Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the fcuking big deal about the Sopranos?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm an idiot who knows nothing.
    You didn’t like it. Fine. There’s no requirement to. But you seem just as annoyed at people liking the show. Which is odd.

I agree.
    My brother and his wife walked out half way through Pulp Fiction in the cinema. (he must be adopted or something). That doesn't mean that it wasn't a great ground breaking movie

Personally I've seen Supranos three times over the last 20 years and I might go a fourth round yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Women without Makeup

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    What a strange and stupid comment.
    Why so? It's a perfect think with their hearts and not their heads and are therefore open to manipulation.

They'll make the same mistake in real life. They'll take back their husband who beats them, etc, etc. The same reason many people voted for Trump...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    First episode of the Supranos is 20 years old now. I think it still stands up as a great show.

Good article here
    http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20190108-the-sopranos-a-revolutionary-show-well-talk-about-forever

I see. So there have been no decent TV shows made in the 20 years since?
    Well there was Nip/Tuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

Nip/Tuck and The Mentalist.

I liked Mad Men just a little bit too.

There's no accounting for taste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭einn32

I loved the Sopranos. Everything in it just worked and was mostly clever in my opinion. Now parts of it were unbelievable in ways but I didn't care I just was totally entertained. I rooted for Tony at the start but in the end I just thought he was a low life as were most of these guys.

I tried the wire but never got in to it.

VeryTerry wrote: »
    There's no accounting for taste
    You're saying you don't think they're good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I hear Neighbours is better than Home and Away these days

Both watchable with the sound off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

dulux99 wrote: »
    At the time it was great. It was before we were blessed with dozens of brilliant series at our fingertips at all times. If someone sits down to watch it now having not watched it at all it probably won't have aged well.

It's actually aged very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

You're saying you don't think they're good.

The Sopranos is like a well written broadsheet while the Mentalist is like the Sun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

LOL...

You dislike the Sopranos because it's about murders yet love a show (per wiki):

The drama is set in a plastic-surgery center, McNamara/Troy, centering on the
    two doctors who own it. Sean McNamara (Dylan Walsh) is often found
    having problems at home due to being seduced by beautiful women on a daily
    basis, and thus tries to keep his family together by patching up the rocky road
    in which his family and he are living
    . Partner Christian Troy
    (
    Julian McMahon), though,
    uses his charm to bring in potential female candidates and conducts vain
    business deals, almost never failing and ending up with dozens of women in
    bed
    . Sean takes his job seriously; he is often found having to fix
    some of Christian's mistakes.

About two womanising plastic surgeons. Go figure :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It might just make me binge watch the pile of steaming manure that was Breaking Bad. What a crappy TV show that was.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It might just make me binge watch the pile of steaming manure that was Breaking Bad. What a crappy TV show that was.

Ugh, I dunno I go back and forth on that tbh. The first two seasons are pretty bad but it really amps up from season 3 into some pretty good TV.

For an all action, leave your brain at the door kind of show though Banshee blows it out of the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

The Sopranos was responsible for killing two shows that should've been let run to completion as both were amazing, Carnivale and Deadwood. The Sopranos was such a success HBO dropped both and added their budgets to the Sopranos bringing it up to close to $1 million per episode

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

The Sopranos was responsible for killing two shows that should've been let run to completion as both were amazing, Carnivale and Deadwood. The Sopranos was such a success HBO dropped both and added their budgets to the Sopranos bringing it up to close to $1 million per episode

I didn't know that.

pity cos deadwood was really good.

Necro wrote: »
    Ugh, I dunno I go back and forth on that tbh. The first two seasons are pretty bad but it really amps up from season 3 into some pretty good TV.

For an all action, leave your brain at the door kind of show though Banshee blows it out of the water.

I was joking. I thought BB was a bit slow at the start but never ever did I think it was bad TV. The OP is obviously stirring things.

I've never watched The Wire but I'd certainly not declare it was a load of crap just because I've not seen it. Game of Thrones isn't my sort of TV and I know I'll definitely never watch that. But again, who am I to say it's rubbish?

Ah that's a shame. I never watched Deadwood but have a friend who raved about it. They were probably victims of being created too soon. They'd stand a better chance of running their course nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I see. So there have been no decent TV shows made in the 20 years since?

There's a handful of shows that basically created well developed and creative TV shows that has led to what we presently have. Eg Breaking Bad The handful that come to mind are Twin Peaks, Oz, The Wire and The Sopranos. Audiences weren't used to TV that you couldn't really dip in and out of. So yep, they revitalised TV.

Our OP might not agree

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I liked Sopranos and Breaking Bad and I absolutely love Wire. But I also quite enjoyed Downtown Abbey or other costume drama. Yes Dowton Abbey became a bit of mush but I don't like when anything aimed at women is dismissed as inferior. Big Little Lies offered just as good acting as True Detective.

As for Sopranos it was well made but I am not overly into mafia stuff. For me The Wire is above everything else, brilliant characters, brilliant acting and (ignoring last season) brilliant storytelling.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »

As for Sopranos it was well made but I am not overly into mafia stuff. For me The Wire is above everything else, brilliant characters, brilliant acting and (ignoring last season) brilliant storytelling.

Yeah I loved the Wire too. But Season 5 (as you mention above) left a sour taste in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The Sopranos had it all.

Visually impressive, from the Pine Barrens in North Jersey to the fairly bland North Jersey townships it nailed the grittiness and the mundane nature of suburban America.

Great character development and execution of believable situations often with humour, everyone one of the characters, including the priest, were drenched in the rotten culture of it all!

Above all else the soundtrack was superb in my opinion ( a fine example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9lbju1WpsQ )

We will never see the likes of The Sopranos again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Dare I say, how did it end up being considered the best show of all time by so many. Is it just that anything about mafia is always considered good tv? Do people pretend to like to look cool... like the way people pretend to think Brando was a good actor. I can't say I've watched the entire series from start to finish. And is it just a coincidence that anyone who likes it also likes 'The Wire'.

I get that there's the shock factor of the way they just murder some poor innocent fellow or the street and then laugh about. I mean that would grab anyone's attention, but it doesn't make it good drama. Especially when you always know who's going to get killed. When Christopher kicked the **** out of a fella in acting the acting class, I could see it coming a mile away.

I can a lot of people who know me well telling me "you'd definitely like it". All I think to myself is "you're so poor at understanding people if you don't if see that someone like me wouldn't be into that".

You seem like the kind of person whose favourite dessert is vanilla ice cream.

Try to expand your mind a bit, read a book or two, and then you might appreciate in depth shows like The Sopranos and The Wire. What makes them great is the amount of detail that goes into them, seeing things from different perspectives and getting inside the lives of multiple people, families and cooperations. There are so many layers to those shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

The Sopranos was and will be the best series I’ll ever see. Not a chance there will be anything to ever match it never mind surpass it. From the first episode to the last, the writing was incredible and the way the characters and the story developed over the years was the best thing about it. For those who haven’t seen it, watch it but before you do - forget that it’s based on the New Jersey Mafia. Just enjoy a quality series. It’s just an incredible show and I’ve about 25 episodes that I keep rewatching because everything about them just draws me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I take it by this statement you're not a fan of The Wire either. In which case you have no business commenting on what's good or bad TV.

Serious question - is the Wire that good? I haven't seen and have no idea what it's about but I think it's on Netflix.
    I need something new to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

The mentalist!

You're the mentalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Quasimodo predicted that someone would start a thread like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Nidge is pretty much an homage to Tony and portrayed in the exact same way.
    Another stupid show. I could see it a MILE away that the guards would NOT be the ones to take down Nidge. I could see it a mile away.

A FCUKING MILE AWAY!
    Again, it wasn't about the plot. It was about the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I take it by this statement you're not a fan of The Wire either. In which case you have no business commenting on what's good or bad TV.

Serious question - is the Wire that good? I haven't seen and have no idea what it's about but I think it's on Netflix.
    I need something new to get into.
    The Wire is amazing! Some series are better than others but overall it's up there as some of the best tv ever. I haven't watched it in a while, think it's time for a rewatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Maybe out there you can go on about Breaking Bad or whaddeverda**** but in dis house it's still da mid 2000s and da Sopranos is still da best TV show in history.

*Breathes heavily through nose*

Advertisement