Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Healy Raes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Edgware wrote: »
    The pair got 25000 No 1s out of a 78000 poll. Not a bad hard core. Although Danny was about 7000 behind the "smarter" brother. They also "deliver" for their constituents and indeed are known to represent people outside Kerry who are getting nowhere with their own T.D.s

Indeed! The family motto being "If the cash is there, we do not care!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    People don’t understand what a TD is and what a councillor is. They vote in Healy Rae based on work a councillor should be doing

Ignorance of the Irish political system is the biggest issue

100% Agree with what you said, some people are ignorant of the local work all TDs do.

Heres the official line from https://www.citizensinformation.ie/ :

The work of a TD locally
    TDs have both national and local roles. As your local representative, a TD can ask questions in the Dáil or raise issues that are important to you or your local area. Most TDs have constituency clinics, where you can meet them and discuss issues that might then be raised in the Dáil or in PQs.

Some people think that just because a TD does a great job locally, they are somehow bad !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    100% Agree with what you said, some people are ignorant of the local work all TDs do.

Heres the official line from https://www.citizensinformation.ie/ :

The work of a TD locally
    TDs have both national and local roles. As your local representative, a TD can ask questions in the Dáil or raise issues that are important to you or your local area. Most TDs have constituency clinics, where you can meet them and discuss issues that might then be raised in the Dáil or in PQs.

Some people think that just because a TD does a great job locally, they are somehow bad !

So health care is not important in your area?

Drinking pints in middle of day is?

They do a councillors job locally, what exactly are the local Healy Rae councillors doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Exactly. The truth of the matter here is that very very few people in "normal jobs" would take on the work the Healy Raes have taken on and complete it successfully. People may complain that it's parish pump politics but their is their job. The Healy Raes never let on to be anything else. There is a certain honesty to that.

The Healy Raes are just easy targets because of their high-visibility. As politicians go, there is a lot worse out there. I guarantee you.

So health care is not important in your area?

Come on.... even you know how committed HR is to healthcare.

Reminds me of the Monty Python, what have the Romans done for us ? Ohh he campaigns at a national level for increases in beds etc, ohh and he lays on buses for his constituents (and others) to get treatment... But apart for the national campaigning, and the private buses, what has he done ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

^^^^^Are we related?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

jetsonx wrote: »
    Exactly. The truth of the matter here is that very very few people in "normal jobs" would take on the work the Healy Raes have taken on and complete it successfully. People may complain that it's parish pump politics but their is their job. The Healy Raes never let on to be anything else. There is a certain honesty to that.

The Healy Raes are just easy targets because of their high-visibility. As politicians go, there is a lot worse out there. I guarantee you.

Hype Raes indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Come on.... even you know how committed HR is to healthcare.

Reminds me of the Monty Python, what have the Romans done for us ? Ohh he campaigns at a national level for increases in beds etc, ohh and he lays on buses for his constituents (and others) to get treatment... But apart for the national campaigning, and the private buses, what has he done ?

The difference being, in the Monty Python sketch, the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, fresh-water system, and public health are all absent and get provided by the Romans.

The Healy-Raes lay on private buses for treatment that's already available to everyone.

If they genuinely gave a **** about their constituents instead of just their votes, they might actually be up in the Dáil, asking why it is that their constituents need to go to Norn' Iron for treatment, while Norn' Iron citizens come down here for the same treatment.

But if that all got sorted, they'd lose clients, so...

I wonder will Brexit feck that up for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

As a matter of interest they are not the Healy Raes. They are the Healys Rae

The difference being, in the Monty Python sketch, the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, fresh-water system, and public health are all absent and get provided by the Romans.

The Healy-Raes lay on private buses for treatment that's already available to everyone.

If they genuinely gave a **** about their constituents instead of just their votes, they might actually be up in the Dáil, asking why it is that their constituents need to go to Norn' Iron for treatment, while Norn' Iron citizens come down here for the same treatment.

But if that all got sorted, they'd lose clients, so...

I wonder will Brexit feck that up for them?

Interesting read for you:

https://www.medicalindependent.ie/putting-the-politics-into-health/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What a knock out!

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Yeah. "It's grand, I can skip the queue, sure I know a TD." You do know this isn't a good thing? All the people they Healy-Raes skip get their own wait extended, like?

And the time and effort wasted answering those PQs takes up resources, too...

What a knock out!

"We have facilities here in our hospitals and they are operating for four, five, six hours a day. Operate the damn things for 10, 12 hours a day. Why should we be giving money to a hospital in the north — and I am appreciative of what they do — when we could do them here… our archaic system of operating dictates that it is like we are in slow motion.”

Well, Michael, that'd be because they cost money to operate, but we're paying admin staff to answer PQs instead of surgeons and theatre nurses...

Yeah. "It's grand, I can skip the queue, sure I know a TD." You do know this isn't a good thing? All the people they Healy-Raes skip get their own wait extended, like?

This has been discussed before in this thread, no queue skipping, as you said your very self, its something they are entitled to.
    And the time and effort wasted answering those PQs takes up resources, too...

You do remember you post earlier saying they didn't ask enough questions, which is it - not enough or too many ??

"We have facilities here in our hospitals and they are operating for four, five, six hours a day. Operate the damn things for 10, 12 hours a day. Why should we be giving money to a hospital in the north — and I am appreciative of what they do — when we could do them here… our archaic system of operating dictates that it is like we are in slow motion.”

Well, Michael, that'd be because they cost money to operate, but we're paying admin staff to answer PQs instead of surgeons and theatre nurses...

How on earth do you have the balls to say that when you said this earlier ?

"If they genuinely gave a **** about their constituents instead of just their votes, they might actually be up in the Dáil, asking why it is that their constituents need to go to Norn' Iron for treatment, while Norn' Iron citizens come down here for the same treatment."

You cant debate logically when you make a 180 degree turn in your argument like that, its so random..

You're out of your depth here lad, you thought you had nothing to do but play to the crowd by making a few smart comments and you got your ass handed to you on a plate.

Toddle on.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

What a knock out!

How is that a knock out?

He is playing to the crowd

Instead of bumping one person up the list they should be helping fix the entire HSE, fact is they are not. They are part of the problem. Draining tax money into their own pockets and not helping at all with critical issues in Ireland

Only a Healy Rae supporter would think that Bs is a knock out.... f**king waste of spaces the pair of them in Dail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

How is that a knock out?

Instead of bumping one person up the list they should be helping fix the entire HSE, fact is they are not. They are part of the problem. Draining tax money into their own pockets and not helping at all with critical issues in Ireland

But that's like saying the General Manager of McDonalds in Ireland should be helping sort out the issues of McDonalds Inc Worldwide. He / she is not because it's not their job. Their job is look after the territory in Ireland. In the same way, the Healy Rae clan are looking after their territory in Kerry.

How is that a knock out?

He is playing to the crowd

Only a Healy Rae supporter would think that Bs is a knock out.... f**king waste of spaces the pair of them in Dail

Trouble is you wont listen or indeed read, both of which I would have thought were a prerequisite for your degree ?

The comment "Hes playing to the crowd" is such a cop out, so you can dismiss anything he says of indeed does.

Hes not bumping anyone up, this was discussed before, hes helping people get treatment.

How is he not questioning the HSE when hes asked more questions of the health minster than any other TD ?

I dont think your mind can be changed by any combination of facts and logic, you dismiss both.

All politics is local.

That's something that Mehall and Leo learned at the last election when they barely scraped in on the 5th and 6th count.

• Advertisement

How on earth do you have the balls to say that when you said this earlier ?

"If they genuinely gave a **** about their constituents instead of just their votes, they might actually be up in the Dáil, asking why it is that their constituents need to go to Norn' Iron for treatment, while Norn' Iron citizens come down here for the same treatment."

You cant debate logically when you make a 180 degree turn in your argument like that, its so random..

I don't want to get personal. But reading comprehension might not be your strong point.

There's a world of difference between "To ask the Minister why X hospital only carried out Y operations of Z type last year, can the number be increased, what barriers there might be to such an increase, can they be addressed if Sláintecare was fully implemented, and if he will make a statement on the matter." and "To ask the Minister if he is aware of the case of person X [details supplied] who is waiting on operation Y and can their operation be expedited, because they're suffering far more than every single other person on the list, I've checked, and the clinicians are obviously wrong, I know this because I'm a business owner."

Trouble is you wont listen or indeed read, both of which I would have thought were a prerequisite for your degree ?

The comment "Hes playing to the crowd" is such a cop out, so you can dismiss anything he says of indeed does.

Hes not bumping anyone up, this was discussed before, hes helping people get treatment.

How is he not questioning the HSE when hes asked more questions of the health minster than any other TD ?

I dont think your mind can be changed by any combination of facts and logic, you dismiss both.

What have the Healy Rae family done in all the years they have been voted in to resolve the HSE or any issue?

jetsonx wrote: »
    But that's like saying the General Manager of McDonalds in Ireland should be helping sort out the issues of McDonalds Inc Worldwide. He / she is not because it's not their job. Their job is look after the territory in Ireland. In the same way, the Healy Rae clan are looking after their territory in Kerry.

Looking after "their territory"? They're not supposed to be feudal lords. I mean, they obviously think they are, and are treated as such by their constituents, who are only delighted to receive the largesse that falls form their lords' tables.

But if we're talking about "their territory in Kerry", that's the job of county councillors, the vast majority of the time, except every so often when a huge national plan such as the spatial strategy or Climate Action Plan is developed. Although Danny doesn't believe in climate change, so may be behind the curve there...

I glad everyone is so happy to vote in a TD to do f**k all ....then go around every other thread complaining about every other political party....if you want to waste your vote, no problem but then you shouldn’t be complaining about any party trying to fix those issues.

I don't want to get personal. But reading comprehension might not be your strong point.

There's a world of difference between "To ask the Minister why X hospital only carried out Y operations of Z type last year, can the number be increased, what barriers there might be to such an increase, can they be addressed if Sláintecare was fully implemented, and if he will make a statement on the matter." and "To ask the Minister if he is aware of the case of person X [details supplied] who is waiting on operation Y and can their operation be expedited, because they're suffering far more than every single other person on the list, I've checked, and the clinicians are obviously wrong, I know this because I'm a business owner."

Only in your mind, think about it a bit more.

Looking after "their territory"? They're not supposed to be feudal lords. I mean, they obviously think they are, and are treated as such by their constituents, who are only delighted to receive the largesse that falls form their lords' tables.

But if we're talking about "their territory in Kerry", that's the job of county councillors, the vast majority of the time, except every so often when a huge national plan such as the spatial strategy or Climate Action Plan is developed. Although Danny doesn't believe in climate change, so may be behind the curve there...

Very immature line of argument, picking on the use of the word territory.

All politics is local.

That's something that Mehall and Leo learned at the last election when they barely scraped in on the 5th and 6th count.

Still done more in a day for Ireland than the Healy Rae have down in how many years

Look, you talked rubbish, and you were proved wrong, now you decide to get personal (your words), very immature behaviour. Its not a playground grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

All politics is local.

20000 votes for Martin and his colleague is hardly scraping in and delivered 2 seats and ultimately Taoiseach. The fishwife refused to have a running mate in case she lost the poll topper headline

• Advertisement

Poor ol' tauren and sheffield furiously trying to make a case that they are right and everyone who believes the Healy Rae's are good politicians are Wrong, wrong, wrong!

They're like two blind men trying to do a radio commentary on a horse race, not a clue between them.

Advertisement