Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

If anyone got as far as their shopping cart try again now, it should have your entry sitting their in a processing state.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 YeaYeaSure

Just got a ticket in the last 5mins if anyone has given up maybe try again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

niallo27 wrote: »
    Anyone able to get tickets this morning

Yes me and husband did but it took a total of 2 hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

YeaYeaSure wrote: »
    Just got a ticket in the last 5mins if anyone has given up maybe try again now.

Just got one even though KBC said it was sold out 40 minutes ago. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

i got my entry took two hours to go through at 11am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Runner 79

Hi All

I will be attempting my first marathon in October.. have been gradually increasing my weekly mileage since last March. I have ran 60km last week.The week before I ran 35 km..I have not been using any training plan. I originally had never even considered a marathon but as my weekly mileage continued to rise I decided to sign up for the Galway bay run in October.

I have a half marathon best of 1:44.

I sweat a lot when out running and am wondering how good running gels are?
    The last month I have attempted to run the full marathon distance but have hit a wall at mile 20 and stopped each time..all though the route I have been running has a lot of hills.

I find running a lot of hills are a good help in training. Maybe I will try a flatter route the next time I try to run all of the 26miles.

Just wanted to share my experience with marathon training so far..Apologies for the random post!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Runner 79 wrote: »
    Hi All

I will be attempting my first marathon in October.. have been gradually increasing my weekly mileage since last March. I have ran 60km last week.The week before I ran 35 km..I have not been using any training plan. I originally had never even considered a marathon but as my weekly mileage continued to rise I decided to sign up for the Galway bay run in October.

The last month I have attempted to run the full marathon distance but have hit a wall at mile 20 and stopped each time..all though the route I have been running has a lot of hills.

I find running a lot of hills are a good help in training. Maybe I will try a flatter route the next time I try to run all of the 26miles.

Just wanted to share my experience with marathon training so far..Apologies for the random post!

Well done so far but get on a plan, any plan. To even consider running 26 miles in training is totally barking mad! :pac: In fact to be running 20 while still months away from target marathon is only putting undue stress on the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Hi All

Hi Runner 79 and welcome. Have a look at the plans in the opening post and see if you like the look of either. I'd recommend taking a structured approach to training for the marathon and it's not too late to start following a plan. The Boards plan looks like it might be a good fit. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding your post, but please don't run 26 miles all at once in training. Leave that to the day itself.

Hi,

I am a bit late to this! Just saw it on Facebook...and have spent hours going through all the posts so far. Looks brilliant.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

I am very very new to running. I am 42 and started last year, running my first 5K on my own on January 1st. Since then I have become hooked. I am slow!

Best 5K road race 7th June 31:31
    Best Templemore Parkrun 22nd June 32:12
    Best 6k road race 26th May Kyle GAA 40:24
    Best 10K 16th June Kildare Thoroughbred 1:05:33

5K time gone from 37 to 31:31 since January.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I have just finished week 5 of the DCM training plan - advanced section. So I am currently running 4-5 times a week.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    To put that medal around my neck

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    As above.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Injury.

Why are you running this marathon?
    I have lost 51/2 stone since October and running is so new to me - this would be a massive achievement.

Strava Profile - can I join the group please? Kathy McLoughlin is the profile if anyone wants to follow it.

Welcome to the thread. Losing 5.5stone is an incredible achievement. Well done.
    Yes me and husband did but it took a total of 2 hours!

Yay!

Maybe it is crazy but I just feel like I need to know I can run the full distance..

I run all year around not just to sign up for races It's a way of life for me and I love running.
    Will have a look at training plans but I just feel like going back to week one of a training plan would be a backwards step for me.

Thanks for your feedback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Just curious to know if there were any fallers at the get an entry hurdle. It seemed that quite a few of those on the thread were waiting on getting an entry today.

pd79 wrote: »
    Week 1 review

Week one went well, did 25k over three runs, found run on sat difficult with heat, need to go out earlier in day. Also need to drink more water

Took it easy on all runs, hoping for 5hr or just under for marathon, doing lsr at 7;00 pace, and midweek runs at 6:45, would this be about right ?
    I did dream about marathon all night Friday night, dreamt I couldnt find start line, got lost etc! Had bit of a mental wobble thinking I wont be up to the challenge, but I'm just going to take it one run at a time .
    Here's to week two!

I think you're running too fast. If you put it into context: a 5 hour marathon is approx 7:00/km - so your runs are all at PMP or quicker. Try and slow your runs right down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just curious to know if there were any fallers at the get an entry hurdle. It seemed that quite a few of those on the thread were waiting on getting an entry today.

I have been silenty taking part in this thread as I didnt want to get involved until my entry was confirmed. I had no luck today with that shambles so good luck to all who did!

Would anyone recommend another marathon at home or abroad late this year or early next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Bit of a joke, seeing they let a number of their mates register yesterday morning on the qt.
    Would be interested to know which running clubs were tipped off about the "system testing" yesterday morning....

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

There's nothing to suggest that it wasn't a simple mistake. There's not a conspiracy against you. The volunteers that run DCM run a spectacular event that is now massively over-subscribed.

Maybe it is crazy but I just feel like I need to know I can run the full distance..

I run all year around not just to sign up for races It's a way of life for me and I love running.
    Will have a look at training plans but I just feel like going back to week one of a training plan would be a backwards step for me.

Thanks for your feedback

It might be a step back but it might also be a step forward. Good luck with it anyway!

I don't have an interest in entering but it's very unfair on those who do.
    If they have put their hands up last night and said they've sold 1000 or more of the remaining entries at least people could set their expectations.

Funny how Cork Athletics groups had a chance to notify people about the secret testing time yesterday.....

Of course as soon as it was noticed news quickly went around the various running groups via Whatsapp etc. - why wouldn't it?

Huzzah! wrote: »
    It might be a step back but it might also be a step forward. Good luck with it anyway!

Thanks Huzzah 😄

DBB wrote: »
    Well done everyone... One week down, 17 to go! Eek!
    Can I ask our fab experts... I've deviated a bit from the start of the marathon plan, in that I signed up for the Clontarf Half next Saturday, as a goal to get my miles up over the past few months for the start of the marathon block itself. It'll be the furthest I'll ever have run in one go, ever!
    I've been following the HHN1 half marathon plan, but due to starting it a little earlier, I've upped my lsr to just short of 18km yesterday... Rightly or wrongly :o There has been a nice, gradual build-up to this point.
    Now... I'm categorically not one of the people running too fast :D as I'm training to heart rate, which dictates my speed, and I know I'll never set the world on fire with my paces anyway! I'm a plodder, and that's fine with me :)
    Anyway, my question is this... Once I get next week's HM under my belt (hopefully!), how do I go about merging back into the marathon plan? I plan to follow the HHN1 Marathon plan.
    For instance, do I drop my mileage to fit with the HH plan? Or not?! I assume I'll drop the miles in the week after the HM at least, to recover. But what then?

Can I also ask, what intervals do you guys advise taking gels during long runs?

I'm very tempted to adopt the Bananaleaf Method for race reporting... Hopefully I'll have something to report on next week! Eek again!

Thanks all!

Take a down week after the half - you'll be glad of it. Are you plan on doing the Race Series 10k?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

I think you're running too fast. If you put it into context: a 5 hour marathon is approx 7:00/km - so your runs are all at PMP or quicker. Try and slow your runs right down.

Will do , cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Take a down week after the half - you'll be glad of it. Are you plan on doing the Race Series 10k?

Thanks Huzzah!
    It's not in the plan to be honest. I did the Women's Mini Marathon at the start of June. I'm in for the Clontarf HM next week, then I'm thinking of the Tullamore HM on Aug 31st, which is 3 weeks ahead of the DCM Race Series HM, I'm trying to make life easier for myself as Tullamore is way easier for me to get to!
    Finally, I'm in for the Longwood Three Quarters Marathon, which tallies with the longest LSR on the HHN1 plan.
    How does that sound?

• Advertisement

Thanks Huzzah!
    It's not in the plan to be honest. I did the Women's Mini Marathon at the start of June. I'm in for the Clontarf HM next week, then I'm thinking of the Tullamore HM on Aug 31st, which is 3 weeks ahead of the DCM Race Series HM, I'm trying to make life easier for myself as Tullamore is way easier for me to get to!
    Finally, I'm in for the Longwood Three Quarters Marathon, which tallies with the longest LSR on the HHN1 plan.
    How does that sound?

That's fine - it's definitely not compulsory. I just needed to know so that I could advise on how to structure your week. I'll have a wee think and be back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Thanks Huzzah!
    How does that sound?

I have the same issue, I'm not doing the race series either and doing Tullamore instead.

Currently regigging the plan to suit, ie take out the slow down leading up to the 10k and then switching week leading up to the half around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I have the same issue, I'm not doing the race series either and doing Tullamore instead.

Currently regigging the plan to suit, ie take out the slow down leading up to the 10k and then switching week leading up to the half around.

Ahead of the weeks that have races in the plans, we will also give adjusted weeks for those not partaking in the races. I wouldn't do too much rejigging, stay on plan, and the week of Tullamore we can advise how to adjust that particular week.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Ahead of the weeks that have races in the plans, we will also give adjusted weeks for those not partaking in the races. I wouldn't do too much rejigging, stay on plan, and the week of Tullamore we can advise how to adjust that particular week.

Thanks, Is that a differnet tab on the spreadsheet in post 1?

Thanks, Is that a differnet tab on the spreadsheet in post 1?

It's not on the spreadsheet, we'll just post it on the thread the Sunday before. The week of the 10k I think the plans just have a 13 mile LSR (boards) or 9 mile LSR (HHN1) replacing the 10k race.

Wondering if you can help answer wondering thoughts... I am following the DCM advanced plan... this week it’s

Monday rest
    Tuesday 4-6 miles
    Weds 4-6 miles + 5x50 strides
    Thursday 4-6 miles
    Friday rest
    Saturday 4 miles
    Sunday 8-10 miles

The problem is - I have booked a sports deep tissue massage for Friday night and on Saturday I have the Roscommon 10 mile race.

Questions: How best should I rejig my week? Is it ok to proceed with the massage the night before the 10 miler? I am guessing I just swop Sat and Sun around? And I know you are going to tell me that Roscommon should be done 1 min per mile slower than PMP?

That's fine - it's definitely not compulsory. I just needed to know so that I could advise on how to structure your week. I'll have a wee think and be back :)
    It's not on the spreadsheet, we'll just post it on the thread the Sunday before. The week of the 10k I think the plans just have a 13 mile LSR (boards) or 9 mile LSR (HHN1) replacing the 10k race.

DBB, I think if you take an easy week the week after the half, then it won’t be too much of a step back to jump into the marathon plan the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

Well done and best of luck to all those who got marathon entries this morning.

Last week's training went fine - 27 miles in total including an 11-mile long run (was meant to be 10 but I ended up a bit further from my house than I'd calculated...).

I was put in touch with a group who are running about my pace (10.20 and slower) for the long runs so I went out with them on Sunday and really enjoyed it. Up to now I've been doing most of the long runs on my own because whenever I would run with clubmates I always ended up speeding up without even realising it. So it's nice to have a choice of running with company again!

Next week I'm planning a speed or hill session on Tuesday, short easy run Wednesday, longer easy run Thursday, rest Friday, easy parkrun Saturday and a 14 mile long run on Sunday. The Sunday run will be the longest I've done in a couple of years, but I've done 13 a couple of times so it should be fine. Looking forward to getting stuck in to the plan for a second week!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

A quick question for those more experienced than I with this whole marathon thing, I'm following the meno plan after talking to people from these parts who've used it before and reckon I'll be able for it. Just starting week 2 now.

My 5k PB (May '19) is 19:44 (also ran 19:46 in the same month)

Based on the "more accurate" marathon calculator (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/marathon-calculator/) and a plan that should average 44 miles per week during marathon training, I should be able to run a 3:24 marathon. That's a pace of about 7:47 per mile.

The general consensus seems to be that other calculators are relatively accurate for every distance up to and including half-marathon but they have me running about 3:10 for the marathon (not a snowballs hope in hell of hitting that).

So my question, should my 10k, 10m and HM target paces be derived using my 5k time on the tinman calculator, or should I enter the project 538 marathon time into tinman and use that as a basis to get the other paces?

Or is there a third way of calculating them that I haven't considered?

There's a fairly big difference between working up from 5k and down from marathon (Project 538 estimate).

Distance|Project 538|Pace|Tinman|Pace
    26.2|3:23:59|7:47|3:09:59|7:15
    13.1|1:37:57|7:28|1:31:14|6:57
    10m|1:13:19|7:19|1:08:18|6:49
    10k|44:08|7:06|41:06|6:36

Hope the question makes sense to someone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 cumminsciaran

Late to the party so hope its ok posting this now?

•Have you raced before?
    I have done various race distances mainly 5Km and 10Km (Raheny 5mile is my favourite) and I completed the DCM 1/2 marathon last year, my longest race but I have completed this distance during training a few times.
    Recent PBs are as follows 5Km 20:58 2018 (21:16 May19)
    10Km 46:54 2018
    1/2 Marathon 01:47:18(Date and distance please!)

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No
    •I'm training anywhere between 2 and 5 times a week. I'm working shift and find it very hard on nights to get motivated to do anything. I run anything from 3 miles to 10 miles at present at varied paces. Tempos are usually 3 to 5 miles @ 7:30-8:00 Min/Mile, LSR done @ 8:30-9:00 Min/Mile, Hills done at 6 Min/Mile and 400s @ 1 min:20secs. Cross training is non existent, and on my long weeks working motivation is very low. I think I could be preforming a lot better than I am with the right mindset.
    • I would love to hit 3:30:00 but realistically I'm probably looking at 4 hours or sub 4, third goal if all goes horribly wrong is to just finish.
    •Realistically 4 days but I can push that to 5 on my short weeks if not six and then 3 on my long week working. Looking at the Intermediate plan so far but as I have never tackled this sort of training it is very hard to make your mind up as not every plan will suit everyone.
    •My biggest fear is not finishing. Or making a bags of my training and feeling like I could have given/done more
    •I used to follow my dad around the road running circuit when we were kids and after giving up athletics in my early teens I though now was as good a time as any to get back into it and do some of the races my dad did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

So I’ve decided to sign up to the race series south dublin 10k... did anyone do it last year? What’s the course like and the parking situation (still not over missing the race series 1/2 a few years back due to the traffic debacle ;) ) I loved the Fingal 10k course just wondering how it compares. Thanks!

A quick question for those more experienced than I with this whole marathon thing, I'm following the meno plan after talking to people from these parts who've used it before and reckon I'll be able for it. Just starting week 2 now.

My 5k PB (May '19) is 19:44 (also ran 19:46 in the same month)

Based on the "more accurate" marathon calculator (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/marathon-calculator/) and a plan that should average 44 miles per week during marathon training, I should be able to run a 3:24 marathon. That's a pace of about 7:47 per mile.

The general consensus seems to be that other calculators are relatively accurate for every distance up to and including half-marathon but they have me running about 3:10 for the marathon (not a snowballs hope in hell of hitting that).

So my question, should my 10k, 10m and HM target paces be derived using my 5k time on the tinman calculator, or should I enter the project 538 marathon time into tinman and use that as a basis to get the other paces?

Or is there a third way of calculating them that I haven't considered?

There's a fairly big difference between working up from 5k and down from marathon (Project 538 estimate).

Distance|Project 538|Pace|Tinman|Pace
    26.2|3:23:59|7:47|3:09:59|7:15
    13.1|1:37:57|7:28|1:31:14|6:57
    10m|1:13:19|7:19|1:08:18|6:49
    10k|44:08|7:06|41:06|6:36

I’d be interested to hear from those who’ve done the Meno plan to see what they did. I’d a quick look at Murph D’s old log and it seems he used McMillan for a guide for the FD10 mile using his 5 mile PB. I’m not sure what his training paces were based on.

You could plug in a few of your more recent PBs into a calculator and take an average? You could also do the sessions using the HR guidance given by Meno but I appreciate that’s not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

I’d be interested to hear from those who’ve done the Meno plan to see what they did. I’d a quick look at Murphy’s D’s old log and it seems he used McMillan for a guide for the FD10 mile using his 5 mile PB. I’m not sure what his training paces were based on.

You could plug in a few of your more recent PBs into a calculator and take an average? You could also do the sessions using the HR guidance given by Meno but I appreciate that’s not for everyone.

Thanks E.

The only races I have this year since coming back to full fitness are 5k's. I did run the GIR 10k in just over 43 on a tough, windy day, but wouldn't have said I was up to full fitness at that stage and had only started running interval sessions two week prior to it. I'll get a better idea of correct race paces after the South Dublin 10k in a few weeks.

This Wednesday's session is a progression from steady (MP +15-30 secs) to MP, HMP and 10k paces. Going from an MP of 7:47 to a McMillan HMP estimate of 6:57 seems like a huge leap within a run, which is what really sparked the question in my mind.

Running it based on HR might be an idea. I'll try to read up on Meno's HR guidance this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cumminsciaran

[So I’ve decided to sign up to the race series south dublin 10k... did anyone do it last year? What’s the course like and the parking situation (still not over missing the race series 1/2 a few years back due to the traffic debacle ) I loved the Fingal 10k course just wondering how it compares. Thanks!

I enjoyed the course, not sure on parking as I used my work carpark on the day and walked but I didn't hear any complaints over it. Well organised and marked out, started in Grange castle and headed out onto the duel carriageway up towards corcaigh park, it's a slight uphill like swords. Then into the park, seems tight on Google maps but it was well strung out by that point.out of the park at the far side and down through clondakin for a water stop. Turn left onto the canal path, I found this the hardest part as it's just a long straight. Under the bridge at Grange castle and it's about 800 m to the finish then. I really enjoyed it for a change,but like you I loved the swords route, I'm local so probably a bias ��

[So I’ve decided to sign up to the race series south dublin 10k... did anyone do it last year? What’s the course like and the parking situation (still not over missing the race series 1/2 a few years back due to the traffic debacle ) I loved the Fingal 10k course just wondering how it compares. Thanks!

I enjoyed the course, not sure on parking as I used my work carpark on the day and walked but I didn't hear any complaints over it. Well organised and marked out, started in Grange castle and headed out onto the duel carriageway up towards corcaigh park, it's a slight uphill like swords. Then into the park, seems tight on Google maps but it was well strung out by that point.out of the park at the far side and down through clondakin for a water stop. Turn left onto the canal path, I found this the hardest part as it's just a long straight. Under the bridge at Grange castle and it's about 800 m to the finish then. I really enjoyed it for a change,but like you I loved the swords route, I'm local so probably a bias ��

Good to hear thanks!

• Advertisement

I've downloaded strava now, what information do you need to join the group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Are you seeing this on strava? I think endurance runs are featured in Pfitzinger's Faster Road Running plans, so perhaps whoever you are looking at is following one of those plans.

Yes Mr Guappa, I saw it on Strava. I was just curious as to what was meant by the term. Is it another way of saying 'aerobic'?

Can I also ask - is the infamous 'Heartbreak Hill' at Roebuck? I'm thinking of making next weeks Thursday 4mile the Clonskeagh - Merrion section. Is that section 'runnable' when the roads haven't been closed off and it's business as usual?

Does anyone know if there are any sections of the DCM route that you just couldn't run safely outside of race day?

Thank you

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Yes Mr Guappa, I saw it on Strava. I was just curious as to what was meant by the term. Is it another way of saying 'aerobic'?

Can I also ask - is the infamous 'Heartbreak Hill' at Roebuck? I'm thinking of making next weeks Thursday 4mile the Clonskeagh - Merrion section. Is that section 'runnable' when the roads haven't been closed off and it's business as usual?

Does anyone know if there are any sections of the DCM route that you just couldn't run safely outside of race day?

Thank you

That area is runnable but it will be stop and go with traffic at certain points as it’s a fairly congested area but the footpaths are wide! If you go up clonskeagh rd to Roebuck Rd and down fosters ave onto the stillorgan rd I usually cross the N11 at the pedestrian bridge by RTE going towards Vincent’s so I’m not stuck waiting for the pedestrian lights for too long.

I've downloaded strava now, what information do you need to join the group?

https://www.strava.com/clubs/523351 - just apply there to join and drop me a PM with your Strava name.

Late to the party so hope its ok posting this now?

•Have you raced before?
    I have done various race distances mainly 5Km and 10Km (Raheny 5mile is my favourite) and I completed the DCM 1/2 marathon last year, my longest race but I have completed this distance during training a few times.
    Recent PBs are as follows 5Km 20:58 2018 (21:16 May19)
    10Km 46:54 2018
    1/2 Marathon 01:47:18(Date and distance please!)

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No
    •I'm training anywhere between 2 and 5 times a week. I'm working shift and find it very hard on nights to get motivated to do anything. I run anything from 3 miles to 10 miles at present at varied paces. Tempos are usually 3 to 5 miles @ 7:30-8:00 Min/Mile, LSR done @ 8:30-9:00 Min/Mile, Hills done at 6 Min/Mile and 400s @ 1 min:20secs. Cross training is non existent, and on my long weeks working motivation is very low. I think I could be preforming a lot better than I am with the right mindset.
    • I would love to hit 3:30:00 but realistically I'm probably looking at 4 hours or sub 4, third goal if all goes horribly wrong is to just finish.
    •Realistically 4 days but I can push that to 5 on my short weeks if not six and then 3 on my long week working. Looking at the Intermediate plan so far but as I have never tackled this sort of training it is very hard to make your mind up as not every plan will suit everyone.
    •My biggest fear is not finishing. Or making a bags of my training and feeling like I could have given/done more
    •I used to follow my dad around the road running circuit when we were kids and after giving up athletics in my early teens I though now was as good a time as any to get back into it and do some of the races my dad did

Welcome along cumminsciaran, it's never too late to get in on the act over here!

I think 4 hours seems like a realistic target for you, with the right training. You are running all your runs far too fast - I'd recommend something like 10:00min/mile for easy runs and slightly slower for LSR.

Take a look at the boards plan here and see what you think. I work shift (a mix of days and nights) and this time last year I couldn't dream that I'd squeeze in a run while in the middle of a set of night shifts, but once I tried it I found that I actually really enjoy it - it helps me get around the general fog that descends when I'm on nights.

• Advertisement

Wondering if you can help answer wondering thoughts... I am following the DCM advanced plan... this week it’s

Monday rest
    Tuesday 4-6 miles
    Weds 4-6 miles + 5x50 strides
    Thursday 4-6 miles
    Friday rest
    Saturday 4 miles
    Sunday 8-10 miles

The problem is - I have booked a sports deep tissue massage for Friday night and on Saturday I have the Roscommon 10 mile race.

Questions: How best should I rejig my week? Is it ok to proceed with the massage the night before the 10 miler? I am guessing I just swop Sat and Sun around? And I know you are going to tell me that Roscommon should be done 1 min per mile slower than PMP?

Hi kemcloughlin!

I have a couple of general observations based on your posts so far and your Strava history:

You are running far too fast on ALL your runs, you can afford to take it much, much easier. You are also racing far too regularly - the marathon is a goal that you need to fully commit to. Do you have many more races planned after the weekend?

I also worry that you may have been overly ambitious with your choice of plan. It has a lot of miles for someone relatively new to running - would you consider taking a look at the two plans in the first post if this thread? Both have less miles than the plan you are following.

As regards your question on the sports massage, KSU posted this on the subject last week:
    To be honest you can schedule a massage at any stage however if the body isn't used to it it can take up to 48-72 hours for the legs to come back to life (not sore per say just feeling fairly flat) something to note if you don't get them too often and are planning on getting them of a race week.

Best of luck with the training - you've come such a long way in the past few months. Train smart (and easy) between now and DCM and you'll have a day to cherish.

A quick question for those more experienced than I with this whole marathon thing

3:24 sounds reasonable for now as your MP, factoring in general novice-ness and endurance being a minor weakness. From then I'd apply a sliding scale of paces down to your relatively strong 5k time, so something like:

MP: 7:45
    Tempo: 7:05
    10k: 6:50
    5k: 6:20

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TillyDcm

Week 1 report:
    Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    - Yes, week 1 of the HH plan fully complete!

Did you run the easy runs at an appropriate pace?
    Monday 3 miles @ avg 11:11/mi
    Tuesday 3 miles @ avg 11:06/mi
    Wednesday 3 miles @ avg 10:38/mi
    Saturday 6 miles (5k + parkrun) @ avg 10:38/mi
    Sunday 30 minute leisurely cycle

I can see that my LSR wasn't slow enough, as my shorter runs were at a slower pace. Should I slow my long runs down significantly, or should I speed up my shorter runs?
    Any advice is much appreciated.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

would regular legs massage be of any benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Week 1:
    Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    -Yes, week 1 complete (didn't do any rec runs though)

Did you run the easy runs at an appropriate pace?
    Did 3rd one too fast. Targeting 10:30 - 10:40.
    LSR needs to be slower. Will try do 11:15 this week.
    Any feedback welcome if these times aren't hitting the mark.

For week 2 in Boards plan what is w/u and c/d ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    For week 2 in Boards plan what is w/u and c/d ?

Warm up and cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Warm up and cool down.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Soulsun wrote:
    would regular legs massage be of any benefit?

Up to yourself really. Some people get them once a month, others never! If you've niggles at all, then might be no harm to go for one but otherwise no need for one right now.
    Personally I get them a fair bit but really because one of my besties is a physio and I get a nice mates rate ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Week 2 HH, didn't want a rest today so got out for a nice easy 6km in the sunset. Great evening for a run! Really enjoying it lately (probably wont be saying that in a few weeks :D ).

Hi kemcloughlin!

I have a couple of general observations based on your posts so far and your Strava history:

You are running far too fast on ALL your runs, you can afford to take it much, much easier. You are also racing far too regularly - the marathon is a goal that you need to fully commit to. Do you have many more races planned after the weekend?

I also worry that you may have been overly ambitious with your choice of plan. It has a lot of miles for someone relatively new to running - would you consider taking a look at the two plans in the first post if this thread? Both have less miles than the plan you are following.

Mr Guappa, thank you for investing time in us! This running too fast things makes me smile - as everyone is faster than me - but I understand the benefit of running slow, having read the posts. The race thing is an addiction I have developed - trying to prove to myself I am getting better - but as you say my goal now as to be DCM and I tear around the park in the winter.

I am confused though. I have looked at the different prediction time pages and every page I go to is different - some times by an hour. So its impossible for me to know what I am supposed to be aiming for pace wise. Is a sub 5 hour marathon realistic for someone with a 5K time of 31:31 and a 10K time of 1:05:33 or am I fooling myself?

I think I will go with the HHN1 plan from now on - but I need to be able to work out the paces for the LSR and the Easy ones. confused? very.

• Advertisement
Advertisement