Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what method did you use to char it?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

what method did you use to char it?

Traditional way. Three boards tied with wire and fire started inside with just newspapers. See the videos it's all there.
    Link to youtube below first three photos

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Finally got my chisel rack done. Slightly different design to the normal one of a series of holes and slots cut to the holes from the edge of the board. This way, I can get a lot more into a smaller space without coming too far out from the wall, and I don't have the short-grain problem you get between the holes in the normal design.

IMG_1194a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

The headboard of a super king size bed I'm making. Going to trim out the panels with some cove molding and paint it all dark grey. Then I need to find a nice piece of spalted sycamore or beech with a live edge for the top.

IMG_20170515_112638.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Got myself a new band saw the other day, so working on more guitar bodies

417581.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Just finished this walnut headboard for a 6 foot bed. Headboard panel is floating in 20mm housings routed in the legs and top rail. Glued up the panel in three sections and then glued the three sections. still struggle a bit trying to keep the panel sections flush when gluing up...worked out well in the end.

Finished headboard
    420065.jpg

Miter glue up
    420066.jpg

Raw Material
    420067.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

Gryzor wrote: »
    Just finished this walnut headboard for a 6 foot bed. Headboard panel is floating in 20mm housings routed in the legs and top rail. Glued up the panel in three sections and then glued the three sections. still struggle a bit trying to keep the panel sections flush when gluing up...worked out well in the end.

Superb. How did you get it looking so smooth?
    How did you get that finish on it?

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Superb. How did you get it looking so smooth?
    How did you get that finish on it?

Used a planer\thicknesser, and sanded to 120. Finished with 3 coats of a clear satin varnish, sanding lightly with 240 between each coat....

http://www.stochasticgeometry.ie/2017/06/18/off-the-shelf/

Father's day gift (dad's been doing a law course so there's a lot of books scattered on his desk).
    Walnut and oak (after the sapele-and-oak idea fell victim to my discovery that sapele is a bastard to plane without a toothed iron). Some detail carving and some cut nails to go with the whole "ancient legal library" sort of vibe. Garnet shellac on the walnut and lemon shellac on the oak to finish.

IMG_1262a.jpg

IMG_1297a.jpg

IMG_1299a.jpg

IMG_1305a.jpg

IMG_1284a.jpg

Looks the business, well done.

Never heard of a toothed iron before. Have the same woes with sapele. Where did you pick your up from?

• Advertisement

From Dictum : https://www.dictum.com/en/tools/woodworking-metalworking/planes/plane-blades/703160/toothed-blade-for-kunz-fore-plane-no-6

IMG_1238a.jpg

It's a drop-in replacement for any #7, #6, #5 1/2 or #4 1/2 and they also do blades for the #5/#4 and various block planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Very nice, love walnut myself, easy to work with unlike Oak!!
    Gryzor wrote: »

Finished headboard
    420065.jpg

Miter glue up
    420066.jpg

Raw Material
    420067.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

Sparks wrote: »

It's a drop-in replacement for any #7, #6, #5 1/2 or #4 1/2 and they also do blades for the #5/#4 and various block planes.

What's that green club like tool with the wooden No.12 handle beside the blade?

Zebbedee wrote: »
    What's that green club like tool with the wooden No.12 handle beside the blade?

It's a carver's mallet. I have a heavier one with a lignum vitae head, but it's a bit heavy for lighter work, so I got this one. The green is polyurethane, so it's pretty robust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Finished building this bench over the weekend - oiling it up currently!

420956.JPG

420957.JPG

...well, first successful one! Tight curves on the bandsaw take some practice..
    Anyway, well happy with this one...walnut and oak, and flocked inside.

421799.jpg

421800.jpg

Making two of these nightstands out of walnut to match the headboard I posted earlier...well happy with the first one.

422922.jpg

422923.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Nice job that turned out really good

Nice clean lines there Gryzor.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Revved up the chainsaw for a bit.......and made a start on this..

422930.jpg

422931.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Just finished this. Started the 28th of June. A nice learning curve to it. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Just finished this. Started the 28th of June. A nice learning curve to it. Very happy with it.

Very nice. How did you flatten the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

delaney001 wrote: »
    Very nice. How did you flatten the top?

Router with a flattening/planing jig.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Router with a flattening/planing jig.
    That's a handy way off doing it, i done the same with a work bench i made saves a hell of a lot of planing by hand. Oh nice little table looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

I shudder at the thought of trying to hand plane all that end grain - def the way to do it

Spent some time knocking up a jig to sharpen turning chisels so I can finally mess around on the lathe. Jig turned out well, just need to cut a channel and get a few bolts and wing nuts to replace the clamps, but it works well. Turned a little person and tried some spindle work. All that tear out on the spindle, are my chisels not sharp enough or is pine just a bitch to turn?

IMG_20170731_224621.jpg

IMG_20170801_201726.jpg

IMG_20170801_210824.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the growth rings on that pine at the end are very far apart - it's probably ludicrously fast grown and not very dense at all.

It's just a cheap bit of pine from the builders merchants. Think it's was originally a 3 x 7 I got off a site. Is that why it's tearing? I was hoping to practice on pine before butchering any nicer wood!

i had the same experience when i took up turning - i bought wood like that and it was so soft i could tear it with a fingernail.
    you can see the photo above that, the growth rings are probably a quarter as thick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Are you using the right chisels.

Most of the turning there would get a good result from a skew.

But the most difficult chisel to use in such a case. A wide skew of course.

But as has been pointed out, timber choice is not great, last piece looks like

white deal, which is a bitch anyway to get a good finish on.

Try some fresh cut beech, ash, sycamore small logs if you can get some, would make things easy to

sharpen your skills on, excuse the pun.

tim

Advertisement