Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

RobitTV wrote: »
    Newstalk: Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary says he believes people from the Republic of Ireland will use Belfast 'as a means of escaping' this June

Michael O'Leary has said he expects countries across Europe to stop 'locking people down' from June.

"There's a 24-hour news cycle at the moment feeding all this hysteria - we're still only in the middle of March, and I think the situation will have changed markedly by the time we get to June/July/August".

On the new routes from Belfast, he said: "We think a lot of people from the Republic of Ireland are going to use these flights as a means of escaping to Portugal, Greece and Italy in the earlier part of the summer - even while Ireland's vaccine programme lags considerably behind the success of the UK programme".

Newstalk

O'Leary should probably listen to what the UK gov are currently saying about foreign travel this summer.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2021/03/23/brits-told-international-travel-unlikely-in-summer-2021-uk-stocks-tumble/?sh=169c5088363f

As things stand, people from Belfast are more likely to travel to Dublin. Though that could of course change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Why can’t u vote in the poll ? And results are hidden? Is it censorship cause it’s not the answer rte n government want to see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,581 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There are not symptomatic people, they are not close contacts. There will be a low positivity rate in those who present themselves for testing. A few thousand extra cases would require 100s of thousands of tests. Do you think that's likely?

What it will actually do is drive the positive rate down.

There was 100 tests carried out by midday across all 5 centers.

Glynn will have to get creative with the maths.

3000% positive rate and pretend no one notices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,906 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The way Leo is talking about Variant

I can't see NPHET been anyway kind in there recommendations for the relaxing of restrictions

Christmas ****ing us over again as the government are to scared to put it up to NPHET

Boggles wrote: »
    There was 100 tests carried out by midday across all 5 centers.

Glynn will have to get creative with the maths.

3000% positive rate and pretend no one notices?

It not pleasant getting a tiny bottle brush shoved up into you sinus cavity. Those who present themselves for this testing will by and large be those with genuine reasons - have a requirement to see a vulnerable person and what to be certain in advance, feel they were excluded form contact tracing incorrectly, have symptoms that dont qualify for a test but need to know for sure for work purposes and even some who are planning to break some restrictions, but in the most responsible way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Interesting results from the most recent Journal.ie poll

Should the 5km limit be eased next week?
    • Yes, scrap it altogether - 37.6%
    • Yes, change to county-wide or regional restrictions - 33.4%
    • Yes, increase it to 20km - 15.8%
    • No, wait until the situation has improved - 13.2%

Adding the top three categories together - 86.8% are in favour of relaxing the 5km restriction in some form, and 13.2% are against the idea.

71% in the top two categories are in favour of scrapping the limit altogether or changing it to county-wide or regional restrictions.

Journal.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Tork

fin12 wrote: »
    Why can’t u vote in the poll ? And results are hidden? Is it censorship cause it’s not the answer rte n government want to see?

Have you never seen a poll with the results hidden on boards before?

If you genuinely think that this is censorship, maybe it's time to take a step back from these threads for a while.

Interesting results from the most recent Journal.ie poll

Should the 5km limit be eased next week?
    • Yes, scrap it altogether - 37.6%
    • Yes, change to county-wide or regional restrictions - 33.4%
    • Yes, increase it to 20km - 15.8%
    • No, wait until the situation has improved - 13.2%

Adding the top three categories together - 86.8% are in favour of relaxing the 5km restriction in some form, and 13.2% are against the idea.

71% in the top two categories are in favour of scrapping the limit altogether or changing it to county-wide or regional restrictions.

Journal.ie

62% are in favour on maintaining some limits.

It all depends what way you look at it.

Me, I would actually be in favour of no distance limits. The 5km is for exercise only anyway, and if you go 5 or 50km makes no real difference. You can go as far as you need for essential purposes as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 22 badger54

It not pleasant getting a tiny bottle brush shoved up into you sinus cavity. Those who present themselves for this testing will by and large be those with genuine reasons - have a requirement to see a vulnerable person and what to be certain in advance, feel they were excluded form contact tracing incorrectly, have symptoms that dont qualify for a test but need to know for sure for work purposes and even some who are planning to break some restrictions, but in the most responsible way.

Got tested at one of the centres today. No symptoms, no close contacts but I'd like to know and I believe that the more testing, the more data the better.

Centre was well organised. The nasal swab itself wasn't even mildly uncomfortable. I literally felt nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

Newstalk: Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary says he believes people from the Republic of Ireland will use Belfast 'as a means of escaping' this June

Michael O'Leary has said he expects countries across Europe to stop 'locking people down' from June.

"There's a 24-hour news cycle at the moment feeding all this hysteria - we're still only in the middle of March, and I think the situation will have changed markedly by the time we get to June/July/August".

On the new routes from Belfast, he said: "We think a lot of people from the Republic of Ireland are going to use these flights as a means of escaping to Portugal, Greece and Italy in the earlier part of the summer - even while Ireland's vaccine programme lags considerably behind the success of the UK programme".

Newstalk
    alot of people give out about micheal o leary but i like the way he cuts through the mustard and says what alot of people are thinking...hopefully his predictions prove right...i dont doubt that what he says about europe not locking people down after june being absolutley possible but my fear is that governments and especially our own shower of plebs will decide that travel is best left till the end of the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,581 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Me, I would actually be in favour of no distance limits.

I think everyone would be TBF.

20 KM is the figure most touted in the kite flying and soundbytes, which of course could be complete BS.

Stay at home order with a 5KM limit for exercise makes sense, stay at home order with non essential 20 KM travel limit is arbitrary unenforceable nonsense.

County with strict patrolling on borders with high infection rates would be the prudent measure at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

How often can you get tested at the walk in centres or is it just a once off?

badger54 wrote: »
    Got tested at one of the centres today. No symptoms, no close contacts but I'd like to know and I believe that the more testing, the more data the better.

Centre was well organised. The nasal swab itself wasn't even mildly uncomfortable. I literally felt nothing.

TeEk6INAWOom.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Newstalk

Varadkar saying today “ a lot more countries are going to be added to the quarantine list”

Furthermore he’s saying he doesn’t think cases will drop below 500 a day. Is this a hint to us level 5 is here until autumn/winter until we’re all vaccinated i wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Grand numbers today great positivity rate.

Think we seriously need to consider opening up some parts of society, we won't be getting it down much more than this, so let's get on with our lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Do you normally get yourself tested for viruses that you've no symtoms for or reason to think you have? The flu? Hepatitis? Rabies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Hooked

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Do you normally get yourself tested for viruses that you've no symtoms for or reason to think you have? The flu? Hepatitis? Rabies?

But shur, isn't that their agenda...

They've run out of other ways to keep the case NUMBERS up...
    so that they can keep US down...

TeEk6INAWOom.gif

:):):)

Not the case. The swab is about a third the width of the normal cotton swab.

He did a quick swab of my inner cheek, then turned swab around and used the other end in my nostril, he pushed it a bit back but genuinely didn't feel uncomfortable at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Penfailed

fin12 wrote: »

It's from a merged thread. No censorship, no conspiracy.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭kippy

To be frank about it, I think it is import to try capture numbers of those that are infected but would not have sought out testing if only to try build a model of how many cases there might have been in the past year that never made the numbers.
    Based on my own experience, I'd suggest there are close to a million people in this country who have been infected in the past year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Sure it's a day out isn't it.

No I don't. I have never lived through a global pandemic before.

The point of these walk in test centres is for people who do not have any symptoms or close contacts (who have tested positive) to get tested so that the results can be used to assess asymptomatic cases in the community. That's the sole reason for these walk in test centres. I am precisely the type of person that should use the walk in centre. So, I'm not sure that I understand your point frankly.

That data could be used to make informed decisions on public health issues now and in the future. Who knows, could have a positive impact on lockdown.

kippy wrote: »
    To be frank about it, I think it is import to try capture numbers of those that are infected but would not have sought out testing if only to try build a model of how many cases there might have been in the past year that never made the numbers.
    Based on my own experience, I'd suggest there are close to a million people in this country who have been infected in the past year.

Maybe there is one element that would give a false picture however. Ignoring all the other reasons people may go for a test without symptoms, those purely going just because they want to know would not be representative of the average person therefore not representative of the wider population, so using the data to dry inferences could be problematic.

This was the problem with the abysmal serology study conducted here last summer.

To truly get what you were after you would need a representative sample selected including compelling those who may otherwise refuse to get tested, which some may find problematic.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Sure it's a day out isn't it.

The whole process took 15 - 20 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0325/1206064-covid-vaccines/

So Leo is saying it's hard to see numbers going below 500 per day due to the B117 variant and despite lockdown efforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0325/1206064-covid-vaccines/

So Leo is saying it's hard to see numbers going below 500 per day due to the B117 variant and despite lockdown efforts.

And Ronan Glynn says they have to go below 200. Do we have an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭facehugger99

OwenM wrote: »
    And Ronan Glynn says they have to go below 200. Do we have an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object?

Varadkar is about as immovable as a wet tissue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

So we're finally getting 7-day retrospective contact tracing, only 8 months after de Gascun told us we already had everything in place to fully trace any clusters.
    Nolan must be pretty miffed we're wasting this effort on an academic exercise.

Absolute disgrace it's taken this long to implement this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

MOH wrote: »
    So we're finally getting 7-day retrospective contact tracing, only 8 months after de Gascun told us we already had everything in place to fully trace any clusters.
    Nolan must be pretty miffed we're wasting this effort on an academic exercise.

Absolute disgrace it's taken this long to implement this.

Hopefully we can finally access the carnage that would ensue if we reopened construction or allowed people past 5km of their houses.

I imagine it would be death on a scale not seen since the beach landings in Normandy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

No I don't. I have never lived through a global pandemic before.

The point of these walk in test centres is for people who do not have any symptoms or close contacts (who have tested positive) to get tested so that the results can be used to assess asymptomatic cases in the community. That's the sole reason for these walk in test centres. I am precisely the type of person that should use the walk in centre. So, I'm not sure that I understand your point frankly.

That data could be used to make informed decisions on public health issues now and in the future. Who knows, could have a positive impact on lockdown.

Don't be talking sense !!

Much more dramatic to say NPHET want numbers to go rise so they can keep level 5 and Tony can keep pubs closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,362 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well living with Covid is going well.

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Don't be talking sense !!

Much more dramatic to say NPHET want numbers to go rise so they can keep level 5 and Tony can keep pubs closed

Those testing centres were useful in March 2020 when we had no option of a vaccine

The only purpose those testing centres will serve is to bring further suppression measures and misery on people. Not less

Eh, yes.

HIV. Without asymptomatic testing for HIV the scale of the global AIDS crisis would have been much, much larger.

Did you have a problem with asymptomatic testing for HIV, or is it just this particular global epidemic where you'd like us to ignore the infected?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Eh, yes.

HIV. Without asymptomatic testing for HIV the scale of the global AIDS crisis would have been much, much larger.

Did you have a problem with asymptomatic testing for HIV, or is it just this particular global epidemic where you'd like us to ignore the infected?

People got tested for HIV becasue they had reason to believe they may have it.

i.e. may have slept with someone who got it, came in contact with a needle etc etc

Asymptomatic testing for covid like this is a waste of resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Those testing centres were useful in March 2020 when we had no option of a vaccine

The only purpose those testing centres will serve is to bring further suppression measures and misery on people. Not less

Or maybe look on the positive side for once Fintan

It might also alert people who can spread the virus without knowing it,

It will help people who need a test if the want to visit someone with an underlying condition

It will help stall the spread in large areas by people who don't know they have it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Varadkar is quoted in the news today as saying that the virus has mutated and is ‘more deadly’.
    I have never seen any evidence of any of the variants being more deadly, how does no-one challenge him on the scaremongering. They’re scraping the bottom now trying to dig up ways to control the population with fear. They should know that it undermines anything else they say, I don’t believe a word that comes out of any of their mouths at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

It’s gotten to the stage where I despise the Government.

In my 40 years I never thought I would feel this way about the people in charge of looking after the country.

2008 didn’t even match up to the feelings I have towards them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

[QUOTE=badger54;116690299]No I don't. I have never lived through a global pandemic before.

That data could be used to make informed decisions on public health issues now and in the future. Who knows, could have a positive impact on lockdown.[/QUOTE]

So you are under 12 years of age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Varadkar is about as immovable as a wet tissue.

I have this feeling - pure conjuncture on my part - the current situation pleases Leo. He becomes Taoiseach soon enough and opens up everything.

Then while basking in our adulation - as this centuries Michael Collins - he tells us it was all Mehole and he saved us from ruin.

Anybody who thinks that sounds far fetched? You havent paid attention cos that's Varadkar to T.

• Advertisement

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Or maybe look on the positive side for once Fintan

It might also alert people who can spread the virus without knowing it,

It will help people who need a test if the want to visit someone with an underlying condition

It will help stall the spread in large areas by people who don't know they have it

It’s essentially looking for the virus behind the couch and under the bed with a flashlight.

NPHET follow belief not science and this will be no different

If case numbers rise, the siren will sound, the schools will close and will remain closed for months.

We need to focus on the vaccine, or the cure

Focusing on the cause has been a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If they are testing huge numbers of random asymptomatic people, then case numbers are no longer a useful measurement to gauge our progress.

This is very important because they WILL use these increased numbers to justify continued restrictions.

The only stats that matter are how many have been vaccinated and how many in hospital and ICU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

paw patrol wrote: »
    I have this feeling - pure conjuncture on my part - the current situation pleases Leo. He becomes Taoiseach soon enough and opens up everything.

Then while basking in our adulation - as this centuries Michael Collins - he tells us it was all Mehole and he saved us from ruin.

Anybody who thinks that sounds far fetched? You havent paid attention cos that's Varadkar to T.

He's not due to be Taoiseach till the end of 2022....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

the kelt wrote: »
    Yes thats true.

WHich is why mass testing of everyone would be a good idea, but apparently with these centres no u16's are to be tested even if their parents give their permission.

Seeing as the government and NPHET have as one of their main remits being keeping the schools open it would make sense to allow u16's to be tested.

Schools are one of the few places now where people are gathering indoors etc etc so identifying cases in that age group early would surely make sense.

And that's quite telling. I'd been wondering how this was going to affect the narrative of schools being safe if people were able to get their kids tested. Obviously they're not taking any chances with that.

big syke wrote: »
    People got tested for HIV becasue they had reason to believe they may have it.

i.e. may have slept with someone who got it, came in contact with a needle etc etc

Asymptomatic testing for covid like this is a waste of resources.

No, many people get tested for HIV because they've simply been sexually active for a period. I've done so. Negative, thanks for asking.

And in the case of the new walk in covid tests, people who feel they were literally a close contact of a case but didn't meet the HSE criteria can go for a test.

So you're wrong on both counts.

I'd like to see them expand it for people with minor symptoms. Like people who have a bit of a sore throat but **** all else. I think they're the riskier cohort than the asymptomatic/presymptomatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

Multipass wrote: »
    Varadkar is quoted in the news today as saying that the virus has mutated and is ‘more deadly’.
    I have never seen any evidence of any of the variants being more deadly, how does no-one challenge him on the scaremongering. They’re scraping the bottom now trying to dig up ways to control the population with fear. They should know that it undermines anything else they say, I don’t believe a word that comes out of any of their mouths at this stage.
    didnt micheal martin say that it was a "new" virus we were dealing with as well...nearly spat my tea out when i heard that one...they should really let WHO and the rest of the world know about their amazing discoveries but i suppose its out there on the internet if any of them were so inclined as to follow the gospel according to micheal martin and chums

• Advertisement

Multipass wrote: »

Just because you've yet to see evidence of something, it doesn't mean that the evidence doesn't exist.

And in this particular case, there is mounting evidence from numerous studies in numerous countries that suggests that B117 is indeed more deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,362 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Renault 5 wrote: »
    It’s gotten to the stage where I despise the Government.

In my 40 years I never thought I would feel this way about the people in charge of looking after the country.

2008 didn’t even match up to the feelings I have towards them.

I don’t despise them but I’m getting increasingly indifferent to them(and the whole oireachtas actually) and NPHET who I’m sure have the best of intentions, they aren’t very good at communicating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

didnt micheal martin say that it was a "new" virus we were dealing with as well...nearly spat my tea out when i heard that one...they should really let WHO and the rest of the world know about their amazing discoveries but i suppose its out there on the internet if any of them were so inclined as to follow the gospel according to micheal martin and chums

‘It is equivalent to a new virus, almost’
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

hynesie08 wrote: »
    He's not due to be Taoiseach till the end of 2022....

only 2 weeks of flattening the curve to go so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

The walk in centres only work for the overall good of society if case numbers are no longer the only metric used by Gov/NEPHT to decide on lockdowns. There are too many grey areas in what constitutes a case when past infection (therefore no longer infectious) can show up as a current positive case.

it would be a good tool as we open up and people can use it to ensure they are clear before visiting others who are vulnerable etc.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement