Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtaking funeral convoys - yay or nay?

Options
  • 01-07-2020 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

The hearse with the limos behind. Doing 30 in a 50 zone. Seem to be getting stuck behind them everyday going to work and I do be late but too polite to overtake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

nails1 wrote: »
    The hearse with the limos behind. Doing 30 in a 50 zone. Seem to be getting stuck behind them everyday going to work and I do be late but too polite to overtake

Absolutely not

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭SpencerJC

I wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

If doing 30 in a 50 zone makes you late, you're already late - if you left on time you'd be ahead of the funeral.

How much time do you reckon can be gained, give us more info OP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Do you want to wait 60 plus years for an all ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Same sort of person who'll dangerously over take someone on a bike no doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I wouldn't, it's incredibly disrespectful to the family. It's also dangerous if there's a hearse and a large cortege behind it.

Check RIP.ie for funeral times and plan accordingly. You must work unusual hours, I've never seen regular funerals early in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

I wouldn't, it's incredibly disrespectful to the family. It's also dangerous if there's a hearse and a large cortege behind it.

Check RIP.ie for funeral times and plan accordingly. You must work unusual hours, I've never seen regular funerals early in the morning.

whilst i woudn't do it (overtake) myself, telling somebody they should check rip.ie to plan a journey is farcical, what will be will be, deal with it, the world won't end!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

There's a story and family behind each one, not just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

whilst i woudn't do it (overtake) myself, telling somebody they should check rip.ie to plan a journey is farcical, what will be will be, deal with it, the world won't end!

why not? I do it for the free tea and triangle shaped sandwiches all the time, the grub's been a bit scarce lately though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If you can overtake them safely then work away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

They've said they're late for work because if it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

I doubt you're stuck behind them everyday.

If it is a regular thing (and I doubt it is) then plan accordingly and leave earlier.

That's someone's last journey btw, show some fücking respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

I doubt you're stuck behind them everyday.

If it is a regular thing (and I doubt it is) then plan accordingly and leave earlier.

That's someone's last journey btw, show some fücking respect.

this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am very old school, so No I have a great deal of respect for a funeral.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Overtake. You don't want to piss off mourners, like what the Inbetweeners did.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Good, fair play to you, keep your politeness and have patience, or leave a little earlier. Respect the cortege.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I did it once by accident. I was running late to catch a boat. Had to overtake a few groups of cars, and on the last one I ended up behind the hearse and realised. Felt really bad about it. The hearse driver pulled over towards the hard shoulder then, so I could get past.
    I just about made the boat. My own fault for leaving Dublin too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Do you want to wait 60 plus years for an all ireland?

If your a Dub OP I would advise you to pass the funeral. Maybe lower your windows while blasting "highway to hell" at full volume.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Its something I would not do. And I can't understand why people are reluctant to pull over and let ambulances and fire engines past when in an emergency. I'm a fu¢ker at the best of times, but funerals fire brigades and ambulances are sacrosanct in respect to road journeys. Saying that I often wonder how half the dickheads on the road actually get their driving licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I remember someone on here saying before that they were going to bury their father and some arsehole got stuck behind the funeral cortege and started blowing his car horn and roaring at them to move out of his way. The family weren't far off pulling him out of his car and beating him. what a prick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Unless there's room to overtake 1 vehicle at a time you shouldn't even think of it. Just because nothing is on the other side of the road when you start, doesn't mean something isn't coming down the other side of the road and you'll become the obstruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I live beside two graveyards so yes I overtake funerals all the time. I wouldn't go ripping past them of course but if there's an overtaking lane beside the cortege then I don't see the problem.

That said I'm in north county Dublin so the roads and graveyards would be busier than say a small country town or village graveyard where I think there are small cultural differences in funerals. I've been to a few country funerals where it seems the whole town or village turn out and shoulder the coffin for a distance, in this case I'd hang back out of respect (its rare you'd see this where I am).

Like everything else in life, use a little cop on and try do the decent thing whenever possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

As my father used to say, "What's the hurry, we're all going where he's going eventually!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Kylta wrote: »
    Its something I would not do. And I can't understand why people are reluctant to pull over and let ambulances and fire engines past when in an emergency. I'm a fu¢ker at the best of times, but funerals fire brigades and ambulances are sacrosanct in respect to road journeys. Saying that I often wonder how half the dickheads on the road actually get their driving licences.

The A-Level prick move is gluing yourself to the back an ambulance and using it as a traffic sweeper in your own personal motorcade so that everyone who pulled in to let it past cannot pull out and resume their journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I always burn past them at full tilt blasting my la cucaracha horn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Lads if I’m dead and in the box then feel free to overtake, ain’t going to bother me, but if I’m in the ambulance then get ta fcuk outta the way ya prik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

The distance from the RC Church in Bantry to the graveyard is 2 km. The tradition is for family and friends to walk behind the hearse probably saying the rosary as they trudge along. For 90% of the distance, the roadway involved is the N71.

The procession takes about 25 minutes and, in the summer months, the tailback can literally run for a few miles. Many of the affected tourists genuinely cannot believe that this sort of nonsense is tolerated in the 21st Century. I share their view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

The distance from the RC Church in Bantry to the graveyard is 2 km. The tradition is for family and friends to walk behind the hearse probably saying the rosary as they trudge along. For 90% of the distance, the roadway involved is the N71.

The procession takes about 25 minutes and, in the summer months, the tailback can literally run for a few miles. Many of the affected tourists genuinely cannot believe that this sort of nonsense is tolerated in the 21st Century. I share their view.

People are given more respect dead than alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If I can overtake safely, why not.
    If I was a mourner, I couldn't give a flying fcuk what overtakes, so long as they do so safely. The person in the box won't care one way or the other. The world doesn't stop for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Wouldn't ya think people could at least die in the Winter or thier families freeze them to avoid disrupting yourself and a few scaldy looking tourists .

Advertisement