Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options
  • 22-08-2016 5:52pm
    Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

A thread for general discussion about Newstalk radio.

Mod Edit: List of Thread Bans

AUGEO, 7 days inclusive from 6 June 2021
    Post edited by hullaballoo on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Strange - I thought general radio station threads were banned.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94043426

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Wait, we can have one of these again?

Yes!

Can I bitch about the app here? Stupid ads. For a station that blathers on about obesity and sugary drinks so much, they should really stop making me look at ads for Whopper meals every five seconds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Rambling Rake

Is there a drop off in radio listenership in the summer months? Seems strange that so many are taking holidays simultaneously with Breakfast and George gone.

Other than Pat and Moncrieff daytime has been pitiful recently.

"Teena" Gates has quite honestly the worst broadcast voice I have ever heard. I thought she was English at first? I hope she is temporary!!!

I quite like Kevin Doyle. He'd be on Breakfast over Collette or Dundawks finest anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

Whatever happened to that mod who closed the last thread ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Probably presenting The Right Hook, everyone else seems to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i wish they'd stop playing ads for sunday's off the ball on the monday after.
    i'm not really going to look forward to west ham's first game in the new stadium on the day after the game.

I like the way Newstalk make a semi decent stab at promoting the Irish language, with Splanc.

Unlike Radio 1 programmes and news bulletins, the presenters and guests are almost always "non-native speakers", and are very easy to understand. For most of us who speak Irish but leanred it outside the Gaeltacht, understanding Gaeltacht Irish is a bit like an Japanese English speaker trying to understand a Kerryman. It's a totally different sound, and they even use different words.

I thought I was losing my Irish when I confessed I couldn't understand much the G.A.A. coverage on Raidio na Gaeltachta, when someone else said they couldn't either, and sent me a newspaper article about it.

Anyway, fair play to Newstalk for reaching out to this demographic. RnaG and Radio 1 aren't much interested in Irish-speakers from outside the Gaeltacht. RnaG is pretty much a local radio station.

Man, i used to love Splanc back when it was Dara O'Tuama.

Even did one of my two ever acts of consumer complaint by emailing the station when they canned it briefly.

However, over time chilling by myself with the radio/playstation/beer combo on a Friday night became unreasonable. Selfish, apparently (to be fair, this does stack up with what else I know about myself).

Ayway, must give it a go again, have very fond memories of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

I thought I was losing my Irish when I confessed I couldn't understand much the G.A.A. coverage on Raidio na Gaeltachta, when someone else said they couldn't either, and sent me a newspaper article about it.

Would you happen to have that article handy?

davef1000 wrote: »
    Would you happen to have that article handy?
    Yep, here you go

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/schism-fears-for-gaeilgeoir%C3%AD-1.1269494

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Gurra míle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Listening to Tom Dunne the last fews days, I still say they made a mistake moving him from daytime radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Listening to Tom Dunne the last fews days, I still say they made a mistake moving him from daytime radio.

He just wasn't pulling decent numbers in his previous timeslot, he was up against guys like Tubridy and Pat Kenny at the time. It was fairly light content also, quite similar to Moncrieff actually.

He's in his element presenting the type of show he has now imo. He's back to what he does best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

They now have Healy back presenting the show that they got rid of him from because nobody liked him. What is the point in that? With the stand in presenters that they have in since the announcement of the new lineup, they may as well have just burned the station down for the insurance money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

They now have Healy back presenting the show that they got rid of him from because nobody liked him. What is the point in that? With the stand in presenters that they have in since the announcement of the new lineup, they may as well have just burned the station down for the insurance money.

it's to make you crave for a sense of normality again. august seems to have dragged out so much with the stand in presenters all over the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Think today is his last day, wouldn't be a fan of his or his show or anything but I'm surprised at the level of hatred for him on the various radio forums here. I'd be giving Chris Donoghue his P45 long before him, not because I dislike him, but because he is utterly shįte at what he does. Instead they seem to have promoted him to a prime slot. Complete mystery.

Think today is his last day, wouldn't be a fan of his or his show or anything but I'm surprised at the level of hatred for him on the various radio forums here.

I actually liked Healy when he started, but really started to hate the cynical, smart ar$e, hurler on the ditch that he turned into. He's quite similar to D'Arcy. Very populist.. everything is the Government's fault, and there is never any question of personal responsibility for the people who are the focus of his "Bart's People" type interviews. The guy is a good broadcaster, has a good voice for radio, and the girls like the look of him... but's it's just very very hard to like him.

I actually liked Healy when he started, but really started to hate the cynical, smart ar$e, hurler on the ditch that he turned into. He's quite similar to D'Arcy. Very populist.. everything is the Government's fault, and there is never any question of personal responsibility for the people who are the focus of his "Bart's People" type interviews. The guy is a good broadcaster, has a good voice for radio, and the girls like the look of him... but's it's just very very hard to like him.

Was thinking this too. I remember really liking his show at first. But as you say, over time it just became sort of whinging outrage at absolutely everything.

Still like him, but it got real tiresome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Anything would of sounded good after a couple of years of Eamon Keane. Healy was originally paired with Damien Kiberd, but Kiberd left due to ill health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Yeah, I used to like listening to him, especially whenever he gave politicians a hard time.

But then he started to do that annoying thing where he'd have the last word, and slide down the volume and jump quickly onto the next segment, not giving a chance for rebuttal.

Still, best of luck to him, he mentioned he'd be pottering around Newstalk. I wonder is he taking over Shane's role as Political Editor/Jack of all trades stand in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

sheep? wrote: »

Still, best of luck to him, he mentioned he'd be pottering around Newstalk. I wonder is he taking over Shane's role as Political Editor/Jack of all trades stand in?

I guess he'll go back to being the stations Southern Correspondents, and as you said, the "Jack of all trades stand in".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

So when does this sh1te dynamic and exciting new schedule start?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

sheep? wrote: »
    Yeah, I used to like listening to him, especially whenever he gave politicians a hard time.

But then he started to do that annoying thing where he'd have the last word, and slide down the volume and jump quickly onto the next segment, not giving a chance for rebuttal.

I'd say he's f**ked for work, he's been hanging around for the last two months like a bad fart and crying the poor mouth whenever given the opportunity. getting the bullet, getting tossed about like a rag doll on the schedule and hanging around until the last pay day, fairly undignified and humiliating exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

I'd say he's f**ked for work, he's been hanging around for the last two months like a bad fart and crying the poor mouth whenever given the opportunity. getting the bullet, getting tossed about like a rag doll on the schedule and hanging around until the last pay day, fairly undignified and humiliating exit.

Will go back to Cork local radio. Can't do blase, the mark of the true professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

So when does this sh1te dynamic and exciting new schedule start?

Some time in September apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Who is this muck savage roaring out of the radio at ten o clock on a Sunday morning

Who is this muck savage roaring out of the radio at ten o clock on a Sunday morning

I wish he'd stop rustling the damned papers.

I know I'm like a broken record at this stage, but how long is it now that they are on the "emergency stand in" crew. Is it three months since they made the big announcement of the new shows, and then all f**ked off on their holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sheehan begins the days attack

Pathetic

Sheehan begins the days attack
    Pathetic

He always strikes me as incredibly loose tongued and subjective for somebody who is editor of a newpaper.

This presenter lad makes Mick Clifford sound like Michael D Higgins.

• Advertisement

Lads I'm all over the gaf with the scedule. Why was Henry McKean on at 6 or 7 in the evening?

What's the craic with Talking History?

Is there any reason to listen to Talking Books?

Why is the TED radio hour nowhere near as interesting as you'd think it would be? Is it the awful music?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement