Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Try Dineen Refractories, they make fire brick and vermucelite panels which can be cut to size with a hand saw

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Re: Premium Pellets - delivery

Well, I gave them a ring today to ask whether a delivery of a crate can be wheeled into a garage from the footpath. It's a concrete drive and slight incline but a big truck wouldn't get in the gate.

The lady I spoke to said the crate is delivered by 3rd party courier. And basically it's up to the courier and the mood they're in as they may just drop it to the gate, depending on their mood. Apparently the couriers in the Dublin area can be moodier 😅 If they're in a rush they may well be in bad form and only drop the crate to the gate.

Anyway she recommended having a plan B.

Any ideas on deliveries to Dublin? Has a hand-truck been used to deliver into property or left to yourself to sort out? Any ideas much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

RE: Pellet delivery

Can you rebag them on the road? 25kg coal sacks https://www.amazon.co.uk/JMS-Bridge-Polypropylene-Rubble-Builder/dp/B07JNNVWQT/ or 120l bags which just might balance on a wheelbarrow https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Waste-Bags-120-Litre/dp/B08LMZLZS5/ . If you are bagging up pellets then you just need a bag size that is convenient for you.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I carried my logs by hand from the front of the drive around to the log store at the back, only took a couple of hours to move the large crate, the logs are light and you can stack a few at a time. Bagging them and stacking them to me seems like double handling.

could be all the same I guess

The internet isn’t for everyone

Thanks for the links - just seems like hassle I'd rather avoid. And rather not be spending hours moving crates and hardwood logs 🙂 I could hire a hand-truck for €20 to move a crate of logs (though from what i've read the truck can just show up out of the blue any given day. I could also hire a Mariachi band to lighten the lorry driver's mood as per the plan B suggestion. (I find it hilarious that the mood of a courier is a factor in delivering a crate indoors -ideally they'd have the equipment to wheel something in ...and off they go).

Premium Pellets suggested buying bags if I wanted to make it extra easy to bring stuff in (in the event of a kerbside delivery).

...but if lugging in logs is the only way to go, so be it ...though that's a last resort :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

There's a great machine going now called a wheelbarrow... Google it...

So I’m going to go an buy a wheelbarrow just to move some timber around the back of my house after spending over €600 on the wood and not use it again for two years

give your head a shake, this is bargain alerts ffs

I got a call the day before and a text when the driver was on the way giving me 20 minutes notice, I’m sure they will swing it around the back for you, you can always give him a tip and tell them your back is in bits🤷‍♂️

What I find is that I can carry more logs in a wheel barrow if I bag them (we have hundreds of old coal bags). Then there's the convenience that we use about a bag full of logs a day so if necessary I can just bring a bag full in.

In my experience the drivers are always very good BUT it depends on your drive. If you have a level tarmac or other really good flat surface a pallet truck will run on then the drivers will normally move the pallet as near to where you want as they can. If you have a gravel drive like mine everything gets dropped at the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Got a wheelbarrow for free from the local fb marketplace to transport the pallets of wood pellets that the courier drops of on my drive. I loan it to neighbours at the same time, as we all order in bulk and split the delivery costs for logs as well. Dozens of other uses around the house and garden all throughout the year. Some people just make up excuses and make life difficult for themselves

What’s difficult about walking some logs around the house and getting some exercise at the same time lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

@Fishdoodle my delivery from Premium Pellets was done by a courier company called M50 Transport in the Wicklow area, they are based in Naas and might also cover Dublin though Im not sure on that. He had a hand truck that had an electric motor on it and so long as your driveway is level and not on any big slope that would topple the crate they should bring it up it. The hand trucks cannot go over gravel as the metal wheels will get stuck with the sheer weight of the firewood.

If you have to move it by bag the large blue Ikea bags you get for 50 cents are good for the job, they fit around 15 logs so it was quicker than carrying them in my hands where you might hold 9 or 10. Took me about 1.5 hours to move everything in a 2m3 crate. It looks like a big job at the beginning but when you get into a rhythm its grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I too have loads of old CW ovoid coal bags if they are of interest to anyone send me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭herrdood

I'm finding the TJ O Mahony beech a little difficult to get burning well. Starting to think it's a different colour to last year and actually oak.

Anybody seeing anything different with TJ Beech this year???

😅

show a picture of the wood and someone will tell you what type it is

last time i had trouble lighting wood was when it was sold as seasoned and not kiln dried

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I posted back in July wondering about the wood I got. I was satisfied that the general consensus was that it is oak.

But... these logs are burning much quicker than previous oak logs I got from different suppliers. Won't enjoy the heat now with the niggling feeling that something's not right!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭herrdood

Whoops. Check for any birds that might have expired in the Flue during the summer before blaming the wood.

Wood working fine this evening.......................

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ruttoprotratto

Hello all,

I Just moved into a house with a stove in co Leitrim, any suggestions on where to get cheap firewood?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

didnt get it last year but got a pallet of beech of TJ couple of months ago. No issues lighting, half a fire lighter and a few sticks of kindling and off it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 sheejo

I've been burning it for the last week or so and it burns very well and easy to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Best price I can see for Pini Kay briquettes is 730 (pallet of 96). Anyone buy or see cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I got a pallet from TJ last year and this and have not noticed any difference in lighting or burn rate

Have only lit one fire so far, its unreal how mild the weather has been for November. Might even get to December before lighting the next fire.

(Deleted)

scrap that, forecast is saying there is a cold snap on the way so definitely time for a roaring fire

Just started proper fires yesterday. Certainly spins the wood out longer for a cold winter followed by a cold spring.

I normally end the winter burning every odd bit of crap I can find. This year I'm starting on the pallets and anything else around (just cut up a decent surprisingly dry ash log that the river dumped in the garden). So hopefully I'll still have some decent timber to burn at the end of the season. I also notice a neighbor has a load of construction timber from building work thats been there since early summer so might pop by and see if that needs "moving" ;-)

Since you have loads of experience burning different types of wood :-) What wood would you avoid burning?

For ex: I found some old shelving- but it's chipboard inside / also wooden frames - (when I burned there a kind of layer would peel off and the glue beneath starts to bubble). Would the binder in these examples stick to the flue or does it just get burned off along with the vapours?

• Advertisement

I've burnt everything ;-) including a lot of chipboard. Wouldn't burn chipboard in a town but with nearest neighbor 250m away (down wind) I would if I had to. Currently there is no financial imperative or lack of better timber so not currently burning any. With any material like chipboard and plywood you are also burning the glue that holds them together, the result can produce dioxins which isn't good.

You'll never see the ones to avoid. Elder is a really bad wood to burn, firstly it doesn't burn and worse than that it smells of poo if you manage to get it going. In the country kids sent out to get dry tinder were always told not to get pick up any pooity sticks as Elder was know in some places (UK).

On the poor burning side horse chestnut is to be avoided unless its absolutely bone dry. Most freshly cut most timber will burn on a bonfire but horse chestnut won't on its own. Spanish chestnut is OK to burn but most people wouldn't know it from oak.

I'm about to burn an old upright piano. Will probably cost me in Sawzall blades more than the timber is worth but it was too heavy for me to get on a trailer to get to the tip and even then the council tip wouldn't take it, far too many hidden screws in it to take the chainsaw to it. Having a bit of a tidy up and just demolished an old caravan. All the metal and plastic went to the tip but the wooden frame (more than I expected) kept us very warm for about 5 days.

The easiest timber to come by is from old pallets. They take up a lot of room and are an effort to cut up but two or three would keep you very warm for a day. I normally cut them up with a sawzall (but a jigsaw is also useful). You will get some with chipboard spacer blocks but as you know I'd burn them as well. The nails can however be a pain getting stuck in the riddler of a lot of woodburning stoves.

Advertisement