Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

I’d say he’d be better off give up the calves on Mondays, mostly all going to Castleisland now. If he did cows on Monday, it’d clash with Bandon and Kilmallock which might not be too bad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭morphy87

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Obviously it wouldn't appear overnight but once built he'd have it for the rest of time. You could be right about looking to eliminate the competition but I've seen lots of those stunts over the year's too and it rarely comes to pass. Everything in the livestock business seems to come in cycles and competition is the life of trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Listowel Wednesday mart is under savage pressure. It had 25 lots kast Wednesday, zero the week before and about 80-100 the week before that. That is for calves and weanlings. It in direct competition with Castleisland on Wednesdays admittedly with a different product.

If it loses the cows on Thursday's against Gortatlea it will struggle to stay going. It had 200 cows on Thursday's with Mauty moving cows to Thursday's it could really struggle to hold enough buyers to maintain a viable mart.

Problem with a second ring is you have buyers buying cows, heifers bulls and bullocks so they cannot be at both ring's at the same time.

As well Kerry is an anomaly in eight marts spread across the country. At present Castleisland and Gortatlea have serious volumes in numbers. All the rest are struggling to achieve decent throughput. They are all independent marts. If it was a single entity 4-6 would be fortnightly. Co Limerick has really only one in Kilmallock. Ya Abbeyfeale dise every Saturday but Dromcollogher only dose calves for part of the year

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

Apparently Abbeyfeale is going ok at present, I haven’t been there in years or watched any sales online so it’s only what I hear. Does Cahirciveen mart do much?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

Good money for buyer but seller is at nothing keeping animal for 2.5 years and selling fo 2.25 kg unless they were poor hex/fr....

But with farming will always be winners and losers.... Upto everyone to know if their system is viable. And hopefully they know before it breaks them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭50HX

Castleisland has improved massively over the past year, they really upped their game coz if the gortatlea competition.

Abbeyfeale mart on a sat am suits a lot of part time beef lads that want to be physically present in a mart, reduce the haulage fees etc by doing it themselves

Listowel are authors of their own downfall, no appetite to even call to yards to look at cattle, a crying shame as location re traffic & mart facilities its one if the best in the country since they moved out of the town

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Here's the 6 bullocks and 6 heifers I sold in Dungarvan earlier today. Some were getting meal for 4 weeks and some for 6 weeks. Approx 3kg. Happy overall but some lessons as ever:

• I should have booked them in earlier. I didn't know you could book them in 2-3 weeks in advance. I only booked them in last week and so the bullocks were nearly the last lot to sell. Heifers only start selling after that then. They were loaded here at home at 9am and it was close to 3pm when they sold. I'm guessing they lost 20kg at least along the way
    • The AA sold fine but I thought the LM lad would sell better. Same for the BB - he was much lighter than I thought. The last 2 weeks of rain and muck killed thrive.
    • The two bunches of AA heifers sold well. Happy enough with them.
    • I lost approx. €200 on the LM heifer. She'll be 30 months in Dec. I bought her in a bunch of 16 calves in June-21 and she looked the same as the rest. Never sick a day, no knock-back, but she must have had Dexter or Kerry-cow genetics
    • I need to look at the 17 stores left here now but I might try to get some of them direct to the factory, for comparison as much as anything else

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Agree on all fronts. Castleisland is flying it since Neilus McAuliffe took it over.

I'm in West Limerick and Listowel has traditionally been our local go-to mart. But the previous manager stayed on too long imo, and didn't have the appetite for it in recent times. Hence, we started going to Castleisland. Thers's a new man at the helm in Listowel now, and he's sound, but has a tough job on his hands. Lots have been way down compared to Castleisland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Adam in Castleisland is a great addition too. In hindsight he's lucky to have jumped ship from Mauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Listowel is after dropping off some amount in a few years, I'd always go there in the spring but it wasn't worth my while this year it was so small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Some amount of Bullocks in Carnaross today, must be over 1000 lots. There is another 5 to 6 hours of selling to go yet.. but in fairness last week was nearly as bad and prices stayed strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭DBK1

I don’t know anything about Listowel mart but I think it’s a bit harsh to say they’re authors of their own downfall for not calling to yards to look at cattle.

That’s a service that would be completely unheard of outside of Gortatlea and a few of its neighbouring competitors.

It’s probably a service that shouldn’t be necessary either. What benefit really are you going to gain by having someone look at them in the yard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭50HX

I hear what you are saying but imo listowel is on a downward slide with the last 10+years

It's highly competitive in kerry with marts, they make their money on commission so yeah they should be canvassing for sales imo, Richard harnett was doin in castleisland 30 years ago

It doesn't happen in other counties as there is less/no competition eg killmallock have some area to themselves bar a calf sale in drom

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is much more problems in Listowel. They actually have decent auctioneers. However last time I saw two of the regular family members stand in front of a lad bidding.

As well I hate going there to collect cattle if you got it at the end of the mart most if the loading points are blocked by a couple of regulars who park there trucks and trailers there before paying. You could be waiting 20-30 minutes to get a loading bay and 5-6 of them blocked up.

Slava Ukrainii

Yea them type of things are things that definitely will drive buyers away and I’d have no sympathy for a mart manager allowing things like that to happen and losing business then. I just thought it was a bit harsh to take business away for not canvassing for cattle when it’s a very rare service countrywide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have to disagree with you about calling to yards to look at cattle, mart owners/ managers do it to take photos for Facebook and see the cattle for to get business and to know the type of cattle to inform buyers what is coming to the sale, three marts I buy in will inform us when our type of cattle are coming to the sale, dumb priest never won no parish. A good owner/ manager will miss no chance to do business as opens lots of other doors in a auctioneers business, land setting, farm sales, house rentals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭morphy87

You had good weights, I just looked back at one of your videos from 6 months ago, I presume that they were some of the stock you sold today, fine looking stock

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭QA1

mauty can’t be in 2 rings at the one time how ever good he still can’t do that of all the cattle sold there I’d say he surely buys between 10 and 20 % every week and sends them on to people he gets into the hauliers and agents with a few €50 gets the name and numbers and game over Mauty is the man Adam wouldn’t lace his boots

• Advertisement

Normally that would just be for special sales, breeding heifers, that type of thing.

Do you mind me asking what benefit you think there is of having someone call to the yard before going to the mart? The stock will be sold to the highest bidder on the day and the lads bidding won’t know if someone has seen them in your yard or not so it seems like a completely pointless service that will only waste the farmers and the mart managers time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

Still going strong after 1am, did it go on much longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Mauty has stood in my yard a few times, so has Adam, one of them is welcome to call anytime and that's Adam, some fella's love the sh*t Mauty fills them with, that's only my opinion others are welcome to theirs. I have to say Neilus was firing out the smart comments during the weanling heifer sale yesterday, probably no need for it but still was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Is this an evening mart that's going on until 2am?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

The one in carnaross started at 11 in the morning and went on until after 2am

The bull sale started at 5 this evening and there are still 230 bulls left to be sold. It’ll be another late one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@SuperTortoise there was about 900 lots of bullocks in it yesterday at 50 lots an hour it was actually good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

God almighty that's an awful carry on, imagine bringing a beast out to the mart before breakfast and waiting until breakfast the next morning to sell her!

Seriously, what's the attraction there for either the buyer or seller? I'm not familiar with that side of the country is there no other mart within 50 miles or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I’ve gone back to Delvin partly for that reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Dunedin

From the midlands here so zero local knowledge of the mart but I’d be thinking the very same as you.

planting the farm would seem a better option than that craic.

where does animal welfare sit in all this?

Advertisement