Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ ONE, 2, Junior, and Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Delta2113

The GAA games with Irish commentary should be shown on TG4 and not RTE News channel. I have checked TG4 recently when RTE News had a game and found on one day an Italian film and another day a U.S. show. Only in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

TG4 aren't rights holders so how would that work and you are proposing the same game to go out on two of the main channels simultaneously.

If anyone wants Irish commentary with HD then select the Irish audio stream on RTÉ 2 (on saorview at least). I don't understand why RTÉ never mention this as the SD picture on the news channel is poor enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think the game is also on RnaG, along with Irish TV commentary, you'd think that they would just put RnaG's audio on to RTÉ2. No reason for it to also be on the News Channel.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

RTE News Channel showed the debate yesterday but when the vote came along they had to show the Shamrock Rovers game because football was on RTE2.

RTE are buying content but then struggling to show it all. Virgin have loads off channels but struggle with good content.

Was Oireachtas TV showing the debate?

• Advertisement

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Yea it was. There’s also plenty of times when RTÉ One and RTÉ News are showing Dáil debates at the same time as Oireachtas Channel. Such a waste of time.

Its a pity RTÉ Three never happened. Some good American series that are shown late nights on One or 2 could have been shown on it. The extra sports and some of their great archive material. Surely it would have covered it’s costs from potential advertising.

Also off topic but it’s a pity TG4 don’t put some of their extra sports on a red button. I watched some good GAA games on YouTube during the year.

I don't think it is the same as sport. Ideally RTÉ News would also carry analysis of the confidence debate and RTÉ News would also have their own news programmes to avoid clashes with RTÉ ONE and Oireachtas e.g. Leaders Debate on RTÉ ONE while RTÉ News carries something else with a repeat of Leaders Debate after the lunchtime news.

I think when you have the use of changing the audio on all RTÉ channels then the option should be added to Irish Commentary but I also think that if RnaG is covering the game its audio should be used rather then a different set of commentators.

______

Yesterday

TG4 actually did have a red button on Saorview for a rugby match (I think) years ago. I can only remember it happening once.

Oireachtas TV has Irish sign language and RTE News carry scrolling text and wrap around graphics so neither channel is ideal for watching debates.

• Advertisement

RTÉ NEWS needs to drop all the side scrolling text at this point in its life, if it can do it for Sports and Live Press Conferences it can do it for all other types of programming.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I see the news channel is still in 704x576 on Saorview. They've done this in the past when showing sport but have they shown anything recently?

GAA and women's Euros have been on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Shortland Street moving into the Neighbours slots next week it seems.

Noticed that RTE2 having these nature/factual shows in at 14:50-16:00 daily. Ones like A Perfect Planet and Mountains - Life Above the Clouds. So they go from childrens shows like Deadly 60 and Sarah Jane Adventures, and then an hour block of factual/nature, and then back into The Simpsons after that. Very odd.

RTÉ slowly ditching their core "KIDS" hours on RTÉ2, though I was sure such changes would require ministerial approval.

The move of shortland street won't do much for that time slot, I'd love to know what its audience is like at 5:30.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Looks like they're just moving it, there's no name for it anymore & EPG is listing 'now on saorview 17'

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Longwayjump1991

They are possibly putting a different channel on number 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭iseegirls

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Longwayjump1991

@iseegirls I think it seems likely, there is no other reason why they would just randomly move channels around.

My money is on Cúla4.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't make sense to move RTE Junior away from other entertainment channels just to make room for another children focused channel beside the entertainment channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭political analyst

It's not that simple. From memory, I think the Analogue TV switch-off way back in 2012 put TV coverage of matches out-of-sync with the radio coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Picture on the news channel is so bad even if I spoke Irish I would watch in in on RTE2 in English. To use the radio for commentary you would have to delay the radio audio to get it to match the picture as the saorview is behind. This is the same with satellite.

That's alright because RTÉ2 also carries they Irish language commentary.

@political analyst do you think that RTÉ could sync the coverage on RTÉ RnaG with the pictures on RTÉ2, I mean they are a multimillion euro company, I am sure that would be cheaper than spending money on different commentators.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭political analyst

• Registered Users Posts: 10,352 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Of course they can. They broadcast the likes of morning Ireland on rte news now, so they can sync it. It's just a pain in the hole to do yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Master Anorak

Does RTE 2 still use the "TRTE" brand during the tween hours of around Noon till 4:30pm ?

Yes and no, basically its been sideline. Between programmes for 6 to 12 year old they still use TRTÉ idents, during programmes they still have the dog and they have short films with the brand between programmes, but all programme promotions are RTÉ2.

RTÉ have introduced RTÉ KIDS logo and you can see it on RTÉjr's twitter account and RTÉ KIDS You Tube account.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Master Anorak

I remember it was said at analogue switch off 10 years ago that RTE junior was relayed on RTE 2 from 7am to 2pm because RTE couldn't get the minister to allow them change schedule due to lobbying from TV3 but nowadays RTE junior on RTE 2 has been reduced to 9 till midday with Euronews filling breakfast time and TRTE from noon. Originally in 2012, RTE wanted to fill the RTE 2 daytime schedule with Friends, trinny and Susanna, Gokwan, grounded for life

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind a repeat of Grounded for Life :)

So initially they never asked, I don't think it was part of the initial proposal, which I think had

RTÉ 1+1 part time for 4 years and then becoming RTÉ Plus in 4 years time share with RTÉjr

RTÉ News Now with a look towards ads in 4 year

RTÉJR with no ads or movement

RTÉ1+1 given the go ahead but no phase 2

RTÉ NEWS NOW but no ads

Pat Rabbitte was then give proposal to move children's programming off RTÉ2, but it didn't make it past his desk and then by the time Alex White got the Dept RTÉ for some reason decided to withdraw the proposal.

Last proposal was for RTÉ2+1 and the extension of hours for RTÉ1+1, I don't remember seeing the decision on those additions. Last public decision was on OTV on Saorview which RTÉ pay for.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement