Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtaking funeral convoys - yay or nay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Check RIP.ie for funeral times and plan accordingly. You must work unusual hours, I've never seen regular funerals early in the morning.

Glasnevin Crematorium have cremations from 8am onwards. Checking RIP won't tell you the route a funeral is taking, so is really of little use, even if it wasn't a mad suggestion.

In answer to the OP, only time I would ever overtake a funeral cortege is on a motorway or dual carriageway. It would be inappropriate not to in those situations. Obviously there wouldn't be walkers involved in the cortege in these situations, but they still drive the hearse slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Hearses don't drive slowly on a motorway and mourners don't walk behind, that's a completely different situation and the hearse stays in the driving lane to allow others overtake.

No walkers obviously, but by the hearse that carried my Dad had to take the M50, with me and a few card behind. They set the pace at 60 km/h.

Obviously we all kept to the left, and everyone else just overtook us without any issue, as they should.

On the single lane roads in 50 zones, the speed dropped to about 30, and no-one overtook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Jayus no - remember Foxford and the Mayo GAA...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A shocking indictment of Irish society.

Yeah, way worse than those drive by shootings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Just because they're unaware of it, doesn't mean it's disrespectful. Would you like your mother to be insulted behind both of your backs?

As the two of us would - obviously - be wholly unaware of it, it's difficult to know why or how it would affect me in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I personally wouldn't, but I also think that there should be a limit to how far the walkers can go. In the example above, 2km on a normal road is too much imo. Walk for a bit and then drive. It's not fair on other road users to block up the road like that for an unfair amount of time. That's what we do local, the coffin gets walked to the edge of the village and drive then to the graveyard of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

nails1 wrote: »
    The hearse with the limos behind. Doing 30 in a 50 zone. Seem to be getting stuck behind them everyday going to work and I do be late but too polite to overtake

I remember when my girlfriend's father died. We were taking the coffin out from the house to the hearse in a fairly narrow streeted estate in Manchester. People were standing in the street in their suits etc., shaking hands, a few hugs, a few tears.

3 working lads in a white van came around the corner and were obviously blocked. They pulled in, shut off the engine and radio. Stubbed out their cigarettes and got out. All tattoos and broken noses and covered in paint. Didn't talk amongst themselves or anything. Just stood there for as long as it took. And it took at least 30 minutes.

They didn't move until the last of the mourners left.

Fair play lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't really think this is as big a problem as is being made out. If its a slow-moving funeral going from church to graveyard its unlikely to be going very far and likely through an urban area so no high speed driving anyway. If there are walkers then the above applies more so, and it would be completely ignorant and dangerous to overtake.

If the hearse is going at any sort of speed then its not a cortege any more, just a hearse and a number of cars going somewhere, so its absolutely fine to overtake. They will become a cortege again when they get to their destination. I once did a Dublin to Mayo trip in those circumstances and the hearse was away and leaving the rest of us to keep up as best we could

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

The hearse with the limos behind. Doing 30 in a 50 zone. Seem to be getting stuck behind them everyday going to work and I do be late but too polite to overtake

Are you a gravedigger per chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,439 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No. Ask the mayo county board and long suffering fans if it's worth it.

• Advertisement

PsychoPete wrote: »
    If you can overtake them safely then work away

There's no need to.

There are a lot of sad people in the cars and driving past them sends the message that their pain is an inconvenience to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

If you slow down as you're passing the hearse and bless yourself before a couple of beeps to send the deceased on their way, you'll be fine.

Don't just race past. That's rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Where are you living that there is a daily funeral ?

How many days have you been late to work without realising that your failure to do anything to change this is your problem rather than the funeral?

Funeals, wakes and the respect we afford the dead is probably the one thing we still do very well in this country.

begbysback wrote: »
    Lads if I’m dead and in the box then feel free to overtake, ain’t going to bother me, but if I’m in the ambulance then get ta fcuk outta the way ya prik.

Ain't going to bother you either of your grave is desecrated.

It might however bother your surviving friends and relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

I would if I could, unless you know the person/ the people why does anyone even care. A stranger in life, a stranger in death, I don’t get this respect for a funeral thing at all. Even worse is when you have to stop as they pass by, drives me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I had a family funeral very recently. Owing to covid there was only a small few of us at the funeral and resting place so only a handful of cars. While driving behind the hearse I noticed the number of people that drove up beside the slow moving traffic but when they saw why it was moving slow eased off and merged again. It seems like it is a thing to be respectful of the final journey. I personally would be.

Except the guy in the old sky blue Merc. You can go fcuk yourself you ignorant prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Nay, but if you're intent on overtaking then make sure you can clear the cortege because I can't imagine anything worse than having to pull in behind the hearse or between the chief mourners' cars. Something similar happened to Simon on an episode of the Inbetweeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Buses with standard passengers are limited to 65 km/h in the European Union.
    Does the 41x and 33x Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann with staning passengers on the ruffle your feathers on the motorway too?

You only have to be capable of maintaining 50 km/h to use the motorway. That's what the overtaking lane is for.

Wtf you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

why not? I do it for the free tea and triangle shaped sandwiches all the time, the grub's been a bit scarce lately though

Future politician right here, hitting the funeral circuit

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

hurikane wrote: »
    Wtf you talking about?

Check posting history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Unless I need to get to someone fast who is very close to death the thought would never even enter my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Where the heck do you live if you're A. encountering regular funeral corteges and B. they all feature limousines?

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Ain't going to bother you either of your grave is desecrated.

It might however bother your surviving friends and relatives.

Jaysus that’s a leap, from overtaking hearses to desecrating graves. I mean ye would come outta the confession box with 2 Hail Marys for the first, but ye mightn’t get out of the box alive for the second one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Where the heck do you live if you're A. encountering regular funeral corteges and B. they all feature limousines?

Next door to the mortuary ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭This time with style

Shtick it into tops and flake it on by. A wee respectful toot of the horn as you're over taking and maybe a pleasant wave.

Serious answer, I wouldn't over take a funeral. A bit of respect for someone who has died and their loved ones is the proper thing to do imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

screamer wrote: »
    I would if I could, unless you know the person/ the people why does anyone even care. A stranger in life, a stranger in death, I don’t get this respect for a funeral thing at all. Even worse is when you have to stop as they pass by, drives me nuts.

Sure everything has to stop S, You'll have to stop someday yourself so you better get used to it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Stay at home

Honestly I don't understand why its deemed disrespectful to overtake a hearse

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Every day! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

For those saying no way ever, are we still talking about a cortege with mourners, that first bit after leaving the house/church kinda gig?

Or do you mean you wouldn't overtake on a dual carriageway either?

Like others here I once blazed past a funeral on a dual carriageway. I was young and stupid and drove too fast so when I came off the roundabout and saw a big queue I just horses past them at 120kmph. Nearly died when I spotted the hearse but the deed was done at that stage...

Still though, on a dual carriageway I don't see an issue with passing. I'd do it slowly and sensibly though. If we're talking a procession with pedestrians, hell no. Not a chance.

Another question, if you're in town or on a single lane road and a cortege is coming towards you, do you stop as it passes?

Advertisement