Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

CVC taking a 14.5% stake in the six nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

OldRio wrote: »

Beginning of the end. Six nations on pay per view. British and Irish league. No european rugby. Dark days ahead

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

OldRio wrote: »

1/7th

they have 28% of pro14 and 27% of premiership

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Granny15 wrote: »
    Beginning of the end. Six nations on pay per view. British and Irish league. No european rugby. Dark days ahead

Was wondering that. Thought the rights were protected here by law or something so had to be on terrestrial tv? Or is it if rights are sold as a package that wouldn't be the case anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Eod100 wrote: »
    Was wondering that. Thought the rights were protected here by law or something so had to be on terrestrial tv? Or is it if rights are sold as a package that wouldn't be the case anymore?

Nope. Only deferred coverage has to be free to air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

They must be shown on terrestrial but that can be deferred coverage. They dont have to be shown live on terrestrial channels

Nope. Only deferred coverage has to be free to air.
    They must be shown on terrestrial but that can be deferred coverage. They dont have to be shown live on terrestrial channels

Ah feck. Would be a dose to have to get another package to watch your national team tbh. Is it that Virgin Media just happens to be terrestrial then? So if CVC buy rights they could put behind a paywall presumably?

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah feck. Would be a dose to have to get another package to watch your national team tbh. Is it that Virgin Media just happens to be terrestrial then? So if CVC buy rights they could put behind a paywall presumably?

The only thing stopping the 6N selling to pay-tv is the fear of public uproar and the fear of politicians moving to protect the games on the back of such uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    The only thing stopping the 6N selling to pay-tv is the fear of public uproar and the fear of politicians moving to protect the games on the back of such uproar.

Which is exactly what Alex White threatened to do last time and is almost certainly what his equivalent would do this time. CVC in theory have no hold over government ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Burkie1203 wrote: »

They are in really bad shape.

Which is exactly what Alex White threatened to do last time and is almost certainly what his equivalent would do this time. CVC in theory have no hold over government ministers.

Given loss of income IRFU could be facing, if they thought it was in their best financial interest to sell wonder would that opposition still be there. Not saying it would happen like that but not sure how firm that government line would be in the circumstances

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Given loss of income IRFU could be facing, if they thought it was in their best financial interest to sell wonder would that opposition still be there. Not saying it would happen like that but not sure how firm that government line would be in the circumstances

It would almost certainly still be there. I am not sure anyone would really buy the idea that paytv is the difference between survival or collapse for the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,306 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Which is exactly what Alex White threatened to do last time and is almost certainly what his equivalent would do this time.

How would it work in practise though?
    I understand the European (EU) list system so we could apply it to Ireland home games and our away games in France and Italy.
    But could they compel a non-EU country like the UK to comply? Half the games in the 6N take place in the UK.

awec wrote: »
    It would almost certainly still be there. I am not sure anyone would really buy the idea that paytv is the difference between survival or collapse for the union.

I don't think it is but just assume government's position isn't isolated one and influenced by IRFU's position too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Burkie1203 wrote: »

My sympathy meter is zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I personally would love to see a British and Irish league.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    My sympathy meter is zero.

Even for the people who lost their jobs?

bilston wrote: »

Not sure I'd trust the RFU or the premiership clubs for that matter enough to get more into bed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

bilston wrote: »

Says the Unionist. It would be suicide to pit our provinces in a League where the Unions can’t help fund the provinces and the provinces gate receipts can’t help fund the IRFU. We have a symbiotic relationship with the IRFU that helps us punch above our weight in Europe. To see that relationship altered to get more TV money and risk the historical integrity of how the provinces have always functioned is madness. We’d be putting our provinces future into the hands of pay masters in England something that might not go down too well with some of us who have a history of oppression from said country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Says the Unionist. It would be suicide to pit our provinces in a League where the Unions can’t help fund the provinces and the provinces gate receipts can’t help fund the IRFU. We have a symbiotic relationship with the IRFU that helps us punch above our weight in Europe. To see that relationship altered to get more TV money and risk the historical integrity of how the provinces have always functioned is madness. We’d be putting our provinces future into the hands of pay masters in England something that might not go down too well with some of us who have a history of oppression from said country.

WTF?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    WTF?!?!?

I'm surprised anyone even acts shocked at the stuff he's come out with over the past couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Poster is taking a holiday, no need to discuss further. Back on topic everyone, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Even for the people who lost their jobs?

I’ve sympathy for them yes of course. I was referring to the RFU having a cash shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭scott1974

Another atricle where Lewis Ludlam and Ellis Genge are mixed up!!

https://www.the42.ie/leicester-england-trio-deals-5144793-Jul2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

scott1974 wrote: »
    Another atricle where Lewis Ludlam and Ellis Genge are mixed up!!

https://www.the42.ie/leicester-england-trio-deals-5144793-Jul2020/

Belfast Telegraph used the same photo earlier today, looks like someone marked the photos incorrectly at the press agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭scott1974

Belfast Telegraph used the same photo earlier today, looks like someone marked the photos incorrectly at the press agency.

The second time in a few months... very sloppy..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Advertisement

Champions and Challenge will be taking place somewhere else besides Marseille. Guess it's probably behind closed doors anyway? There's guaranteed to be at least 1 French team in semi. If no fans they could nearly have waited til after qfs or semis to decide. https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1281151886817665025?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement