Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else able to divine for water

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭flutered

rangler1 wrote: »
    I was in school with a boy that used to be able to find his watch,
    He'd hand it to a group and turn his back while one of us would put it in their pocket.
    We'd form a circle round him then and he'd find it using a forked stick.
    It'd twist in his hand when he'd face the watch.

Tying a weight on a piece of string and holding it with your hand can be weird too,
    seem to swing for no reason, some use it to divine water too
    It's called dowsing if you want to google
    have you ever tried sexing chicks with a needle and tread, hold the treaded needle by the tread, it will either go around in a circle or swing from one side to the other, this tells the chicks sex, it will work for some when the chick is formed in the egg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

flutered wrote: »
    how were the wells found back in the day, when they had only shovels to dig with, yet most springs were found under a dept of 30 feet

Because they hit ground water at these depths. The problem I've seen with most of these wells is that although they hit groundwater, they're not deep enough to give a sustainable long term yield and have to be redrilled eventually.

This is the problem with groundwater and well drilling which is leading to some of these dowsers making money. People see groundwater as some sort of mysterious black art. The term 'underground springs' for example is a nonsense.

Hydrogeology is a science, and a good hydrogeologist will tell you much more about a well you're thinking of drilling rather than a lad with a holly branch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

have you ever tried sexing chicks with a needle and tread, hold the treaded needle by the tread, it will either go around in a circle or swing from one side to the other, this tells the chicks sex, it will work for some when the chick is formed in the egg

I'm tempted to try this.
    I've chicks here and some of them are sex links so I know the sex already. Others I've no idea. I could give it a try. I know for a start I'll be 50% accurate at worse ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

onrail wrote: »
    Because they hit ground water at these depths. The problem I've seen with most of these wells is that although they hit groundwater, they're not deep enough to give a sustainable long term yield and have to be redrilled eventually.

This is the problem with groundwater and well drilling which is leading to some of these dowsers making money. People see groundwater as some sort of mysterious black art. The term 'underground springs' for example is a nonsense.

Hydrogeology is a science, and a good hydrogeologist will tell you much more about a well you're thinking of drilling rather than a lad with a holly branch

Sure look it, if people would like to source water from A: Hydrogeologist; A professional with technical and scientific qualifications or B: A lad with two rods the leave them off.

The hydrogeologist will always be able to tell you what kind of yield you will get from your well, the lads with the rods are literally saying x marks the spot.

In lots of cases you wont need either as the aquifer will be relatively homogenous and you will want to drill upgradient of your wastewater treatment system and farmyard runoff but close to the power and the house.....might leave you with one or two locations to play with.....A professional will tell you this once apparent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

flutered wrote:
    known hereabouts as rouge springs, they work best during wet weather

In England we used to call them winter Wells

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

_Brian wrote: »
    This is the best fella yet..
    He doesn't even need to come to the site, just a rough sketch and away he goes swinging his plumb.. bingo !!

It did actually work though, he gave an exact spot to be used and it turned out to be perfect! Strange but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It did actually work though, he gave an exact spot to be used and it turned out to be perfect! Strange but true.

Unless you can actually prove it worked then it didn't. Anecdotal evidence isn't really evidence and scientific studies have shown time and time against that diving has no more success then pure luck. A stopped clock is also right twice a day after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Unless you can actually prove it worked then it didn't. Anecdotal evidence isn't really evidence and scientific studies have shown time and time against that diving has no more success then pure luck. A stopped clock is also right twice a day after all.

Yet again I'll ask did you ever try it? Any doubter on this thread haven't answered this question yet.

Your real name wouldn't be Eamon Casey by any chance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

drill rig on the way tomorrow got it divined ,but as others said close to electricity.
    Diviner said that there were two strong springs crossing at different heights will give feedback in a few days

raindodger wrote: »
    drill rig on the way tomorrow got it divined ,but as others said close to electricity.
    Diviner said that there were two strong springs crossing at different heights will give feedback in a few days

As a matter of interest, who does the divining? The drilling contractor or a 3rd party?
    Where in the country are you? I'm not a hydrogeologist, but might be able to give a prediction based on online mapping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Yet again I'll ask did you ever try it? Any doubter on this thread haven't answered this question yet.

I know where bishop Casey is. And I don't need no diviner go find him.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

I know where bishop Casey is. And I don't need no diviner go find him.

Go on, tell us :)

No, nor do i have any intention of trying it until i see a link to actual evidence showing its nothing more than pure chance.

No, nor do i have any intention of trying it until i see a link to actual evidence showing its nothing more than pure chance.

So all you need do is get two metal L shaped rods to find out if it works but you need evidence that it's only pure chance. I found the exact route of a water pipe by using it now if you can do the same without using it if you believe it works by pure chance you'd have your evidence.

i never heard of any of them charge for their services here abouts

i have never seen any one dossing with a holly branch, a spring/well in our area served 10 houses, all drawn by bucket, either to a tankard or straight to the house, the council had manual water pumps installed in most localitys, how were they found, also all creamerys in this area has mighty wells on site, one creamery had three wells, which the council bought, they capped two and the remaining one is supplying water to two villages and their surrounding areas, in the u.s they can divine and drill for water by hand using two and an half inch pipe with teeth cut out of one end to act as a drill, them folks are not scientists or hydrologists

So all you need do is get two metal L shaped rods to find out if it works but you need evidence that it's only pure chance. I found the exact route of a water pipe by using it now if you can do the same without using it if you believe it works by pure chance you'd have your evidence.

Just tried it, didn't work. :rolleyes:

them folks are not scientists or hydrologists

The word you are looking for is con artists, or spoofers if you'd like to be polite.

The word you are looking for is con artists, or spoofers if you'd like to be polite.
    have you looked them up on line

that answer was not unexpected, paddy power would have not given any odds on it, perhaps one million to one on

• Advertisement

... they can divine and drill for water by hand using two and an half inch pipe with teeth cut out of one end to act as a drill, them folks are not scientists or hydrologists

People are missing the point here. The lads who sunk those pipes knew they'd hit water relatively shallow, based on experience and the general characteristics of the area.

Down where I live, I'm 100% certain I'll hit groundwater about 4 to 5 meters below ground level in most places. This is due to:
    1. The nature of the subsoil (sand acquifer)
    2. The elevation of nearby rivers and streams.

Now I could go out to the field with a rod, shake it around a bit, find water... and be proclaimed some sort of gifted diviner.

But I'm not. Unlike these diviners.. I'm being completely transparent with people. And won't get paid a penny for it

Why don't I believe you.

Why don't I believe you.

Ah don't be like that, I made a completely unsubstantiated post you have no way of verifying online. You must accept it as truth.

Look, to make it up to you I have some beans I'd be prepared to sell to you. They are magic.

As a matter of interest, who does the divining? The drilling contractor or a 3rd party?
    Where in the country are you? I'm not a hydrogeologist, but might be able to give a prediction based on online mapping

a relation of the drilling contractor did it he is from the area which is in south limerick on the cork border nearest town charleville six miles

raindodger wrote: »

a relation of the drilling contractor did it he is from the area which is in south limerick on the cork border nearest town charleville six miles

See this is what makes me suspicious.... that the diviner is 'a relation' of the contractor!
    What are the chances that the point he chooses suits the contractor more than it suits you...!!?

See this is what makes me suspicious.... that the diviner is 'a relation' of the contractor!
    What are the chances that the point he chooses suits the contractor more than it suits you...!!?

have known the diviner for a long number of years has an honest reputation ,you have to factor in that they will look for a site which is most suitable to everyone close to power and present infrastucture.Driller told me he would drill anyplace i wanted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Just passing through, but as I promised I'd run a "controlled experiment" I thought I'd give ye the results (was under pressure to be somewhere else so didn't have time to video it).

Five candidates, one female, four male. Test site was the lane outside the house with one overhead power cable, one on-the-ground power cable, one mains water supply, four drainage channels collecting run-off from the downpipes and carrying it to a collapsed ditch on the other side.

None of the test subjects had ever done divining before, none of them knew what was expected of the rods, and none of them knew the location of any of the water courses. The power cables were visible. The subjects were asked to walk once up and down the lane and call out if "something happened". None of the subjects witnessed the previous test.

Two of the lads got no reaction at all.
    The girl and one of the lads identified the location of 100% of the power cables and 100% of the underground watercourses to within 1.5m (as noted by them shouting WTF? or Jayzuz until the began to understand what was going on. :pac:)
    Subject No.5 was the most interesting. When he crossed the different channels, the rods swung outwards instead of in, and seemed to get "stuck" in that position. We were about to write him off as a "failure" when it was pointed out that he was the only citeog in the group. He did a follow up test with his arms crossed and the rods crossed as normal when he was above the channels.

No doubt the unbelievers will attribute this consistency to some kind of (unproven) telemetry and psychological manipulation. For those who are genuinely interested, all of the "positive" readings regarding the watercourses were about 1m downhill of the actual locations, which the week before I had found in the right places - by divining. Needs further investigation ...

BTW, I dug out that Kessel study. It's a classic example of a test being "set up to fail" and contributes nothing to the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I have the theory figured out.

First of all. I use it to find half inch waterpipes.
    So we'll start with that how does a plastic waterpipe have a magnetic field?
    So I found a study in Canada.
    They said that when a liquid like water comes into contact with a non-conducting solid, the solid surface becomes charged with a thin layer. The dimensions of the microchannels used in the Canadian experiments were comparable with the thickness of this charged layer. This means that if water is then forced through the channel, ions with an opposite charge to the surface preferentially pass through it, and ions with a like charge stay behind. This results in the channel becoming positive at one end and negative at the other - like a battery.
    So basically behaves like a magnet with magnetic field.

Now to the human element. A human is basically a magnet with a magnetic field.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetocardiography
    and
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetoencephalography
    Right so a magnet both produces it's own magnetic field and responds to magnetic fields.
    Taken from trifield.com
    A changing magnetic field will also create an electric field in the human body which causes a current to flow. The current is at right angles to the direction of the changing magnetic field and is strongest near the extremities of a person.
    Current tends to flow along the outer surface of the body. It's strength is proportional to the rate at which the field changes.

Right so take the right hand or left hand rule (which ever one you use, the one with the three fingers). The magnetic field is below your feet, that means the current will go at a right angle to your body and be strongest to your hands sticking out from your body and the force is you walking into a different magnetic field. Creating an induced current in your body which is shown in your hands and goes into the wires.

Now when the currents go into the wires from the same direction this happens.
    Two parallel rectilinear currents interact in such a way that they attract each other if they are flowing in the same direction.
    So the wires are attracted to each other and cross.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday%27s_law_of_induction

And here's another one for you.
    http://www.bssaonline.org/content/104/3/1289.full.pdf
    Remember when dawg's cows stuck to the ground for 10 seconds before the tremor.
    If the current to the body comes from changes in magnetic field is true it would explain it. As animals are more sensitive to currents. Anyone who milked cows in a parlour with stray current would tell you that. You can't feel it but they do.

There's food for thought.:pac::pac::pac:

Just passing through, but as I promised I'd run a "controlled experiment" I thought I'd give ye the results (was under pressure to be somewhere else so didn't have time to video it)..

Convenient. Too busy to hold a phone in your hand, or have one of the other 5 people do it?

Interesting that you feel 2 people had 100% success by being as far off as 1.5 Meters.

The citeog bit was funny, good work.

You should tell your 2 mates they can earn 1 million quid, they might cut you in on a bit of it. Of course you'd have to come up with something more substantial than what you have posted here, which is pure nonsense.

• Advertisement

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    I have the theory figured out.

You most certainly do not. More holes in that then a colander. Rivers for one poop all over that theory

You most certainly do not. More holes in that then a colander. Rivers for one poop all over that theory

Who said anything about rivers?
    Really?
    I'm talking about water flowing in a non conductive tube creating a magnetic field.

Really?
    I'm talking about water flowing in a non conductive tube creating a magnetic field.

Rivers aren't a tube now?

Please link to a peer reviewed scientific paper to back up your claims. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

be a bit like Yamato1, magnetic propulsion boat

look no propellers :) :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Convenient. Too busy to hold a phone in your hand, or have one of the other 5 people do it?

Interesting that you feel 2 people had 100% success by being as far off as 1.5 Meters.

In a lane of 150m, to have a reaction at, and only at, the point where the supply and drainage channels crossed underneath, every time - that's 100% consistency. As I remarked earlier, my three novices each placed the course at the same 1.5m downhill/west of the actual location.

It was not the least bit convenient not to be able to have it on video, as I wanted to avoid provoking comments such as yours ... but I'm sure if I'd uploaded a crappy phone video you'd have found some other reason to dispute the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Really?

I'll just toss this in.

So your theory is that water flowing in a half inch pipe maybe a meter underground produced a magnetic field which can be interacted with on the surface with no specialised equipment.

How come then that large bore pipes with higher flows and pressures aren't making our lives a total nightmare as they would obviously produce more "stronger" magnetic fields ??

How come a hiking compass isn't affected by either the magnetic field in our body or in underground pipes that you refer to.

And then there's the problem that lads dowse with bits of twigs ?? How do these magical magnetic forces move these, I've heard it said that the twig twisting would near break your arm if the signal is strong enough - that's a lot of energy that proper science has completly missed out on.

Ya see where the holes are, a compas reacts to real magnetic forces, yet this force being produced by our bodies don't interfere with the compas which is a finely tuned instrument, yet people believe that the interaction from our body and a half inch pipe buried underground can make roughly bent pieces of wire move ??

Also, are you discounting it being possible without pipes?? So only someone finding pipes is genuinely doing this, everyone else is a scam artist ??

So for me this is still impossible until I see some credible science applied to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

On magnetic fields - I worked for a company once that used RF Welders to weld plastic together. We had a guy over to service them one day and opened a can of worms by saying to the operators that the older machines were not protected fully from magnetic radiation. So, we got in an independent guy to measure the radiation from the machines. We walked around with a device to measure what was coming from the machines. You could see the needle rising when he went near the machines, but what was even more alarming was the reading coming from mobile phones. All relative I know, but scary nonetheless.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭alps

So for me this is still impossible until I see some credible science applied to it.

Science has so many things that it has yet to discover.....so much s ience of the past can be shown to be outdated or flawed ..but was fact of the time...The earth was flat and the sun moved around it and that was logical for the time...

And without needing science to understand, I can tell you for me the rods will find a water pipe 100% of the time.

In a lane of 150m, to have a reaction at, and only at, the point where the supply and drainage channels crossed underneath, every time - that's 100% consistency. As I remarked earlier, my three novices each placed the course at the same 1.5m downhill/west of the actual location.

It was not the least bit convenient not to be able to have it on video, as I wanted to avoid provoking comments such as yours ... but I'm sure if I'd uploaded a crappy phone video you'd have found some other reason to dispute the results.

I guess we should just take your completely unverifiable word for it so? 50% of your test subject didn't find anything and 50% were 10% away, sounds like pure chance tbh.

You have a perfect opportunity to record what you found but didn't, i can only assume that is because you are exaggerating your positive results.

alps wrote: »
    Science has so many things that it has yet to discover.....so much s ience of the past can be shown to be outdated or flawed ..but was fact of the time...The earth was flat and the sun moved around it and that was logical for the time...

And without needing science to understand, I can tell you for me the rods will find a water pipe 100% of the time.

Comparing uneducated religious morons who conducted no actual scientific experiments with today's modern techniques is laughable. Ironically people who believe in dowsing have more in common with the former than the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭alps

I guess we should just take your completely unverifiable word for it so? 50% of your test subject didn't find anything and 50% were 10% away, sounds like pure chance tbh.

You have a perfect opportunity to record what you found but didn't, i can only assume that is because you are exaggerating your positive results.

No....its reads to me that they were 1.5%away...scientifically speaking

• Advertisement

No....its reads to me that they were 1.5%away...scientifically speaking

1% technically, not 1.5%. but given the nature of the 'experiment' the actually variance was twice that.

See, but science completly understands magnetic radiation and how fields behave and interact with each other. We have gauss meters capable of detecting minute magnetic fields. But what dowsers claim to be happening can't be detected by science. Then there is that they claim that twigs are being controlled by magnetic forces.

For 13 years I worked in a science based industry where we used powerful magnetic fields, microwaves and rf power to alter properties of materials at the atomic level, I worked with magnetic shielding and measurements, im no scientist but as an engineer using this type of energy understand its capabilities, what people are discussing with dowsing just isn't happening. We used the science of how these energies are created and prevented to both do work, protect ourselves with shielding and detect where energy leaks were present.

If you believe in something that science has proven doesn't exist - what you have is blind faith, the same blind faith that believes some guy floating on a cloud made everything in 7 days and that the priest somehow converts bread and wine into flesh and blood every single mass. I note in the video shown in previous posts what did the double blind test with dowsers that many mentioned God when they were proven wrong - that fits right in.

I'll just toss this in.

So your theory is that water flowing in a half inch pipe maybe a meter underground produced a magnetic field which can be interacted with on the surface with no specialised equipment.

How come then that large bore pipes with higher flows and pressures aren't making our lives a total nightmare as they would obviously produce more "stronger" magnetic fields ??

How come a hiking compass isn't affected by either the magnetic field in our body or in underground pipes that you refer to.

And then there's the problem that lads dowse with bits of twigs ?? How do these magical magnetic forces move these, I've heard it said that the twig twisting would near break your arm if the signal is strong enough - that's a lot of energy that proper science has completly missed out on.

Ya see where the holes are, a compas reacts to real magnetic forces, yet this force being produced by our bodies don't interfere with the compas which is a finely tuned instrument, yet people believe that the interaction from our body and a half inch pipe buried underground can make roughly bent pieces of wire move ??

Also, are you discounting it being possible without pipes?? So only someone finding pipes is genuinely doing this, everyone else is a scam artist ??

I'm never looking at rods again. Ha. :D

Look how does anyone learn.
    By experimenting and finding out and reading other people's reports and hoping people tell the truth.

I thought I had it figured out and then another poster said rods with a left
    handed person went the other way.
    So I crossed my hands over and instead of going in they went out. So ???

I always like trying to figure things out.
    Life be boring if you didn't.

Now back to the water in the pipes.
    Seemingly the smaller the plastic pipe the better. Look up electricity from water in Canada.

Then onto magnetic fields.
    Don't mix up radiation, force and current with a field. You cannot block a field.You could be walking outside a building with a concrete wall and a mag field detector inside attached to an alarm would pick you up.

Should always be curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

Well that escalated quickly!!:D

Great reading whichever side of the "divine" line you sit.

Yes and people are very curious about this. They have studied it, tested it and found it to not be observable, no more accurate than pure blind chance. Despite this you have people absolutely adamant that it works but not one of them will show even a hint of evidence. There is only one conclusion to draw from that.

By experimenting and finding out and reading other people's reports and hoping people tell the truth.

Seemingly the smaller the plastic pipe the better. Look up electricity from water in Canada.

Don't mix up radiation, force and current with a field. You cannot block a field.You could be walking outside a building with a concrete wall and a mag field detector inside attached to an alarm would pick you up.

Remember reading what someone says isn't the same as a scientifically controlled double blind experiment. For something to be a fact it needs to be understood, documented and repeatable under known circumstances. Exactly all the conditions where when dowsing has been tested it fails.

I was curious too and googled the electricity from pipes in Canada.
    They are installing in-line hydroelectricity generators in the pipe network.

http://www.hydroworld.com/articles/2014/11/halifax-water-generates-power-from-a-32-kw-in-pipe-small-hydroelectric-system.html

No snake oil there.

Remember reading what someone says isn't the same as a scientifically controlled double blind experiment. For something to be a fact it needs to be understood, documented and repeatable under known circumstances. Exactly all the conditions where when dowsing has been tested it fails.
    Who in their right mind would look into this?
    To do so would be scientific suicide. The tests that I've seen done are buckets of water with a cover on them and go in and tell which bucket has the water in it.
    A bucket of water in a tent has no magnetic field.

Other ones where people were on a first floor and had to tell where a wateripe or electric pipe were running in the ground on the ground floor.

The most exciting thing I take out of this is why does a left handed person rods go the other way. So by that they are obviously wired up inside a different way than right handed people.

Anyway i'm out of this.:P

I was curious too and googled the electricity from pipes in Canada.
    They are installing in-line hydroelectricity generators in the pipe network.

http://www.hydroworld.com/articles/2014/11/halifax-water-generates-power-from-a-32-kw-in-pipe-small-hydroelectric-system.html

No snake oil there.
    Here you're thinking too big.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2003/oct/21/extracting-electricity-from-water

Definitely out now.

After five pages we've agreed right and left handed people are different !

People look into stuff because others claim it to be scientific fact and often charge for their services, snake oil style.

Also the other reason is that if there were a shred of science on this you can be sure it would be harnessed and commercialised.

• Advertisement
Advertisement