Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the fcuking big deal about the Sopranos?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

A load of crap. It reminds me of the Godfather in that everybody feels they "have" to like it.
    Generally if you tell people you don't like the sopranos or the Godfather,they will try to explain to you why you're wrong.

Family guy did it very well.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that it's crap.
    Tell us what you think is an excellent tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I'm an idiot who knows nothing.
    Dare I say, how did it end up being considered the best show of all time by so many. Is it just that anything about mafia is always considered good tv? Do people pretend to like to look cool... like the way people pretend to think Brando was a good actor. I can't say I've watched the entire series from start to finish. And is it just a coincidence that anyone who likes it also likes 'The Wire'.

I get that there's the shock factor of the way they just murder some poor innocent fellow or the street and then laugh about. I mean that would grab anyone's attention, but it doesn't make it good drama. Especially when you always know who's going to get killed. When Christopher kicked the **** out of a fella in acting the acting class, I could see it coming a mile away.

I can a lot of people who know me well telling me "you'd definitely like it". All I think to myself is "you're so poor at understanding people if you don't if see that someone like me wouldn't be into that".

NOTE TO MODS - PLEASE REMOVE THAT POLL QUESTION. I DIDN'T PUT IT THERE

... because Meadow Soprano

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Another stupid show. I could see it a MILE away that the guards would NOT be the ones to take down Nidge. I could see it a mile away.

A FCUKING MILE AWAY!

I think I see the problem. You're sitting too far away from the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Dare I say, how did it end up being considered the best show of all time by so many. Is it just that anything about mafia is always considered good tv? Do people pretend to like to look cool... like the way people pretend to think Brando was a good actor. I can't say I've watched the entire series from start to finish. And is it just a coincidence that anyone who likes it also likes 'The Wire'.

I get that there's the shock factor of the way they just murder some poor innocent fellow or the street and then laugh about. I mean that would grab anyone's attention, but it doesn't make it good drama. Especially when you always know who's going to get killed. When Christopher kicked the **** out of a fella in acting the acting class, I could see it coming a mile away.

I can a lot of people who know me well telling me "you'd definitely like it". All I think to myself is "you're so poor at understanding people if you don't if see that someone like me wouldn't be into that".

I feel the same way you do about The Wire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

EM, NO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Ever seen Band of Brothers, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

The Sopranos is the best TV show ever - incredible acting, characters, story lines, music, humour. The Wire is up there too but I think they're very different though.

I find that I can watch one-off episodes of Sopranos and get great satisfaction from them - I would watch Pines Barrens every couple of weeks. That episode alone is an outstanding piece of art.

However I don't think I could do that with the Wire. The Wire requires a bit of investment. In saying that if you take the Wire as a complete series from 1-5 it too is masterpiece.

My view would be the exact opposite. I liked the Sopranos, but wouldn't really re-watch it. The Wire on the other hand, you can pick up little details with every re-watch. I do agree about the individual episodes point though. The Wire has a Novelistic structure for each season, you wouldn't pick up a novel and dip into a chapter here and there. I think that, and the detail in the storytelling and the huge amount of characters,none of whom seem like filler, is why I prefer it. And to the person who said the Wire went downhill after Season three, Season four is I think the best season of any show I've ever seen. It was epic and heartbreaking. Ok, Season five did dip in standard (McNulty and the fake serial killer storyline just seemed a bit off) but that's only in comparison to its own incredible standard.

The Wire/Sopranos debate is a little bit like the Beatles/Stones one. I'm a Beatles man all the way, but. I prefer the Sopranos to the Stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

trashcan wrote: »
    My view would be the exact opposite. I liked the Sopranos, but wouldn't really re-watch it. The Wire on the other hand, you can pick up little details with every re-watch. I do agree about the individual episodes point though. The Wire has a Novelistic structure for each season, you wouldn't pick up a novel and dip into a chapter here and there. I think that, and the detail in the storytelling and the huge amount of characters,none of whom seem like filler, is why I prefer it. And to the person who said the Wire went downhill after Season three, Season four is I think the best season of any show I've ever seen. It was epic and heartbreaking. Ok, Season five did dip in standard (McNulty and the fake serial killer storyline just seemed a bit off) but that's only in comparison to its own incredible standard.

The Wire/Sopranos debate is a little bit like the Beatles/Stones one. I'm a Beatles man all the way, but. I prefer the Sopranos to the Stones.

I liked season two of the wire the best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

You are not gonna f'ucken believe this ....
    Vitto Spatafore is an ASS MUNCHER!!!

Owwwwwww!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I take it by this statement you're not a fan of The Wire either. In which case you have no business commenting on what's good or bad TV.

Nail on the head...very well put;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

TomSweeney wrote: »
    You are not gonna f'ucken believe this ....
    Vitto Spatafore is an ASS MUNCHER!!!

Owwwwwww!!!

****in slander, you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

For anybody who thought the Wire was a good show check out Gomorrah La Serie on Sky Atlantic.

Series 4 begins 29th March so plenty of time to catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

troyzer wrote: »
    Special mention to the West Wing which has also doubled as escapism therapy since January 2017.

I personally have The West Wing ahead of The Wire and the Sopranos. For me The Wire is second and The Sopranos a close third.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Bambi wrote: »
    ****in slander, you ask me!

Tell you one thing, if it was me this kid was spreadin' rumors about, he'd have somethin' up his own ass. And it wouldn't be no cock either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    OP obviously never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

But some of those guys at Seaton Hall were seven feet tall!

Tell you one thing, if it was me this kid was spreadin' rumors about, he'd have somethin' up his own ass. And it wouldn't be no cock either

Yeah? Maybe you're a flambé!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    A load of crap. It reminds me of the Godfather in that everybody feels they "have" to like it.
    Generally if you tell people you don't like the sopranos or the Godfather,they will try to explain to you why you're wrong.

Family guy did it very well.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that it's crap.
    Tell us what you think is an excellent tv show.

Oz.

That was an excellent TV show

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

tigerboon wrote: »
    For anybody who thought the Wire was a good show check out Gomorrah La Serie on Sky Atlantic.

Series 4 begins 29th March so plenty of time to catch up

Unfortunately series 4 is a load of pap.

It has one or two decent moments but it's a mere shadow of the greatness of series 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

20th Reunion

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

My favourite TV show of all time without a doubt.

The writing, direction, acting ability of the main and supporting cast, the drama, the comedy ... for me it has everything.

Have watched the series at least 7 times over and will watch the Blu Ray set this year having recently purchased it.

Even did the tour about 10 years ago in NYC, well worth it if you are a fan of the show and plan on visiting the states soon. Met Joseph Gannascoli (Vito!) at the start of the tour and visited the locations such as the diner from the last scene (Don't Stop Believing was being played on loop, they gave free onion rings to all). Tour ended in Satin Dolls aka The Bada Bing. Dancer on stage but not topless, the show lied to us, its illegal in the state of New Jersey to serve alcohol while topless... who knew!!

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    20th Reunion

Paulie still wearing those white shoes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It was good, occasionally very good, but wouldn't class it as "the best of all time". Once they ramped up the secondary characters as opposed to teenage angst and the wife it got much better though.

IMO shows like House of Cards (forgetting the generally abysmal final season), Game of Thrones, or The Shield are far better. Get you hooked from the start and far more consistent quality-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

dulux99 wrote: »
    At the time it was great. It was before we were blessed with dozens of brilliant series at our fingertips at all times. If someone sits down to watch it now having not watched it at all it probably won't have aged well.

Nah, I mean I watched it in 2014 for the first time and was blown away. Had a friend who only watched it last year and thought it was one of the best things he's watched. It's ageless really. As most master pieces are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means but for me, it has some of the best writing of any TV show I've watched.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The show was all about James Gandolfini. Such a powerful actor.
    One moment he could be a soft family-man buffoon sitting in his favorite chair eating ice cream. The next scene he could be the most violent, angry and imposing person in the world.
    I bought into every scene that he was in. Unbelievable.

Secondary is the story and writing.

Finally is the ensemble cast who were all really strong actors that brought the writing to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

trashcan wrote: »
    My view would be the exact opposite. I liked the Sopranos, but wouldn't really re-watch it. The Wire on the other hand, you can pick up little details with every re-watch.

The Sopranos is the same. I watched season 4 again a while back and noticed little bits and pieces that I never did the first time. I’m going to rewatch season 5 in the next week or two and I can’t wait. It’s just an incredible show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Sopranos was pretty great, but best TV?
    Nah.
    Bad poll is bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Encouraged

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    The Mentalist is rubbish. Same format for every episode.
    You could say the exact same thing about any other crime program. Anything from Midsomer Murders to CSI.

You could learn a lot more about life from the Mentalist's powers of observation than you could learn from the Sopranos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭Epic Eir Epic

Necro wrote: »
    LOL...

You dislike the Sopranos because it's about murders yet love a show (per wiki):

About two womanising plastic surgeons. Go figure :confused:

That womanising plastic surgeon was certainly more of a man than Tony Soprano, a man who asked his shrink out and then cried when she said no!! Lol

Christian Troy is a God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hDRQzFESrM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sopranos was pretty great, but best TV?
    Nah.
    Bad poll is bad.

Not for nothing, but what the f***.

Advertisement