Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WFH Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Patsy167 wrote: »
    How is everyone's WFH experience going?
    ?

For my lower body - I took the genesis of this article https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/no-weights-big-wheels
    Normally I like Paul Carter but I feel that after 300 (per leg) walking lunges any other work on quads etc...is just wasted volume

so I set it up like this - twice a week Tues/ Fri

mobility

calf raises - BW x 10 reps, then 2 sets to failure 5 sec hold at top and bottom.

seated leg curl - work up to 2 red bands (wrapped around table leg) then 3 sets to 15 - slow and squeeze each rep at top and 10 sec hold on rep 15. Mind muscle connection v important here or (imo) it's a wasted exercise.

walking Lunges - as per article. 325 per leg this week .

Glute bridges - 2 sets to fail with 5 sec hold at top for each rep.

This is going well and I plan to run with this and the progressions in the article for the 6 weeks of the lockdown or till gym reopen.
    I wasn't never into walking lunges much so this is the challenge and the progression I'm aiming for .

Also do upper body twice a week but this isn't going as well , getting the work done but last lockdown I used playground and park but weather been sh1t and it's dark now in morning.
    usually do a complete run of the upper body part with bands/push ups
    - selection of band 1 orange, 2 red , 1 green , 1 med ball and create something that way. finish with abs like hollow holds.

cos of weather I've been confined to the kitchen on upper body day which limits me a bit.

Also did some sea swimming and walking this week.
    I'll be working in the conditioning aspect from "never gymless" (ross training) from this week that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

I think it's important not to get disheartened if things aren't working and remember this is mostly new and awkward and will take time to feel about and get something that you are happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The knurling in the Ohio bar is nice. Barely ever need chalk with mixed grip. Hands get used to it after a few weeks.

My gym has an eliteFTS power bar. Now THAT has masochistic knurling. Hands even hurt after benching with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The guy behind the popular barbell linear progress program, Greyskull LP, has a free 60 page ebook with bodyweight home workout programming.

Skimmed it, it’s a solid option, and nicely varied.

Don’t be put off by his gangsta appearance, it’s smart programming.

https://quarantactics.gr8.com/

training outside is miserable these mornings.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

paw patrol wrote: »
    seated leg curl - work up to 2 red bands (wrapped around table leg) then 3 sets to 15

When I tried this, the band just slides up my leg at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

When I tried this, the band just slides up my leg at the top.

I’ve found you can stop that if you lower the height of the band and/or elevate whatever you’re sitting on using pillows or something.

Cill94 wrote: »
    I’ve found you can stop that if you lower the height of the band and/or elevate whatever you’re sitting on using pillows or something.

I just had it on my instep and had my toes pointed down. It didn't happen on every rep but a couple of times a set and just got annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

I just had it on my instep and had my toes pointed down. It didn't happen on every rep but a couple of times a set and just got annoying.

Personally find around the back of the heel easiest but I mostly just do glute ham raises instead now as I can’t be arsed with all the set-up of the band!

Personally find around the back of the heel easiest but I mostly just do glute ham raises instead now as I can’t be arsed with all the set-up of the band!

That's for hamstring curls, no?

I meant for leg extensions. I've targeted the quads other ways but just found it annoying with the bands.

That's for hamstring curls, no?

I meant for leg extensions. I've targeted the quads other ways but just found it annoying with the bands.

sorry I meant ham string curls seated.
    I lean my torso forward , grip seat of the chair with my hands too.

As Cill says - band close to ankle seems to work for me

• Advertisement

sorry I meant ham string curls seated.
    I lean my torso forward , grip seat of the chair with my hands too.

As Cill says - band close to ankle seems to work for me

Ah ok. Yeah, hamstring curls are less annoying alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If anyone is short of band exercise ideas, plenty here. Biggest problem I have is nothing very stable in the house to wrap bands around, doors and Piano are about the height of it. finding the park good combining sprints and using goal posts for rows and a few others.

One legged glute bridge is coming on, thats a keeper

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ah ok. Yeah, hamstring curls are less annoying alright.

yeah for sure, I can't get the leg ext to work in a similar fashion - like you it climbs up my leg.

so previously i did high rep squats and this time lunges.

yeah for sure, I can't get the leg ext to work in a similar fashion - like you it climbs up my leg.

so previously i did high rep squats and this time lunges.

Yeah same. It's just so much less hassle to do lunges, split squats etc.

Have a wedge as well for elevating the heels this time so I used it last night for split squats and tried it for Platz squats but need to do much higher reps when it's not single leg and that just aggravates my hip but elevating the heels definitely adds a little spice to the quad work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Can't tell if they're in that YouTube video above on band exercises, but for posterior chain options I would think banded pull throughs are probably one of the less fiddly options available.

You need a decent fixed point to attach the band to, of course, and probably ideally a band with a decent tension, which means quite a strong or heavy object like a sturdy fence railing or a post of some kind.

https://redefiningstrength.com/band-pull-thru/

https://drjohnrusin.com/pull-through/

Years ago I was at a seminar with Andy Bolton and he was trying to show seated banded leg curls and he couldn't get it properly set up himself, the band kept slipping off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I go cracked when there's no centre knurling on the bar for squats

bluewolf wrote: »

I go even more cracked when there is no centre knurling on the bar I don't have.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Out of curiosity, why?

I used a bar without centre knurling a while back and thought it would wreck my head, but I don't think it made much of a difference. That part doesn't really sit on my back.

Out of curiosity, why?

I used a bar without centre knurling a while back and thought it would wreck my head, but I don't think it made much of a difference. That part doesn't really sit on my back.

Plays on your mind more than anything else...until you get to a certain point where the risk of it moving a little on your back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Out of curiosity, why?

despite the bracing and it sitting on whatever those shoulder shelves are, it slides on my back
    i wear the slippy wicking fitness tops which doesnt help

• Advertisement

despite the bracing and it sitting on whatever those shoulder shelves are, it slides on my back
    i wear the slippy wicking fitness tops which doesnt help

If you're not wearing an A7 bar grip shirt, do you even lift?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I think a lot of the points raised in the below article were becoming very common in Irish commercial gyms.

The temporary closure of gyms may allow people to re-evaluate why they are using the gym.

"Body dysmorphia in some young, muscular men is causing them to see themselves as small, leading to depression and steroid abuse, an expert has said."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54733684

Patsy167 wrote: »
    I think a lot of the points raised in the below article were becoming very common in Irish commercial gyms.

The temporary closure of gyms may allow people to re-evaluate why they are using the gym.

"Body dysmorphia in some young, muscular men is causing them to see themselves as small, leading to depression and steroid abuse, an expert has said."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54733684

It's a good point and something that has been commented on about gyms closing. If your mental health is very dependent on the gym, then that's a problem.

Exercise and, by extension, access to a gym is obviously a positive thing.

However, the reasons people go can be positive and negative.

Many years ago now, I posted here about experience with an eating disorder and through the CBT process, there was an examination of the reasons behind going to the gym, ie was it merely painting over the cracks or was it a force for good. It transpired it was the latter but I can see how it could be a negative in some circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Out of curiosity, why?

Thinly veiled "traps of steel" post :P:P

I high bar squat and definitely find it feels a bit slippy with a dri-fit top or whatever - I hate it, but I have no traps. It was only after the first time it happened that I thought it felt odd, and hadn't even considered there might be a difference (a bar is a bar right?) so I definitely think for some people's set up it can feel less grippy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I low bar squat and although the knurling isnt exactly gripping the bar in place, I do find it helps mentally. I also find it very useful when centring myself on the bar.

I regret finding my ab wheel.

All kinds of DOMS

I regret finding my ab wheel.

All kinds of DOMS

I’ve been looking for mine recently. Think I’ll leave it lost

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’ve been looking for mine recently. Think I’ll leave it lost

10/10 recommend not looking for it