Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I just remember Conway scoring that try against South Africa, and me not understanding why they'd ground it over their own line like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

errlloyd wrote: »
    Does the alternate not have the same problem as the last alternate? IE being almost the same colour as South Africa, the only nation we wear our alternate against?

We won't be playing SA in Dublin the next 12 months, so it doesn't matter. We'll have a different away jersey before we do. This will be worn in one of the Autumn tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

We won't be playing SA in Dublin the next 12 months, so it doesn't matter. We'll have a different away jersey before we do. This will be worn in one of the Autumn tests.

Or maybe worn as a warm up jersey like the white/shaded green world cup was one was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Clegg wrote: »
    When I say consider a new captain I meant just give it to James Ryan now.

CJ would be my pick, although I'd also have no problem with Ryan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Am I right in saying Sexton was given it just for this season initially? Have a vague memory of that at the time. Wonder how that'll work out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

aloooof wrote: »
    Am I right in saying Sexton was given it just for this season initially? Have a vague memory of that at the time. Wonder how that'll work out now.

Yeah he mentioned in an interview that it was "a one campaign thing"

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It looks worse when you see it without filters. WTF is with the black bits.

118149891_3323973194327251_7118924416412194289_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=AuzH5ZhE9s4AX8QSPsJ&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=ca8428a78317ada15e13dd571726d63b&oe=5F626545

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

aloooof wrote: »

Yes it was just till the end of the Aus tour, so I think it would be a bit bad to pull off him now. Maybe give for 1 season with X as back up for him.

I'd have no issue with CJ, he's done a huge amount for Irish rugby and has always been incredibly committed. He's earned honorary Irishman status many times over at this stage.

But I think the IRFU would struggle with the choice. It would draw a lot of criticism from idiot commentators and the noise is something Irish rugby will want to avoid. Not right or fair but will be a consideration I suspect, albeit the players are likely to have more of a say than a subsection of the public.

As for Ryan - he's a nailed on starter, but I don't know if he's a leader within the group to the degree that he'd be nominated captain by the players and ultimately - the choice of captain will be strongly influenced by senior players.

awec wrote: »

118149891_3323973194327251_7118924416412194289_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=AuzH5ZhE9s4AX8QSPsJ&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=ca8428a78317ada15e13dd571726d63b&oe=5F626545

Like the leinster jersey, I'm just not a fan of the middle texture part

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

They represent strength, power and unity.

OBVIOUSLY

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

It's like when a roller is running low on paint!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Don't know why they insisted on changing it, thought the WC one was grand

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Don't know why they insisted on changing it, thought the WC one was grand

€€€

I'll happily keep my polos in which were new only a year ago

Part and parcel of sports today with near gear out every few months. The prices are horrendous tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Turning down those 3 points in Saracens for a LBP must be a mark against him though. We’ve been blessed with some excellent captains over the past 20 years. No clear cut candidate this time around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd have no issue with CJ, he's done a huge amount for Irish rugby and has always been incredibly committed. He's earned honorary Irishman status many times over at this stage.

But I think the IRFU would struggle with the choice. It would draw a lot of criticism from idiot commentators and the noise is something Irish rugby will want to avoid. Not right or fair but will be a consideration I suspect, albeit the players are likely to have more of a say than a subsection of the public.

As for Ryan - he's a nailed on starter, but I don't know if he's a leader within the group to the degree that he'd be nominated captain by the players and ultimately - the choice of captain will be strongly influenced by senior players.

It's going to be very hard for them to really identify a captain right at this point in time which is why I think they'll be fairly comfortable to leave it with Sexton for another season (as long as he remains the best option at 10).

Ryan is widely believed to be captain in waiting but I just don't see him as being ready right now. He's definitely coming into his own and developed more since he first came on the scene but I think another season would be of benefit to him.

Outside Sexton and Ryan, Henderson is the most likely option. The leadership group during the 6N was Sexton, POM, Henderson, Ringrose, Furlong and Ryan. I don't see Furlong or Ringrose as being captain material/options. CJ Stander was actually removed from the leadership group, oddly enough. I don't see that as a great indication for any captaincy claims and the fact that he is not a bona fide Irish person won't be in his favour either. POM was long thought to be captain in waiting but having lost his starting spot and also been overlooked for the job during the RWC in favour of Sexton, I think that ship may have sailed.

Henderson is probably in with a strong shout. Good age profile, pretty assured of his spot in the team (although that could change if he's out of the team for October/November) and captains his province. It will probably be a straight call between him and Ryan for the job. If they were to make the call this season, I'd say Henderson. If Sexton remains in place until 2021/22, then I expect Ryan to get the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Buer wrote: »
    It's going to be very hard for them to really identify a captain right at this point in time which is why I think they'll be fairly comfortable to leave it with Sexton for another season (as long as he remains the best option at 10).

Ryan is widely believed to be captain in waiting but I just don't see him as being ready right now. He's definitely coming into his own and developed more since he first came on the scene but I think another season would be of benefit to him.

Outside Sexton and Ryan, Henderson is the most likely option. The leadership group during the 6N was Sexton, POM, Henderson, Ringrose, Furlong and Ryan. I don't see Furlong or Ringrose as being captain material/options. CJ Stander was actually removed from the leadership group, oddly enough. I don't see that as a great indication for any captaincy claims and the fact that he is not a bona fide Irish person won't be in his favour either. POM was long thought to be captain in waiting but having lost his starting spot and also been overlooked for the job during the RWC in favour of Sexton, I think that ship may have sailed.

Henderson is probably in with a strong shout. Good age profile, pretty assured of his spot in the team (although that could change if he's out of the team for October/November) and captains his province. It will probably be a straight call between him and Ryan for the job. If they were to make the call this season, I'd say Henderson. If Sexton remains in place until 2021/22, then I expect Ryan to get the gig.

I'd be surprised if Henderson was chosen. He's too inconsistent in his performances for me, and doesn't impose himself physically enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Buer wrote: »

No way could it be Henderson. Inconsistency aside, he's not a natural leader. You want someone to lead from the front with a somewhat confrontational personality. POM would be perfect, but obviously not a guaranteed starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

At the end of the day, isn't it voted for by the team? That's certainly how Rory got (and retained) the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Sexton for another year and then Ryan seems the obvious way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Henderson wouldn't be my choice for Ireland captain but talk of a lack of physicality and not being a natural leader is very wrong IMO.

Also an in your face physical captain was great in the good old days, but nowadays you need someone who can inspire his teammates by his actions on the pitch, handle the pressure off the pitch, deal with referees and see things methodically on the pitch and be able to make good decisions in the heat of battle.

I suspect Ryan ticks all those boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

No way could it be Henderson. Inconsistency aside, he's not a natural leader. You want someone to lead from the front with a somewhat confrontational personality. POM would be perfect, but obviously not a guaranteed starter.

It's unlikely to be him but the options are genuinely very thin on the ground. Park your personal opinions about him and consider that he is captain of his province already and in the Irish leadership group (one of only six players). That automatically puts him as one of the most likely options.

Not sure how you think he doesn't lead from the front and I'd consider having a confrontational personality to be as much a hindrance as a help for a captain. Best certainly wasn't that sort of captain.

The most likely scenario is Sexton for one more year and then Ryan. I've long been of the opinion that Doris is going to captain the side at some point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The Italy game is 6 or 7 weeks away and Andy Farrell surely has a lot to consider selection wise.

Front row - Healy Kelleher Furlong/Porter
    None of the hookers have really stood out but I'd like to see Kelleher get the nod with an eye to the future.

2nd row - Toner Ryan
    Henderson would appear to be out until November. Ryan is due back and goes back into the team

Back row - Doris Stander Conan
    It's Italy, so experiment a little. Get three ball carriers on the pitch who all offer something different

Half back - Marmion Byrne
    Cooney has gone off the boil, Murray and McGrath have been poor, Maybe JGP?

Centre - Aki, Ringrose

Back 3 - Larmour, Earls and Conway

Bench
    Kilcoyne*, Herring, Furlong/Porter**, Baird, Connors/VDF, Murray, Sexton***, Henshaw

* Ed Byrne might get a shot if Kilcoyne is out
    ** John Ryan next in line
    *** off the back of European rounds Sexton might get a week off so Madigan might find himself back in green

Furlong Injury is a bit of an unknown and Leavy probably needs a few months at Leinster before stepping up to International rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Carty and Burns I would say are both ahead of Madigan and I'm not sure Byrne is clearly ahead of either. All 3 did well in the interpro series.

Bealham had another very solid showing and is possibly in the mix with Ryan.

Dillane was very impressive and I think deserves to be close to the 23, but his penalty count might go against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bazzo wrote: »
    Carty and Burns I would say are both ahead of Madigan and I'm not sure Byrne is clearly ahead of either. All 3 did well in the interpro series.

Bealham had another very solid showing and is possibly in the mix with Ryan.

Dillane was very impressive and I think deserves to be close to the 23, but his penalty count might go against him.

Bealham is a good shout actually.

As its Italy i would like us to throw a few newcomers in hence Kelleher, Baird.

Carty Burns Madigan involvement all depends on how much Sexton plays in October. If Sexton plays in the weeks before i can see him sitting this one out. When does the 20/21 European season get underway?

I expect Carty heffernan Dillane will get gametime in the Autumn internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Bealham is a good shout actually.

As its Italy i would like us to throw a few newcomers in hence Kelleher, Baird.

Did Baird do the calling for Leinster? Also Kelleher throwing to Baird...sounds a bit suspect to me. Maybe with another caller like Beirne at 6, there might be a place for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Watching the north vs South Island match yesterday I’d love to see something similar in Ireland. Leinster/Ulster vs Munster/Connacht would be exciting.

Leinster/Ulster could look like:

Healy
    Kelleher
    Furlong
    Henderson
    Ryan
    Doris
    Vdf
    Conan
    Cooney
    Sexton
    Lowe
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Stockdale

Herring
    O Sullivan
    Porter
    Baird
    Jordi murphy
    Mcgrath
    Burns
    Addison

Munster/Connacht
    Kilcoyne
    Scannell
    Bealham
    Thornbury
    Kleyn
    Beirne
    Butler
    Stander
    Marmion
    Carty
    Earls
    Bundee
    Chris Farrell
    Conway
    Carbery

Heffernan
    Buckley
    Ryan
    Dillane
    Boyle
    Murray
    Tom Farrell
    Shane Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

What a bizzare way to seperate the teams the two largest populations against the two smallest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Wegians89

nerd69 wrote: »
    What a bizzare way to seperate the teams the two largest populations against the two smallest

The first rugby match in the Aviva was an under 20 match of the provinces combined in that manner, it’s also how the conferences are separated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wegians89 wrote: »
    The first rugby match in the Aviva was an under 20 match of the provinces combined in that manner, it’s also how the conferences are separated

The result of that was also 68-0...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement