Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

RasTa wrote: »

€225 per kilo? I’m not trying to buy cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

"€75 per 300g Steak"

tenor.gif?itemid=5118801

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You wouldn't mind but it looks like a block of fat. Yuck.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Sold out in 33mins....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Explain to me how I can buy a Wagyu burger in FXB for 4 quid but a steak of roughly the same size is €75 quid?

Assume theyre importing these from Japan? So we're being charged for transport costs?

Guy in Cork raises Wagyu cattle.

https://www.mtwomeybutchers.ie/product/wagyu-rib-eye-steaks-12oz-2/

The Nal wrote: »
    Explain to me how I can buy a Wagyu burger in FXB for 4 quid but a steak of roughly the same size is €75 quid?

Assume theyre importing these from Japan? So we're being charged for transport costs?

Guy in Cork raises Wagyu cattle.

https://www.mtwomeybutchers.ie/product/wagyu-rib-eye-steaks-12oz-2/

This is A5 wagyu. The best of the best. The price is probably the same in Japan but they pay £300 for a single strawberry over there.

Well you'll be able to trace it's grandparents and check the grade online. I regret not trying some when I was in Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Well you'll be able to trace it's grandparents and check the grade online. I regret not trying some when I was in Japan

I had A5 at a wedding in Shanghai. It was so
    Tender you could cut it with a fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sold out in 33mins....

Theres no recession in Sutton anyway!

75 would be around the market price for 300g of A5 wagyu, you could pay even more than that in other places and way more again in a restaurant.

I will try it someday but am sceptical that a 75 euro steak is going to be 5 times better than a 15 euro one. Its basically the very limited quantities of A5 wagyu that drive the price up so high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭amber2

• Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

On the more mundane steak front... Supervalu have:
    * Fillet steak 33% for this week (now €24 kg)
    * Cowboy steak 33% from 1st October to 7th October (so €11.70 kg)

It's on page 8-9 of their current special offers booklet:
    https://supervalu.ie/offers-leaflet/014/mobile/index.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

ah great, I might stock up on a few cowboys for the freezer, I dont think they sell them through winter so this might be the last chance to get them till next year

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Had an aul rib eye there from super value with a bottle of Rioja.
    Was well tasty. Sure I’ve had nicer steaks. Actually last week in dromoland I had possibly the nicest rib eye I’ve ever had. That was 30 bucks and was served up to me.

It sure I’d even contemplate paying that kind of money for a steak........ well unless I was filthy rich

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Muahahaha wrote: »
    ah great, I might stock up on a few cowboys for the freezer, I dont think they sell them through winter so this might be the last chance to get them till next year

Don't, whatever you do, order it for delivery. I ordered a "decent sized" cowboy two weeks ago and what I go was a boneless, green and sticky on one side, piece of meat that was more a trimming from the end of a joint instead of an actual steak. I'd never have accepted it in person,but it was wrapped in one of their 'bio' bags which are opaque with green writing so I didn't find out until the following evening. Their quality control for home delivery is very patchy (two lemons, one perfect, one shrivelled in the same order).

Lidl are beginning to bring their Christmas deluxe range back which means that both ostrich and venison steaks have returned to the fridges away from the main meat section. The venison seems pricey at 4.99 per 200g steak, I could have sworn it was 3.99 last year. Theres no sign of their wild boar steaks either yet anyway.

One thing Ive noticed about Lidl (and this is pot luck) but if you go in on a Monday there is a chance that they might have their Angus 28 day aged rib roast reduced in price. I got one yesterday that was reduced from 13.49 a kilo to 10.49 a kilo even though it is still in date until October 15th. I think they sometimes reduce after a weekend if not enough are sold and if they need to make shelf space or something. Anyway if you slice the rib roast down the middle you end up with two whopping big rib eye steaks each about two inches thick. Will be cooking some later, looking forward to it already.

Thats half the Lidl Angus rib roast with the bone removed. The joint was 1.2kg and the bone 300g so it yields two huge rib eyes both 2 inches thick and about 450g each. With the 25% discount it came to 12.60 or 6.30 each steak. Bit of a bargain for the size of it. You could really share one of these between two people as it would still be two 8oz steaks. I was just being a savage eating a 16oz steak.

rib-1.jpg

I salted it for about an hour before cooking then reverse seared it in the oven until it got to 62c internally, then rested for 10 minutes before flash frying it for 2 minutes each side. That got it to medium. I used maldron sea salt which gives steaks a nice even crust all around.

rib1.jpg

Will be trying to swing by Lidl on Mondays in the hope of seeing these discounted. Even at full price it would still be worth it, its a great cut of meat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats half the Lidl Angus rib roast with the bone removed. The joint was 1.2kg and the bone 300g so it yields two huge rib eyes both 2 inches thick and about 450g each. With the 25% discount it came to 12.60 or 6.30 each steak. Bit of a bargain for the size of it. You could really share one of these between two people as it would still be two 8oz steaks. I was just being a savage eating a 16oz steak.

rib-1.jpg

I salted it for about an hour before cooking then reverse seared it in the oven until it got to 62c internally, then rested for 10 minutes before flash frying it for 2 minutes each side. That got it to medium. I used maldron sea salt which gives steaks a nice even crust all around.

rib1.jpg

Will be trying to swing by Lidl on Mondays in the hope of seeing these discounted. Even at full price it would still be worth it, its a great cut of meat

That you have somehow acquired a large plate from a certain Cork hotel of which I have very fond memories bothers me not a jot. In fact I kind of admire that kind of stuff.

But Muahahaha, if they are what I suspect they are (as in the chips next to the glorious piece of prime meat), if they are indeed frozen chips Muahahaha, you have gone way down in my estimation.

Say it isn’t so.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

haha RG, acquired alright but not by me and not from a Cork hotel. Its from Ryans of Parkgate Street, D8, I used to rent an apartment in the area and the previous tenant worked there and left a few of them behind him when he moved out. Happy days for me, have had them 15 years now and theres not a scratch on them, they're a solid quality restaurant plate designed for use thousands of times. Wouldnt be able to say that about any other plates Ive ever owned, normally they look worn after just a few years use.

And yeah those are frozen chips but in my defense they are Aldis Skin on Fries which everyone on the Aldi thread in the food forum were raving on about. Easily the best frozen chip Ive ever had but in typical Aldi style they only went and discontinued them last week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Kerrigans are doing a 4 x 8oz Rib Eye steaks at the moment for €20 - not sure if I can post a link in here but you will see it on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

More lovely deals again at Kerrigans - €5 for 14oz steak and 40% off their Sirloin Roasts. Bit of bang for your buck there!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Supervalu T-Bone steak:
    * €16.74 per kg (WAS 24.99)
    * Oct 8th - Oct 14th
    * https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/meat-poultry-steaks-supervalu-beef-t-bone-steak-butchers-counter/p-1001655001

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

That you have somehow acquired a large plate from a certain Cork hotel of which I have very fond memories bothers me not a jot. In fact I kind of admire that kind of stuff.

But Muahahaha, if they are what I suspect they are (as in the chips next to the glorious piece of prime meat), if they are indeed frozen chips Muahahaha, you have gone way down in my estimation.

Say it isn’t so.

Looks serious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Shred

amber2 wrote: »

I keep missing the Higgins Waygu beef, has anyone tried this one?

In Lidl from Thursday

-Picanha steak 200g/3 euro
    -Angus rib roast on the bone- reduced from 14/kg to 12/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Hey guys,

There’s a good deal to be had on steak on the premium butcher website (link below)

https://thepremiumbutcher.ie/product/striploin-joint/

This is my second time ordering from them and the meat is excellent quality. They currently have a “Full Striploin of Beef 4-5kg” for €48. The last time I got this I cut it into 20 good sized steaks (about an inch thick) and froze them in batches of 2. Meat is of excellent quality and for less than €2.50 a steak you can’t go wrong.

If you sign up for the newsletter you get free delivery on orders over €50.

I’m in no way affiliated to them but I was told about this deal the last time by a friend of mine who has ordered from them several times.

Haven’t tried anything else from there but he has also bought the brisket and says it’s very good. Hopefully it’s of use to someone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,802 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

OmegaGene wrote: »

Didn’t realise this was here. Apologies for trying to help other members of the site make a saving and find a bargain. I won’t do it again

Advertisement