Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engagement Ring - FACTS, not fiction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

@ Unwilling

The cost versus result conundrum is up to you and your partner. Go forth and do the right thing for you ;)[/quote]

Intothesea

But that is easier said than done. I am just so afraid of buying this beautiful ring and finding out that if I'd have waited a month I'd have found it on line, or in Dubai, or in South Africa for cheaper!!
    It's not that we don't have the money, it's that I want VALUE for my money.
    Just cause I have it doesn't mean I want to spend 5k on something I could get elsewhere for 3k!

Why also is having a CERT so important... if you buy from a well known reputable jeweler who make their own rings... is their in house certification not sufficient!?

Greeno - it looks lovely. I'm sure she will love it forever... just like you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Unwilling wrote: »
    @ Unwilling

It's not that we don't have the money, it's that I want VALUE for my money.
    Just cause I have it doesn't mean I want to spend 5k on something I could get elsewhere for 3k!

The options are there to make a saving as long as you can tolerate the relative risk for the results.

Keep in mind that the further you go to make a saving, the more you shake up local concerns and their cartel-style pricing schemes. In this sense buying abroad or online is a small step towards forcing local retailers to cut the 200 to 300% margins on average (by this I mean not particularly high-end spec) jewellery. Seeking value for money deflates the cash balloon for all the other engagement couples arriving in your wake. Well worth the effort if you care about retail condition in Ireland as well as getting a good deal :) Apologies if you happen to work in jewellery sales -- I can't tow a line to suit anyone there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Intothesea wrote: »
    But what if she wakes up and finds a bone-fide ring sizer on her hand?! :pac:

Great tip, never knew those things existed!

Then a man's gotta lot of explaining to do !! Maybe she won't know what it is either? !!

Seriously though, you could make a circle out of it using its normal slider and then make sure its the exact same as the ring.

Unwilling wrote: »

Why also is having a CERT so important... if you buy from a well known reputable jeweler who make their own rings... is their in house certification not sufficient!?

Sorry for the delay with this. In-house certification is a bigger issue with on-line sales entities, on the basis that a misrepresented stone is much harder to send back and have addressed (i.e. a swindling online outfit probably won't even acknowledge your queries when you realise the 'mistake'). This is why only well-known online vendors are to be trusted. With bricks-and-mortar reputable shops there's always the option to walk back in after the appraisal and bring up your concerns (or insist on a stone-switch etc.), so the in-house certification is not so big a deal in that case. Hope that answers the question! :)

@ An rí: let's hope a sudden wakening would mean dopey-headedness in either case ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

Have a friend who asked me about this and was unsure basically ring is a G.L.G. .33cts. 750gold clarity. Ii Colour I. Make SYMMETRICAL. Cut VERY GOOD.
    PAID $890 Was this good or bad amount to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maurafagan1982

Just wondering if there are any jewellers which offer payment plans on engagement rings?

Hello there. I don't know of any jewellers off hand who offer this, though it seems to be quite common online probably only as a sweetener for online purchasing. Your best bet is to ring a few jewellers you're interested in and ask. Look out for your local independent jewellers' terms and conditions. The chances are that a remote prospective buyer will be told of less options than someone in the shop with chosen ring and a credit card :) If you're interested in negotiating a better price there's also a good chance that payment plan options will disappear. For this reason I'd go the credit union/bank route and shop with the advantage of having substantial cash in hand -- discounts are easier to approach then. HTH :)

I picked it.. it's my own bloody fault.
    But a week after announcing our engagement, and sleepless nights, I've finally come to the conclusion that whilst the ring is fabulous... it's not for me.
    WHAT THE F*&K do I do now!!!! It was too expensive to put into a drawer as a keep sake... but do I suck it up and wear it for the rest of my life, knowing its not for me!?!?!?

Christ almight what have I done!!!:(

• Advertisement

Don't panic!! ;) If you're compelled to buy a ring after trying it on it usually is the right purchase. It might just take some time to get used to a permanent piece of symbolic jewellery if you had no rings beforehand. If your issue is with the ring itself (doesn't suit, wrong stones, wrong shape), I'm sure your jeweller will do whatever he can to sort it out for you in the shape of an exchange at least. How about giving it another week of constant wearing and thinking about your next move then? The best of luck :)

So after much discussion with my FIANCE who is the most wonderful man in the world - he is going to phone the jewelers tomorrow to ascertain what can be done to sort out my mess.

What can we expect from a reputable jewelers by way of exchange, refund, etc.?
    I know they have ONE other ring that I liked, but it was more expensive. And to be honest I think we spent enough if not to much already. So I'm reluctant to do that. But it's a VS1 so i though maybe if they had the same but an S1 it would bring the price down a notch.

But that is all details... in terms of customer service, unhappy fiances with brand new 4k engagement rings... Will they be accomodating and understanding... do they refund. would the refund us the difference if we chose a cheaper ring...........

Any advise very welcome - just so we dont get screwed over on our mistake....

THANK YOU

Because your jeweller didn't specifically make the ring for you there's every chance that a return is doable. A full refund is probably off the cards though, according to:

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Print-versions-of-guides/NCA-shopping-guide.html

From this a full refund is only enforceable when an item is defective. But as jewellers I'm sure they've had to swap rings out for the suddenly dissatisfied many times before :) Technically they probably don't have any duty to refund the difference on a cheaper ring but this is one area where your personal connection with the jeweller might literally pay off (for once ;))

Having a new ring made up that's closer to the total you paid originally is also a good option, but still probably dependent on the whims of your jeweller. Moving from VS to SI1 won't present any difference to your eyes if the stones are well-chosen, which you can count on. The best of luck with the new deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

Just wondering if there are any jewellers which offer payment plans on engagement rings?

We do offer this, and I'm pretty sure that it's common practice.

I just wanted to say thank you for all your help and advise, particularly Fey and Intothesea
    After my little freak out I went back to the jewelers who were extremely accomodating and very helpful. They had no issue showing me the other ring that was a contender and although it was more expensive the reduced it a further 200euro.

That said when I went in and tried it on beside my own there was just no contest. MINE my own original one is FABULOUS. I don't know what I was thinking.

I think I just got overwhelmed and irrational.

So it was all a big deal and big drama over NOTHING.

I madly inlove now with my engagement ring and look forward to wearing it for the rest of my life

THANK YOU TO YOU ALL for your help, patience, co-operation and compassion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

hi there - wow this has been a long but very educational 22 pages :D anyway i just wanted to get some advice if i can. we went looking for ''el ring'' for the first time yesterday. i had seen a few i liked the shape of online and went into a few shops in galway.
    i got a much better idea of what i don't like, but the main problem i had is that i have quite big fingers and none, NOT ONE of the rings i did try on would fit over the knuckle of my ring finger. it's so hard to get an idea of what something i would wear for the rest of my life would look like when it's precariously balanced on my little fingernail :o does anyone have any idea how to get round this for the next time we go looking??

also - i did see one i liked. i don't really like the traditional narrow band and diamond thing and would prefer just one ring intead of a diamond and wedding ring so was thinking along the lines of this: [not in that shop, mind but it's the same ring in white gold] but it was ooh - about €2,000 over our budget!:(

my question is - can i just bring a photo of this to a jeweller/designer and say ''make me this within my budget''? obviously i would be comprimising on the quality of the diamonds, but how do i know what the diamonds will look like before i comission it and see it finished?? does anyone have any advice on who i could seek out to talk to about making such a ring and could a designer give me a ball park figure just by looking at a photo?? any help or advice much appreciated!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭ironmonkey

Hey Fey,
    Read your initial sticky and a few pages and then skipped ahead so apologies if you have answered this or said that you don't answer individual queries before but here goes.

I got a ring for her good self abroad - solitare set in white gold. Proposed she was delighted - all good. The difficulty is that I got the size wrong by 1 - I got k and shes J. Also the shank is not circular but more like an apex with four claws. We got it resized and it fit very well but then she dropped it and broke one of the claws (D'oH!). We got this temporarily fixed but I'm not happy thats it's right / safe to hold the stone.

After a long winded intro where do recommend to get the ring rebuilt, will it be possible to get the original shank replicated and if so would you recommend platinum as stronger than white gold?

Cheers cheques in the post!

artyeva wrote: »
    my question is - can i just bring a photo of this to a jeweller/designer and say ''make me this within my budget''? obviously i would be comprimising on the quality of the diamonds, but how do i know what the diamonds will look like before i comission it and see it finished?? does anyone have any advice on who i could seek out to talk to about making such a ring and could a designer give me a ball park figure just by looking at a photo?? any help or advice much appreciated!!!

Hello there. You can take any inspiration you like into a goldsmith/independent jeweller and ask for ideas on what's possible and for how much :)

Here's a list of goldsmiths in Ireland:

http://www.localpages.ie/category.aspx?category=Silversmiths%20%26%20Goldsmiths

When asking for a quote you can specify the kind of cut, colour and clarity you'd like your diamonds to have, as well as okay them before the project is started. You can lay out your expectations for communication etc. and see how they're received before committing to the deal, nae worries ;) The ring you have in mind there is fairly unusual and quite a bit of work to build compared to a standard solitaire type. There's a very good chance that you'll beat the quoted price, but maybe not by a huge amount -- all you can do is price away and survey the results. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Mia84

Hi there,

I think I have lost the certificate for my engagement ring. I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find it. Even worse is that the shop my fiance bought it in has now closed down so I can't go back to them for help.

Any ideas on what I can do? I have been told that I need the cert to get the ring valued for our insurance.

Thanks a mill!

Hello there. A new evaluation is all you need for insurance coverage. There are two types of valuation service: the unusual where a set charge is paid per piece (as here: http://www.dublinjewelleryvaluations.ie/) and here: http://www.jewelleryvaluationsireland.ie/jewellers/) and the standard, where a set price is added to a percentage of the estimated value (typical in most jewellers). Check with the valuer beforehand that the report will be suitable for your particular insurance brokerage. :)

ironmonkey wrote: »

After a long winded intro where do recommend to get the ring rebuilt, will it be possible to get the original shank replicated and if so would you recommend platinum as stronger than white gold?

Hello there. Not sure if you've had any word on this but if the repaired prong is bothering you you can take it to an independent jeweller or jewellery repair centre (as here: http://www.fastfix.com/locations/ireland.htm) for inspection. If there is no air-gap between stone and prong (check with a 10X loupe); and if the prong is the same metal type as the shank; and you can't see any obvious joins or blobs of solder or generally messy finishing work, it's most likely a-OK :) In general platinum is a much denser and tougher metal than gold, but tends not to be such a bright shiny white as white gold. You would have to find a willing gold/platinum-smith to approach the re-make. Here's a starting list of goldsmiths in Ireland:

http://www.localpages.ie/category.aspx?category=Silversmiths%20%26%20Goldsmiths

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 engaging

I've just started searching for an engagement ring but I'm determined to get the best value for my money.

If its true that cash sales in Antwerp are tax free then it seems difficult for any other option to compete. Has anyone gone there and NOT been offered or were refused this discount?

My impression is that prices in Antwerp are fairly comparable to those online, however with online purchases the tax is unavoidable. Has anyone gotten around these issues or found a source cheap enough that they overcome the tax difference?

Any feedback is welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Jump

ok so after reading all the advice on this thread i'm thinking about flying over to antwerp to buy the ring- any last words of advice for me folks- everything appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 101010

Going to pop the question very soon. I have a temp ring while I wait for her to pick out the real thing.

The thing is that we'll be abroad and I'd like to get it there (more bang for buck) and I'm not sure how clued in she is as to what she should be looking out for and as she isnt expecting it at least one of us should be clued in.

Any hints? All I have read so far is the 4 c's

Going to antwerp and the budget is about €3000 max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

101010 wrote: »
    Going to pop the question very soon. I have a temp ring while I wait for her to pick out the real thing.

The thing is that we'll be abroad and I'd like to get it there (more bang for buck) and I'm not sure how clued in she is as to what she should be looking out for and as she isnt expecting it at least one of us should be clued in.

Any hints? All I have read so far is the 4 c's

Going to antwerp and the budget is about €3000 max

Read this first:

Have you ever tried to sell a diamond?

And if your appetite is whetted, read the fuller version. It's a fascinating, not to say eye-opening tale..

4C's is 4 Con?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PrideandLuna

Hi Guys,

Just got engaged!!!!!!!!!

Looking at rings at the moment on Diamonds-usa, have any of you ever dealt with them? Also is k too low down the colour scale? Should I be looking G or H instead? I have to sacrifice something!

At the moment I'm looking at a diamond that is just over a carat round K vs2 ideal cut is that acceptible? Saw the same setting in dundrum with .80ct D vs2 for €10,995, but then I don't know how much the colour "should" effect the price? Will I notice the difference when it's on my hand?

I know you will all say go to Anthwerp but I cant take time off work at the moment and weekends are out too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 taraod18

hiya i was wondering if any one could help me my husband got me a yellow gold engagement ring but now i wear more silver jewellery, iv heard it isnt possible to get it changed to white gold but can be rdodium plated? does any one know about this and where i could get it done?

Just wondering what peoples experiences are paying for their engagement ring with cash - a bit nervous carring around alot of €€ on me - how much of a discount do you get paying the by cash as opposed to credit card ?

Do you get any discount for part payment by cash?

Off there in a couple of weeks - thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Jump wrote: »
    Just wondering what peoples experiences are paying for their engagement ring with cash - a bit nervous carring around alot of €€ on me - how much of a discount do you get paying the by cash as opposed to credit card ?

Do you get any discount for part payment by cash?

Off there in a couple of weeks - thanks

I was just over there. Had money on the CC. Took it out over a couple of days. Was charged €9.30 a pop. Well worth

If you need a name of some one over there. PM me . Some great places.

Debating over rock - 1.53 carat, G, SI2, V Good cut

Hung up a bit about SI2 - should i be? Can see black dots under the loop

any advice?

Hello there. I think black carbon crystals would eventually get to someone with eyesight good enough to make them out. SI2 is usually a tricky proposition for eye-cleanliness and you can bet that an engagement ring will be under intense and consistent scrutiny from the newly-engaged party. Can you make them out without help now that you know where they're located?

In general I wouldn't go for this level of inclusion -- SI1 is a much better bet (if inclusions are feathers at the periphery and so hide-able with a prong, or twinning wisps are white and small cavities are on the underside or pavilion). If the carat weight is brought under and close to 1.5 (e.g. 1.46ct) the price should fall enough to make the SI1 jump more approachable. Do you have any other options open?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kkd

Yes, VAT will be collected by the courier who delivers the package. The courier company cannot release goods without collecting VAT.

Hello there. In the second post on this page: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055031792&page=19 there's an example calculation for import tax and VAT. It might still be worth doing depending on what you stand to save. Importing directly from Antwerp is do-able without paying any further VAT at least. Of the board-accredited jewelers there, this one: http://www.diamondlandselection.com/rings has finished, photographed pieces for sale. You could ask the rest (http://www.adja.be/frammembers.htm) for pictures and descriptions and work from there.

It's probably not that safe to use the opposite hand measurement to get it exactly right. Some people can differ by up to 1 - 1.5 sizes between hands -- so if you're going for a more complex setting (one with diamonds on the shoulders etc.) you should probably try to get it exact. If the setting is plain (i.e. solitaire) you can get away with far more; you can ask the jeweller what he thinks the limitations are for sizing up and down and if it's within 1 or two sizes, you could use the right-hand measurement. Anyway HTH :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Rutigur

Right, I've got all the other aspects of the grand proposal plan in motion....now it's time to sort out the ring :D

Intothesea, keyes and Fey - thanks much for all the incredibly helpful input into this thread - it's really helped me get my head around (at least a little) what is a pretty complex subject!

First question for me is whether or not to have the ring purchased and with me at the time of the proposal, or do I go with a temporary ring and then purchase together?

I've no inkling of what her preferences are, though any jewellery I've bought for down through the years has been very well received so I generally do a decent job on her tastes, though she's likely to have particular preferences in mind for her engagement ring. Would running it by her sister be a smart move or generally a no-no? I have another female friend I can talk to get the female view without risking anything leaking, though I'm all ears for thoughts.

I'm liking the idea of purchasing from either BlueNile or VoltaireDiamonds - the BlueNile returns policy makes me almost think that there's very little to lose by purchasing it to have on the day and if she doesn't like it, just send it back at no loss. Or am I missing something on that? If I send it back, can I get the same diamond taken off that ring and mounted on another setting? I'd just chance it by sizing one of her rings from her drawer and using that, again on the basis that if it doesn't work out, we can change or get resized.

If we're to get the real ring after the proposal, it'd be less romantic to sit there browsing the web for it, though I still wouldn't rule it out if she likes the idea, and it'd help inform us for price range expectations/negotiations etc.

So, I've a budget of €5k-€7k in mind. I'm not interested in hearing comments on whether I should or shouldn't spend that much: she wouldn't expect that much but thankfully I'm in a position to afford it and I just love the idea of bowling her over with a great ring that she'll stare at forever.

Just as a first step, I selected this diamond and with a fairly standard platinum setting (£750), it comes to €6.5k inc VAT (£5.6k). It's 0.95 carat, Ideal cut, VS2 clarity, and its colour is F.

I think a round stone might be best as it will allow flexibility in mounting. I defintely don't want any visible inclusions (once its mounted at least), but would it be a better idea to go with a SI1 and ask for BlueNile gemologist to pick one that has no inclusions visible to the eye?

I selected F colour as it's supposed to be the first of the colourless options - smart move or would G be better?

0.95 carat doesn't sound that big for that kind of money so maybe I've overspecced it, I do want it to have instant wow factor so appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭roseym

Rutigur wrote: »

First question for me is whether or not to have the ring purchased and with me at the time of the proposal, or do I go with a temporary ring and then purchase together?

Hi Rutigur,
    My other half proposed to me last year with a dummy ring and I am so happy he did it that way. Not being a rings girl, I really didn't know what I wanted. When I first went to look at rings I had it in my head that I wanted a single stone, simple and classic, but when I tried that type of ring on it really didn't suit my hand. After a lot of shopping around, I ended up deciding on a graduated trilogy ring, which we had made up by 77diamonds.com for significantly less than what was being charged by standard jewellers.
    That said, if he had given me the "real" ring on the day, I would have loved it just the same because of what it symbolises, it just might not have matched up with my taste as well.

I say go with the dummy. Best of luck with it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Rutigur wrote: »
    So, I've a budget of €5k-€7k in mind. I'm not interested in hearing comments on whether I should or shouldn't spend that much: she wouldn't expect that much but thankfully I'm in a position to afford it and I just love the idea of bowling her over with a great ring that she'll stare at forever.

Considering how much you intend to spend Rutigur, have you considered Antwerp?
    If you are going to spend that much, why not have it designed exactly for her.
    My fella brought me over there last month and not only will you get a custom made, exactly to her specs ring, but you would also get a couple of days in a great little city with a beautiful Old Town full of little bars and restaurants.
    A very memorable experience and could all be paid for within the amount you have stated above.

Rutigur, it sounds like you're off to a very good start with all this ;) If you keep the cut to Signature Ideal it's possible to bring the colour to G (or maybe even to H if you have a sense of your girlfriend's colour-sensitivity in stones) -- a great cut mounted, as you say, will look untinted. The other issue is that BN's gemologists can only assess the signature ideal stones, as the rest are 'drop shipped' (i.e. only owned on paper). With the return period I would try to score a signature ideal or ideal (discarding possibilities with HCA test and consulting gemologists), G, VS2 (for ideal) and SI1 for signature ideal. Or you could take a chance on a HCA-tested ideal G or H SI1 (you could throw the stones up here for some ideas on how the inclusions might work out in real life, though in all actuality, there's no way to 100% predict the effect they might have).

As for when the 'wow' factor kicks in (in Dublin) these days, I think it may be the 1 to 1.2 carat mark. The other determining factor is the size of your girlfriend's fingers, for ratio. You're right to keep the setting simple as BN are willing to swap out a stone if you're not happy with it within 30 days. If you decide to do a gemologist evaluation of SI1s, ring the Irish HQ and ask for a comparison, tell them what your criteria are for eye-cleanliness and so on. Heading to Antwerp is an excellent idea as well. OK, hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Rutigur

Thanks for the info folks.

Am starting to lean more towards Antwerp. We fly into Paris on a Thursday, I plan on proposing on the Friday, we have a ball to go to Saturday evening, and we fly out Monday.

I'll have a look and see what taking a train from Paris to Antwerp involves, but I've read on here some of the 5 recommended jewellers in Antwerp aren't open on Saturdays - are they open Sundays? Will check which are open Saturdays and see if that would work out. Up and back to Antwerp in one day sounds tight, but if there's only 2 or 3 places to see, is it doable?

The jewellers in Antwerp consider themselves professionals. They work Mon to Fri. Not weekends.
    The TGV from Paris to Antwerp takes less than a couple of hrs.

Price wise, you'll get much more for your money in Antwerp. They are 40/50% cheaper than Ireland.

• Advertisement

Sounds like everything is on track there, the BN price comparison is probably the best sign that the deal is fair, for this location. Other jewellers to compare your final spec choice include John Brereton: http://www.johnbreretonjewellers.ie/#/http://www.johnbreretonjewellers.ie/Engagement_Rings/Solitaires; Diamonds and Gold: http://www.diamondsandgoldireland.com/pages/solitaire.htm, and Barry Doyle (independent jeweller): http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/barrydoyledesignjewellers/topic/topic-72405-1.stm. Good luck with the purchase :)

Hello Sofaqueen. These guys seem to be HQ'ed in India and don't have any standard certification for their stones. This means there's no way to know the overall quality of the stone on offer -- though maybe this isn't important to you given the amount to be saved cf a typical 0.7ct in Ireland? They have a 30-day return policy if the stone's a dud (J's can look quite yellow with an OK cut and SI2 can have easily visible inclusions in them) -- though I wouldn't trust any of this without calling them first and hinting that you know a little bit about diamonds in general.

Questions I'd throw at them would be: who certifies the stones (expect the answer to be them); what kind of cut-grades would AGS or GIA give the stones (expect to get 'good' or 'very good' as an answer); can they examine particular stones for you to check for eye-cleanliness (i.e. do they have them in stock), expect either 'they're all eye-clean' or variations on 'you get what you pay for'.

I'd put in a nice request for a not-so-tinted J eye-clean-ish SI2, and see what comes back -- you could well score a good deal for a stone you can be happy with, you never know. Who dares wins ;) The 30-day return is your safety net. Should it work out positively I'd love to see the results here. There is a similar outfit in Dublin (though their prices are closer to average): http://caratz.ie/index.php. Ok, HTH :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

Intothesea
    Many thanks for your reply.
    I had a read of the info on treated stones that you linked.

I asked the ebay seller if the stones in the ring im watching are treated, coloured or enhanced in any way and he replied that they were not treated in any way - "all natural non enhanced"

Its very difficult to grasp the size of the stones in any ring from a picture.
    If there are approx 20-22 stones in the ring with a combined weight of 2.2ct then each would be 10points each? right?

What size would they be in mm and what would you recommend would be the lowest I should go in terms of clarity and colour?

Personally I think its pointless paying massive sums for flawless diamonds in a ring where they won't stand out IYKWIM.
    I understand paying for the stone when its the solitare in an engagement ring but in an eternity ring Im just wondering what the best 'comprimise' I should make with the 4c's.

Basically I want something that I can't hope to afford in this country:D

Sorry for all the questions, but I do appreciate your feedback and unbiased view.
    Many thanks again

Newwifey, I'd still like to steer you away from these guys, just on the basis that I can't find anyone online giving positive reviews for quality outside of their e-bay account. One group I can recommend are: http://www.idjewelryonline.com/index.php?cPath=22_53. They're in the diamond district of NY, you can call and talk to the main man Yekutiel or his cohort Luann and set out roughly what you want and how much you'd like to pay. Importing will add on another 23/24 per cent, but I'm sure you know there's still megabucks to be saved then ;)

10 pointers are approx. 3mm wide if they're properly cut. In this size you could go as far as I colour and definitely SI1 without trouble -- ask for stones that are 'sparkly and eye-clean at 10 inches' and you'll be a-okay :) You're right that at some point it's not worth paying over the odds for near perfection -- especially for non-engagement rings with smaller stones. Sorry I didn't come up with this yesterday, I've dealt with ID before but never realised what was floating around in their eternity band section -- and for how much! Best of luck with the deal if you decide to go for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

Intothesea
    Thanks very much for the info. Loads of beauties on that site also. Will have a proper look tonight when all the little people are in bed. My aunt lives in NY and will be visiting us soon. You would never know what kind of pressies she might bring home in her bag ;)

Thanks so much for your time in replying
    Sinead

• Registered Users Posts: 8 prety

Hi. Intothesea, fey and any other expert.I just got engaged recently and my fiance is going to get me a diamond ring. I would like it in F or G coulor, vvs, v good cut ,1 carat solitaire diamond ring on platinum. I have not decide wether pricess or pear or round cut yet. Because I have v small hands. What shape do you recomend? how much do you think it is going to cost? I am thinking about travelling to Dubai,antwerp or O'conor in dublin. but I also love the tiffiny and catier ring too. Could you tell me why tiffiny and catier rings are more expensive? Is it because it is better diamond or just the design? All dimond have GIA cert. Is that mean it does not matter where I go to buy it as long as they have the GIA cert mean that they are genuine? Thanks! :)

• Advertisement

Hello Prety. Congratulations on your engagement :) The best way to figure out which shape suits you is to try on different rings, any good jeweller will be happy to help you out. Round is the most traditional shape, then princess and then pear (the most unusual). A pear will appear to be bigger for the same carat weight because of the way it holds weight, while a princess looks a bit smaller than a same carat round.

If high clarity (VVS) isn't a cultural issue for you you could go to VS2 or maybe even SI1 and still have a lovely eye-clean stone. For a 1 carat F or G round in Antwerp you can check typical prices here: http://www.diamondland.be/shop/en/search.php?q=diamond-store; in Dublin you might expect between 7 to 10K, though in general jewellers' stock in Ireland tends not to be such high clarity (i.e. is VS and SI1). I'm not sure what the deals are like in Dubai, but they're sure to be good -- as long as you do some homework beforehand and go to a trusted jeweller there.

It might be worth to pay extra for the brand name if it's important to you -- the quality of stones in Cartier and Tiffany are better than general jeweller stock for cut-quality. The settings are usually better made, but not by the amount you'd expect for the price difference ;) One way to get excellent cut grade is to buy with GIA cert and look out for Excellent or Very Good -- though there is a lot of variation in how this might look. In the end you have to use your eyes and compare stones side by side close to natural daylight. A GIA cert means the stone will cost a bit more than uncerted, but you can identify it (or have a jeweller identify it for you) and it's a way to be sure of its details. Any decent jeweller will have the main stone of a solitaire graded by a decent lab. These are GIA, AGS, HRD and to lesser degree IGI and EGL America (not Europe).

If you're interested in high-quality cut (better than average Tiffany etc. cut) you can check out these guys: http://www.precious.ie/ -- they specialise in ideal-cut stones. Okay, hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 prety

Intothesea, thanks very much for your advice. I will let you know if I get one. cheers:)

ok well the ring is 18 carat whilte gold, 1/2 carat bezel/rubover set centre diamond, and 24 round brilliant cut diamonds on the shoulders and around the bezel - total weight 0.24 carat. The specs of the centre diamond are VS1, G colour, round brilliant cut. Ring size O.

In the original shop I found it in here in Mayo, the ring they were offering was H colour. They were willing to reduce their tag price by only €230 when I asked for the best price. I found it on a few online retailers, best price I could find at the time was 25% less than the shop's tag price, Voltaire's quote was 45% less than the shop.

Hope that helps. As I said on thread I was just so impressed by the whole thing - you get to view his range of ring designs at your own pace, in a relaxed atmosphere. Never, in all the shops we went to, were we offered a private viewing room, or given what I would call ''enough'' time. It was in - look us up and down* - try and upsell - and out. :(

*we dress ''casual indie'' rather than ''moneyed chic'' :D

interesting article from conor pope in the times today.

i for one didn't know that's what ''enhanced'' meant in relation to diamonds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

This thread is about engagement rings but so far it only seems to be about diamonds. Anyway, I've just got engaged and I'm looking for a engagement ring with a heart shaped ruby and a couple of tiny diamonds (cubic zircona even - I wouldn't mind) set on a white gold band. Is there anything like that out there or should I just be looking at "normal" rings? Also, just wondering what the price of a heart shape ruby would be in comparison to a diamond (similar size stone).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement