Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin TV360

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hi I'm currently getting a unit built for the TV, unfortunately it is a distance away from the Virgin Media box and I need to get an extension cable from the VM wall box to the 360 set top box and the cable isn't long enough. Does any one know the specs of this cable so I can source a longer one or it it a propriety VM one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It's just a standard coax satellite cable. I got the connection parts and cable from tvtrade, it works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Anyone else's Program Guide gotten really slow lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Delta2113

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Any sign of VM carrying BBC3 again - now that it's back as a broadcast channel and apparently available on Freeview, Sky and Virgin Media in the UK?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl95

https://twitter.com/bbcthree/status/1488895637139689475

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I just got VM 360 tv (I have been broadband only for years). I connected up using a splitter in the attic and using an existing cable that was installed a few years ago from attic to the tv room downstairs.

Problem is only some of the channells are working, for a lot of the channells I get a message saying 'check your cables, etc'. A few of the channells work and then throw up the error and then display again, repeats every 10 or 20 seconds. Other channells are working fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this? i thought if it was a dodgy cable or connections then I would not get any signal, all or nothing, but I seem to have a few channells?

Thanks

Assuming you're using F type screw connectors check the central solid copper cable is a nice snug fit in the female part also check the outer hairy bit is nice and neat in the threaded outer part. Is the length of coax coming from the attic one single run and of good quality especially the central copper core? Some of those cables can be shockingly poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Just to close out on this in case anyone else has a similar problem in the future. I replaced all the connectors, signal improved but still had problems with not getting all channels and sometimes losing signal. I ended up having to replace the cable itself, it looks like there was a break somewhere in it but I could not find it. Anyhow, all good now that cable has been replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Virgin sent out an email today hinting that Virgin 100 is rebranding as Virgin More, some kind of catch up channel or first run previews. I’m hoping it’s a UHD channel for select shows. The email directs you to https://www.virginmedia.ie/more/ to learn “more”.

Starting early April. Sounds like they will just 'fast track' stuff on this channel and then it will eventually be shown on Virgin Media One or whatever. e.g. Trigger Point, Holding etc.

Not sure how the Sport will work out. If anything they need to strengthen the sports channel (s) not dilute them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭butwhynot

The Virgin Media More website as been updated with more information https://www.virginmedia.ie/more/

Also VM Sport Extra 1 & 2 HD have been renamed VM Extra 1 & 2 (no HD) and moved to the end of the EPG. I presume they are still in HD?

Has this also happened on Horizon and D4A boxes?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’d take those VM Sport name changes as a good indication that VM Sport isn’t long for this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

I wouldn’t be surprised if Virgin Media Sport disappears as Virgin Media More arrives. I’ve also noticed that not every programme on the Virgin Media channels is available via Replay TV anymore. Tipping Point, Judge Judy, Who Want’s to be a Millionare?, The Pact and films are no longer available to watch via Replay TV.

Post edited by AJB39 on

VM Sport lost its raison d’etre the minute the Champions League contract was up tbh, I’m surprised it hung on this long afterwards.

Virgin Media Sport Possibly closing 2AM April 9 2022 but then off course the EPG might be wrong.

I just spotted that on EPG too, but as you said it might be that the EPG data hasn't updated yet on VM boxes

In the past has VM Sport always had 7/8 day listings on the EPG?

7/8 day listings - I think so not sure mackersdublin.

Virgin Media More listings are now on the TV Guide, but on 116 and 400 from next Tuesday (12th)

@butwhynot The VM Extra channels are stil HD on 850 and 851

• Advertisement

My next best guess is closing 1AM April 12 2022 because yes you guessed it EPG was wrong. Another guess channel will still be called Virgin Media Sport during the day and Virgin Media More at night - all this messing damages the brand if you ask me.

Most LIVE Sport will be at night and on Virgin Media More and not on Virgin media Sport.

As of 17:00 on Tuesday April 12th, this is the current lineup. Bold text is the channel number and name per the EPG.

100 More Endless trailers for upcoming programs. First program listed in the EPG is tomorrow (Wed. 13th) at 12:30 p.m. Heavy on sports for the afternoon, then general content in the evening. Shuts down at 3 a.m.

116 VM Sports has a new home. Screen has a banner 'You can continue to enjoy the sports that featured here plus more on MORE, channel 100'

400 VM Sports has a new home. Same screen content as 116 above.

850 This is Virgin Media Extra 1 Animated VM logo.

851 This is Virgin Media Extra 2 Animated VM logo.

But after all that juggling, Liverpool v. Benfica is on VM2 (105) on Wednesday 🤔

Once again, more "attention to detail" lacking from Virgin Media

The channel was called Virgin Media Sport

Bizarre. Since 5 p.m. (see my post above), they've decided to start programs on 'More' at 9.p.m. tonight (Tue 12th).

It would be, it’s a free to air rights package they have, so they still have to air it on VM1/2/3.

Programmes were always scheduled to start at 9pm with Holding, it was well flagged in advanced publicity and the published schedule and not something they decided at teatime today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

It probably wont happen but with VM Sport kinda going away, it'd be nice if they finally got the BT Sport channels on Virgin. I'm tired of using NOW for it

No ads for the moment on Virgin media More but they couldn't resist having a D.O.G. If you have the 360 box just use On Demand and watch whatever you want that way with no D.O.G.. Some show's are up a few hours ahead off screening on the channel.

Hopefully we get BBC3 on 116 soon.

Regarding getting BBC Three back, it's stil not on any Irish platform yet

I can't see BBC Three being on 116 on 360 boxes, it might return to that number on the older boxes

On the 360 box, the Sky HD channels are lumped together from 114-120 with the exception of Sky Replay which is SD only

BBC Four is up at 150 for some reason, where the rest of the SD channels are placed

W on 720 makes zero sense ( I know you can personalise channels the way you want).

• Advertisement

There's plenty about the VM 360 EPG that makes zero sense to me

W (as you said) and Sky Crime in the 700's when there's no HD version in the 100's

Gaps between 120 to 127 and then a huge gap from 129 to 150

Loads of channels have old Logos and Titles. 862 - PPV HD (Sky Sports Box Office) - is only in SD, not HD

There's absolutely no need for SD versions of Sky News, Sky Sports News, Sky Sports Mix, Sky History, National Geographic and Nat Geo Wild. They are SD duplicates (exact same adverts)

The UK VM EPG has removed all SD versions when there's a HD version available on their 360 boxes

There's only 9 +1 channels, seems pointless to me putting them in the 500's

Channel + / Channel - doesn't skip unsubscribed channels, which the old UPC branded boxes did. A big plus for me over Sky boxes

No EPG data on Radio channels or physical EPG numbers

Only 26 HD channels on Basic Pack, and a further 7 on the Higher Pack. A significant less amount compared to Sky

Rant over

Don't get me started on the Lip Sync issues on numerous TV channels

And to finish on a positive note, the Pros of the 360 Box are; HD channels without a HD subscription, HD channels being the primary EPG number, Replay TV and very fast channel switching

Advertisement