Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lead ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

tudderone wrote: »
    A worrying apect is the presumption of guilt if you were to be found to be within 100 meters of wetland and had lead cartridges on you. Wouldn't this be illegal ?

Yes it is!! But apparently now "All are innocent until proven guilty, except gunowners,as they are guilty anyway!" This is the pertinent point Scallan et al have been trying to raise that this flies in the face of natural justice and EU law itself. So now the only way to smash this is to make a test case of this and get arrested under this new legislation to show the gross error of this AFAICS:(

Got replies from EU MEPS via FUN, but nothing from Irish MEP's.Pity Marian Harkin quit Brussels. She was a good person to have in our corner.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭SVI40

GooseB wrote: »
    How many people here wrote to the MEP's about this prior to the voting taking place? What did people actively do? I sent a letter to all our MEP's except the Greens because they are beyond useless.

I received a reply from one of them last Friday, after the final voting had finished. I won't say who it was as I consider this private correspondence (regardless if it was copied/pasted to everyone or not).

I don't understand the last words "should it become law". This has been voted on and surely it should have said "when it becomes law"?

Anyway, I thanked them for being the only one to have the decency to reply and tried to put my case forward for the upcoming bans on all civilian lead ammo and the problems it would cause.

So what did anyone else receive back in reply?

Verbatim reply from the same person. Myself and other club members got the exact same reply, from the same MEP.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

Got 3 replies to be fair. One good reply one bad reply and one big debate that ended up in a bit of to and Froing but I knew my point would never have been listened to so I was really wasting my breath. But I tried so there wasn't much more I could do.
    To be honest I don't think many meps would have even properly read it. Just seen lead = bad so decided they would vote for it. I watched the agenda for the plenary where it was voted and they had a full agenda of proposals to be voted on. I think the lead ban would have been bottom of their list to worry about
    Yes I sent off the mail but I put all the MEP’s on it but only 2 replied to me one was low and behold the party against shooting but I feel fellows tried there best but as a shooting community we’d nearly have to start supporting or funding candidates in government and Europe on our behalf as the anti’s are gaining ground left right a e centre.

Nope, it seems to be about big driven shoots and game dealers not wanting to sell game, most of which goes abroad, with lead in it. That is where the money is and the basc and other shooting orgs are not going to bite the hand that feeds. Ordinary shooters can get stuffed it appears.
    Like a mate says to me would U rather get a ball of lead in your meat then steel if u bit down hard or chewed it but I see your point. I’m just wondering where game dealers go to now in exporting game from UK with brexit and regulations and protocols in place it will probably be a proper headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭badaj0z

• Advertisement

That put the cat amongst the pigeons alright!:D:D
    So they aren't a threat to the environment? Ask the Aussies...:pac:

environment.gov.au/system/files/resources/bb591b82-1699-4660-8e75-6f5612b21d5f/files/factsheet-tackling-feral-cats-and-their-impacts-faqs.pdf

Germany, you are allowed to shoot any cat 50 meters from any man-made structure, and any dog not under their direct master's control. EVEN if collard and the owner are within hailing or sight distance.

We don't have too many straying cats or dogs over there in the fields or forests.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

So steel drops like a stone and has much less penetration.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

So steel drops like a stone and has much less penetration.

Steel won't come close to doing the same job. It's a poor substitute.

Talking to a lad on another forum, who is a gunsmith. He was telling me if the lead ban comes in, that the small bores shotguns are history, by small bore he means the .410 and 28 bore. They can't throw enough steel shot to be worth a curse on either clays or game. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭GooseB

The hunting group FACE is looking for hunters to complete a survey regarding lead ammunition - that's ALL lead ammunition, not just shotguns. I don't hunt but filled it in any way, Q.2 in the survey asks if you're a hunter or not so they know where I was coming from. There are still questions regarding your non hunting related shooting so obviously these still applied to me. Just wanted my head counted even if I just target shoot as the ban will effect us all regardless - they don't want civilians with any guns and that's the final goal with all this.

It's quite quick to fill in, takes about 2 minutes.

https://www.face.eu/2020/12/hunters-survey-on-lead/

Click on the green box labelled "English" to launch the survey itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭garrettod

I think it took a bit more than 2 minutes, tbh - but no doubt that its worth completing.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭minktrapper

With all this talk of banning lead I hope they (The authorities) put as much effort in to banning plastic. The amount of damage plastic is doing to the environment and humans (microbeads) must far outweigh the damage lead in hunting is doing. If any damage is being done at all.

With all this talk of banning lead I hope they (The authorities) put as much effort in to banning plastic. The amount of damage plastic is doing to the environment and humans (microbeads) must far outweigh the damage lead in hunting is doing. If any damage is being done at all.

Nothing to do with the environment Minktrapper, its gun control pure and simple, which is why some of the eastern European countries, like the Czech republic are fighting it so hard.

The hunting group FACE is looking for hunters to complete a survey regarding lead ammunition - that's ALL lead ammunition, not just shotguns. I don't hunt but filled it in any way, Q.2 in the survey asks if you're a hunter or not so they know where I was coming from. There are still questions regarding your non hunting related shooting so obviously these still applied to me. Just wanted my head counted even if I just target shoot as the ban will effect us all regardless - they don't want civilians with any guns and that's the final goal with all this.

From reading the survey there predicting by 2030 that all lead shot will be phased out for hunting and non hunting by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Nothing to do with the environment Minktrapper, its gun control pure and simple, which is why some of the eastern European countries, like the Czech republic are fighting it so hard.

Is that because of their close proximity to Russia and a fear of communism.

Is that because of their close proximity to Russia and a fear of communism.

Forty plus years of living under a communist dictatorship would make you a bit cynical of unaccountable, faceless, pan-nationalist organisations, which the eu seems to be becoming.

Or from invasions from the West particularly from Berlin to annex areas that have got some faint trace of German ethnicity.Be like Ireland invading Iceland or the Scottish isles as they are "Irish" living there from slave raids in the early middle ages.

Plastic ammo anyone ? More plastic microbeads in the water, fish, meat and every other bloody thing.

Bundeswehr training ammo...Comes or came in 9mm and 7.62 NATO.Still leathl enough.I believe some German police had an accident with it in 9mm in a killing house arena where one officer caught one in the chest and died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I remember some rounds like that but they were black and had alloy rims.

They are blanks.
    The "bullet" part deforms and ruptures when fired.
    Were all over the forests in Germany when the US army came thru on annual Summer manoeuvres where we live.

Nothing like been woken up at 6 AM in Summer by the helicopter attack scene from "Apocalypse Now "coming down the valley at treetop height on their way to hit the imaginary hordes of the Red army sweeping Westwards.:)
    Good times!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

FACE Statement:

Europe has received clear answer over claims of maladministration
    Statement by FACE President, Torbjörn Larsson - 22/12/2020.
    Back in May, many national and European politicians expressed serious concerns over the European Commission’s (DG Environment) handling of the lead shot over wetlands restriction under REACH.
    It was claimed (e.g. see link) that the Nature Protection Unit within DG Environment was in breach of the rules by encouraging national representatives in an expert group to actively engage to ensure a positive vote on a legal proposal (lead shot over wetlands) that had exclusive competence within another formal committee under REACH.
    This was a serious claim about maladministration affecting millions of citizens within the European Union. More importantly, a claim about a union of Member States and institutions that is founded on strong principles of democracy, transparency and the rule of law.
    At the time, I met with Virginijus Sinkevičius, the Commissioner for Environment, Oceans and Fisheries and raised the concerns of citizens in the European hunting community. Many Members of the European Parliament raised concerns too, but the Commission denied any misconduct (e.g. see link). However, following a complaint to the European Ombudsman, the result, which was just published, is clear:
    “…the Ombudsman considers that the Commission’s request went beyond what is appropriate to promote its legitimate interest when it explicitly asked NADEG members to contact their national authorities to advocate for a positive vote on the draft Commission Regulation. In accordance with the rules governing expert groups, the role of these groups is to provide advice and expertise to the Commission. Their role does not ostensibly extend to influencing a vote in a comitology committee.
    NOTE TO EDITORS: FACE is the European Federation for Hunting and Conservation. Established in 1977, FACE represents the interests of Europe’s 7 million hunters as an
    international non-profit-making nongovernmental organisation. FACE is made up of national hunters’ associations from 37 European countries including the EU-28. FACE is
    supported by 7 associate members and is based in Brussels. FACE upholds the principle of sustainable use and has been a member of the International Union for the
    Conservation of Nature (IUCN) since 1987. Visit www.face.eu
    FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT: Alessio Borrello, Communication Manager – alessio.borrello@face.eu
    The Ombudsman further stated that such “an expert group is not the appropriate forum for the Commission to make a request such as the one that it made to NADEG members” adding that “that the Commission’s request to NADEG members was not appropriate in this case”.
    As President of FACE, my view on this is clear: EU democracy has failed millions of European citizens. The Commission acted in breach of procedural rules and due practice on a file that will affect millions of citizens. The Members of the European Parliament reacted but need to be much stronger in the future when such serious claims of maladministration are made.
    Europe has received a clear answer on these claims. I trust that there will be critical lessons learned and consequences resulting from this significant Ombudsman verdict.
    FACE works closely with the Nature Protection Unit, which is responsible for the implementation of the EU’s nature directives.
    Torbjörn Larsson, President of FACE (22 December 2020).

Bottom line:

The EU Ombudswoman found that the EC was involved in maladministration by instructing the NADEG experts from each member state to instruct the reach representative from each member state to vote for the restriction ' Lead Shot over Wetlands.

In other words they fouled the ball to get the measure passed.

berettaman wrote: »
    Bottom line:

The EU Ombudswoman found that the EC was involved in maladministration by instructing the NADEG experts from each member state to instruct the reach representative from each member state to vote for the restriction ' Lead Shot over Wetlands.

Quelle suprise

Bottom line:

As far as I know FACE Ireland and NARGC lodged a complaint about this matter.

They broke their own rules. They are caught rotten on this.

As far as I know FACE Ireland and NARGC lodged a complaint about this matter.

They broke their own rules. They are caught rotten on this.

Unfortunately it seems that it won't go any further that this.

https://www.ombudsman.europa.eu/en/decision/en/136305

Conclusion: "No further inquiries are justified on the basis of this complaint"

so IOW,"you were very naughty boys and girls,so don't do it again!" type conclusion.
    Wonder would it have been different if Emly ORiely had looked at this?
    She was a brilliant ombudsman here in Ireland, and I owe her a debt of gratitude as she personally fought my case to get my information released from the Dept of Justice and AGS under the FOIA when they were stalling out and obfuscating.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately it seems that it won't go any further that this.

https://www.ombudsman.europa.eu/en/decision/en/136305

Conclusion: "No further inquiries are justified on the basis of this complaint"

I'll think you'll find this is usually the case. Breaking their own fiscal/budget rules ? Ah shure be grand, don't do it again.................until the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Bollox on that. They can't break rules and let it pass.. why bother having rules..

Advertisement