Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Father Ted ever die?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

It holds a place as it was a programme that took the mic out of the church when nobody was doing that, it's still popular as the church is in a massive decline especially with people under 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

OK, one last time. These are small… but the ones out there are far away. Small… far away

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It was terrible crap. The same drivel in every episode. "Will you have a cup of tea?". "The money was just resting in my account". "DRINK FECK ARSE GIRLS". Any other 'comedy' that relied on the same few catchphrases repeated ad infinitum would be vilified.

Like Little Britain.
    Fawlty Towers.
    The list is probably endless,can't be bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It was terrible crap. The same drivel in every episode. "Will you have a cup of tea?". "The money was just resting in my account". "DRINK FECK ARSE GIRLS". Any other 'comedy' that relied on the same few catchphrases repeated ad infinitum would be vilified.

I don't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Well with utter morons like Jennifer Maguire (shes a ride tbf) and that Callan idiot is it any wonder we think back to actual comedies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

Chewing gum for the eyes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It's a good show, but I'm sick to death of having it shoved in my face constantly, there are some good lines but not worthy of repetition every single day for 20 years.

On comedy since then I thought the second season of Hardy Bucks was quite good.

Can't wait to see what hilarious quote someone will respond to this with in order to pick up a few thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

On comedy since then I thought he second season of Hardy Bucks was quite good.

Can't wait to see what hilarious quote someone will respond to this with in order to pick up a few thanks.

Your ould lady has worms.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

mikom wrote: »
    Your ould lady has worms.

You're as mad as a bag of shpiders

Funny first time round. Since it became apparent it was actually a documentary it's become even funnier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'm not sure it's held up that well, though the prolific quotebots on Boards may have drained it of much of the charm it once possessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

what about paths to freedom? far better than fr ted.

Criminally underrated, the spin off film about Rats 'Spin the Bottle' was also hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

D'Oh, Aye carumba, don't have a cow man, eat my shorts, (disapproving) mmmmmmmm, Hi Everybody!, thank you and come again, huh-hee-hee-hee, release the hounds, etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Only problem with that is that it was a Channel 4 show, made for their UK viewers.....

Edit: it won 2 BAFTAs for best comedy, and was voted C4's greatest comedy series by its viewers a couple of years back (thanks Wikipedia!)... So unless there isn't a border between Ireland and the UK you're talkin through yer hole!
    Not at all. Ireland and the UK have extremely similar cultures, especially when it comes to humour so most shows translate between audiences almost seamlessly.

The show does also have a bit of a cult following in Australia and North America, but it's a very, very small one. It was brilliant in its time, but truth is I think it has aged pretty badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

and Fergus's Wedding! Another show that was well before it's time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnQ5jcooF_0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

father ted is the greatest comedy TV ever made.
    saw chris the unhappy sheep episode the other night, brilliant. Genius.

I like FT, and don't mind the quotes, it's just when there's a quote thrown in everything for the sake of it that it starts to wear very thin. Things that are scarce can become precious, things that are plentiful you get sick of.

For Ted's sake, keep the references for when it's really apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It was in its hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Great comedy, still makes me laugh but people quoting it on here endlessly is annoying.

Same as those people in real life who quote it thinking they're the first people in history to say "careful now" or "down with that sort of thing". Tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

The show is almost 20 years old and still we have self-proclaimed comedians quoting the same 5 predictable lines on a daily basis in futile attempts to be funny. It is heralded as the pinnacle of Irish comedy, never to be unseated from it pedestal, and has assumed a bizarre status as a national pop-culture asset. Every single protest in this country is guaranteed to have several chromosomally-disadvantaged yobs holding "careful now" signs. How do fully mentally developed, mature adults still find this amusing?

Look, the show was great in its hey-day, but maybe it's time to move on? Frankly I find it embarrassing that we haven't produced anything greater or equal to it since. The continuous adoration rained upon it is cringe worthy.

I'm sure someone will gleefully rush in here to respond "if you ever say that again, I'll put your head through the wall". Just know that your not funny in advance. Thanks.

IT wasn't even produced by 'us'. It was made by a British-based production company and first shown on UK tv (granted, with a lot of Irish involvement on the writing and acting front).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I don't believe it!

I don't believe it!

Careful now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

kneemos wrote: »
    Careful now.

SPOON! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Will Father Ted ever die?

Certainly not, as long as Boards.ie is still fucntioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

Candie wrote: »
    For Ted's sake, keep the references for when it's really apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gmarty

That would be an ecumenical matter !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Indeed. I went to a Bollywood flick last yeara and it was almost sold out. Well the place was in tears laughing at it. Side splitting laughter, howling and I was like what in the name of God is happening. It was the biggest load of tripe you have ever seen. It was like I was being pranked.

I do like Indian films usually though (Piku, Bang Bang, two recent gems.. it's just their all out comedies that I find weird. So, yeah, spot on. Some comedy just doesn't travel.

I hear you're a racist now, Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gmarty

I hear you're a racist now, Ted.

Ride me Sideways is another one 😜

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

No, it just looks dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'd say that would be an ecumenical matter

Advertisement