Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiting New Years 2010

Options
  • 21-12-2009 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping to start my final ever quit on the 2nd of January. If there is anyone out there planning to give it a shot or anyone who has successfully quit i'd love to hear your suggestions that helped.

After trying and failing 4 times in the last 18 months, the longest being 4 months of smokes i'm really determined to quit once and for all. I've been smoking since i was 13 (about 14 years), 20 a day for the last 10 of them.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

I smoked fairly heavily from the age of 13 to 43 when I gave them up. I am 48 now and thankfully I see no temptation at all to go back.

Before quitting, I tried unsuccessfully a number of times using various methods including willpower alone, hypnosis, nicotine chewing gum.

The combination that worked for me was :
    a) Getting to the point of really really wanting to give them up;
    b) Going on Alan Carrs - Easyway to give Up Smoking course;
    c) Reading the Alan Carr book.
    d) introduction of the smoking ban in pubs.

I asked my wife that year to enroll me on the Alan Carr course as my Christmas present.

The course was good but it was'nt a "Magic bullet". But in conjunction with the book, I eventually gave them up.

Having smoked for so long, I honestly had little memory of what it was like to spend a day without smoking. My memories of "Nicotine Deprivation" were limited to the agony of translantic flights & associated withdrawal that that entailed. My brain, both concious & subconcious were horrified at the prospect of never never being able to enjoy a cigerette ever again.

What I liked about Alan Carr's method was that it gave me a different perspective in that smoking was'nt something that I was giving up but rather, it was a hell / prison from which I was escaping.

Effectively it is almost like a "Positive Brain Washing" experience which counteracts all of the Negative Brainwashing that we recieve throughout our smoking career. By Negative Brainwashing I mean:
    a) Advertising;
    b) Sponsorship;
    c) Cool portrayal of smokers on TV, Media;
    d) The conflicting advice from other smokers who (to children & non-smokers) advise against smoking but still continue to do so themselves (and appear to enjoy themselves)
    e) The advice that giving up is very very difficult & that tremendous willpower is required.

The approach starts off not by trying to persuade you to stop but rather it forces you to question why you ever started in the first place and what is it about smoking that could possibly cause you to want to continue.

Does it make you live longer?
    Does it make you more attractive to the opposite sex?
    Does it make you smell better?
    Is it going to make you rich?
    In terms of enjoyment how does it compare with sex?
    etc etc etc

It also makes you question your apparant "enjoyment" of those cigerettes that everyone really enjoys or thinks that they do...

With coffee after a big meal;
    After sex;
    First thing in the morning;
    After a flight...

But you are forced to realize that the reasons that these are enjoyable is simply and only because these follow a long period of "deprivation" and your body, in its nicotine addicted state, is screaming at you to give it some nicotine. As such the perceived enjoyment is'nt like sex it is just the relief felt by a junkie getting his / her fix.

Having established that smoking is totally illogical & that the only reason that you smoke is because of the physical addiction he then moves on to outline and to get you to convince yourself of the benefits of stopping:

1) I was spending about EU100 / week (which cost has now been offset by 2 kids so i am not any richer anyway!)
    2) Cheaper life insurance;
    3) Wheeze gone
    4) Fitter;
    5) Wife says I smell better;
    6) Hopefully will longer;
    7) Less likely to get cancer
    etc etc

The AC method also goes a long way to addressing the myth that smoking is so so hard to "give up". The physical addiction, in reality lasts only about 3 - 4 weeks and effectively the stregth of it is further reduced each day.

It is the mental addiction which I had always found hard to deal with and this is the part that Alan Carr addresses so well. When you have convinced yourself that:

a) There are no good logical reasons to continue;
    b) Smoking has no benefits whatsoever;
    c) Giving up has loads & loads of benefits;
    d) Giving up is going to be a lot easier than everyone make out.

Then your brain, both concious & subconcious, is faced with a dilemna that makes it difficult to continue. at that point, the only issue to be addressed is the physical addiction and to be honest - its not that bad.

The Alan Carr book, "The Easy Way to Give Up smoking" will cost you less than the price of 2 packets of cigerettes. I would honestly recommend it to you as being a no-lose option.

It is a sad reflection of the dangers of smoking that Alan Carr himself left it too late and he died of lung cancer. I hope that I did'nt leave it too late and that you dont either.

I have been free from smoking now for 5 years and my most frequent nightmare is that I wake up all blocked up & back smoking again.

I wish you all the best in your quest to escape from your smoking addiction. It is something that you wont ever regret doing.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

:D thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

wow city centre man! Fantastic post. Plenty of food for thought there. I have never tried alan carr but i think i'll give it a go. I hope to start me own family in the next couple of years and i want to be well clear of smokes before I start trying. My partner smokes and has no intention of quitting at the moment but i'm sure he will in the next while. I have no intention of pushing the issue with him as I think you have to get there on your own! Methinks Easons might be getting a visit on St Stephens day;)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

Thanks for the thanks & I wish both of you all the best in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I smoked fairly heavily from the age of 13 to 43 when I gave them up. I am 48 now and thankfully I see no temptation at all to go back. :)

Almost exactly my story except I started at 15 and quit Jan1st 2009.

It'll be a year tomorrow since I had my last. Not a puff since.

Health and nicotine gum did it. 6 months before quitting I started working out hard so by jan1st I was really feeling held back by cigs and was ready to quit, since then I've turned into mr.annoyinglyhealthy, but damn it feels good.

Very best of luck to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Dont make the mistake of trying to do everything at once would be my advice! People tend to get ahead of themselves on new years trying to do it all like dieting, quitting the drink and excercising more. If you get bored of one your brain will go into overdrive and make cravings more heavy.
    Just focus on the fags!!

Remember when you put your last one down your a non-smoker. You dont have to choose to be a smoker

Best of luck

I used a lot of Carr's info but not the course.

I really liked how he explodes the myth that cigs relax you and points out that the "relaxation" or calming you feel is simply the easing of nicotine withdrawl symptoms.

Somehow that struck a chord with me, it made me realise I wasnt using cigs i was a slave to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭mjg

Stopped for two days now, lost track of how many times I've stopped over the years. Stopping smoking was actually the reason that I joined boards.ie.

This time though....

Good luck to all who are planning on stopping, well done to all that have stopped already.

Happy New Year Without Nicotine.

best of luck Mjg.

You're on day two so tomorrow or the next day will be the worst, after that you could start to feel some improvement but it'll be slight and subtle.

What I found was that after the initial 3day break the feelings eased really slightly and subtly.

In other words day to day you may not feel improvement but when you're on Day Five you'll certainly be able to notice feeling better than on Day Two.

So hang in there. It WILL get easier soon. And let us know how its going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭sqlpod

Stopping New Years Day, heads in the right place , thanks to Saint allen Carr downloaded audio and just let him explain the stupidity of smoking, and that I am not giving up anything just getting my life back.
    Also got Paul McKenna's stop smoking audio on download not as good as AC but it gives you alternate tip's that may help if you need it.
    Good luck to anyone stopping and just remember your giving up only one thing DRUG ADDICTION !!!

• Advertisement

Its a small thing but I think quitting on the dot of midnight new years day really helped me.

Throughout the last year I've know to the minute how long its been that i've quit, i just look at the date.

And I had it in my mind that if I failed I'd have to wait until the next new years day which was unacceptable to me and helped give me some strength.

sqlpod wrote: »
    Stopping New Years Day, heads in the right place , thanks to Saint allen Carr downloaded audio and just let him explain the stupidity of smoking, and that I am not giving up anything just getting my life back.
    Also got Paul McKenna's stop smoking audio on download not as good as AC but it gives you alternate tip's that may help if you need it.
    Good luck to anyone stopping and just remember your giving up only one thing DRUG ADDICTION !!!

Best of luck to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭sqlpod

Thanks Mike, and although my wife and I are not quiting on the stroke it wont be long after as we have a little ceremony to perform, just to embed it into ourselves,
    God how these horrid things take you over, but now it's time too take over and prove its only MIND over MATTER...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Just to say - I'm not an anti smoker by any means (off them since August 22nd 2009 - 4 months :D) but this article helped me as did the link underneath it.

The Golden Rule is "Never take another Puff" (courtesy Joel Spitzer quit smoking guide)

To many, cold turkey conjures up visions of torturous pain, suffering and general drudgery. In fact, it is easier to stop smoking using the cold turkey method than by using any other technique. Cold turkey induces less suffering and creates a shorter period of withdrawal. Most important, cold turkey is the approach by which the smoker has the best chance of success.

Smokers must recognize that they are drug addicts. Nicotine is a powerfully addictive drug. Once the smoker has smoked for a fairly long time, the body requires maintenance of a certain level of nicotine in the bloodstream. If this level is not maintained, the smoker will experience varying degrees of drug withdrawal. The lower the level, the greater the intensity. As long as any nicotine remains in the bloodstream the body will keep craving its full complement. Once the smoker quits, the nicotine level will eventually drop to zero and all physical withdrawal will cease. Cravings for an occasional cigarette may continue, but this is due to past psychological conditioning and not to a physical dependence.

Cutting down on cigarettes or use of nicotine replacement strategies throws the smoker into a chronic state of drug withdrawal. As soon as the smoker fails to reach the minimum requirement of nicotine, the body starts demanding it. As long as there is any nicotine in the bloodstream, the body will demand its old requirement. Smoking just one or two a day or wearing a patch which is gradually reducing the amount of nicotine being delivered will result in the smoker not achieving the minimum required level, creating a chronic state of peak drug withdrawal.

This state will continue throughout the rest of the smoker's life unless one of two steps is taken to rectify it. First, the smoker can stop delivering nicotine altogether. Nicotine will be metabolized or totally excreted from the body and the withdrawal will stop forever. Or, the smoker can return to the old level of consumptions accomplishing nothing.

Therefore, cold turkey is the method of choice. Once the smoker stops, withdrawal will end within two weeks. If you smoke, we can help you over this crucial period of time. Once it is past, you can rest assured that you will never need to smoke again. Then, to stay off you will simply need to remember to Never Take Another Puff!

Read this FREE E-Book - it worked for me:

http://whyquit.com/NTAP_large_print_212_pages.pdf

The best way I can explain the feeling is being "Free" - I even get a buzz out of the fact that when I'm travelling by plane I'm not thinking "when/where can I get a smoke?!"

Best of Luck to everyone trying - the first 3 days are the worst, then it gets easier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bmw316

smoking like mad for the last 5 months those 5 euro packs of crap me heart nearly came up my throat today will have to give up now i have seen the light i did not think i make it through today that kink is very good so here goes i give it a shot

Good luck! One day at a time, get through the three days and it'll start to get easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ulysses32

Hi all,

I am on Day four of the quit. I am using patches and things are going okay. Day three(yesterday was brutal), things improved today. Anybody else using patches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭poster

Is your new years resolution to give up the cigarettes? Why not double the effect of giving up by donating the price of one packet of cigarettes to the Childrens’ Hospital Crumlin. Visit the Childrens Hospital page to donate. They care for Ireland’s most gravely ill children. Many have medical conditions no child should have to face. On the wards you’ll meet children with genetic disorders, heart problems, diabetes, severe bowel and intestinal problems, severe injury. The list goes on. They come from all corners of Ireland by road, rail and bus. Their air ambulance service brings children to the hospital who are gravely sick, or who need to travel for urgent organ transplant to the UK.

But the hospital is under severe financial pressure. Please make an inspiring donation to ensure they can provide the most appropriate equipment, the newest and best treatments, the right facilities. Help them heal, sooth, cure and send Ireland’s most ill children back to their families where they belong.
    Imagine knowing that your wonderful gift helped them do that? What a feeling of pride and achievement in these dark times! Thank You Go to www.tomcolton.com to donate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Hi, Im hoping to give up monday. Im on nights that week so it is going to be tough. I can manage no problem when Im in work for 3.5hours, then its break time and suddenly Im dying for a smoke. I know its in my head, so I just need to get it out of my head!!
    I was off them a few years ago for 10 months, so I know I can do it. My fear is knowing I can NEVER smoke again, and thats what makes me crack. Am going to try the minute at a time thing that I have read about in another thread.
    Just saw an ad for nicotine mini mints, anyone seen it? What do you think?
    The very best of luck to all who are making 2010 the year they change their lives forever. Hope to hear how it is going for you all!!!
    Good luck!

I've used the patches and gum and lozenges at different times..

I found the patches were too much of a constant dose. Smoking is really about highs and lows and the patches didn't give me that. I was also having really intense vivid dreams.

The gum was great, but the best I've found is the lozenges(that's what they call them here in the us). They last about fifteen mins so they're most similar to cigs in their delivery of nicotine.

I passed one year on jan1st and I really don't think I could have done it without them.

• Advertisement

Cadyboo wrote: »
    My fear is knowing I can NEVER smoke again, and thats what makes me crack.

Oh god I know that feeling!

The evil little nicotine receptors in your brain are playing games with you. The good thing is those crisis periods only last a few minutes and if you can get through that your winning.

Hang in there and it will get easier.

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Hi, Im hoping to give up monday. Im on nights that week so it is going to be tough. I can manage no problem when Im in work for 3.5hours, then its break time and suddenly Im dying for a smoke. I know its in my head, so I just need to get it out of my head!!

This is the perfect example of just how much of the smoking thing is HABIT. If you can find something else to do at those times when you would normally be smoking (break-times, after a meal, first thing in morning etc.) then you're halfway there. For me, my giving up coincided with changing jobs.(used to be a barman) I didn't realise what an advantage this was until my ex-boss asked me back to give him a dig-out for a night. I was grand all night, no bother, until it was half 11 and time for my break. I couldn't believe how strong the craving was! So strong that i had to leave the pub for my break and stand outside! THIS WAS THREE YEARS LATER!!
    My fear is knowing I can NEVER smoke again, and thats what makes me crack.

This was huge for me too, i never wanted to smoke again, but at the same time just couldn't handle the vastness of never, ever being able to smoke again and falling back into the habit.
    My solution, and i understand this isn't for everyone, was to carry a pack around with me everywhere. When i gave up i had 16 smokes left in the box and i carried them around with me for about 3 months in my jacket pocket. Every time i changed jackets, i put them in the next jacket so they were always at hand like a sort of comfort-blanket. I knew i could always have one if i really wanted (and on a couple of occasions actually had one in my mouth, but didn't light it...) so for me, the panic and the "never ever having one again" just faded away. After three months i felt i was strong enough to get rid of 15 of them and just kept 1 in the box until a year had passed. Then one day i realised i had forgotten to transfer the box to my new jacket and had in fact washed the pack in the jacket over a week earlier! Knew i was ok then. Maybe not ideal for everyone, but deffo helped me. For what it's worth, i'm 9 and a half years off them now but still get the odd, slight craving. Dont think it ever fully goes away so dont beat urself up too bad if you're still getting cravings in a few months...

I was off them a few years ago for 10 months, so I know I can do it. My fear is knowing I can NEVER smoke again, and thats what makes me crack.

The best advice I can give you is to take ONE day at a time. One day. Just tell yourself you won't smoke today. That's it. You'll also have a sense of satisfaction when you get into bed every night after another day smoke-free.
    If you start thinking about the weekend and your friend's party and the summer holidays and next Christmas you'll freak out.
    One day at a time, it's the ONLY way to go.

Nothing and nobody can make you crack but yourself, and you're well able to do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

This was huge for me too, i never wanted to smoke again, but at the same time just couldn't handle the vastness of never, ever being able to smoke again and falling back into the habit.
    My solution, and i understand this isn't for everyone, was to carry a pack around with me everywhere. When i gave up i had 16 smokes left in the box and i carried them around with me for about 3 months in my jacket pocket. Every time i changed jackets, i put them in the next jacket so they were always at hand like a sort of comfort-blanket. I knew i could always have one if i really wanted (and on a couple of occasions actually had one in my mouth, but didn't light it...) so for me, the panic and the "never ever having one again" just faded away. After three months i felt i was strong enough to get rid of 15 of them and just kept 1 in the box until a year had passed. Then one day i realised i had forgotten to transfer the box to my new jacket and had in fact washed the pack in the jacket over a week earlier! Knew i was ok then. Maybe not ideal for everyone, but deffo helped me. For what it's worth, i'm 9 and a half years off them now but still get the odd, slight craving. Dont think it ever fully goes away so dont beat urself up too bad if you're still getting cravings in a few months...
    I might try that alright as I will have some left in the morning. Got an inhaler thing to have something to do with hands.
    Thanks so much for all your support!!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Steo46

I smoked my last just before midnight on Arthur's day. I know I will never smoke again. I had a few hairy moments where I was going through my pockets looking for the fags but I just thought about the health benefits and the financial gain and that got me through so far. Good luck to everybody who are quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

read the whyquit book. it was great, have to say ive read every book on addiction i could get my eyeballs on. this quit is by far the easiest quit ive ever done. but i wont forget that one puff can knock this all back to day one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ramb73

Try Alan Carr - worked for me, my husband and many friends - now off them over 5 years!!! http://www.allencarrseasyway.co.uk/mall/departmentpage.cfm/AllenCarr/_164022

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ahsurelookit

Podgeandrodge, that was a great post. I am off them 3 days, cold turkey. That post has reaffirmed what I was thinking. Ive bought the gum just incase I got really bad but I dont want to use it as I just want the nicotine gone from my body. So far so good, apart from the lightheadedness when I have a craving, but I can deal with that! I have been building myself up for this since early december and started when I bought my new car by giving up smoking while driving- was prob the place I smoked most, ya know the usual set of traffic lights where you light up etc, etc I would suggest it to people who want to give up, eliminate places of habit one by one.

My boyfriend is finding it really tough to give them up though, hes having mood swings, road rage, the lot!!! I will have to show him that article later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hi my name is Dollie and I am an addict!

There I've said it! I gave up for four years and went back on them about six years ago. I came across this forum a few days ago. Since going back on them I would only smoke socially or when I felt very stressed. So I convinced myself that since I had been able to give up for four years, and since I don't smoke daily, that I was in control. Wrong!

Reading the threads in this forum I've realised that I really am addicted.

I've had health problems in the past related to smoking and really, I know in my heart, cutting down is not enough.

I decided I'd re read Allen Carr, which I read the first time around a few days ago after coming across some advice on this forum. But I haven't been able to get into town to buy it because of the snow.

Yesterday, because I was trying to keep warm and find stuff to do, I started cleaning out shelves and cupboards, that I probably haven't touched in a few months. Lo and behold- what was staring at me only Allen Carr's book!

I'm taking this as a sign. I was smoking New Years Eve and the night after and I really wanted one since but I know when I get back into the swing of things (haven't been out or at work since because of the weather) I'll be wanting one.

But I really, really want to be a non-smoker again.

I know I can't even have a drag - because that's what got me started again last time.

Could this be the year, when I finally quit properly for once and for all?

Good luck to everyone else who is trying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Hi dolliemix
    I really hope you succeed, its tough , its has to be one of the toughest things you'll ever do and its ongoing, so many feckin battles happening, it creeps up on you when you least expect it.
    I was 30 a day , gave them up so many times and still ended back smoking, always short term. :mad::mad:
    Am into my fourth month now and its great, but even has I WRITE NOW Iam thinking about having a cig but not has bad has it was two days ago, its down to two days or one day I remember when it was every 15 minutes, 25 minutes and on and on.
    I really hope you do it

Advertisement