Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    From what I've read over the last few days:

Germany are having a big fresh spike

Portugal's numbers are rising in Lisbon

And Sweden?

Seriously?

Germany are operating a very efficient track, trace, test system, those spikes are in reference to clusters appearing in meat processing plants and the cramped accommodation the migrant workers live in.

Portugal have done much better with early action than their close neighbour Spain. Yet no mention of it being "high risk?"

Sweden went another way, and there's a whole thread on it so debate it there.

There's no vaccine and Covid is still causing infections everywhere.. But to say that Germany is a "high risk" country is just pure rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Why Germany, they have had much less deaths than Ireland.
    Sweden's figures are similar to Ireland.
    And I believe Portugal's figures are lower than Ireland.

Ireland has the highest amount of health care workers becoming infected than any other country on the planet.

Per capita of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

to say that Germany is a "high risk" country is just pure rubbish.

That wasn't said

I said they should be a on a Maybe list. As in a "keep an eye on them" list

Sure all of this back and forth is for nothing anyway. Boards posts won't make an iota of difference to whether it's open season at our airports

If you feel strongly about how ridiculously lax our airports are:
    • Email/write to your local TD
    • If you're a regular on Twitter, try tagging respectable journalists
    Both have a chance of better results than debating with strangers on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Don't be that person who says "link?" and "source?" in their Internet replies

I'm a Dubliner and I'm using my eyes, ears and common sense. Brazilians come to the capital in their droves every year. Heck, as a male all you need to do is spend 5 mins on Tinder to see this

If they were planning to come to Dublin this Summer you'd best believe the majority still will. If for nothing else than to escape their genuinely insane leader

Brazil is absolutely riddled with Covid and is one of a few countries that shouldn't be allowed in Ireland

Otherwise, what was the last 3 months for?

Almost all Brazilians come to Ireland on Study/Work visas and when the schools closed down they went to online classes.
    At the same time the immigration offices closed (and remain so) so Visas that were due to expire were renewed (until at least July 20th at present).

However as all schools are closed at present and as immigration offices are closed (and you have to present papers at immigration to show you are enrolled in a recognised course and have 80%+ attendance), no new students are coming into the country and haven't been since March.
    You can't get through the Airport immigration without showing that you are enrolled in a course or proof that you are coming purely for tourism.

The Brazilians that are here now are the same ones who were here before the pandemic kicked off here (and long before it kicked off in Brazil).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

That wasn't said
    I said they should be a on a Maybe list. As in a "keep an eye on them" list
    Sure all of this back and forth is for nothing anyway. Boards posts won't make an iota of difference to whether it's open season at our airports
    If you feel strongly about how ridiculously lax are airports are:
    • Email/write to your local TD
    • If you're a regular on Twitter, try tagging respectable journalists
    Both have a chance of better results than debating with strangers on the internet

When I see Germany on some sort of fantasy maybe maybe not list it makes me laugh, and Portugal as well who've done relatively well compared to Spain etc.

Go write to your own T.D, you started this thread FFS...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Go write to your own T.D, you started this thread FFS...:rolleyes:

I was suggesting it to others as a better option than online "debates"

I emailed my local TD days ago, thanks for asking though

Countries on the E.U. draft lists have been selected as safe based on a combination of epidemiological criteria. The benchmark is the E.U. average number of new infections — over the past 14 days — per 100,000 people, which is currently 16 for the bloc.

The comparable number for the United States is 107, while Brazil’s is 190 and Russia’s is 80, according to a Times database.

Once diplomats agree on a final list, it will be presented as a recommendation early next week before July 1. The E.U. can’t force members to adopt it, but European officials warn that failure of any of the 27 members to stick to it could lead to the reintroduction of borders within the bloc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/world/europe/coronavirus-EU-American-travel-ban.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

In fairness Americans have been banned from most EU countries for a number of weeks (other than EU residents and essential travel). It is reciprocal, as they banned EU arrivals (other than citizens and families of citizens). This is about continuing that stance as borders are relaxed. Ireland and the UK are quite unique I think in not having banned Americans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

In fairness Americans have been banned from most EU countries for a number of weeks (other than EU residents and essential travel). It is reciprocal, as they banned EU arrivals (other than citizens and families of citizens). This is about continuing that stance as borders are relaxed. Ireland and the UK are quite unique I think in not having banned Americans

Good news too if it’s the EU making that call, as Ireland, ever the sycophant, would hate to offend the US

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

So we won't close our border to Brazilians unless the EU tells us to.
    it's great being an independent nation, isn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

jay0109 wrote: »
    So we won't close our border to Brazilians unless the EU tells us to.
    it's great being an independent nation, isn't it!

I've already explained above how we have closed our border to Brazilians.

There's still 3 flights daily from US landing in Dublin?

Is the "EU blocking all USA flights" just early stage talks for now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I suspect those flights are minimal passengers and full cargo (medical equipment).

6 of the cases today are travel related

More stringent restrictions on the airports, you know like most other countries, might be a fúcking idea

"Shure it'll be grand"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Guarantee despite all the government's advice on not travelling, Ireland wont subscribe to the EU's plan to ban US travellers come July 1st. Yet will say the quarantine does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

6 of the cases today are travel related

Yes. I'm curious how or why there are Iraqis in the northwest?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0629/1150349-covid-ireland-latest/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes. I'm curious how or why there are Iraqis in the northwest?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0629/1150349-covid-ireland-latest/

They came through Belfast to work illegally in Turkish barber shops is what I heard in Sligo today. Make of that what you will

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have seen Turkish barber shops in Ireland, and wondered about them, as Turkey are not in the EU, and we aren't short of barbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,313 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There should be a list published weekly with travel bans for certain countries. It should be based on the level of C19 in those countries

Here’s a few off top of my head to kick it off

America
    Brazil
    Sweden
    Iran

And to be honest the UK should probably be on the list too

Still no sign of any travel bans???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Geuze wrote: »
    I have seen Turkish barber shops in Ireland, and wondered about them, as Turkey are not in the EU, and we aren't short of barbers.

When was the last time you heard of a business in this country being raided by Immigration officials? It pretty much doesn't happen. Similar widespread set up with nail bars, car washes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭gral6

Still no sign of any travel bans???

Thank god, NO !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The Turkish barber living in Sligo was meant to self isolate, went home to have dinner with his parents.

What is the point of the self isolation?

Pubs are open, let's go out for a few drinks with the mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

They came through Belfast to work illegally in Turkish barber shops is what I heard in Sligo today. Make of that what you will

They came through Dublin, are here living and working legally. The guy, his wife and child went home to visit family in Iraq in February and got stranded there when the lockdown came into effect. He was returning to his home here last week because his business was due to reopen on Monday.

Unfortunately other members of the Arabic community in Sligo have reported racist comments due to some people wrongly assuming that they are all the same, all live in the one dwelling, and are all there illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭gral6

The Turkish barber living in Sligo was meant to self isolate, went home to have dinner with his parents.

What is the point of the self isolation?

Pubs are open, let's go out for a few drinks with the mates.

Self isolation is not mandatory. What law the Turkish barber has broken?
    Tony Holohan is not wearing a mask but he says people should. Fuc... lying hypocrite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

gral6 wrote: »
    Tony Holohan is not wearing a mask but he says people should. Fuc... lying hypocrite

People should behave responsibly without trying to exploit loopholes in the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

surely they have documents visas that would have been checked or else we have decided to open borders
    lock down is irrelevant if this is happening should just open up and be damned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Thats the biggest lie ive seen yet.

A They came into Dublin
    B. They are legally here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

simply not true at all and this is how rumour spreads

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

gral6 wrote: »

What part of self isolation do people not understand? Meeting up with the parents for dinner is not self isolation.

Advertisement