Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy baby aborted at 15 weeks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

How many of the recommendations made by Sir Sabaratnam Arulkumaran, Professor of Gynaecology at St George's London, have been implemented?

Do you know *any* of the recommendations, apart from the one about clarifying the law on abortion?

You seem to think that I'm anti repeal. I'm not even going to try and argue that because it's so preposterous.

If you want to know how Savita Halappanavar came into this, read back in the thread.
    Anyone who gives a damn about women was concerned about the lack of provision for abortion in Irish law, as there was, AND the serious shortfalls described in the report into Savita Halappanavar's death -- quite an extraordinary series of medical negligence shortcomings.

The woman is still being used in a political dogfight, despite abortion finally being liberalised, and nobody seems to care whether the direct causes of her death as described in the report have been addressed.

That does not do justice to Savita Halappanavar, or to any woman.

I don't think you're anti-repeal, I'm just taking issue with your tack here. For what it's worth while I disagree with you I appreciate and respect that this is a sincerely held good-faith opinion which you put forth despite it being "off message" so to speak, with the people with whom you generally agree in this wider debate.

However I still think it's bullsh1t. I have read that report, I have read this thread.

To my knowledge zero of the recommendations have been implemented but I haven't checked recently. Similarly the ancillary recommendations of the citizens' assembly on the 8th amendment such as universal access to free contraception and sex education reform have stalled. I have brought those issues up when I've been canvassed recently and with the exception of one candidate who was heavily involved with the Cork Together for Yes branch, they literally didn't know what I was talking about.

The woman has become more symbol than person yes, but it's very clear where the people who can be most clearly seen to represent her and her views fall in this debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

But a normal abortion is fine . Isn’t that baby also deprived of life ?

Looney lefties
    That person is anti abortion so I don't know why you're quoting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A group of cells is all it was and unless they have other children they are not parents

I'd say you'd be some comfort to the couple in question. Sometimes it's okay to empathise over pursuing an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Amirani wrote: »
    No, we don't is the answer. Would you like to spend more money to bring all this testing in-house within the HSE?

100%. This should not be being done by private, for-profit organisations - and it certainly shouldn't be being done outside the state, by organisations outside the state. The CervicalCheck scandal should have been evidence enough that the model was flawed.
    From my reading of this case it was the two in-house tests gave the false result where the outsourced one provided the correct result?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

But a normal abortion is fine . Isn’t that baby also deprived of life ?

Looney lefties

Ha first time I've been called a leftie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Id like to post some things but I'd be banned, goodnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

A group of cells is all it was and unless they have other children they are not parents

Shame on you, that poor couple are going through a tragedy losing a child.
    They could read that awful post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Id like to post some things but I'd be banned, goodnight.
    No offence, but pointless post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Shame on you, that poor couple are going through a tragedy losing a child. They could read that awful post

At 15 weeks gestation it isn't a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

• Advertisement

*Drops an apple on the ground*

OMG I just felled an apple tree

• Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Try telling that to a woman who miscarried at 15 weeks, and wanted the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

And here's the other side of the coin. My cousin and his wife were told that their baby likely had a genetic defect and wouldn't live long after birth. They chose to go ahead with the pregnancy given that there was a tiny chance that the doctors were wrong and the baby would be born healthy.

He wasn't born healthy. He was put on life support and lived for 3 days before it was withdrawn. My cousin's wife had to go through nine months of pregnancy and still runs into people who ask her how the baby is, because they haven't heard what happened. They had to organise his funeral basically as soon as he was born. The mental turmoil must be enormous.

Sure, it's easy with hindsight to criticise someone for jumping the gun, but most of the time, these prognoses are accurate.

Try telling that to a woman who miscarried at 15 weeks, and wanted the baby.

I'm curious why do people make stupid suggestions like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I'm curious why do people make stupid suggestions like this?

They might not realize it’s stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Does anyone else think its a bit strange that the couple had all these tests done on their foetus?
    I mean, are they standard nowadays, or is this something you pay extra for?
    Maybe the foetus was undersized or something?

We have 3 kids, didn't even know if they were boys or girls until after they were born. The nurse looking at the ultrasound asked whether we wanted to know in advance, but we said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

recedite wrote: »
    Does anyone else think its a bit strange that the couple had all these tests done on their foetus?

We have 3 kids, didn't even know if they were boys or girls until after they were born. The nurse looking at the ultrasound asked whether we wanted to know in advance, but we said no.

I believe they are offered if the woman is over 35 and/or there is a known disability/FFA in the family.
    My cousin is only 24 and was offered the harmony test because another cousin has Down’s syndrome. Down’s syndrome is chromosomal, not genetic, but they still offered.

I just wonder whether (prospective) parents are becoming too picky.
    The more screening tests you do, the more false positives are going to crop up.

Yes it's a little bit extra (unless it's now changed).

We had a baby almost 1.5 years ago and baby's Mum had the blood screening. I would imagine most women have it done these days. I don't really understand why you wouldn't want to know, whatever your subsequent choice.

Like, do you love surprises that much or..?

I would imagine most women have it done these days.
    Maybe not in the public wards though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

My thoughts are with the parents and the thousands of parents down the years who were in a similar position as this couple, made the same decision and tonight are wondering 'what if'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Its very sad.

Lets not let it happen again.

I don't think i could ever have an abortion ...i am pro-choice for other people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Is Edwards Syndrome even classified as a fatal fetal abnormality? I fear how blurry the lines are going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Great article about right-wing hypocrisy when it comes to abortion.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/abortion-is-immoral-except-when-it-comes-to-my-mistresses

Earlier article, same idea, doesn't name names though:
    http://www.prochoiceactionnetwork-canada.org/articles/anti-tales.shtml

bfa1509 wrote:
    Is Edwards Syndrome even classified as a fatal fetal abnormality? I fear how blurry the lines are going to get.

A quick Google search confirms it is, also referred to as Trisomy 18.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I fear how blurry the lines are going to get.
    Obviously we are not going to accept this one, if it has Downs Syndrome.
    The eyes are too close together on that one.
    This one is too hairy.
    That one is black, I wonder how that happened?
    Nope, that's a girl. We already have one of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Obviously we are not going to accept this one, if it has Downs Syndrome.
    The eyes are too close together on that one.
    This one is too hairy.
    That one is black, I wonder how that happened?
    Nope, that's a girl. We already have one of those.

None of which are likely to lead to the death of the child either before birth or within 28 days so are not grounds for an abortion after 12 weeks.

So not sure what point you’re trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

amcalester wrote: »
    None of which are likely to lead to the death of the child either before birth or within 28 days so are not grounds for an abortion after 12 weeks.

So not sure what point you’re trying to make.

Yeah the point isn't completely clear at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

But to parents expecting it matters, stop trying to brush away their loss to score points on a referendum debate that has already happened. It's the same as the people bitching that they decided to have the abortion in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Aborting a healthy baby on the back of a misdiagnosis. I presume that's what the Liberals would call collateral damage....a small price to pay for giving a dying Catholic Church and Conservative Ireland another kick. And it did lead to the design of a cool emblem and a chance to party when the results were announced.

Forward Ireland to a beautiful future....

Advertisement