Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WFH Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I found last time that I faff about more than I should. I don't know why. That just made the training last longer than it should and the longer it went on, the harder I found it to be upstairs working all day and then go train in a spare room and be in all day.

So what I might do instead of doing a workout every 2/3 days, break them in 2 and so 30-40 mins 5/6 evenings. The shorter spells will make it easier to do/less easy to skip, mentally,

This is definitely working for me. It is early days and I can only assume that, down the line, training at home with minimal equipment will suck donkey balls.

But doing 30 mins a day just seems easier mentally. By the time, I get to do anything its 8.30 or thereabouts so starting into an hour just started to wear especially given that it usually meant I hadn't been outside all day.

This way I can do the 30 mins and go out for a walk after.

Can get some of it done during Teams meetings as well...

Also, using a band for weighted planks worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Can get some of it done during Teams meetings as well...

Wish I could do this - we have a video on policy for teams so not sure I'd get away with it! :P

Wish I could do this - we have a video on policy for teams so not sure I'd get away with it! :P

The director I work with never has his on so game on.

Just have to make sure to mute so no one hears any huffing and puffing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was using hand grip strengtheners during the first lockdown during video calls, but got out of the habit since , it might be possible to use bands and do some drag curls if you can avoid looking like you need to use the loo?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I had my wall ball in a park yesterday to the bemusement of a few kids, they came over and asked was it heavy, I said they probably couldnt lift it, one of them comes over about 5 years old, she goes into a perfect deep squat arms around it and lifts it. Would put a lot of adult lifters to shame in fairness :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I was just on to Strength Shop's head office in Scotland and they're saying the orders that were delayed are in transit now. They were blaming weather conditions and the courier companies moreso than anything else. It is what it is...

Any tracking?

They gave me a DPD number over a week ago which isn't recognised by DPD....

Would have cancelled long ago if the stuff I'd ordered was available anywhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

silverharp wrote: »
    I was using hand grip strengtheners during the first lockdown during video calls, but got out of the habit since , it might be possible to use bands and do some drag curls if you can avoid looking like you need to use the loo?

I reckon looking like you are on the loo is by no means the worst look you could have doing hand grip exercises on a zoom call!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Any tracking?

Would have cancelled long ago if the stuff I'd ordered was available anywhere else!

I don't have one... I'm not sure I've ever got a tracking number with a Strength Shop order.

I can see that a lot of UK based people are getting bars they ordered at the moment so hopefully we are just lagging. I'll give it another week.

As you say, if you cancel from them then there's not a lot of other stock out there at the moment (Especially for the price).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Any tracking?

I ordered from supplement needs in the UK in Dec and same thing happened with me . Took over 9 days for package to arrive,
    They say it's DPD but some of them get outsourced to others.
    didn't help that every time I rang DPD I got a different answer.

also didn't help that supplement needs response was - "we posted it and you have a link"

The latest update from Strength Shop to me about my order (delayed over two weeks now).

They are saying that it shipped via UPS and was returned undelivered because I did not have a mobile phone number on my order... A bit odd I can just about swallow it.

They are saying, for anyone interested, that they will include a letter with the shipment saying the order was placed prior to 1st December and that VAT was paid before that per the arrangements in place then. Not sure it will pan out but we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

A mini review of a set of adjustable dumbbells I got a couple of weeks ago.

In short, they're .....okay. I thought I'd like them more, tbh.

Positives - they save space compared to having a bunch of fixed weight dumbbells, and might work out cheaper depending on how many weights you use. That's about it.

Negatives - the plates are shaky when locked in, which I find quite off putting. You can feel the weight moving around a bit.

Also, the ends of them are tapered inward, so if you rest them standing up on your thighs before lying back for a bench press, they hurt like hell compared to a flat dumbbell. There's also always a nagging fear that the lock will slip and a plate will fall off mid-exercise. I'm sure they're safe, but I can't stop thinking about it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭obi604

A mini review of a set of adjustable dumbbells I got a couple of weeks ago.

In short, they're .....okay. I thought I'd like them more, tbh.

Positives - they save space compared to having a bunch of fixed weight dumbbells, and might work out cheaper depending on how many weights you use. That's about it.

Negatives - the plates are shaky when locked in, which I find quite off putting. You can feel the weight moving around a bit.

Also, the ends of them are tapered inward, so if you rest them standing up on your thighs before lying back for a bench press, they hurt like hell compared to a flat dumbbell. There's also always a nagging fear that the lock will slip and a plate will fall off mid-exercise. I'm sure they're safe, but I can't stop thinking about it happening.

nice one, never used these type dumbbells, but often wondered how stable they were

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

Had been thinking of going with these from MC sports, look similar anyway. But thinking I might hold off now and try get some Power blocks. They look to be the real deal - the Pro adjustable set goes up to 4okg or thereabouts. Expensive but think they're built to last and will be a good investment.
    Thanks for the review. Anybody any experience with PowerBlock Stage 2 Pro Expandable dumbbells?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

obi604 wrote: »
    nice one, never used these type dumbbells, but often wondered how stable they were

They’re fine. Cant say I’ve felt them shaky at all.

Current feelz:

bands.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭obi604

When I am in the normal gym routine, I follow a programme like 5x5 etc

But when at home, I find it hard to follow any programme and just kinda make it up as I go along - that’s if I can be bothered to even do it ;))

Are the rest of ye following a programme at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

But when at home, I find it hard to follow any programme and just kinda make it up as I go along - that’s if I can be bothered to even do it ;))

Trying to

Yeah. Have a decent balance of exercises and tweak some of them as needs be every couple of weeks. The tweaks just to freshen things up a touch

I'm resurrecting this thread as I think it's probably the best catch-all home training and equipment thread we have.

I ordered a deadlift bar from Strength Shop UK in late December, and after much Brexit-delayed shenanigans I ended up cancelling the order because it was way overdue and appeared to be bouncing around and getting no closer. That was about ten days to a fortnight ago. There was another boardsie with a similar experience.

Anyway, fast-forward to last Friday and I ordered an adjustable bench from Strength Shop UK more or less against my best instincts. I had been assured they had new courier arrangements in place. Shipping used to be free above 100 to Ireland, and although they still advertise that I had to pay a 20 euro courier fee which actually made me think maybe they did have a new set-up. I got a shipping notification and tracking details on Monday, and I received the bench today. I bought it ex VAT, and fully expected to be hit for VAT and duty by the courier. So far, nope... Maybe a letter with an invoice will arrive in the past for same (That used to happen, many moons ago).

Anyway, fast-forward to last Friday and I ordered an adjustable bench from Strength Shop UK more or less against my best instincts. I had been assured they had new courier arrangements in place. Shipping used to be free above 100 to Ireland, and although they still advertise that I had to pay a 20 euro courier fee which actually made me think maybe they did have a new set-up. I got a shipping notification and tracking details on Monday, and I received the bench today. I bought it ex VAT, and fully expected to be hit for VAT and duty by the courier. So far, nope... Maybe a letter with an invoice will arrive in the past for same (That used to happen, many moons ago).

I'd be surprised if any courier company wants to get bogged down collecting tiny amounts of vat after they delivered the goods.

• Advertisement

I'm finding it easier to get my workouts done this lockdown compared to last. Splitting them into 2 half session across 2 days - instead of 1 every second day -has ultimately meant I do more overall, haven't skipped any and I've got out for a walk every night.

silverharp wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if any courier company wants to get bogged down collecting tiny amounts of vat after they delivered the goods.

Yes, I would have expected either cash on delivery or a phone call in advance, which seems more common.

However, FedEx used to send out payment requests after delivery. I don't know if it's still done at all, but I got a few in the past when ordering stuff from the USA. Not big sums of money either, about the same as we're talking here.

I ignored them until someone told me that it could come back to haunt me in a credit check down the line...

I'm finding it easier to get my workouts done this lockdown compared to last. Splitting them into 2 half session across 2 days - instead of 1 every second day -has ultimately meant I do more overall, haven't skipped any and I've got out for a walk every night.

I have been doing 4 day programming for several years and ... Out of sheer boredom and lack of things to do I have now added in a fifth day where I train bits and pieces that just don't seem like they will mess up my main programming. Calves, some more back work, neck.

I have been doing 4 day programming for several years and ... Out of sheer boredom and lack of things to do I have now added in a fifth day where I train bits and pieces that just don't seem like they will mess up my main programming. Calves, some more back work, neck.

By the time, I get to train, it's gone 8.30 and during the second lockdown that meant when I did my workout, I wouldn't get any fresh air. Work was mental, which didn't help. No school now means I don't have the chance to get out at lunch so being able to do shorter workouts more often means I get out for a good walk every day and I end up doing more cos of I have spare time, I can tack on some extra volume. Or not.

It's really just that I feel fresher mentally for getting out more with the different structure to it.

my standard would have been to hit everything twice over 4 workouts ideally, but even at that arms tended be the one where it would end up only being 1. Switched this week to every other day total workout but drop the volume, keeping a day at the weekend free to get a longer cycle in and trying to get to the point where I cant feel that i had done a 4ish km jog the day before.

I thought I would be limited with the dumbbells I bought but realised I can use the barbell plates I got if I stick them in the middle of the dumbbell plates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

Quick question for anyone who may of experienced this but I fractured the radius bone in my wrist mid November. I was in a cast for 4 weeks and since then it has healed well in my opinion and I have near full range of motion and can do things such as pullups and work with dumbbells without any pain as such.

When I try to do pushups this is were I can feel it, two or three pushups and I have to stop. Is this pain likely to go away? any tips. Thanks

Quick question for anyone who may of experienced this but I fractured the radius bone in my wrist mid November. I was in a cast for 4 weeks and since then it has healed well in my opinion and I have near full range of motion and can do things such as pullups and work with dumbbells without any pain as such.

When I try to do pushups this is were I can feel it, two or three pushups and I have to stop. Is this pain likely to go away? any tips. Thanks

If it's just a case that its because of loading the wrist, then it's probably just a case of time

Maybe it's the fact that wrist is in extension that is causing it and in that case maybe push up handles might help keep the wrist more neutral

I've just placed orders for adjustable dumbbells and a gym mat.

What I now need is a fitness bench, hopefully costing less than €100.

Is that reasonable or will that only buy me something that will cause injury?!

• Advertisement

I've just placed orders for adjustable dumbbells and a gym mat.

What I now need is a fitness bench, hopefully costing less than €100.

Is that reasonable or will that only buy me something that will cause injury?!

If you can stretch your budget a little bit you have the following options:-

Strength Shop flat bench - 116 GBP (this is VAT free, you might have to pay on the way in but I ordered a bench from them lately and did not ever get asked for the VAT in the end..)
    https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/new-flat-bench-with-low-front-foot-75x75x3mm.html

Again Faster Team Flat Weight Bench - 133 euro (Including VAT, you might need to double check to make sure this isn't coming from the UK)
    https://againfaster.eu/en_gb/strength-equipment/strength-training/benches/again-faster-flat-bench.html

Blk Box Utility Flat Bench - 127 GBP / 145 euro (Including VAT but they're in NI so this is the real price)
    https://www.blkboxfitness.com/products/blk-box-utility-flat-bench

If you want to go cheaper you could wait for a restock of this from Decathalon...

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/ba-530-fold-down-weight-bench-en-s10799.html

If you want to go a bit unconventional I would also mention that you can use a dining bench as a bench if you are stuck. I used an IKEA bench for several months at one stage and although they are not as comfortable they are totally adequate. Remember that these are made to bear the weight of a number of adults, so you lying on them and benching with dumbbells is not a big deal.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/cat/benches-22660/

My final suggestions for anyone looking for a bench who can't find one...

- Remember you can always floor press. It's not quite the same but it's a valid horizontal pushing movement.
    - Floor flyes are also another legit chest movement that can work, and you can team them up with floor presses either as supersets or a way of pre-fatiguing (Door the floor flyes first before you do your work sets of floor presses)
    - Push-ups, of all kinds... Feet elevated... Close grip... Clapping... Tabata push-ups... There are a million ways of using push-ups.

Advertisement