Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else able to divine for water

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Zillah wrote: »
    It's called the ideomotor effect. It's the same phenomenon that makes ouija boards work. Your muscles make small little movements that you have no conscious control over. I bet if we blindfolded you and spun you around and had you walk around so that you had no idea where 'the spot' was they wouldn't cross at the right time.

I'll put that to the test next week when I have extra help! :cool:

But explain to me how my "ideomotor" muscles worked when I started out as a sceptic and had no idea where in the half-acre field the pipe was?

And how come they only work in pairs when I'm doing a controlled experiment to see whether or not they work in partnership or independently of each other? Are you suggesting my belief in classical scientific principles is flawed? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I wasn't there so I can't offer an informed opinion on what happened, but I can make a few suggestions.

1 - The pipe location: you got lucky. People get lucky all the time. We always hear about the lucky ones because people don't go around talking about the time they didn't find a pipe with dowsing rods, for the same reason they don't go around talking about when a psychic made a prediction that never worked out.
    2 - Sceptic: I don't think you are a sceptic, just a person who hadn't been convinced of that particular thing yet. Scepticism is a mindset, following a collection of principles - one which you don't seem to understand very well.
    3 - Two rods: confirmation bias. You were told that it only worked with two so your brain made it so.
    4 - Science: that wasn't an experiment, and the fact that you think it was shows that you don't really get how science works, which relates to #2 above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Surely it doesn't matter if it's the ideomotor muscles or the hazel/metal rods magically leaping of their own accord — the effect might be caused by your body in response to the water flow, through some instinctive response?

There's no such thing as ideomotor muscles. It is the ideomotor effect, which works through the muscles. It is an effect whereby the brain will make the muscles move unconsciously to fit a movement that they are expecting to make.

Like when people do a ouija board: there is no ghost involved, their own hands are moving it without them realising.

The rods aren't crossing to the presence of water, that has been demonstrated. They are crossing randomly, or when the user expects them to cross. We only hear about the lucky ones. Just like with psychic predictions.

1 - The pipe location: you got lucky. People get lucky all the time. We always hear about the lucky ones because people don't go around talking about the time they didn't find a pipe with dowsing rods, for the same reason they don't go around talking about when a psychic made a prediction that never worked out.

Hmm. So the rods swinging consistently at one point and at no other, repeated several times to confirm that it wasn't just luck was in fact just luck. OK, sounds reasonable.

That probably explains why they only swing through 90° in one precise point on the lane too, and then swing back to 0° a step forwards or backwards. I never realised I was so lucky! Why doesn't it work with scratch cards? :(
    3 - Two rods: confirmation bias. You were told that it only worked with two so your brain made it so.

Who told me? I thought it was a experiment all of my own making. There I was thinking (as a scientist) that it would be interesting to see if the rods swung sideways at the same point if there was only one involved. So someone's whispering in my ear and I don't know it? :eek:

4 - Science: that wasn't an experiment, and the fact that you think it was shows that you don't really get how science works, which relates to #2 above.

Feck. I've wasted five years of university education and twenty-five years of my professional life thinking I knew about science. :pac: Are there any on-line courses I can take to correct my misunderstanding (and do you think my professional colleagues will recognise them?)

• Advertisement

Hmm. So the rods swinging consistently at one point and at no other, repeated several times to confirm that it wasn't just luck was in fact just luck. OK, sounds reasonable.

That probably explains why they only swing through 90° in one precise point on the lane too, and then swing back to 0° a step forwards or backwards. I never realised I was so lucky! Why doesn't it work with scratch cards? :(

Again, I wasn't there so there's not much I can say. However, I would suggest the first was luck, and after that it was confirmation bias.
    Who told me? I thought it was a experiment all of my own making. There I was thinking (as a scientist) that it would be interesting to see if the rods swung sideways at the same point if there was only one involved. So someone's whispering in my ear and I don't know it? :eek:

I might have mixed you up with a previous pro-dowsing poster who said they had someone take them out and show them. (Edit: although I am sure you had heard about dowsing before, and that it required two rods, rather than coming up with the concept entirely on your own)
    Feck. I've wasted five years of university education and twenty-five years of my professional life thinking I knew about science. :pac: Are there any on-line courses I can take to correct my misunderstanding (and do you think my professional colleagues will recognise them?)

Did you know that polls have shown that a shockingly high number of science graduates don't understand the philosophy of science? Being a scientist doesn't mean you're a good scientist.

But let's work through this then. What was your hypothesis? What is the proposed mechanism of action? Did you document the experiment? Did you perform multiple trials? Was there a blind or double blind element? Have you formed a cohesive theory that explains the phenomenon? Did you make the slightest effort to compensate for possible bias? Was the experimenter and the subject in fact the same person?

You think you can engage in one act of flawed, anecdotal, credulous floundering and call it science because you did a related degree, but that's just an argument from authority. Your profound inability to actual behave in a scientific manner renders your background completely meaningless. You think one lad waving some rods in a field counts as science. It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Jaysus you're getting a bit excited there. I can't think of any credible explanation for it but sure if it works for some lads and they're happy using it then what harm?

But let's work through this then. What was your hypothesis? What is the proposed mechanism of action? Did you document the experiment? Did you perform multiple trials? Was there a blind or double blind element? Have you formed a cohesive theory that explains the phenomenon? Did you make the slightest effort to compensate for possible bias? Was the experimenter and the subject in fact the same person?

As I mentioned above, the initial "trial" was conducted by four scientists, only one of whom knew the actual location of the test object. Of the three of us who tried to find it, I was the only one who succeeded, and yes we performed multiple trials at the time and have done since.

No, we didn't document our results (we do enough of that every day, this was just for fun) but in response to your earlier criticisms, I've already indicated that I'll run another trial next week when I've got some naïve subjects ... and someone to video the proceedings.

I don't know what your background is, but surely you know that some of the most useful scientific discoveries came from unplanned "experiments" where no-one had proposed any hypothesis or mechanism of action. I didn't stop the findings being confirmed by subsequent trials, even in the absence of a properly described mechanism.

FWIW, I am constructing a trial to attempt to understand what the rods swing (every time) when crossing each of four lines of fruit trees I have planted in my orchard. The working hypothesis is that the strimmed ground between them is less compacted than the grasses alleys that get mowed regularly. :P

But hey, it might just be luck and confirmation bias ... :cool:

FWIW 2: I don't believe in homeopathy, but I do believe in acupuncture. I have no scientific understanding of how it works, but I've seen enough cases respond to my treatments when my colleagues' thoroughly hypothesised and proven strategies have failed not to worry too much about knowing everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

According to Wikipedia, Uri Geller is a notable dowser....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing

Not your ornery onager

As I mentioned above, the initial "trial" was conducted by four scientists, only one of whom knew the actual location of the test object. Of the three of us who tried to find it, I was the only one who succeeded, and yes we performed multiple trials at the time and have done since.

Wait, so out of three initial attempts only one was successful? That doesn't seem like an unlikely outcome for random guessing for something as small as a half acre (that's what you said, wasn't it?). You also had a person with you who knew the location of the water - that removes the double blind element, he could easily have been influencing you. (Unless you were the one who knew? I'm still not entirely clear, but the point is the same)

(As an aside: I once read about a horse that was smart enough to do arithmetic. It would tap its hooves to signal the number when presented with a problem to solve. It was incredibly consistent, but it wasn't until it was separated from its owner that it failed every test. It turned out the owner was unconsciously moving his head in anticipation and accidentally giving the horse a signal that it was time to stop tapping. Still shows a high level of intelligence on the horse's part but of a very different kind. We can accidentally send each other all kinds of signals, that's why double-blind trials are so important)
    No, we didn't document our results (we do enough of that every day, this was just for fun) but in response to your earlier criticisms, I've already indicated that I'll run another trial next week when I've got some naïve subjects ... and someone to video the proceedings.

Good. That should be more interesting. I would suggest you explain the process to them and then leave so that there is no one present that could influence them, however unconsciously.
    I don't know what your background is, but surely you know that some of the most useful scientific discoveries came from unplanned "experiments" where no-one had proposed any hypothesis or mechanism of action. I didn't stop the findings being confirmed by subsequent trials, even in the absence of a properly described mechanism.

Absolutely! But when there is an odd phenomenon the correct response is "Huh" not "We have a magical ability to sense the presence of water, dowsing is real". Finding the "huh" moment is step 1 of a very long process, but you've jumped right to the end. There are innumerable possible explanations - most of which rely on very well understood psychological phenomena. They have to be explored and accounted for before a scientist should even begin to consider the existence of strange and mystical powers at work.

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia, Uri Geller is a notable dowser....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing

Speaking of science, our own CelticRambler isn't the first to look into this, obviously:
    A 1990 double-blind study[36][37][38] was undertaken in Kassel, Germany, under the direction of the Gesellschaft zur Wissenschaftlichen Untersuchung von Parawissenschaften (Society for the Scientific Investigation of the Parasciences). James Randi offered a US$10,000 prize to any successful dowser. The three-day test of some 30 dowsers involved plastic pipes through which water flow could be controlled and directed. The pipes were buried 50 centimeters (19.7 in) under a level field, the position of each marked on the surface with a colored strip. The dowsers had to tell whether water was running through each pipe. All the dowsers signed a statement agreeing this was a fair test of their abilities and that they expected a 100 percent success rate. However, the results were no better than chance, thus no one was awarded the prize.

Sounds pretty thorough to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    It must be down to electro magnetism.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field

You take why does it work with metal rods/ wire. It must be to do with the conductivity of metal. The same could be said for hazel rods (in that the water in the hazel rod conducts charge/electricity).

You take when divining with wire. There must be a slight electrical/magnetic pull on the wire maybe making one negative charge and the other positive charge to make them pull in together. Then to make the two wires to repel one another the two of them must have the same charge positive or negative.

It might also explain how it can find electric cables. Not sure if the cables have to be live to find them but the metal in itself would give a magnetic draw anyway.

Then with finding water pipes. Water is a good conducter of charge/electricity.
    But it might give off more charge when running hitting the sides of the pipe and building up more charge.

Then with some people able to do and others not. There is a difference in bodies in people.
    My uncle can grab any electric fence and join it together again without turning it off and it has no effect on him. He just says he'd barely feel the current in the fence. He was out in nz and a farmer was showing him a great new fencer he had that was doing 700 acres. He grabbed the fence and jokingly said to the farmer are you sure it's on. Your man couldn't get over how he could hold it and have no effect on him. Then you have myself and my father even with the fence turned on low here if we touched it we'd fall over.:pac:

Anyhow was just thinking about it when I was tidying up a few paddocks this morning. Too much time on me hands.:)

My father in law was the same a great man to find water via divining and a messer with electric fences. Never bothered him and he'd shake your hand and you'd be lifted.

MAJJ wrote: »
    My father in law was the same a great man to find water via divining and a messer with electric fences. Never bothered him and he'd shake your hand and you'd be lifted.

And tell me this — is dowsing normally a talent for the kind of people who get a zizz of an electric shock off cars in hot weather, and whose hair rises up with the static of the brush when they brush it?

^ We used to touch electric fences with a blade of grass to see if they were live.

Regarding the wire/welding rod theory - how does this explain the forked hazel branch technique?

Not your ornery onager

I really don't understand how I can post a link to a study where 30 dowsers were tested under agreed conditions for three days straight and it was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they couldn't achieve anything better than pure guessing and you're still here talking about electromagnetism and hazel branches.

You make me despair, you really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

ganmo wrote: »
    just because something isn't understood or not fully explainable doesn't mean it's not true.

For example homeopathy for all its craziness did manage to come up with a cure for cancer.
    Is this the definition of going from the ridiculous to the ludicrous?
    Whatever about people thinking that water 100ft. under the ground will cause two bent welding rods to twitch believing that water(with a memory!) will cure cancer takes the biscuit.
    About as much faith in these things as my neighbour looking for prayers to cure the orf in his lambs.

Wait, so out of three initial attempts only one was successful? That doesn't seem like an unlikely outcome for random guessing for something as small as a half acre (that's what you said, wasn't it?).

... Finding the "huh" moment is step 1 of a very long process, but you've jumped right to the end. There are innumerable possible explanations - most of which rely on very well understood psychological phenomena.

But your preferred explanation is that my subconscious is being manipulated by persons unknown to me, even when I'm the only biped within 600km who knows that I've decided to walk across a field with two bits of wire in my hands. That's a killer argument. :D

I haven't "jumped right to the end" at all. What I said was that *I* can find pipes/wires/other conduits in the same way that my uncle could. My father and my son cannot. That (to date) has been tested with 100% repeatability regardless of the many and various third parties present, regardless of the location, and regardless of the psychological priming. I don't understand how it works, and as it isn't going to change the outcome of the French presidential elections next year, or have any other significant effect on the world, I'm not going to invest any great amount of time or energy in studying the phenomenon.

But the next time someone asks me if I can tell them where the old drain under their garden is, I'll pick up the rods and walk the lines again ...

You still don't seem to understand that you being both the test subject and the scientist is worthless from a scientific point of view. You need to be tested under controlled conditions by a third party with no bias. Countless people believe with a passion that they can do what you think you can can do, and every time someone else has tested them they have failed completely. That wiki link earlier has plenty of examples of rigorous tests proving that these people are no better at finding water than random guessing would achieve.
    But your preferred explanation is that my subconscious is being manipulated by persons unknown to me, even when I'm the only biped within 600km who knows that I've decided to walk across a field with two bits of wire in my hands. That's a killer argument. :D

You said there were four people present so I've no idea what you're even trying to say any more.

People are getting too cross about this for me, and I'm outie. If anyone posts a video of the egg trick, could someone send me a PM? I'd love to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Esel wrote: »
    ^ We used to touch electric fences with a blade of grass to see if they were live.

Regarding the wire/welding rod theory - how does this explain the forked hazel branch technique?

Have no idea with the hazel rods never seen anyone do them.
    But if there are science people here this might explain the two wires thing and why they have to be parallel. But then I think with the right hand rule I think that would mean a charge would have to come from the person to the wires to make the wires pull together.
    Ah it's only a bit of sport but if someone learns something in the meantime all the better.

• Advertisement

You said there were four people present so I've no idea what you're even trying to say any more.

There were four people present (myself included) the day my uncle asked me if I'd ever tried divining, about five years ago.

Is that clear enough?

Since then, I've done it completely alone (e.g. this afternoon) and surrounded by many and various interested and disinterested parties, looking for things that were known to be present and just looking to see what might happen.

However, you seem to care more about hammering home the idea that it absolutely cannot possibly work than constructively discussing the unexplained anomaly that it consistently works for me (and did for my uncle, who is now dead but perhaps still speaks to me through my subconscious :pac: ) so I think I'll follow Chuchote out the door.

If this thread dies I want to put in that the maximum amount of magnetic force is gained when the wires are perpendicular to the magnetic field.
    I've heard one person say it is the hall effect?
    You have to remember the earth is a giant magnet and current passes through our bodies as well.
    Look it only worked for me with running waterpipes and water conducts electricity and may cause a slight magnetic field and may up through the person standing over it.
    Then I heard someone say it only works in the daytime but that might be because that's when we are facing the sun and charged particles from the sun can reach the earth on this side when the solar wind shield is at its thinnest when facing the sun.
    So then you have velocity, force and magnetic field.
    If someone in the future can put all the pieces together well and good.
    If not won't loose sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

If this thread dies I want to put in that the maximum amount of magnetic force is gained when the wires are perpendicular to the magnetic field.
    You have to remember the earth is a giant magnet and current passes through our bodies as well.
    Look it only worked for me with running waterpipes and water conducts electricity and may cause a slight magnetic field and may up through the person standing over it.
    Then I heard someone say it only works in the daytime but that might be because that's when we are facing the sun and charged particles from the sun can reach the earth on this side when the solar wind shield is at its thinnest when facing the sun.

I think that there's a good chance that your probably right. Let's all believe stuff that may be proved in the future. If not no harm done lads

What s/he said.

"How come my dog don't bark when you come around?"

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm sure many of you will have held strong magnets in your hand, car speakers or even stronger.
    They will act on a metal object relatively close to itself, but have no effect being 4-6 inches.
    Can you imagine how strong the magnetic force in something would need to be to move these metal rods from 6ft through earth and concrete. And people are believing that somehow a small pile with flowing water somehow does this ?
    If that was tha case can you imagine the power from water in a river with 1000 times the flowing water ??
    And really, how is it supposed to move a hazel rod ? Someone mentioned because the hazel rod probably has water in it, well we have far more water in us ~90% water so why don't magnets stick to us or why aren't we effected by large bodies of flowing water like a river or the ocean since aparrently this effect is from flowing water.
    if flowing water could emit this sort of magnetic power it would be a measured and known effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

_Brian wrote: »
    I'm sure many of you will have held strong magnets in your hand, car speakers or even stronger.
    They will act on a metal object relatively close to itself, but have no effect being 4-6 inches.
    Can you imagine how strong the magnetic force in something would need to be to move these metal rods from 6ft through earth and concrete. And people are believing that somehow a small pile with flowing water somehow does this ?
    If that was tha case can you imagine the power from water in a river with 1000 times the flowing water ??
    And really, how is it supposed to move a hazel rod ? Someone mentioned because the hazel rod probably has water in it, well we have far more water in us ~90% water so why don't magnets stick to us or why aren't we effected by large bodies of flowing water like a river or the ocean since aparrently this effect is from flowing water.
    if flowing water could emit this sort of magnetic power it would be a measured and known effect.
    It's the subconscious mind that does it, nothing to do with magnetic force.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

There were four people present (myself included) the day my uncle asked me if I'd ever tried divining, about five years ago.

Is that clear enough?

Since then, I've done it completely alone (e.g. this afternoon) and surrounded by many and various interested and disinterested parties, looking for things that were known to be present and just looking to see what might happen.

However, you seem to care more about hammering home the idea that it absolutely cannot possibly work than constructively discussing the unexplained anomaly that it consistently works for me (and did for my uncle, who is now dead but perhaps still speaks to me through my subconscious :pac: ) so I think I'll follow Chuchote out the door.

100% success for you, amazing! Well done on earning that million quid so.

_Brian wrote: »
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    It's the subconscious mind that does it, nothing to do with magnetic force.
    Ah sam I think that's nonsence stuff about the subconscious mind.
    You were saying about someone found a mobile phone with it. I presume the phone was switched on when they found it. As far as reading other posts I think it has everything to do with magnetic force. The only objects that are found are metallic or water. This magnetic force of metallic objects is well known the research stations measuring the earths magnetic field being a good example in that they have to be far away from a city and the building itself cannot use any metal as the instruments would pick them up instead.
    Brian is right we are 90% water and that makes us good conductors but maybe we produce a charge in our own right. The electric eel being an example of an animal doing so.
    As for running water maybe it does produce it's own magnetic force hitting off the sides of the pipe or it's own atoms but you would have to measure it in gauss or maybe lower if there is such a thing.
    It might also explain why compasses don't work as well at sea as on land.
    https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss_(unit)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There are some phenonema we still don't understand. A lot of spoofers but a % are genuine.
    The naysayers looking for scientific proof would have given Einstein a very hard time and agreed with imprisoning Galileo.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    There are some phenonema we still don't understand. A lot of spoofers but a % are genuine.
    The naysayers looking for scientific proof would have given Einstein a very hard time and agreed with imprisoning Galileo.

Look I try to understand as much as I can and all I wanted to know is why two wires which I hold very loosely pointing forward and when I cross over the water pipe and electric cable underground going to the pumphouse the wires come together.
    That's all. I read on tff that some people put them in plastic biros and it works and I will try that next and see. You have to question everything and learn from it.

Advertisement