Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Mine is fine. Same as last year. I'd nearly say the glass is cleaner this year than last, which would indicate less moisture.

I split some of the larger logs down to kindling as they light so easily. I just put a match to the small pieces and off they go. No fire lighters/paper needed. And the small ones catch the big logs directly.

I did feel that the wood store I built to take a pallet was not as full as it usually would be though. Feels like it's less wood for more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is 4 euro the new price for bags of kindling across all the supermarkets now or are any still doing the old price of 3 quid?

Must say Im very happy with the order of oak from Premium Pellets. I put a large log on the fire last night at 10.20pm and it took till midnight for it to be turned to glowing embers, I couldnt believe how long it took to fully burn through

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

1.2 cbm Oak from Monahans -

Use discount code OAK20 at the online checkout on www.monahans.ie you will receive an extra €20 off a 1.2 metre crate of Kiln Dried Oak. Code expires 30/11/22

Anyone tried Kenny Fuels?

Edit: looks like they're out of stock on a fair few things. The 2m³ of birch is in stock. Some price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Not to take away from your discount heads up but I'm not happy with the last load of oak I got from Monahan's .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just looked at that Kenny fuels site and saw the 1.2 Birch crate. I got one of those from a branch of Topline hardware. It was €340 with no claims of being on offer. It was delivered and the crate craned to right outside the door where I wanted it. I usually buy timber by the trailer load, this was expensive in comparison (messing on someone else's part left me too late to get the local timber) but dry and burns well. Only criticism is that some of the split logs are a bit small, they burn faster than a substantial log. I will be looking for the local trailer loads again next year though.

I am still burning the last bit of sycamore that was felled in the garden a couple of years ago, that was excellent. I also got more back on the mulch and timber than it cost to get it cut!

I've always used oak. Bought from a few different suppliers. The last one from Monahan's is lighter in colour and burns more quickly. Doesn't have that rich oaky smell that would hit you when you open the garage door. I suspect it's either not oak or not dried properly/long enough. I don't know a lot about it, maybe these variances are normal. Will be going back to a previous supplier for next year.

Posted about it earlier in the thread shortly after I bought. People seemed to think it was oak.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119314096/#Comment_119314096

I don't know, it's definitely different. Will just go back to previous supplier next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

People should realise there is more than one oak. Most oak that is used in construction that is not specifically English/Sessile Oak is American Oak. American Oak is much paler wood than English Oak. I've not burnt American Oak but its as dense as English Oak so I suspect it burns much the same.

I've cut up a lot of Spanish Oak which is just rubbish to burn in comparison to English Oak. Spanish Oak looks a lot like English Oak but is much lighter when you pick up a log. Nicest of all is the evergreen Holly Oak (Holm Oak) which produces a very heavy well figured timber that burns really well giving out lots of heat. In Ireland I believe the Sessile Oak (aka Irish or Cornish Oak) dominates but timber wise hard to distinguish its qualities from English Oak. Any oak coming from Europe is more likely to be Sessile Oak but there are still some other European Oaks some of which are not great for firewood.

If your Oak is much lighter in weight than previous Oak and looks someone porous (tiny vascular holes) when you look at the end grain then it might be Spanish Oak.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A sawmill , tree surgeon, or fire wood supplier who processes their own timber

This is going back a bit

Where would one get a chopping block for splitting logs?

If you are splitting one log you use another log.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Fishdoodle

😂This is the funniest post I've read in a long time! You've an encyclopedic knowledge of all things burnable. -Will stay clear of the chipboard. Never knew about the smell issue with elder -interesting! I got a reciprocating saw in Lidl to cut a large pyracantha root - it did the job. Tried it to cut up some wooden planks - not the sturdiest of tools!

Post edited by Fishdoodle on

Some further better value suppliers I found

burnwise.ie (Louth Based) have 1m3 crates of Oak for €325 including nationwide delivery.

premiumwoodheat.ie (kildare Based) 1.27 m3 Oak €299 - bigger crates also seem good value (free delivery nationwide)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Pistachio

Hi all, I ordered Olive firewood from Ecologs.ie, I know you don't necessarily get what is in the photo but this is what was delivered. looks like roots from an excavation or site clearance. i can't tell what type of wood it is either. I'm going to try some in the stove tonight but will be getting on to the supplier also.

https://www.ecologs.ie/shop/firewood/olive-firewood

My money would be that burning really well ;-) Unless when you pick those "logs" up they are really light. Save some for an open fire or putting in with a BBQ as its supposed to smell great.

If you can leave the stove open for a while and see what the smell is like?

Edit> Only thing that would concern me is the weight if you got 400Kg or not. The wood would need to be quite dense and heavy in that size of crate.

Hmm ...I've never burned olive. I hope these 'logs' burn well though! The picture in their site shows some nicely cut logs ... You'd think if they were throwing roots into the crate, they'd mix in plenty of logs.

• Advertisement

Have you bought from http://premiumwoodheat.ie/?

Lot of it out of stock, no cert on their website when I tested a purchase I got an error from their payment provider.

Haven't looked at burnwise yet.

No, just saw the website. - Burnwise seem to have a better set-up website. I rang them last week -they seem sound out but haven't placed an order with them yet

Cheers. Yeah they look the better of the two on first glance. Not that there might be anything wrong with the other lads, could be just setting up their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Burnwise are a good crowd. I have used them a couple of times. They’d be local enough to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Pistachio

Hi @Fishdoodle, unfortunately the 'logs' didn't burn well, just kind of smoldered, not a lot of heat from them, the smaller ones will be ok but the rest are basically just waste. I contacted the supplier and was told he doesn't see the orders so he's more of an agent I suppose, I will say he called me twice to see if I was satisfied. When I said no he offered me €50 refund! I declined this generous offer so he said if I reload the 'logs' he'd have the courier collect it, I also declined this even more generous offer so he is refunding me half the cost of the delivery. I'm not sure if I'll even be able to use half of it. Lesson learned......

That’s poor - if it’s ordered from ecologs.ie you’d expect they know what’s going into the crates! I presume you meant you were offered 50% of the order cost (I imagine delivery wasn’t much). Why not have the courier collect it - get a full refund- the wood isn’t as you expected and they’re certainly not logs! I’d be looking for my money back.

Hope you get the best resolution after this poor experience. - you could post a review on Google with the pics!

Tried to order from burnwise. Looks like nothing is happening behind the scenes.

Order page checks out ok.

Payment is cash or card on delivery. Maybe something is happening but no sign of contact from them about delivery.

TJ O'Mahony have limited numbers of kiln dried 450kg beech in stock. €339.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Is that a decent price and are they considered one of the more reliable suppliers in terms of quality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

they seem to have sent you a box of junk, would you not push for a full refund ?

The internet isn’t for everyone

Advertisement