Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Men's Day 19th November

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'd leave it chief. You have explained your reasoning umpteen times at this stage.

I'm just seeing how far out of their way they will go do deny that spreading information is important to getting solutions to serious issues like suicide. It's clear to any normal person that information sharing is one of the important aspects of achieving change. It's not a controversial thing. It's the basis of any social change campaign you care to mention. The fact that they would go out of their way to deny this demonstrates how far from reality their posts actually are.

Anyone who cares about the actual issues like the suicide rate amongst young men would not oppose sharing information and getting the public on side to deal with it.

As a matter of interest, do you see the importance of information sharing in dealing with issues like suicide prevention?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

If you keep your feelings to yourself and present an outward facade of strength, you're perpetuating toxic masculinity, if you share your feelings then it's fragile masculinity and the mockery that goes with it.

If you keep your feelings to yourself and present an outward facade of strength, you're perpetuating toxic masculinity, if you share your feelings then it's fragile masculinity and the mockery that goes with it.

Some people might see it like that. I think it’s fair to say young people are much more literate on mental health and sharing feelings. That doesn’t mean they all share feelings all the time, but I don’t think as many of them share the attitude you’re talking about there where men sharing feelings demonstrates fragility or is worthy of mockery. So it’s moving in the right direction.

That’s the kind of thing IMD will be raising awareness of and discussing the seriousness of what’s at stake -life and death in lots of cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Some people might see it like that. I think it’s fair to say young people are much more literate on mental health and sharing feelings. That doesn’t mean they all share feelings all the time, but I don’t think as many of them share the attitude you’re talking about there where men sharing feelings demonstrates fragility or is worthy of mockery. So it’s moving in the right direction.

That’s the kind of thing IMD will be raising awareness of and discussing the seriousness of what’s at stake -life and death in lots of cases.

Brought you by: 'Gillette'....

ampleforth wrote: »
    Brought you by: 'Gillette'....

This kinda demonstrates CelticWario's point. That actually talking about things diminishes men in some people's eyes.

Thankfully that attitude is on wane.

• Advertisement

https://www.wit.ie/events/all_news/international_mens_day

Some great events planned for Waterford Institute of Technology IMD on Thursday morning.

Lots of speakers lined up including Willie Moore, Chair of Dėise Men’s Shed

A bloke discussing the challenges leaving his job and becoming a stay at home dad.

This one really caught my attention:
    "Dr Niamh Murphy - Men on the Move Project

The excess burden of ill-health, mortality and premature death experienced by many men, and poorer men in particular, across the developed world has prompted calls for the development of gender sensitised health related services for men."

Looks like a great event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,662 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

https://www.wit.ie/events/all_news/international_mens_day

Some great events planned for Waterford Institute of Technology IMD on Thursday morning.

Lots of speakers lined up including Willie Moore, Chair of Dėise Men’s Shed

A bloke discussing the challenges leaving his job and becoming a stay at home dad.

This one really caught my attention:
    "Dr Niamh Murphy - Men on the Move Project

The excess burden of ill-health, mortality and premature death experienced by many men, and poorer men in particular, across the developed world has prompted calls for the development of gender sensitised health related services for men."

Looks like a great event

so let me get this straight, normative male behaviour is toxic?, maybe they need to push back against this for starters
    Cormac 'Benny' Finlay left his job as an auctioneer to become a stay at home dad to his two wonderful, but challenging, kids. He does not see himself as a breaker of stereotypes or crusader against toxic masculinity; he’s just doing what needs to be done, whether that's nappies, late nights or silly voices and snuggles. He's been documenting his trials and tribulations on daddypoppins.com in an attempt to vent and to lift the veil on what it's like to be a stay at home dad in 'modern' Ireland.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Bobblehats wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Last of the famous international playboys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

silverharp wrote: »
    so let me get this straight, normative male behaviour is toxic?, maybe they need to push back against this for starters

That is a strange one. Apprently a man working outside of the house, perhaps being competition for female jobs, is now toxic? Is that what we've come to?

Imo, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth when, with the rising male suicides, deppression, anxiety, so on and so forth, are rising, a day for men is being hijacked to continue to paint men in a negative light by proxy if nothing else.

And apparently if men every complain, there's going to be a collective shrug and 'talk about it on men's day'.

silverharp wrote: »

Who said normative male behaviour is toxic? I've absolutely no idea how toxic masculinity is defined. And neither do you.It can mean anything.

If, for example, he plans to talk about ways that old school views of masculinity such as not talking about problems, is contributing to men not getting help for health problems, then I'm fine with it.

But absolutely fair play for scouring the article looking for something to criticise it. Is that the only thing that stood out to you in the whole event?

• Advertisement

I've absolutely no idea how toxic masculinity is defined. And neither do you.It can mean anything.

If, for example, he plans to talk about ways that old school views of masculinity such as not talking about problems, is contributing to men not getting help for health problems, then I'm fine with it.

But absolutely fair play for scouring the article looking for something to criticise it. Is that the only thing that stood out to you in the whole event?

Something that can mean anything actually means nothing.

But it's nice that people are talking about mental health as long as the men realise they are 'toxic'.

That is a strange one. Apprently a man working outside of the house, perhaps being competition for female jobs, is now toxic? Is that what we've come to?

Imo, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth when, with the rising male suicides, deppression, anxiety, so on and so forth, are rising, a day for men is being hijacked to continue to paint men in a negative light by proxy if nothing else.

And apparently if men every complain, there's going to be a collective shrug and 'talk about it on men's day'.

You've shown nothing but opposition to the day. So its a bit rich for you to pretend to worry about the day.

And who suggested "if men every complain, there's going to be a collective shrug and 'talk about it on men's day'"?

I can't help seeing that IMD is just an inconvenience for you because it contradicts your belief that men can't have their issues and concerns addressed. Somehow you find yourself in opposition to IMD when you know the country will be listening and you're ignoring it. Waiting so you can go back to complaining about how hopeless it is and how unfair everything is and how nobody listens to men's concerns.

Something that can mean anything actually means nothing.

But it's nice that people are talking about mental health as long as the men realise they are 'toxic'.

Right. And toxic masculinity means nothing, as you said, so it's nothing to get upset about, right?

Anyway, that's just one single talk in the day. Interesting to see that you focused on the one negative thing you could find (well, you waited for someone else to find a negative so you could be outraged about it)

You've shown nothing but opposition to the day. So its a bit rich for you to pretend to worry about the day.

And who suggested "if men every complain, there's going to be a collective shrug and 'talk about it on men's day'"?

I can't help seeing that IMD is just an inconvenience for you because it contradicts your belief that men can't have their issues and concerns addressed. Somehow you find yourself in opposition to IMD when you know the country will be listening and ignoring it. Waiting so you can go back to complaining about how hopeless it is and how unfair everything is and how nobody listens to men's concerns.

Oh, silly men, complaining about issues that men face. If only they'd do it on the one day that it's allowed, and make sure to be vulnerable and admit that they're behaviour is toxic.

Right. And toxic masculinity means nothing, as you said, so it's nothing to get upset about, right?

Anyway, that's just one single talk in the day. Interesting to see that you focused on the one negative thing you could find (well, you waited for someone else to find a negative so you could be outraged about it)

...What?

Oh, silly men, complaining about issues that men face

This seems to be precisely your attitude. You oppose the men who actually do something to publicise the issues they feel are Important. Dragging other men down who want to do some good is a really sad thing to see. If the evil feminists were doing it, you'd be horrified.

...What?

You said toxic masculinity means nothing but you're upset about it. So you're upset about nothing.

You said toxic masculinity is meaningless, but you're upset about it.

...What? I mean, do you honestly think that your reply was in anyway intelligient?

...What? I mean, do you honestly think that your reply was in anyway intelligient?

Not really. It's just interesting that you call it meaningless while going on and on about it.

Denigrate IMD and then pretend to worry about it being hijacked. Your posts are a bit all over the place. I find it hard to know if you're serious or just messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Not really. It's just interesting that you call it meaningless while going on and on about it.

Denigrate IMD and then pretend to worry about it being hijacked. Your posts are a bit all over the place. I find it hard to know if you're serious or just messing.

Do you have any friends?

• Advertisement

...This is so strange. I mean, you understand that a theory can be meaningless, and still cause harm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Toxic Masculinity is the language of the radical feminist...it is meaningless unless you attach meaning to it, like being called a blasphemer by a Religious nutter is meaningless, unless you attach meaning to it!

...This is so strange. I mean, you understand that a theory can be meaningless, and still cause harm?

Yeah but neither of us knows what they guy will talk about. I know that. You’re assuming you know what he means and assuming it’s about talking down men. I really doubt that’s the case but i have humility enough not to pretend I know

Toxic Masculinity is the language of the radical feminist...it is meaningless unless you attach meaning to it, like being called a blasphemer by a Religious nutter is meaningless, unless you attach meaning to it!

So... you define what this guy will say?

And that’s the only interesting thing anyone can find to talk about from the event? That’s genuinely interesting.

So... you define what this guy will say?

And that’s the only interesting thing anyone can find to talk about from the event? That’s genuinely interesting.

I did no such thing!!! I've got no idea what any guy will say....

Toxic Masculinity, however, is the language of the radical feminist, it is time men start calling out this bigotry!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,662 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

to me "toxic masculinity" is a feminist construct used to attack men not help them, there is also no use of the term "toxic femininity" in society which is telling. if it pops up in relation to men's issues its a red flag

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I did no such thing!!! I've got no idea what any guy will say....

Toxic Masculinity, however, is the language of the radical feminist, it is time men start calling out this bigotry!!

Sure. So the guy can attach any meaning he wants to it?

Still nothing good to say about the entire event or the concept of people doing something to discuss the issues that are important to them as men. Just pick one phrase from the event and focus on that. I don't know if I've ever used the term 'triggered' in earnest before.

Sure. So the guy can attach any meaning he wants to it?

Still nothing good to say about the entire event or the concept of people doing something to discuss the issues that are important to them as men. Just pick one phrase from the event and focus on that. I don't know if I've ever used the term 'triggered' in earnest before.

I wasn't talking about the event!!!!!!

I'll say it again, Toxic Masculinity is the language of the radical feminist, it's use has been normalised in modern day culture, so people will use the term in a manner they do not fully understand...radical feminists shouldn't be left anywhere near men or boys issues.

I wasn't talking about the event!!!!!!

I'll say it again, Toxic Masculinity is the language of the radical feminist, it's use has been normalised in modern day culture, so people will use the term in a manner they do not fully understand...radical feminists shouldn't be left anywhere near men or boys issues.

OK.

Hopefully the event will be well attended and useful to the audience.

• Advertisement

OK.

Hopefully the event will be well attended and useful to the audience.

Ya, hopefully.

I hope we don't get a repeat of last year where Minister Harris spend the day with the White Ribbon Charity, a charity that aims to stop men beating their wives, a noble cause and all but the charity that ignores male victims of domestic violence...we need better from our elected leaders!

Advertisement