Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangers of drinking cows milk, whey and casein

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

lol what has soy to do with this? you should look at my previous posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭WildBoots

Fun fact: the most commonly consumed milk in the world is camel's milk. I'd love to try some!

Don't drink too much or it might give ya the hump....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I've gotten to the stage where I just don't worry about the dairy thing any more, it tastes so damn good I'm happy to take my chances and enjoy things like double cream, butter and good cheese every day now. That any working on a cheese stall doesn't leave me with much will power to avoid the stuff at the end of the day :) You only live once and there's no point fussing about every little thing you put in your mouth. I tried the vegan thing for a few years and I missed cheese and butter so desperately, I'm much happier now I can take a drop of cream in my coffee. Better off to worry about the gluten, lectins, anti-nutrients, sugar and vegetable oils you may be consuming. Things that have are very very likely to have negative impact on your long term health. I think if you're outside the EU then it's important to make sure you're getting organic dairy though. There's a lot to be said for the health benefits of live yoghurt too, whatever one may think about milk or cheese.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

<snip>

Banned - Mr Magnolia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

someone mentioned here about drinking raw milk - I used to drink unpasteurized mail when I was younger and then I developed type 1 diabetes when I was 22. Its claimed one of the causes of type 1 diabates is raw dairy products ( i read it somewhere - dont know how true it is ) so I wouldnt advise to drink raw milk.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    someone mentioned here about drinking raw milk - I used to drink unpasteurized mail when I was younger and then I developed type 1 diabetes when I was 22. Its claimed one of the causes of type 1 diabates is raw dairy products ( i read it somewhere - dont know how true it is ) so I wouldnt advise to drink raw milk.

Although raw milk is NOT suitable for vunerable people like the immuno-compromised or pregnant women, AND you have to be sure the source is pristine and fresh, it's very unlikely raw milk can cause type 1 diabetes. If that was the case we would see really high prevalence of it amongst cultures that drink raw milk (like the Masai) and we actually see a lower prevalence.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

It seems like there is very little conclusive evidence for the consumption of dairy either way. So we know it has a good protein and fat profile and it contains important vitamins and minerals. And we also know that some people cannot tolerate it.

So is it safe to say that at the moment we just don't know whether consuming dairy is a good or a bad choice from a health perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Why does this forum make things soooo complicated

*if you can consume dairy without any side effects/gastro intestinal etc then there's no reason not to have it if you want it

*if you have issues with dairy then maybe that is a sign not to have it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I agree ULstudent, but that said, I'd no known issues with grains but I've still given them up.

Btw, a drop of double cream to me = 100ml. 3 times a day. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

scarymoon1 wrote: »

Where is it claimed? I've never heard this before so I'm going to out on a limb and say it's balderdash (28 years of drinking raw milk, and counting)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

On the topic of type 1 diabetes and milk, just came across the following:

http://healthcareupdates.com/2010/12/22/type-1-diabetes-mellitus-and-possible-causes-of-it/

So cow's milk could possibly be a factor in developing diabetes (though nothing is mentioned about raw or otherwise), if it is given to infants instead of breastmilk or if infants are weaned too soon, though it is harder to differentiate whether the lack of breastmilk is actually the main contributing factor.

It has to be said that there is some evidence that dairy fat appears to be protective against type II diabetes.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/12/dairy-fat-and-diabetes.html

Advertisement