Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiting New Years 2010

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hi Mr Yellow.

Great to hear you back! Well done....those first few days are hard!

I'm still off them. Nearly six months now. Had one slip up in April when I had one cigarette, but instead of beating myself up about it at the time, I just said, I've done so well so far I'm just going to keep at it......and I haven't had one since!

I ran a whole 10k in the Dublin Womens Mini Marathon at the beginning of June. (I took up running a month after I gave up in Feb)

I was away for the weekend with loads of smokers in Germany, where you're allowed smoke in the pubs. EVERYBODY was smoking around me and I barely noticed or even thought about having one. Ironically, I ended up coming home with a sore throat and the others were fine!

I'd hate to be back where you are, but you are so brilliant to start again! You will get there, just be hard on yourself for a few weeks and then you'll feel that 'free' feeling that Allen Carr talks about before you know it.

I can't describe how fantastic it feels to be off them for 6months.

I'm starting a training plan to run a half marathon when I come back from my holidays in August.

Hope I'm not sounding smug. I am really excited that you're back and on Day 4 already. Its been my greatest achievement in a long time to get this far. I never thought I'd get here. I'd forgotten about this thread so its wonderful to read through it again.

Thanks for your encouragement back when I needed it. I hope I can repay the favour in the weeks ahead. I know its a massive cliche but it really does get much easier. Just take each moment and day at a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Just to say - I'm not an anti smoker by any means (off them since August 22nd 2009 - 4 months :D) but this article helped me as did the link underneath it.

The Golden Rule is "Never take another Puff" (courtesy Joel Spitzer quit smoking guide)

To many, cold turkey conjures up visions of torturous pain, suffering and general drudgery. In fact, it is easier to stop smoking using the cold turkey method than by using any other technique. Cold turkey induces less suffering and creates a shorter period of withdrawal. Most important, cold turkey is the approach by which the smoker has the best chance of success.

Smokers must recognize that they are drug addicts. Nicotine is a powerfully addictive drug. Once the smoker has smoked for a fairly long time, the body requires maintenance of a certain level of nicotine in the bloodstream. If this level is not maintained, the smoker will experience varying degrees of drug withdrawal. The lower the level, the greater the intensity. As long as any nicotine remains in the bloodstream the body will keep craving its full complement. Once the smoker quits, the nicotine level will eventually drop to zero and all physical withdrawal will cease. Cravings for an occasional cigarette may continue, but this is due to past psychological conditioning and not to a physical dependence.

Cutting down on cigarettes or use of nicotine replacement strategies throws the smoker into a chronic state of drug withdrawal. As soon as the smoker fails to reach the minimum requirement of nicotine, the body starts demanding it. As long as there is any nicotine in the bloodstream, the body will demand its old requirement. Smoking just one or two a day or wearing a patch which is gradually reducing the amount of nicotine being delivered will result in the smoker not achieving the minimum required level, creating a chronic state of peak drug withdrawal.

This state will continue throughout the rest of the smoker's life unless one of two steps is taken to rectify it. First, the smoker can stop delivering nicotine altogether. Nicotine will be metabolized or totally excreted from the body and the withdrawal will stop forever. Or, the smoker can return to the old level of consumptions accomplishing nothing.

Therefore, cold turkey is the method of choice. Once the smoker stops, withdrawal will end within two weeks. If you smoke, we can help you over this crucial period of time. Once it is past, you can rest assured that you will never need to smoke again. Then, to stay off you will simply need to remember to Never Take Another Puff!

Read this FREE E-Book - it worked for me:

http://whyquit.com/NTAP_large_print_212_pages.pdf

The best way I can explain the feeling is being "Free" - I even get a buzz out of the fact that when I'm travelling by plane I'm not thinking "when/where can I get a smoke?!"

Best of Luck to everyone trying - the first 3 days are the worst, then it gets easier!

I'm 10 months off them now, not even one drag. All down to the free book linked to above.

Still love the smell of a smoke and haven't turned into an anti smoker :)

(I will admit to feeling a sense of superiority when a mate has to go outside to have a smoke ;) )

Good luck to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

dolliemix - thanks for the reply. You def are an inspiration, it certainly has been life changing for ya.
    Always remeber why you gave up, it is to slip as i have many a time in the past! You dont sound smug by the way, just positively happy & its definitely the way to go. Keep up the healthy lifestyle

I was out over the weekend & most of the friends i was with were smokers. However, i have noticed recently alot of my friends have gone off / in the process of regaining their lives (i wont say quitting coz we are gaining, not losing something). It weird that i only noticed this recently when deciding the right timing for killing the addiction, must have me head in the sand previously!!!

podgeandrodge - good on ya, congrats to your great achievement also.
    Its strange you mention it, I had a very sporty friend who never ever smoked & he alwasy mentioned he loved the smell of a freshly lit cigarette, same here sadly!

Almost a week now, & not a problem so far. Still think about smoking etc but im delighted to know im a non-smoker, & determined to stay this way!

Apologies if im rambling, its late & this buck is tired!! Keep the faith :cool:

Good for you Mr Yellow. Weekends are hard so you did really well.

Good luck this week! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

i quit on jan 1st... smoked two cigarettes until the 5th of may then got bored while studying and started again...

been smoking over the last ten years, but for 7 if that makes sense...

i enjoy the taste and habitual nature of it you know?

anyway, i'm 20, and into fitness but cant seem to get it into my head to stay off em

• Advertisement

Sparkles:) wrote: »
    i quit on jan 1st... smoked two cigarettes until the 5th of may then got bored while studying and started again...

been smoking over the last ten years, but for 7 if that makes sense...

i enjoy the taste and habitual nature of it you know?

anyway, i'm 20, and into fitness but cant seem to get it into my head to stay off em

How did you give up in the first place? Was it cold turkey? Great that you gave your lungs a break for five months. I agree with the habitual part of it but I can't say I ever loved the taste. The after taste is ugh. My favorite part of giving up is waking up in the morning without that taste in my mouth! Are you going to try and give up again soon?

How are you getting on Mr Yellow?

Hey guys & gals

Hi Dollie mix, are ya well? :D Almost 3 weeks now, doing good to be honest! Ive plenty free time so when im much busier i prob wont even think about smoking (possibly going back 2 college, possible threat :eek: )

Sparkles mah man, do you remember how sh*ty you felt when you sparked up again?? - think thats what keeps me clean & happy, i dont want to feel like that again. I feel much better, fresher each morning. Not to mention i obviously smell better & not conscious of bad breath!
    Evaluate the pro's & cons of smoking - it is an addiction, rememeber! If the exams are finished, pick up a copy of Allan Carrs book. Hope you can join us again soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 New York

Well done Dolliemix, its great that you are off them 6 months now. I am off the cigarettes 9.5 weeks now and fingers crossed I will reach the 6 months. :)

Back from holidays and not one cigarette. I had one very slight craving for a brief second in the whole three weeks. I was in Japan and you're allowed smoke in restaurants and pubs but not outside on the street. It was really strange because it was really hot and humid so you try and take a break from the heat by getting a coffee in an air conditioned cafe. Only the relief from the heat was a smoky cold room! I really felt sorry for the smokers but not in a smug way. I just felt the heat was so uncomfortable outside and then the smokers get relief by feeling their lungs with nicotine and tar. When we went out at night, even just to restaurants, our clothes would stink of cigarettes the next day. Its a pain in the ass when you're trying to keep washing to a minimum, cos we were backpacking and moving from place to place a lot and didn't always have time to wash our clothes. I don't mind being around smokers but I can't wear clothes that smell of smoke a 2nd time. I will be at month 8 in a few days. It was a wonderful smoke free holiday!!! There was a good bit of walking and climbing steps up to temples and shrines in unbelieveable heat. I know I would have been really suffering as a smoker! I cant believe it and I'm still really privately proud of myself! :)

Hope everybody else is feeling the same still! How are you all getting on? New York you will make the 6 months. Almost there! Mr Yellow you must be over your first month now?

Hey Dolliemix, well well - fair play to you. Its great to hear not only did u manage to stay off them whilst on holiday but u managed to only get one craving.

That's terrific news and I can imagine how proud u must be of yourself. Its great when you do get one of those moments and look back, sometimes we do forget how hard it is and when those moments come along I always want to pinch myself. Thats great about being in Japan and managing to stay away from them especially when u can still smoke indoors (mad that u cant smoke out on the streets but can smoke away inside!) I can only imagine the smell of smoke on your clothes.
    Do you my skin is beggining to look so much better now and I love that because my skin always looked quite dull and I also paid for a weekend away in Portugal with my 'smoke free money'!! So I am feeling quite proud this evening as well :) Keep up the good work and well done on traveling through Japan without a cigarette. :)

• Advertisement

Hey Dolliemix, if u have any tips on running I would be keen to hear therm. I used to run and would u believe one of my main reasons to give up smokes was to run harder but I havent ran in 10 weeks. I am finding it hard to run but walk an awful lot so I would welcome any tips u have. U just very motivated where running is concerned :)

New York wrote: »
    Hey Dolliemix, if u have any tips on running I would be keen to hear therm. I used to run and would u believe one of my main reasons to give up smokes was to run harder but I havent ran in 10 weeks. I am finding it hard to run but walk an awful lot so I would welcome any tips u have. U just very motivated where running is concerned :)

Hi New York

Thanks for encouragement!

I'm actually a bit apprehensive like you about running again after a four week break. I'm going to start off this week and try doing two twenty minute runs really slowly. I'm still completely jet lagged so I don't want to over do it. If I just get 10 min run done tha first night and walk the rest thats fine. I'll aim for 20 then the following night and 30 after that depending on how I feel. I plan to do one of Hal Higdons programs from next week. They are super for motivating and there are a few poeple on boards following them too. I find when I pick a race and train for it worked for me up until now. I did the c25k program and at the end of the nine weeks did my first 5k race. Then I used the HH program for 10k for novices leading up to the WOmen's Mini Marathon.

From next week I'm going to try this program which should have me running 10 miles in 10 or eleven weeks. There is a 10 mile race in Cork 12 weeks from now and I'll use that as my aim. God knows if I'll do it but I'll certainly aim for it and I've managed to nicely surprise myself so far this year. I also kept a training log for the lead up on both events here on boards and I got wonderful advice and encouragement throughout!

...and the main thing is it has helped as a total distraction from smoking. Its definitely been a huge part of my giving up journey. Plus I've managed to lose over two stone since starting in Feb and keep it off (one of my fears about giving up smoking was I would gain more weight).

I would definitely recommend you try one of the Hal Higdon programs. Sign up for some race now so there's no going back! You'll be fine. You said you ran before. You won't believe the difference when you get out there again with smoke free lungs!

Hey huys & gals

Dolliemix - envious of your hol, japan is on me list! Hope you had great few weeks.

New York - good on ya, keep it up. Im sure you'll be running like a mad man in no time! Funny how positive choices can & will impact our lives. I've taken out the bike recently, next will be a pair of new running shoes..

Im at week 7 now, had to check that frst post earlier in the thread as to when i posted i was free :D. (im obv bot wallowing in misery from quitting so the time period doesnt matter, as long as im clean & free!

We should't have regrets but rejoice! As you already mentioned, you don't envy but pity the smoker. Really is great to be able to breathe in the mornings aint it...

Keep the head high folks

Great to hear Mr Yellow! Hope you make it to Japan. Its amazing!

Advertisement