Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

Outbreaks cropping up all over the place, I'm becoming increasingly sceptical that we'll see much of any rugby for the next year.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Outbreaks cropping up all over the place, I'm becoming increasingly sceptical that we'll see much of any rugby for the next year.

Play all the games in the Aviva!! :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Football all over the continent is playing away without any issues and I've heard health experts say that professional rugby, with continuous regular testing will be fine to play away too. There may be nobody at the matches, but they will go ahead. The amateur sport is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Academy players to return to training on 20/07. An A Provincial Cup replaces the Celtic Cup.

Provincial Representative Season Outline

12th September 2020 (PRO14 2019/20 Final Weekend)

Provincial A Fixtures Rd 1

19th September 2020 (EPCR 2019/20 Quarter-Final Weekend)

Provincial 7s Tournament Rd 1

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2020/07/09/irfu-announce-plans-for-academy-player-return-to-rugby/

26th September 2020 (EPCR 2019/20 Semi-Final Weekend)

Provincial A Fixtures Rd 2

3rd October 2020 (PRO14 2020/21 Rd 1 Weekend)

Provincial 7s Tournament Rd 2

10th October 2020 (PRO14 2020/21 Rd 2 Weekend)

Provincial A Fixtures Rd 3

17th October 2020 (EPCR 2019/20 Final Weekend)

Provincial 7s Tournament Rd 3

12th December 2020 (EPCR 2020/21 Pool Weekend)

Provincial A Fixtures Rd 4

16th January 2021 (EPCR 2020/21 Pool Weekend)

Provincial A Fixtures Rd 5

3rd April 2021 (EPCR 2020/21 Quarter-final Weekend)

Provincial A Fixtures Rd 6

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Advertisement

The tone of that statement is not exactly complimentary....these players didn't do the right and play ball kind of tone!

33 players in their senior squad as it stands, that's at least 10 less than any of the Irish provinces.

Meanwhile, those 33 players could potentially play 7 games in 4 weeks: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/53362990

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What was so different about the Leicester situation that led to them ending up here?

From what I've read , all the clubs negotiated changes to the terms for this season given the circumstances , what went so far wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    What was so different about the Leicester situation that led to them ending up here?

From what I've read , all the clubs negotiated changes to the terms for this season given the circumstances , what went so far wrong here?

Apparently the way it was handled across clubs varied massively. Some clubs held discussions with the players, and let them know the impact and why it had to happen and got agreement, others (and Leicester was one of the main ones reported) just handed out renewal contracts and told players they had to sign them almost immediately with no discussion or else leave. And I think a lot of players in Leicester took issue to the way it was done.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My guess is given how shite Leicester are at the moment they took a hard line with a group of players that they felt weren't cutting the mustard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Doubt there will be many tears shed in Leicester for Tuilagi, colossal waste of money over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Were the Leicester players' contracts due to be renewed anyway? If they don't accept the reduced contract isn't the alternative that the original contract stands unless the parties agree to walk away? Haven't seen on what grounds they have been terminated.

Suspect some players were happy to get out of Welford Road as they were to see them gone.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dont know if it was mentioned already here but Owen Williams gone from gloucester to japan... interesting that hes been quite forthright in saying that in these uncertain times, the certainty of a japanese paycheck over the uncertainty of the state of the welsh regions was a major factor in the decision... especially when you factor in he would be in line to increase his welsh caps at center due to parkes making a similar move

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Any idea where Tuilagi is off to?

Did I read something about clubs agreeing not to sign other clubs players in cases like these?

Did I read something about clubs agreeing not to sign other clubs players in cases like these?

Exeter are teasing a big signing....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Sangre wrote: »
    Were the Leicester players' contracts due to be renewed anyway? If they don't accept the reduced contract isn't the alternative that the original contract stands unless the parties agree to walk away? Haven't seen on what grounds they have been terminated.

Suspect some players were happy to get out of Welford Road as they were to see them gone.

It's the same as if any other employer brings in wage cuts I guess, you either accept it or your contract is terminated. Tuilagi had a year left on his deal, not sure about the rest.

Japan would be my guess - Lots of money and less pressure on his body..

It's not like he's been able to string together a whole season in quite some time sadly.

A guy that should have had a huge number of caps but could just never stay fit for long enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It's the same as if any other employer brings in wage cuts I guess, you either accept it or your contract is terminated. Tuilagi had a year left on his deal, not sure about the rest.

But thats not how it works? You can't terminate someone for not accepting a unilateral pay cut. You can try and make them redundant but that is a different process completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

All Black Documentary on TG4 tonight at 10.25pm

By The Balls
    A look back at a brutal and turbulent time for New Zealand rugby, told from the point of view of the players themselves. In the lead up to the first Rugby World Cup in 1987, the All Blacks were in disarray. A rebel tour to South Africa lead to deep divisions within the team and the nation as a whole. Through the eyes of Grant Fox, John Kirwan, Buck Shelford and David Kirk, this is the story of how the All Blacks' 1987 World Cup victory united New Zealand after their South Africa tour had divided it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sangre wrote: »
    But thats not how it works? You can't terminate someone for not accepting a unilateral pay cut. You can try and make them redundant but that is a different process completely.

There was some weird UK government window in which you could do it.

• Advertisement

I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a gentleman's agreement between English clubs to not sign/poach each others players during this time of uncertainty. Anyway, not too fussed about Tuilagi to Sale. They're one of those sides that always signs big players and never get the most out of them.

https://twitter.com/TelegraphRugby/status/1281931418495520768?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Not sure if this was posted already but looks like remaining 6 Nations fixtures out next week.

Ireland v Italy, Saturday 24th October

France v Ireland, Saturday 31st October

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/trick-or-treat-ireland-set-for-halloween-showdown-with-france-in-paris-1.4300439

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Clegg wrote: »
    I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a gentleman's agreement between English clubs to not sign/poach each others players during this time of uncertainty. Anyway, not too fussed about Tuilagi to Sale. They're one of those sides that always signs big players and never get the most out of them.

https://twitter.com/TelegraphRugby/status/1281931418495520768?s=19

dumping a huge amount of money on a marquee signing they don’t really need is a very Sale move

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If Leinster manage to make the 2 finals this year some players are going to have a serious schedule. The P14 KOs plus the HEC QFs & SFs are all on over 4 consecutive weeks. Then there's a 2 week break before the HEC final followed immediately be 2 weeks of 6Ns. Guys will need to play at least 1 of the inter-pro games to get back up to speed. And then there will need to be Ireland camp in there somewhere. Thats going to be tough. Hard to see Leinster do the double in those circumstances tbh.

Scheduling and new signings means the Pro 14 is stacked in Munstersr favour. Would frankly be embarrassing for them if they didn't win it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

molloyjh wrote: »
    If Leinster manage to make the 2 finals this year some players are going to have a serious schedule. The P14 KOs plus the HEC QFs & SFs are all on over 4 consecutive weeks. Then there's a 2 week break before the HEC final followed immediately be 2 weeks of 6Ns. Guys will need to play at least 1 of the inter-pro games to get back up to speed. And then there will need to be Ireland camp in there somewhere. Thats going to be tough. Hard to see Leinster do the double in those circumstances tbh.

Better off than the insane schedule in the Premiership...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Scheduling and new signings means the Pro 14 is stacked in Munstersr favour. Would frankly be embarrassing for them if they didn't win it.

:confused:

They've definitely benefitted the most out of the situation compared to other clubs (and I expect a bit of hyperbole around here at the best of times) but that's just absurdly over-stating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

aloooof wrote: »
    :confused:

They've definitely benefitted the most out of the situation compared to other clubs (and I expect a bit of hyperbole around here at the best of times) but that's just absurdly over-stating it.

I think it was a little joke.

Would be the beginning of the end of the club tbh.

• Advertisement

61BpWiO.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement