the three week mark, when I get to set another target! But all the time knowing I'm just taking one day at a time!

Well done Baster and City Centre Man. It does really help to know there are others out there like me!

Mr Yellow, it would be great to see you on board again. Remember you were inspiring me at first!

It is crazy really that you feel you're relieving stress by smoking, when in reality you're just adding to it.

One of the Carr factoids really made an impression on me.

The feeling that a cigarette is relaxing you is actually because when you haevnt smoked in a while (15mins? 20mins?) the withdrawl symptoms start making you edgy and irritable, so when you smoke you are in fact becoming more relaxed but only because you're delaying the withdrawl a little more. So you're actually smoking to stay normal, and thats all.

Its like an alcaholic saying having a drink relaxes them.

Hey guys & gals

@Battser - hope it works out for the best for your brother

@ Dollie mix - hopefully, i'll be one of you soon enough again. Must crack out Mr Allan Carrs book soon! Hopefully, my inspiration will come from you guys

When tempted, rejoice that you are not addicts to the worlds greatest killer. Turn to the reasons why you want to stay clean, not why you should spark up again, we all know its what we trully do not wnat to do!

KEEP IT UP :cool:

• Advertisement

Three weeks!!!

I have been feeling really run down though and I'm wondering could it be a later reaction than others to the cold turkey feeling because I wouldn't have been an everyday smoker. Maybe my body was used to the breaks and the evil nicotine man has only just realised that I'm actually giving up for good now. It's not a normal run-down feeling. I don't have a cold, I've a really dull headache, and I'm exhausted by five o clock every evening.

Anyway, I've no desire to smoke feeling like this so my new target of a month shouldn't be too hard to achieve next week. I saw some people standing outside a pub yesterday evening smoking as I was driving past and all I could think was, I don't know if I could ever kiss a man who smokes again, if I'm not smoking. (Last time I gave up, I went back on them because I started going out with a smoker).

Good luck everyone this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

into week 4 now...

week 1: really tough, had patches for 4 days then stopped them to see how it would be. Always carrying a patch, just in case!! Circulation was really bad.

week 2: still had the urge to go for a smoke once or twice during the week. Ignoring anything negative and focussing heavily on the positive things that happened me. itchy arms and legs due to bad circulation.

week 3: had a job interview.. and didn't even feel like I needed a smoke. I was too busy preparing for the interview. Felt like I achieved something major when I finished the interview, because it taught me that even in a very high pressure situation, I don't need a smoke.

Week 4: ... things are going good.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

One of the Carr factoids really made an impression on me.

The feeling that a cigarette is relaxing you is actually because when you haevnt smoked in a while (15mins? 20mins?) the withdrawl symptoms start making you edgy and irritable, so when you smoke you are in fact becoming more relaxed but only because you're delaying the withdrawl a little more. So you're actually smoking to stay normal, and thats all.

Its like an alcaholic saying having a drink relaxes them.

BTW having read this made it much easier. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

i am of them since new year to. like above po i used patches for a week then cold turkey. I went out for a few pints friday night a robbed a fag and smoked about a fifth of it. it was disgusting i nearly got sick, couldnt drink any more and had to go home. they say first nine weeks are the hardest.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

That's two people now have mentioned about the patches for an initial bit and then cold turkey. Did ye find this particularly helpful? I'm off them less than a week and on patches, but really just want to get all the nicotine out of my body by going cold turkey. Wondering if maybe the cravings are lessened by having been on the patches for a short while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

They are indeed i went on the mid strength for a week and i hardly had any cravings. I went to pub last night and was in the company of smokers. I never even thought about them i was delighted and i had a clear head this morning after a good skelp of the black stuff..

malcox wrote: »
    They are indeed i went on the mid strength for a week and i hardly had any cravings. I went to pub last night and was in the company of smokers. I never even thought about them i was delighted and i had a clear head this morning after a good skelp of the black stuff..

It's a great feeling I agree! Still have to pinch myself when I wake up and realise I didn't smoke the night before.

I'd stopped counting but I don't want to get complacent so I'm going to congratulate myself again for making it to Day 33 !!! :D

Non smokers - how goes it??? Hope everyone is staying postive & even more importantly, i hope everyone is staying clean :)

I still havent got me mind set to quit the dreaded plague, well not just yet...

Day 50!

next milestone day 51....still taking each day at a time but in two weeks time I will be a non-smoker on my 35th birthday

By Day 100 I will be running 5k non stop thanks to Couch 2 5k program.

What a turn around in just three months!

• Advertisement

Hey folks,

Hope those of you who went clean are leading a clean healthy existence still

I finally got around to freeing myself from the dreaded addiction, day 4 & enjoying it to be honest, im so glad that im free.

For those who havent yet take the plunge DO IT! Ive been risng alot earlier in the mornings & i admit i feel more energetic & connsiderably healthier already.

Keep up the good work friends...

Advertisement