Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

Hey guys! Guess it's noses back to the grindstone now! Just wondering if anyone had any up-to-date Tort and EU exam grids they'd be willing to share. Have Criminal and Contract exam grids to trade! PM me :)

Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

Just wondering what people’s thoughts would be on sitting 2 FE1s in August? Eu and tort, I had intended on sitting these in October but I’m beginning to to look at sitting them in August and then 3 and 3.I’m a commerce student I majored law and would have done EU law last but never tort. Would 8 weeks be enough time to start tort from scratch and revise EU? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mmullen

Coulter97 wrote: »
    apply

Really unhelpful, pointless comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mmullen

Healyjhow wrote: »
    Just wondering what people’s thoughts would be on sitting 2 FE1s in August? Eu and tort, I had intended on sitting these in October but I’m beginning to to look at sitting them in August and then 3 and 3.I’m a commerce student I majored law and would have done EU law last but never tort. Would 8 weeks be enough time to start tort from scratch and revise EU? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

Get manuals sorted and go for it! Tort is a long course, 8 weeks is definitely needed for that. If you’ve never done it before it just depends on how capable you are at grasping the concepts and then learning off a lot of cases. You won’t know unless you try, but you have enough time and there’s a (fairly) good chance you’ll get them if you really apply yourself - think how relieved you’d be if you got them both and give it your best shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Fe1newbie wrote: »
    Anyone started studying for August yet? Or when do people plan on doing so

I’m only doing Tort as I did EU in March, have my notes made so won’t be starting until early-mid July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

mmullen wrote: »
    Really unhelpful, pointless comment.

Asking "Any advice on getting a traineeship" without any background, context, or specific query is similarly an unhelpful question/comment.

mmullen wrote: »
    Get manuals sorted and go for it! Tort is a long course, 8 weeks is definitely needed for that. If you’ve never done it before it just depends on how capable you are at grasping the concepts and then learning off a lot of cases. You won’t know unless you try, but you have enough time and there’s a (fairly) good chance you’ll get them if you really apply yourself - think how relieved you’d be if you got them both and give it your best shot.
    Thank you very much for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

woodyman wrote: »
    I have been looking through case note questions for EU and they seem somewhat predictable with many popular cases rotating every few years. I reckon its worth having as a backup at least.

Could anyone recommend where to get the material for case notes as the manuals are quite slim on individual cases

I’m thinking the exact same as you but don’t k ow where to start. How many cases would you need to cover? Have any cases come up 2/3 sitting in a row?

woodyman wrote: »
    I have been looking through case note questions for EU and they seem somewhat predictable with many popular cases rotating every few years. I reckon its worth having as a backup at least.

Could anyone recommend where to get the material for case notes as the manuals are quite slim on individual cases?

I’m thinking the exact same as you but don’t k ow where to start. How many cases would you need to cover? Have any cases come up 2/3 sitting in a row?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

I am looking for a TraineeShip. Passed all fe1s. Have experience in law firm. Have tried ringing and emailing but getting very little response. Would like one outside of Dublin as I’m doing the hybrid course option. Any guidance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Anyone just not studying rn? Just have tort in August and feeling like it’s too early to look at anything

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Hi. I am finding EU extremely difficult to grasp. I was wondering if anyone has EU notes made and willing to pass on. I am willing to pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

So I got my constitution script yesterday, I knew I did 2 not so great but really thought I had answered 3 good questions. The 1st property question I was sured I did really well, I did Griffith course and based on their answers and it should have been sufficient for a least a pass but I only got 8! and the part questions I thought I did really well on only got 6 per q. Anyway I hadnt applied for a recheck but I did yesterday on the off chance that I would still be allowed and they accepted it. So anyone waiting on their scripts there is still hope! I got 46 in Const so all I need is another 4. I dont understand these results at all compared to university, I got a first in my degree with a lot less work then these exams.

Anyone have an EU grid handy for me?

Anyone have an EU grid handy for me?

Yep send on your email

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TillyG

Does anyone have the March 2020 exam paper for Criminal and Equity?

Would I be right in thinking EU seems very repetitive? Are people only studying the repetitive topics or would that be considered very risky?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

Am looking for criminal lecturer recommendations if anyone found one of the schools particularly good could you PM me please? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

Healyjhow wrote: »
    Would I be right in thinking EU seems very repetitive? Are people only studying the repetitive topics or would that be considered very risky?

I'd recommend having a basic grasp of all the topics, but I always focus my learning more on the repetitive topics. You'll find closer to the day, everyone will start trying to predict what's going to come up :)

There's nothing to stop examiners just deciding to throw a spanner in the works and change it all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

I am looking for a TraineeShip. Passed all fe1s. Have experience in law firm. Have tried ringing and emailing but getting very little response. Would like one outside of Dublin as I’m doing the hybrid course option. Any guidance?

The basic advice would be to keep an eye on the law society's website, maybe upload your CV on the trainee portal and look up local firms to see if they have some form of graduate programme.. Think it will be difficult to source a traineeship outside of Dublin at the moment and might be better poised to search for a legal clerk position and try to establish connections that might lead to a traineeship which would seem to be the most common way traineeships are secured outside of urban areas in Ireland.. No easy answer just have to keep knocking on doors but if you are established within the local area, you will hear of more opportunities. Hope that helps in some way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

Hi guys, haven't been on in a few weeks but wondering if anyone heard back from law society re rescheduled exams (other than the two that actually are rescheduled)? I didn't sit as myself and family members would've been in a very risky position had we contracted covid so I didn't feel it was worth it and thought the whole situation would have been as bad as Italy etc.

I emailed law soc but no reply / refund. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 john_fe12020

Hi guys, haven't been on in a few weeks but wondering if anyone heard back from law society re rescheduled exams (other than the two that actually are rescheduled)? I didn't sit as myself and family members would've been in a very risky position had we contracted covid so I didn't feel it was worth it and thought the whole situation would have been as bad as Italy etc.

I emailed law soc but no reply / refund. TIA.

I'm in the same boat, had no contact from Law Society..

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

I've began studying for Tort Law already. I prefer doing a bit every day rather than cramming loads in a small amount of time (I have a part-time job so I won't have the luxury of complete free time when we reopen next week). So in my opinion, speaking on the topic of when to start studying, I'd be on the side of starting asap so you don't leave yourself short of time come August.

I did law for 4 years and I studied Tort 4 years ago so I'm finding it quite easy to understand and grasp as I'm going through the manuals doing my own summised notes. This will be my first FE1 exam so I had decided to make use of a bad situation and go study during the lockdown and sit the August exam, give it my best go and see am I capable of passing the rest. In the words of Michael Jordan "that's all the motivation I needed".

With all that being said I do have a question of my own. I intend on doing just Tort for now in August. That'll leave me 7 left. I *should* do a few in October, hypothetically 3 so I don't leave myself a load to do in March and overdo it and burn myself out. I'm a little worried that if I pass Tort, and don't do 3 in the space between mid-August and early October I will not be eligible for Sep 2021 intake. Is it reasonable to do 3 in that time frame? Or am I rushing it all trying to do all 8 in the space of 8 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Hey! I'm in a similar situation to yourself, studied Law and had been putting the FE1's off for a few years now (as I work full time) and thought I would use the lockdown period to be a bit productive and at least make a start!

I am a newbie so can't comment from past experience!, but from what I've gathered from previous posts and some very helpful messages from boards members, you could reasonably cover 3 in that time frame but it would probably depend on what subjects you go for and also the exam timetable for October sitting when it comes out.

I've seen posts advising that Criminal/Property/Contract are considered some of the 'shorter' subjects in terms of covering all the content, so my plan would be to get stuck into them after August sitting of EU & Tort and make a firm decision whenever the October timetable is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Pc_law

Hi All. I was wondering can someone let me know the topics that came up in the October 2019 sitting of tort? Thanks in advance.

Can anyone tell me if they have noticed case notes on the EU paper come up in consecutive sittings?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Lallers96 wrote: »
    I've began studying for Tort Law already. I prefer doing a bit every day rather than cramming loads in a small amount of time (I have a part-time job so I won't have the luxury of complete free time when we reopen next week). So in my opinion, speaking on the topic of when to start studying, I'd be on the side of starting asap so you don't leave yourself short of time come August.

I did law for 4 years and I studied Tort 4 years ago so I'm finding it quite easy to understand and grasp as I'm going through the manuals doing my own summised notes. This will be my first FE1 exam so I had decided to make use of a bad situation and go study during the lockdown and sit the August exam, give it my best go and see am I capable of passing the rest. In the words of Michael Jordan "that's all the motivation I needed".

With all that being said I do have a question of my own. I intend on doing just Tort for now in August. That'll leave me 7 left. I *should* do a few in October, hypothetically 3 so I don't leave myself a load to do in March and overdo it and burn myself out. I'm a little worried that if I pass Tort, and don't do 3 in the space between mid-August and early October I will not be eligible for Sep 2021 intake. Is it reasonable to do 3 in that time frame? Or am I rushing it all trying to do all 8 in the space of 8 months?

Depends on a few factors. If I were in your situation I’d make sure I chose the lighter subjects for October, eg. Property, Criminal for definite. However EU and constitutional need to be done in two separate sittings, and I’d recommend doing EU first so that leaves you with Property, Criminal and EU for October. If you’re only starting notes for these in mid August, that’s only 6 weeks in total...I don’t think this is enough time.

However, if you were off work or didn’t work at all, I think it would be doable. I took the months of June 2019 to May 2020 off. I passed all my exams and am just waiting to do tort in August.

It’s a personal choice. You could potentially give 2 weeks to each subject ... but I don’t think it’s worth the insane amount of stress the week before they start in October.

Maybe sit 2 in October - then you’ll have 5 for the following March, which is a lot, but if you had all your notes done by January you’d be sorted!

Pc_law wrote: »
    Hi All. I was wondering can someone let me know the topics that came up in the October 2019 sitting of tort? Thanks in advance.

PM me your email, I’ve a copy of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Can anyone tell me if they have noticed case notes on the EU paper come up in consecutive sittings?

I had a look at this the other day. Since Oct '15 (when this examiner started) there have only been 2 cases that have come up more than 50% of the time (Association Belge and Pringle v Ireland), but I did notice that 4 of the 8 cases asked in March '20 had come up in the previous sitting (Oct '19), but that was the largest overlap.

I can send you on my grid if you dm me your email.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

On the Fe-1 application form, it asks the date for when you were granted an exemption from the preliminary examination.

This might sound like a silly question, but where can I get the exemption? I'm still an undergraduate so I don't have a degree yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement