Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

imme wrote: »
    Hockey sticks with socks on
    Nope ...modern hockey sticks don't look like that.

Unless its ice hockey and there is not much of that here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Go back to that Galway bed sit. 2 new photos added to cover the garage door draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

flazio wrote: »
    Go back to that Galway bed sit. 2 new photos added to cover the garage door draft.

Well thats going to make all the difference. Michael Guineys finest curtins.

reported it as well to threshold and rtb as well.

Well you wasted your time, RTB have zero remit over it as it’s really just a room in a house where you will be living with the owners and thus exempt from tenancy law and threshold have no power whatsoever they are just a dodgy, illegal advice giving “charity”.

Can’t believe people would be a low as to trawl through daft and report places, pathetic.

Well you wasted your time, RTB have zero remit over it as it’s really just a room in a house where you will be living with the owners and thus exempt from tenancy law and threshold have no power whatsoever they are just a dodgy, illegal advice giving “charity”.

Can’t believe people would be a low as to trawl through daft and report places, pathetic.
    Sorry, but that place is way beyond defending and an insult to human dignity. A half arsed shower room installation which has become manky, a bit of shelving with a few appliances thrown on top, a bunch of mis matching furniture which look like they were found on the side of the road dumped out in the bog, no insulation or any attempt to make it in anyway a living space instead of a shed. And then to attempt to charge €750 a month to stay there? It's disgusting and fully deserving to be called out.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but that place is way beyond defending and an insult to human dignity. A half arsed shower room installation which has become manky, a bit of shelving with a few appliances thrown on top, a bunch of mis matching furniture which look like they were found on the side of the road dumped out in the bog, no insulation or any attempt to make it in anyway a living space instead of a shed. And then to attempt to charge €750 a month to stay there? It's disgusting and fully deserving to be called out.

But not a thing that can be done by “calling it out” as it’s exempt from any rules which you might try to use against it.

At the end of the day it’s up to a person to decide if they what to live there or not. I wouldn’t but I wouldn’t go running to teacher telling either in fact even the idea of reporting it would be alien to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

But not a thing that can be done by “calling it out” as it’s exempt from any rules which you might try to use against it.

At the end of the day it’s up to a person to decide if they what to live there or not. I wouldn’t but I wouldn’t go running to teacher telling either in fact even the idea of reporting it would be alien to me.

You are essentially telling people to mind their own business and stop telling teacher.

How about you mind your own business and let people report sub-standard properties. Fair enough, you mightn't get anywhere with the complaint, but keeping your mouth shut when something isn't right isn't the way to get the problem solved.

If enough people complain, rules might eventually be changed to ensure that people aren't living in sub-standard rooms in houses. Or possibly the newspapers will pick up on some of these places and shame the owners into improving them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

That is true but if we allow the bar to be set this low where are the protections for the tenants. We will never know what uncertain times we face going ahead. Thee should be a minimum standards for compliance, this landlord should not make it.

Going back on your point that it's just a room in a house.
    Would it not need a door into the rest of the house to be classified as such?
    If it's completely self contained it's essentially a "granny flat" and would have to meet the same standards as any other self contained granny flats.

Going back on your point that it's just a room in a house.
    Would it not need a door into the rest of the house to be classified as such?
    If it's completely self contained it's essentially a "granny flat" and would have to meet the same standards as any other self contained granny flats.

I'm fairly sure the garages in that location are part of the main house and have a direct indoor access.

If I'm wrong on that and the garage isn't attached then it is a normal rental and in fact wont have planning to be used for habitation either. I still wouldnt report it though, loads of very nice self contained units be they log cabins or converted garages are up for rent now and I would not begrudge the owners the oppertunity to make some money and also offer a place to live to people that otherwise would not be there.

This place being discussed is a dump I'm not denying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/16-castlewood-terrace-rathmines-dublin-6/4253124

I don't know what's grimmer about this place:
    The roof that looks like its about to collapse
    The missing wall to what looks like a store room that now doubles up as part of the living room
    The state of the kitchen
    The fact there is no pics of the bathroom or the unnamed little triangle room.
    The complete absence of lights or bulbs
    The damp
    That there appears to be 5 people living in it - 2 bunks and a mattress on the floor
    They want 300k for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

retalivity wrote: »
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/16-castlewood-terrace-rathmines-dublin-6/4253124

The missing wall to what looks like a store room that now doubles up as part of the living room
    The state of the kitchen
    The damp
    That there appears to be 5 people living in it - 2 bunks and a mattress on the floor
    They want 300k for it

That is bad but the estate agents creepy goatee is far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

When I saw that picture, I honestly thought it was a bad photoshop to make the room look bigger but nope, that's actually there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's just under the stairs, they've removed the wooden wall that turns it into a storage area.

I genuinely think that could be a lovely bijou home, the price reflects its location.

When I saw that picture, I honestly thought it was a bad photoshop to make the room look bigger but nope, that's actually there
    The lens the estate agent used would make the inside of a Tardis tool like the inside of an airport terminal building..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The state of the kitchen
    The damp
    They want 300k for it

I'm almost sure that was the home of a national school pal of mine :eek:

"If the walls could talk"
    Well it might help if the property still had some walls.
    I'm no expert on location values, it's a nice enough little starter home but I wouldn't pay anywhere near €300k for the place even if it was built on the grounds of Aras an tUachtarain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

It looks like it's been used as a flop house. You'd probably need to spend at least another 50K to get it looking halfway decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

Pine-tastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

lickalot wrote: »

Bit odd - I wouldn't fancy all that pine myself - but not the worst by a long shot! Nice little house really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Radio from about the 1950s. And some drone shots for good measure :D

Not sure I'd want to live there but otherwise I thought it was quite nice..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

It's a nice house, I love the windows especially! These nonmatching double doors would drive me mad though, and what's with them being above the skirting board! They don't appear to be working doors though going by the floorplan...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Aglomerado wrote: »
    It's a nice house, I love the windows especially! These nonmatching double doors would drive me mad though, and what's with them being above the skirting board! They don't appear to be working doors though going by the floorplan...

They are the wardrobe doors. I don't see much wrong with the house. It's clean most of the hard work fixing it up has been done. It looks like someone with a tight budget fixing up an old house just upcycled/reused what they could get there hands on. The work they've done is generally quite tidy. The tree trunk in the living room is a bit out there but if there was a modern kitchen in it wouldn't be posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

There's definitely a bit of creativity and improvisation gone into it. Nice area too! Definitely one of the nicer ones I've seen on this thread.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    There's definitely a bit of creativity and improvisation gone into it. Nice area too! Definitely one of the nicer ones I've seen on this thread.

Even from picture 1 the house doesn't look right. The window sills over the door are at different heights even though it's a semi and obviously built by the same builder. There's a mad slope on the ...ahem... footpath outside. It looks a disaster.

Pic 14 bothers me. Double doors at a different height to the floor. There'd be an excuse if the house had an extension, but looking at the pics it doesn't, unless I'm missing something. Oops. Looks like there is a door in the kitchen going somewhere so maybe there is an extension on the house that isn't shown on the plans. Where is the door in the corner of pic 6 going? (between the black fridge and the silver hob extractor?

I just read the property description. That's a laugh. Guest utility room 2.35m x .88m. Plumbing in there for a stacked washing machine and dryer. Good luck fitting that in there if you are also going to use it as a toilet.

Granted it's not the worst house we've seen on here but you'd need to spend a right few bob getting that house in any sort of order. A right few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Was anybody else disappointed that they didn't have pine tiles in the bathroom? :D

Ryath wrote: »
    They are the wardrobe doors. I don't see much wrong with the house. It's clean most of the hard work fixing it up has been done. It looks like someone with a tight budget fixing up an old house just upcycled/reused what they could get there hands on. The work they've done is generally quite tidy. The tree trunk in the living room is a bit out there but if there was a modern kitchen in it wouldn't be posted here.
    It's a nice, clean house for €135k. New kitchen, rip out the pine in the loo under the stairs, change the salvaged wardrobes doors and paint the internal doors if you want less wood on show.

Perfectly liveable as it is though.

It's a nice, clean house for €135k. New kitchen, rip out the pine in the loo under the stairs, change the salvaged wardrobes doors and paint the internal doors if you want less wood on show.

Perfectly liveable as it is though.

There are questions though.

Where does the door in the corner of the kitchen go to? Why is there different height floors at the double inside glass doors?

That wooden pillar in the middle of the sitting room is an absolute eyesore. Did they remove a supporting wall to make the room open-plan?

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    There are questions though.

Where does the door in the corner of the kitchen go to? Why is there different height floors at the double inside glass doors?

That wooden pillar in the middle of the sitting room is an absolute eyesore. Did they remove a supporting wall to make the room open-plan?

I don't see a door in the corner of the kitchen? There's a white shelf unit in one corner and a wooden unit beside the fridge.

The glass doors in the bedroom are what I referred to as the salvaged wardrobe doors.

It does look like the wooden pillar is for support, you can see by the stairs that it was changed to open plan. That could be changed.

It's still a nice, bright house for €135k.

Advertisement