Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else able to divine for water

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would look into this?
    To do so would be scientific suicide.

Scientists investigate unpopular topics all the time. The only way to commit scientific suicide is to make a claim without backing it up, or worse, to falsify data. Supporting an unpopular claim with good new evidence isn't suicide, it's a ticket to extra grants, high impact publications and possibly awards. Everyone wants to be the revolutionary scientist, the disruptor. Incremental findings that fill in the details of previous findings, supporting the status quo- that's noble work, but unlikely to send your scientific career skywards.

So, putting motive aside for a moment, there's the awkward matter that scientists have investigated this, whatever their reasons were. They've don so lots of times. They just haven't produced any results that dowsers want to accept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Scientists investigate unpopular topics all the time. The only way to commit scientific suicide is to make a claim without backing it up, or worse, to falsify data. Supporting an unpopular claim with good new evidence isn't suicide, it's a ticket to extra grants, high impact publications and possibly awards. Everyone wants to be the revolutionary scientist, the disruptor. Incremental findings that fill in the details of previous findings, supporting the status quo- that's noble work, but unlikely to send your scientific career skywards.

So, putting motive aside for a moment, there's the awkward matter that scientists have investigated this, whatever their reasons were. They've don so lots of times. They just haven't produced any results that dowsers want to accept.

I'm not a dowser. But if you say is true.
    I accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I guess we should just take your completely unverifiable word for it so? 50% of your test subject didn't find anything and 50% were 10% away, sounds like pure chance tbh.

You have a perfect opportunity to record what you found but didn't, i can only assume that is because you are exaggerating your positive results.

No, it's because my test subjects were here for a completely different reason which took priority over trying to demonstrate something to someone (several someones) who are determined to reject any suggestion that their cock-eyed interpretation of an insufficiently explained phenomenon might be even more ludicrous than the notion that some people can reliably find channels of electrical and water current.
    I guess we should just take your completely unverifiable word for it so?

It's verifiable - why don't you come over and take part in a future test? And we'll make sure we video it. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

No, it's because my test subjects were here for a completely different reason which took priority over trying to demonstrate something to someone (several someones) who are determined to reject any suggestion that their cock-eyed interpretation of an insufficiently explained phenomenon might be even more ludicrous than the notion that some people can reliably find channels of electrical and water current.

It's verifiable - why don't you come over and take part in a future test? And we'll make sure we video it. :p
    No offense, but i don;t believe a word you are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

_Brian wrote: »
    I was curious too and googled the electricity from pipes in Canada.
    They are installing in-line hydroelectricity generators in the pipe network.

http://www.hydroworld.com/articles/2014/11/halifax-water-generates-power-from-a-32-kw-in-pipe-small-hydroelectric-system.html

No snake oil there.

Sure how could that work? Surely the main had to be pressurised with a pump or similar to begin with and then they're just taking the energy out of the fluid? If it was sufficiently pressurised coming out of the ground then yeah there'd be something in it. What pressure is water out of a well normally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sure how could that work? Surely the main had to be pressurised with a pump or similar to begin with and then they're just taking the energy out of the fluid? If it was sufficiently pressurised coming out of the ground then yeah there'd be something in it. What pressure is water out of a well normally?

Dunno, just skimmed through it while waiting on a client.
    Seems they vent excess water to relieve pressure on the system, this is now passed though a hydro system to recover the wasted energy as electricity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Found out today I can divine, but I only have it in my right hand. I could find the run of a water pipe in a big lawn.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Found out today I can divine, but I only have it in my right hand. I could find the run of a water pipe in a big lawn.

What did you use?

What did you use?

2 welding rods, bent at 90 degs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Try two bits of light electric fencing wire, cut the same length and bent in the same place and see if it's any difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

that's because you knew/think it was there, that's how 'divining' works

Nobelium wrote: »

I didn't know where it was. That's the whole point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭alps

It absolutely, definitely, without any doubt in the world...works...

For some....

But savage handy to be able to do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Go get a whiththorn slip In a y shape

• Advertisement

alps wrote:

Great money out of it

Twill wreck yer arms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The father could divine for water and was often in demand by neighbours. Never tried it myself tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Welcome to the wonderfull world of dowsing. Been doing it for many years now after being taught it by an old fella. Real handy for locating water pipes/underground streams or electric cables. Don't really know how it works - i suppose it must be some sort of extra sensory function that hasn't yet been identified by Science.
    A.Einstien, a keen dowser,once said - "I know very well that many scientists consider dowsing as a type of ancient superstition. According to my conviction, this is however unjustified. The dowsing rod is a single instrument which shows the reaction of the human nervous system to certain factors which are unknown to us at this time."

https://youtu.be/_VAasVXtCOI

I’m not a spiritual person, I need to see some evidence for something other than anecdotal evidence.

There is essentially zero scientific evidence for this. We can detect energy and signals way way below he tolerances that can be detected by the human body and still nothing that supports this practice.

• Advertisement

If a person can walk into the site of a house and locate the run of the water pipe without knowing where it is in advance, then that's proof enough for me. My brother did that for a neighbour and he dug down and found the pipes exactly where he said they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

So can you explain how it shows you the exact spot? For instance you have a water pipe and esb cable running across your garden and you know they are there but not exactly where but you can locate the exact spot with the rods.

alps wrote: »
    It absolutely, definitely, without any doubt in the world...works...

For some....

It works for 4 out of 5 people it’s actually more unusual to find someone that can’t do it.

lab man wrote: »
    Go get a whiththorn slip In a y shape

But you’ll have to be careful that you don’t get a slap in the face from it

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Starchasers

I work for ESB Networks and I divine myself. I’d normally divine with two copper rods and confirm it with the cat& genny if I’m not uncovering it myself. What I can do the last few year is to make up your mind in advance is it a water pipe etc you want to find, it will ignore all electricity pipes. I’ve even found an underground aluminum service of two aluminum conductor ms while ignoring the water pipes and the cables containing copper. I don’t know how it works, I just know that it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

When will people realise you will find water while drilling regardless of location or these experts marking the spot. Do these experts take into account that a drilling rig don't drill straight down?
    This thread is pure high stool stuff, carry on.

A number of years ago I got two separate men to divine for water as I live in an area not blessed with springs.

Both identified the same spot where I was told there was a good spring.
    Both told me that a good strong would be found at 8 ft deep.
    Each man also identified two other places where water would be found.
    I hired a digger on tracks and he dug to 8 ft. At that depth there was little tinkle of water. We dug to 20 ft. deep.
    The hole was left open all night as were two other holes.
    All the holes were as dry as our kitchen floor in the morning.

I work for ESB Networks and I divine myself. I’d normally divine with two copper rods and confirm it with the cat& genny if I’m not uncovering it myself. What I can do the last few year is to make up your mind in advance is it a water pipe etc you want to find, it will ignore all electricity pipes. I’ve even found an underground aluminum service of two aluminum conductor ms while ignoring the water pipes and the cables containing copper. I don’t know how it works, I just know that it does!

Its all about focusing on the target and the clarity of your questiong. For instance - if you were dowsing for a well it would be pointless 'looking' for just water, because there is wet/dampness everywhere beneath the surface BUT looking for a potable water source that can provide a flow rate suitable for its intended usage etc will yield more accurate results. Once the position of the target has been established, the depth at which it lies beneath the surface can also be determined by various methods such as the Bishops Rule.

Go on.
    Explain the Bishops rule for the skeptics here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

wayoutwest wrote: »
    Welcome to the wonderfull world of dowsing. Been doing it for many years now after being taught it by an old fella. Real handy for locating water pipes/underground streams or electric cables."

There are two very separate issues here - the location of water pipes and the location of groundwater.

The location of pipes may have some scientific basis to it, moreso through ideomotor effects rather than electromagnetics or similar.

Localised underground 'streams' aren't really a thing though - just an outdated term used by those straining to apply overground features to what they can't see. If the prevailing geology and topography is favourable for shallow groundwater production, groundwater is typically both close to stagnant, and widespread. If a dowser finds shallow groundwater on one location, it's very very likely to be found all over the same field - allowing for topography obviously.

There's probably a mixture of chancers and genuine practitioners out there - much like the rest of the country!

_Brian wrote: »
    Go on.
    Explain the Bishops rule for the skeptics here.

What would be the point of explaining the finer details of a process that you believe doesn't exist and think is pure nonsense? Google - Bishops Rule dowsing- IF you are interested.

• Advertisement

wayoutwest wrote: »
    What would be the point of explaining the finer details of a process that you believe doesn't exist and think is pure nonsense? Google - Bishops Rule dowsing- IF you are interested.

Ahh yes, straight from bluffers and blaggers 101 training.
    When someone asks questions get narky and say you wouldn’t beleive anyway. 🙄

At least you didn’t say “you wouldn’t understand” or “god”, they’re other gems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes with coathanger wire. Way back and taught by a well known water diviner. Not tried it since as no need... maybe later. It was a weird experience when the wires started moving. Like nothing else.

Graces7 wrote: »
    ... taught by a well known water diviner. Not tried it since as no need... maybe later.

Out of interest, what was the diviner's method of teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Attie Ross

I got an aged man to devine for a spring in a wet spot where he found a few so I drained it, didn't cure it but helped a lot. So he asked me to try see if I could do it which I could only thing was I had to put on his leather boots to make better contact with the land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Have two relatives built next to each other and each drilled their own well as per planning, at the same time, same driller. One got a good water source at 80ft the other 60ft away was at 250ft.

sorry to derail thread lads has anyone the cure ive a pig with an awful dose of shingles

ive the stale bread and holy water here on hand just need a man with the cure thanks

Water John wrote: »
    Have two relatives built next to each other and each drilled their own well as per planning, at the same time, same driller. One got a good water source at 80ft the other 60ft away was at 250ft.

Probably had to go to bedrock to find a productive fracture

sorry to derail thread lads has anyone the cure ive a pig with an awful dose of shingles

ive the stale bread and holy water here on hand just need a man with the cure thanks
    You should eat the pigs sh1te 3 times a day and spin the pig every evening in a clockwise direction twice.
    Now that I've wrote it down, not sure if it's clockwise or anti-clockwise . Sure, try both.

Advertisement