Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtaking funeral convoys - yay or nay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The distance from the RC Church in Bantry to the graveyard is 2 km. The tradition is for family and friends to walk behind the hearse probably saying the rosary as they trudge along. For 90% of the distance, the roadway involved is the N71.

The procession takes about 25 minutes and, in the summer months, the tailback can literally run for a few miles. Many of the affected tourists genuinely cannot believe that this sort of nonsense is tolerated in the 21st Century. I share their view.

Why dont you just keep beeping the horn at them toget out of your way? After all you are a very important person. I'm sure that they would understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Two old Gents Roderick and Cedric playing on a golf course, in the distance on the road beside they spot a funeral convoy.

Cedric immediately takes of his golf hat and bows his head to the ground
    Roderick slightly bewildered, follows suit and as the cars fade into the distance he says:

'Good heavens man, i'm very impressed with your respect for that poor soul'
    Cedric replies : 'well, we were married for 35 years'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,819 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I always burn past them at full tilt blasting my la cucaracha horn

This, should be mandatory.. ;) seriously though... the road traffic act mandates that a vehicle should be driven with due care and attention and progress should be maintained. If you are driving a vehicle at 18 kmh in a 50 zone... that’s not with due care and attention, it’s driving slow, too slow.

We get it’s a solemn and somber occasion but there are other road users to be considered, their safety to be ensured.

If somebody is running late for work, that can happen for a myriad of genuine reasons, somebody could be running from a hospital appointment or dropping a child to school..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Unless there's room to overtake 1 vehicle at a time
    I live beside two graveyards so yes I overtake funerals all the time.
    The distance from the RC Church in Bantry to the graveyard is 2 km. Many of the affected tourists genuinely cannot believe that this sort of nonsense is tolerated in the 21st Century. I share their view.
    If I can overtake safely, why not.
    The world doesn't stop for you.

A shocking indictment of Irish society.

Jesus. If a 2km road at walking pace irks you then maybe you shouldn't be driving. You're too easily angered behind the wheel.

Just show some respect, even if you can overtake, don't. It's a mark of courtesy. It's like pushing past an elderly woman on a staircase.

It's someone's last journey.

To the person who suggested overtaking one vehicle at a time? Jesus weeps. Imagine weaving in and out of pedestrian mourners and mourning cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

I’ve overtaken a few accidentally.

See cars ahead in left hand lane on motorway, move out to overtake, as you get towards the end of the line of cars, there it is a hearse. No aborting at that stage.

Has happened 3/4 times maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

hurikane wrote: »

See cars ahead in left hand lane on motorway, move out to overtake, as you get towards the end of the line of cars, there it is a hearse. No aborting at that stage.

Hearses don't drive slowly on a motorway and mourners don't walk behind, that's a completely different situation and the hearse stays in the driving lane to allow others overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Hearses don't drive slowly on a motorway and mourners don't walk behind, that's a completely different situation and the hearse stays in the driving lane to allow others overtake.

Well they certainly aren’t hitting 120kph, well below 80kph is what I’ve seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

There's nothing wrong with doing it on a road with an overtaking lane. It's passing on the far side of the road that gets people's goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

But they stay in the driving lane to allow others to overtake.

There's plenty of drivers who tootle along at 60kph on a motorway for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Happened at my own mothers funeral in a suburban area of cork city - Approx 600m from Funeral Home to Church - So Hearse at the front followed by walkers behind. Bout 7.30pm at night so well outside peak times - One Numpty in a souped up piece of crap, decided he couldnt wait and dangerously overtook at the brow of a hill with limited visibilty, he had to swerve in pretty tight to the hearse after his stunt to avoid oncoming traffic.

Now i wouldnt let something like that rile me up but you could visibly see virtually everyone at the funeral go "what a prick" .

• Advertisement

Buses with standard passengers are limited to 65 km/h in the European Union.
    Does the 41x and 33x Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann with staning passengers on the ruffle your feathers on the motorway too?

You only have to be capable of maintaining 50 km/h to use the motorway. That's what the overtaking lane is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with doing it on a road with an overtaking lane. It's passing on the far side of the road that gets people's goat.

There is no problem overtaking a funeral cortege.
    In the great majority of cases, no disrespect intended or taken.
    You can't legislate for orseholes or their behaviour.

You must do it safely, especially in non motorway/dual carriageway conditions where you need to cross the middle line of the road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Jesus. If a 2km road at walking pace irks you then maybe you shouldn't be driving. You're too easily angered behind the wheel.

Just show some respect, even if you can overtake, don't. It's a mark of courtesy. It's like pushing past an elderly woman on a staircase.

To the person who suggested overtaking one vehicle at a time? Jesus weeps. Imagine weaving in and out of pedestrian mourners and mourning cars.

Thats not what I said, but sure, you can't be shocked by the rest of the content of my post so pull at whatever suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd overtake if it was on a motorway/dual carriageway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Have you ever asked any of your deceased friends how they felt about it?

Fact is that it's an onanistic bit of showing off by the living and the deceased really couldn't give a fukc. In fact they're probably just longing to be laid to rest and can't wait until the circus is over.

Have you ever asked any of your deceased friends how they felt about it?

Just because they're unaware of it, doesn't mean it's disrespectful. Would you like your mother to be insulted behind both of your backs?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The A-Level prick move is gluing yourself to the back an ambulance and using it as a traffic sweeper in your own personal motorcade so that everyone who pulled in to let it past cannot pull out and resume their journey.

I've actually seen that done on many an occasion. And it's almost comes to a crash when the traffic that let say an ambulance past try to get back into lane only to find its block by mr I don't give a fu¢k. It an accident waiting to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Jesus your town must have some seriously bad luck if there is a funeral every single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Depends.

I came upon one once on the open road and was late for a meeting so overtook 6-7 cars on the straight.

I doubt the guy in the coffin minded too much and it made fcuk all difference to anyone in the convoy.

I certainly wasn't going to sit behind the for 15 minutes at 50km an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Depends.

I came upon one once on the open road and was late for a meeting so overtook 6-7 cars on the straight.

I doubt the guy in the coffin minded too much and it made fcuk all difference to anyone in the convoy.

Aye, but you are terribly important to be fair, would expect a funeral to pull over out of your way if they saw you coming tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SpielCheck

This thread is too funny

Is it a parody thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

The only way you can do it without going to hell is a stand up wheelie on a sports bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If there's an overtaking lane than absolutely yes I would overtake them. Anytime I was part of a funeral cortege it never bothered me or anyone in the car with me if someone overtook.

• Site Banned Posts: 6 Laser Disk

The distance from the RC Church in Bantry to the graveyard is 2 km. The tradition is for family and friends to walk behind the hearse probably saying the rosary as they trudge along. For 90% of the distance, the roadway involved is the N71.

The procession takes about 25 minutes and, in the summer months, the tailback can literally run for a few miles. Many of the affected tourists genuinely cannot believe that this sort of nonsense is tolerated in the 21st Century. I share their view.

Guarantee the tourists are impressed we still have our traditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

definitely not and if the procession was coming towards me I would slow right down to a crawl and stop as the family passes (if on a minor road)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Effects wrote: »
    I did it once by accident. I was running late to catch a boat. Had to overtake a few groups of cars, and on the last one I ended up behind the hearse and realised. Felt really bad about it. The hearse driver pulled over towards the hard shoulder then, so I could get past.
    I just about made the boat. My own fault for leaving Dublin too late.

Did it once by accident myself, was on a motorbike near enough Glasnevin cemetery and thought it was the usual traffic jam. Overtook about 7 or 8 slow moving cars before getting to the top and seeing 2 limos and a hearse up ahead. Wasnt going for the full overtake of them so had to slide in sheepishly between the limo and car behind. Luckily for me about 100 metres later they turned into the cemetery itself. Felt bad about it but it was a genuine mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Overtake and then slow down to 20. That’ll learn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Aye, but you are terribly important to be fair, would expect a funeral to pull over out of your way if they saw you coming tbh.

I don't like being late for meetings, particularly ones which I'm chairing.

Overtake and then slow down to 20. That’ll learn them.

A funeral procession is something I would never trifle with, and I'm hardly religious or superstitious. It's basic respect and decency towards the bereaved not to be hurtling past. And if coming from the opposite direction I slow down sharply in sympathy. In any event, a few minutes out of the day doesn't harm anyone.

• Advertisement

Depends.

Why didn't you leave early?

If you're on the way to something important, leave plenty of time. Flights, exams, medical appointments, meetings, job interviews.

50 km/h is a reasonable pace. Slow down, take it easy and arrive in a relaxed frame of mind or it could be you in the coffin.

A convoy of cyclists would be slower again and have the same right to be on the road.

Advertisement