Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Pretty torn myself on things at the moment. Haven't paid sub yet. Hard to know what to do with a club in a different county

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Lisheen only up the road from you Space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

If we don't get back until April and say we have decent playing months up to September, that's 6 months. For say an annual sub of 1200 for a 7 day member in the Dublin area (and that's the cheaper end), it's about 200 per month. For the weekend golfer, playing every weekend, comes to about 50 per round and that's not including weekends missed for holidays and other reasons. That's expensive golf and for many, it will not represent value for them.

As regards society golf, yes many clubs in the Dublin area are now no longer taking societies at weekends. Other clubs have raised their prices so that it becomes more attractive to travel outside of Dublin for better value. This makes society golf more expensive and less attractive and coupled with pubs being closed will reduce the size of and threaten the survival of some societies. Clubs which have decided that they don't need or can't accommodate societies risk losing this revenue stream when the current membership demand abates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Roger_007 wrote: »
    If we are closed until Paddy’s day clubs are going to struggle to get in annual subs. My own club’s renewal date is 1st Jan but most people don’t normally pay until late Jan or Feb. Last year most subs were paid before the lockdown. If there is any talk that clubs could be closed this year until well into the year it would be hard for some people to justify paying their subs at all.
    Apart from annual subs, clubs are suffering from loss of income from competition fees, green fees, societies etc. but still have all the usual outgoings.
    There could be tough times ahead on the financial front.

I think clubs will put out invoices for payment but may find them slow to come in. For me, golf is March to Sept anyway so I’m not missing out much

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Lisheen only up the road from you Space

Is it open for new membership Golfhead? Also they took on crazy numbers last year didnt they, how were timesheets holding up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Is it open for new membership Golfhead? Also they took on crazy numbers last year didnt they, how were timesheets holding up?

i know someone who went there and i think the consensus is that ultimately they won't be staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Will driving ranges be open before courses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

You will always get on timesheet even through waiting list, the problem before was that anyone booking in could book 3 other people in on the line thus closing it to everyone else. This practice has now been stopped and you can only book yourself and 1 other, obviously with no golf atm we can't see how well it's going to work but I think it will make a big difference.. Yes they took on a lot of new members during last lockdown and a lot were so called pay and play membership and thus clogged up timesheets. These type of memberships are now closed and they have been encouraged to go either 5 day or full as the price per round has been increased so the value is not there. Alan M of our postcode joined last year and having played with him a bit since he joined and we partnered in Barton Cup, he is very happy up there and was delighted as a newbie to have been picked on a few interclub teams

Before the last lockdown they had changed the rules to be you could cross the county border for your home club. If they keep that rule, will definitely stick to my own club

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭blue note

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    You will always get on timesheet even through waiting list, the problem before was that anyone booking in could book 3 other people in on the line thus closing it to everyone else. This practice has now been stopped and you can only book yourself and 1 other, obviously with no golf atm we can't see how well it's going to work but I think it will make a big difference.. Yes they took on a lot of new members during last lockdown and a lot were so called pay and play membership and thus clogged up timesheets. These type of memberships are now closed and they have been encouraged to go either 5 day or full as the price per round has been increased so the value is not there. Alan M of our postcode joined last year and having played with him a bit since he joined and we partnered in Barton Cup, he is very happy up there and was delighted as a newbie to have been picked on a few interclub teams

There will be a couple of years of correction in golf clubs from Covid's effect on golf. On the one hand, clubs have lost huge revenue from being closed. On the other clubs have taken in heaps of new members. I imagine gradually the numbers playing will drop and the amount each person is playing will decline. But I still think over the next couple of years we'll see timesheets far busier than they used to be. A lot who took up golf will keep it up, there will be very few foreign holidays this year, people might not be able to resume their other hobbies as quickly.

But clubs needed more members and will need to catch up on revenue to recover, so I think we'll just need to grin and bear it for a couple of years. But I'd say if people are looking for clubs with lots of space on the timesheets they'll struggle. And if you find one you should ask yourself why!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The leaky leaky leak machine is hinting at JUNE reopening

Time for people to stand up to this BS

Old people die. I possibly only have a few years of healthy living remaining. I dont want to be locked away for them

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

not yet wrote: »
    Will driving ranges be open before courses ?

No. They lockdown rules are the same as the golf course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

gypsy79 wrote: »

Old people die. I possibly only have a few years of healthy living remaining. I dont want to be locked away for them

Who's the Leaky machine is that varadker?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Explain that rationale if you would please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Pdoghue wrote: »

Is this not our anti-vax/lockdown friend from the last time? Wouldn't waste your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭blue note

I was going to ask here if anyone was hearing any leaks. I suspect the truth is that no-one knows what the plan to reopen golf is. So I won't react to the June reopening because I'd say there's no truth to it. And to be honest I'd say it's a long way off the mark.

My money is still on march for golf to start back. It could be some form of restricted golf. My hope is that it's no green fees / opens because that's the only one that makes any real sense to me. But they'll have to start reopening things at some stage. And I'd say golf will be pretty early on.

While we all want to be back playing as soon as is reasonable there is no way the current restrictions will be in place until June, absolutely no way.

I would hope given the restrictions we were supposed be released into in December that golf will be allowed at first re-opening

Our government work by leaking to papers and then judging reaction. Expect many more leaks via newspapers over next couple of weeks

Pdoghue wrote: »

Old people die. QALY should be the measure used to make decisions

I have stage 4 cancer. I want to live the last years of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I think the situation is so bad nobody is even discussing reopen anything yet.

I’m expecting the situation to be extend for another 3 weeks and that will bring us to the end of the school midterm. Until then it’s all guessing but new cases aren’t dropping enough so people need to kop on.

On positive news it seems manufacturing of vaccines is happening faster then expected and once we get 30% vaccine the death rate should drop by 90% because this will be most vulnerable people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

The quicker the vaccine rollout happens the quicker the country will start re-opening and golf will be early in that given its outdoor nature.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I’m expecting the situation to be extend for another 3 weeks and that will bring us to the end of the school midterm. Until then it’s all guessing but new cases aren’t dropping enough so people need to kop on.

How can you be taken seriously after saying that. They are dropping very very fast.

Jan 8 (5 day case average) - 6799
    Jan 14 (5 day case average) - 4466
    Jan 20 (5 day case average) - 2556

That implies an R rate around 0.6

So if that continues, then around Feb 1st (in 12 days) the case number should be below 1000. I calc it as 920.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Simon Coveney told Fine Gael party tonight that lockdown measures will be reviewed again at the end of February and that there is no
    expectation of any substantive reopening of economy before April. He said that the slower than expected decline in case numbers and
    pressure on the health service were the reasons why this lockdown will be with us for some time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,442 ✭✭✭✭kippy

How can you be taken seriously after saying that. They are dropping very very fast.

So if that continues, then around Feb 1st (in 12 days) the case number should be below 1000. I calc it as 920.

Would be great to see less than 1000 cases a day before Feb. However I think the numbers in hospital and ICU, availability of beds and the associated lag will also come into play. It won't just be the daily headline case numbers that will dictate policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Lockdown four weeks for all of February. At the end of February they will ask for 4 more weeks and then start reopening after Easter. There's no opening and then another lockdown.

This is the last lockdown but it's gonna be 12 weeks.

You really think they are gonna reopen golf before schools fully open? Or when there's a thousand cases a day??? Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,442 ✭✭✭✭kippy

bailey99 wrote: »
    Lockdown four weeks for all of February. At the end of February they will ask for 4 more weeks and then start reopening after Easter. There's no opening and then another lockdown.

This is the last lockdown but it's gonna be 12 weeks.

You really think they are gonna reopen golf before schools fully open? Or when there's a thousand cases a day??? Get real.

Golf (and schools) have been open with 1000 cases a day - so as a figure on it's own it would be plausible. However based on the other key numbers it's not likely to happen this time out.

There is no way in hell they are opening up and a few weeks later going back into lockdown.

Easter Sunday is 4th April. All the signs and indicators point to lockdown til then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I cant see any reduction in restrictions until we hitting less than 300 cases per day

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I cant see any reduction in restrictions until we hitting less than 300 cases per day

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I see you left the increase out from the 19th to the 20th....

How does that look like in your calculations come 1st Feb?

What you really need to work your figures off his the number of weekly tests by positive rate. Test numbers have dropped very little, thankfully the positive rate is coming down.

You also need to examine the other data coming from GPs in relation to referrals plus the increase rate of other variants in testing. The other variants will increase the numbers over time as it spreads, I believe it’s roughly only 50% of positive tests at the moment and as that increases it will make numbers harder to fall without people fulling buy-in to lockdown.

Of course you will see a drop from 8000 but go back to the last lockdown and see how the numbers stopped dropping at a certain level.

I don’t actually disagree that we will get back to 1000, but that’s still roughly 20 deaths a day.

I personally can’t except that!

Advertisement