Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They have come full circle from Haskell & Robshaw era to having one of the best BR in the world.

I'll never understand the grief guys like Robshaw and Haskell get. They were the starting flankers for a Grand Slam and a whitewash of Australia. They also played for England during a less successful period which coincided with their peak but Haskell in particular was a big talent. Him playing outside of England for 4 years didn't help his career either.

He was absolutely of the same style that we see now and probably one the first of the modern breed of flanker in terms of all round ability and size. Extremely strong and mobile with a big engine. His performances in Australia in 2016 were about as good as any back row player in the past several years outplaying Hooper and Pocock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

As Blood & Mud beautifully put it once -
    "Oh look, Haskell completely ****ed something up that required something other than tackling or talking ****e. What a ****ing surprise."

Incomparable to Curry or Underhill

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Buer wrote: »
    I'd say that the English pack overall is far more aggressive than ours. Vunipola wasn't playing this year against us and they still comfortably dominated us in terms of physicality.

There's probably not a huge amount of difference in strength but they're more dynamic and utilise their power and size far more. Curry and Underhill aren't massive guys but they show a level of physicality that we rarely see from our flankers. They dominate top tier opposition with their combination of timing and dynamism. We rarely see an Irish back rower make the gain line hits and carries that these guys do.

They also have guys like Lawes who is 115kg and can slot into the back row without missing a beat bringing extreme mobility and the same levels of aggression.

Ferris is probably as close as we get to that genetic freak scenario but even he didn't have a huge number of momentum shifting moments at test level where he absolutely emptied an opposition player in possession or obliterated a ruck the way we've seen England do to us over the past 18 months.

It's the passivness that's killer, letting England and NZ smash us back, carry after carry. We know we've done best when the team is aggressive in the tackle, let in the biggest games it's been soak, soak, soak. Maddening

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

As Blood & Mud beautifully put it once -
    "Oh look, Haskell completely ****ed something up that required something other than tackling or talking ****e. What a ****ing surprise."

Incomparable to Curry or Underhill

Eloquent and well supported points.

Curry and Underhill are superior players and will have lengthy and successful careers. But you're somewhat doing the two lads a disservice by being so dimissive of them. That is of course you actually meant England having come full circle literally which would mean they're now back at the level they were with Haskell and Robshaw.

England were the dominant side in world rugby in 2016 and Haskell was a key player for them, winning player of the series in the Australia whitewash and starting every 6N game. It was only the second occasion in history when a side won every game in a calendar year.

Guys like Robshaw and Haskell will never be looked upon as greats (nor should they be) but they also get a very raw deal in how they're perceived in people's memories. People struggle to separate a person from their performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Just havng a little day dream here....indulge me!
    2011 RWC QF Ireland 22 v 10 Wales
    Joe Schmidt Ireland head coach
    Kearney; Bowe, BOD, Dorce, Trimble; Murray, Sexton: Best, Ross; DOC, POC (c); Ferris, SOB, Heaslip
    Rep:
    Cronin, Court, Ryan, Wallace, Reddan, ROG, Earls (wing only)

SF Ireland 9 v 8 France
    Final Ireland 8 v 7 NZ Ref: His Holiness

Schmidt lost both his World Cup quarter finals more heavily than Kidney lost his.

I don't think the Ferris, SOB, Heaslip backrow ever really clicked. Wallace was a huge loss. He was a better carrier against set defences than O'Brien was. The backrow that started the big win against England in that year's 6N was 6. O'Brien, 7. Wallace, 8. Heaslip.

With Wallace absent, it might have been better to start an out-and-out openside like Jennings in the qf against Wales. He completely changed the game coming on for the second half against Northampton in the Euro Final earlier that year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Schmidt lost both his World Cup quarter finals more heavily than Kidney lost his.

I don't think the Ferris, SOB, Heaslip backrow ever really clicked. Wallace was a huge loss. He was a better carrier against set defences than O'Brien was. The backrow that started the big win against England in that year's 6N was 6. O'Brien, 7. Wallace, 8. Heaslip.

With Wallace absent, it might have been better to start an out-and-out openside like Jennings in the qf against Wales. He completely changed the game coming on for the second half against Northampton in the Euro Final earlier that year.

I doubt we'll ever have a better back-row quartet than Ferris, Wally, Heaslip and SOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Was never a big fan of Jennings at test level.
    I think Ireland’s biggest problem was that they were brainless. Give it to SOB and take it from there.
    Chop tackle. Try again. Chop tackle. Give it to Ferris. Chop. Pass to ROG. Smash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

aloooof wrote: »
    I doubt we'll ever have a better back-row quartet than Ferris, Wally, Heaslip and SOB.

Still find it mad that they are all practically finished.
    I’m getting old!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

The all-provincial list of injuries getting a bit long. So much for coming back refreshed.

Ulster:
    Henderson
    Addison
    Curtis
    Warwick
    Baloucoune
    Reidy

Leinster:
    James Ryan
    Adam Byrne
    Peter Dooley
    Vakh Abdaladze
    Fergus McFadden
    Conor O’Brien

Munster:
    Joey Carbery
    Mike Haley
    Dan Goggin
    Roman Salanoa
    Tadhg Bierne

Connacht:
    Quin Roux
    Oisín Dowling
    Seán O'Brien
    Peter Robb
    Stephen Fitzgerald

I’m sure I’ve missed some.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I do t know what the situation is with others, but in James Ryan's case it appears that he's well on the way to recovery. Back in training at least.

• Advertisement

So's Beirne, and maybe Dooley? In fairness, those injury lists mid-season wouldn't look out of place. I just thought each province might start back with something closer to the full complement of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Beirne just returned to training.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I assume a few of these guys are out because they couldn’t get required treatment during the summer, rather than picking up recent injuries.

I dunno. That's the case with Henderson, and Addison had surgery earlier in the year. Maybe Abdaladze? But names are being added with every update.

So's Beirne, and maybe Dooley? In fairness, those injury lists mid-season wouldn't look out of place. I just thought each province might start back with something closer to the full complement of players.

It sort of makes sense that injuries are occuring. Murray Kinsella made the point a few weeks ago that players were training diligently, but without the supervision of S&C coaches. They were given schedules, but with no way to oversee what they're doing injuries are more likely to occur. And rugby is a very physical game anyway. Injuries occur in training all the time. Couple that with patchy S&C work during lockdown and you have trouble.

It's the likes of Abdaladze, Addison and Carbery that worry me more. These are guys with chronic injury problems that haven't been caused by lack of oversight.

Yeah, agreed. Curtis as well. He already got pulled from one season for having too many concussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Burkie1203 wrote: »

I know you can't do much to change a solid green jersey but don't think the camo look is great at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Jesus, that is a low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Looks a lot like the Sevens camo style jersey they have.

I like it.

The alternate.... not so much, bit like a training jersey. But sure we will only wear it once

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I kinda like it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Not massively opposed to it but think it might have been better if it was entirely camo, at least at the front. The front on shot on Elvery's website kinda looks like it's a camo apron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Problem for me being of a bigger frame the sizing is all over the shop. Hadn't bought Canterbury in a few years and bout some stuff with a voucher back at the RWC time and where a 3xl is perfectly fine for me in an Adidas Munster jersey the 4xl was skin tight in a Canterbury Ireland one and is therefore lying on a hanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think the lighting they chose for the photos isn't doing it any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

I think the lighting they chose for the photos isn't doing it any favours.

Same happened last year the Jersey looked almost luminous because of the lighting was grand in person

Would it be time to consider selecting a new captain? Sexton has a contract until 2021 so it makes sense to start the transition.

Clegg wrote: »
    Would it be time to consider selecting a new captain? Sexton has a contract until 2021 so it makes sense to start the transition.

< rubs hands together >

When I say consider a new captain I meant just give it to James Ryan now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Does the alternate not have the same problem as the last alternate? IE being almost the same colour as South Africa, the only nation we wear our alternate against?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

errlloyd wrote: »
    Does the alternate not have the same problem as the last alternate? IE being almost the same colour as South Africa, the only nation we wear our alternate against?

Alas, the days of only wearing the alternate when playing SA in Dublin are well and truly gone anyway. They will wear it for some game no matter what.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement