Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Center Parcs Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Salmon wrote: »
    Quick Question for anyone who has stayed at CP.
    We live relatively close to the site and i'm contemplating booking a midweek break (e499 at the minute!), would it be difficult to leave the accommodation in the morning and bring the kids to school during the day. I would collect them after school and be back to the park at around 3:30 or so with the kids once they leave school. I know it sounds mad, but i'm living around 20 mins from the site!
    Also, what time does the pool etc close at this time of the year? Any advice?
    Physically it wouldn't be difficult to leave in the mornings. You just drive out and they'll open the barrier. You'll get a sticker on check in for your windscreen so you can get back in later. But actually wanting to leave especially to go to school will be another story!! We had to leave for a few hours on the Sun morn as my son had sports commitments so we were gone almost half a day. Perhaps consider sending them to school on check in and check out day and missing school for the one or 2 days inbetween. If they go to school each day, they won't get to do any of the activities in CP, when they get in from school they'll want to eat and need to do homework so that cuts into their time. The pool stays open til 9, but I think the big slides close at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Advice?

Yeah, cut them a bit of slack and give them a few days off!

😆😆 Yeah that was the plan! I don't think I'd leave them off for the week thou! Makes it an easier sell to the better half if we can get them to school on a couple of days! Thanks all, does it take long to get from the accommodation to the car in the mornings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Depends where your house is, and if you cycle. There is a map of the complex on their site.

5 mins by bike, could be 30 mins walking from the furthest part maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

anyone book a lodge with a sauna, is it worth the extra money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

jfh wrote: »
    anyone book a lodge with a sauna, is it worth the extra money?

I used it twice in total and being totally honest, the second time was more to justify the expense I wasted. It was a novelty more than anything. I won't book one again. Now, if only the hot tubs were in the cheaper tiers....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Anyone been down of late?

I'm heading for a week from Dec 27th, interested to know what the place looks like for Xmas & New Year, am sure decor is up now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Monokne wrote: »
    Anyone been down of late?

I'm heading for a week from Dec 27th, interested to know what the place looks like for Xmas & New Year, am sure decor is up now

Has been for weeks. lights everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Len_007

I heard it said, can’t remember where, that it’s possible to order a shop with Tesco & they will deliver to your cabin.
    Can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Len_007 wrote: »
    I heard it said, can’t remember where, that it’s possible to order a shop with Tesco & they will deliver to your cabin.
    Can anyone confirm this?

If your on Facebook there is a group for people asking questions of people who have been. That’s the place to ask for sure but beware it’s the same questions over and over so get out once you get your answer.

Len_007 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm this?

This seems very very unlikely to me, given the security at the gate, the fact they've their own supermarket they want you to use, and the fact that the whole setup is to prevent any vehicles from being driven around the entire complex other than on changeover days (Mon & Fri).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Despite not being my type of holiday and saying here i would never go, my family talked me into it. I was not looking forward to it but the kids were so I thought, I suppose this is parenthood.

Check in, pretty simples, we arrived early, got our bands, parked our car and walked around for 2 hours with the kids and dog, got our bikes and other things while we waited. family went in to the house just before opening, and I went up and got the car to drive down. All very nice most people being pleasant, as always there were two toss pots who drover against traffic to get to their places quickly 30 seconds as opposed to 2 minutes, prats.

Anyway, all settled in, houses were warm and clean, settled in nice and quickly. I wouldn't bother with a fire unless you like the look, they don't increase the warmth. Staff are al really friendly and as a longford native, it is hilarious to hear everyone speaking with such manners.

Pool was great, I wouldn't spend as much time there if I went back again but the youngest loved it and would have stayed there dawn till dusk. Went down the water rapids while it was snowing which was weird, having ice hit your torso while warm water carried you down the rapids, swimming with your head getting pelted with hail stones was another genuinely lovely experience. Huge amount of lifeguards, pool are is really well run and lovely overall. i'd avoid the food, it is chipper food and just meh, its the smell of a chipper when your near and it takes you out of the general vibe of the place.

Outdoor activities were great, really well run, aimed at the kids but plenty of fun for the parents too, will spend more time walking round the wood when brought back.

Now for the one of two negatives. The american bar, and the fact that you basically have to walk through a bar to get to the family indoor activity centre. i think that is poor layout and just feels cheap and tacky, really awful design, there should be a separate entrance for both.

The second the food, it was reasonably priced, not expensive at all, in fact the shop on site is incredibly reasonable and on par if not cheaper than your typical Spar or Centra. The downside is, we tried alot of the food. It was not bad, it was reasonably priced but it just wasn't that amazing it was just acceptable to good. I go for a take out or eat out, I want better than good. It was all well cooked, really fresh (except avacados, whatever they serve when they say Avacdos, it is not, it is green baby mush), but nothing of note or interest.

Long story short, would I recommend it, if you have kids definitely. One of the few kid friendly holidays where the adults don't feel like chaperones but actually get a holiday as well. Facilities are top notch, staff are excellent and everything is reasonably priced. They need to sort out having to walk through a bar for the family centre, and be better with the food (which was not bad).

Alot of people on the FB page looking for childminders for the Spa etc. If you go to CP looking to get a break from your kids, it is simply not the holiday for you, don't go.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Alot of people on the FB page looking for childminders for the Spa etc. If you go to CP looking to get a break from your kids, it is simply not the holiday for you, don't go.

This is 100% accurate.

This is 100% accurate.

Yeah it’s a full on family holiday. I’d say there’s plenty of mums heading to the spa whilst there but I’d think if your looking for babysitters so a pair of ye can nip off for a few hours then you’ve booked the wrong holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭gifted

Despite not being my type of holiday and saying here i would never go, my family talked me into it. I was not looking forward to it but the kids were so I thought, I suppose this is parenthood.

Check in, pretty simples, we arrived early, got our bands, parked our car and walked around for 2 hours with the kids and dog, got our bikes and other things while we waited. family went in to the house just before opening, and I went up and got the car to drive down. All very nice most people being pleasant, as always there were two toss pots who drover against traffic to get to their places quickly 30 seconds as opposed to 2 minutes, prats.

Anyway, all settled in, houses were warm and clean, settled in nice and quickly. I wouldn't bother with a fire unless you like the look, they don't increase the warmth. Staff are al really friendly and as a longford native, it is hilarious to hear everyone speaking with such manners.

Pool was great, I wouldn't spend as much time there if I went back again but the youngest loved it and would have stayed there dawn till dusk. Went down the water rapids while it was snowing which was weird, having ice hit your torso while warm water carried you down the rapids, swimming with your head getting pelted with hail stones was another genuinely lovely experience. Huge amount of lifeguards, pool are is really well run and lovely overall. i'd avoid the food, it is chipper food and just meh, its the smell of a chipper when your near and it takes you out of the general vibe of the place.

Outdoor activities were great, really well run, aimed at the kids but plenty of fun for the parents too, will spend more time walking round the wood when brought back.

Now for the one of two negatives. The american bar, and the fact that you basically have to walk through a bar to get to the family indoor activity centre. i think that is poor layout and just feels cheap and tacky, really awful design, there should be a separate entrance for both.

The second the food, it was reasonably priced, not expensive at all, in fact the shop on site is incredibly reasonable and on par if not cheaper than your typical Spar or Centra. The downside is, we tried alot of the food. It was not bad, it was reasonably priced but it just wasn't that amazing it was just acceptable to good. I go for a take out or eat out, I want better than good. It was all well cooked, really fresh (except avacados, whatever they serve when they say Avacdos, it is not, it is green baby mush), but nothing of note or interest.

Long story short, would I recommend it, if you have kids definitely. One of the few kid friendly holidays where the adults don't feel like chaperones but actually get a holiday as well. Facilities are top notch, staff are excellent and everything is reasonably priced. They need to sort out having to walk through a bar for the family centre, and be better with the food (which was not bad).

Hiya,

Can I ask how long did you go for and how much did it cost? Pm if you want. No bother if you don't. Thanks.

gifted wrote: »
    Hiya,

Can I ask how long did you go for and how much did it cost? Pm if you want. No bother if you don't. Thanks.

Went Monday to Friday. I think it was €499 (might have been slightly less) for a 3 bedroom place. It had been €399 but we were waiting for payday and to get it back down to that we would have ad to wait another month. We also had two dogs with us which added on €80. This was weird as the quote came through as €499 when we put the dogs and kids in but later in the process they add on a bit extra for the dogs, which I thought was poor form, why not do it at the beginning.

If your asking would I pay more for it, before I went, i was a bit annoyed to pay the extra but in hindsight, it was great value and would have happily paid more. Drove from North Wicklow down in less than 2 hours, queuing was long but very efficient and we got through quickly. Kids and dogs loved it, there is a kennel up the road for a reasonable price if you want but we kept them in the house and took a stroll back and forth to bring them out for walks and breaks. Would I pay €3000, nope, but that is because I wold never pay that much for a holiday but I certainly would pay alot more than what we did.

Occupancy was 98% the week we were there, it was full but not packed, it never felt like you waited to much for anything. My partner has a fascination with this stuff and quizzed one of the managers and they admitted, never expected it to be as popular as it is, ahead of their targets all the time out of season.

Could adults only go, definitely, couple beside us did, had their two dogs, seemed to love every minute of it. I know of one hen party that went because alot of them either had kids or were elderly, they spent their time walking around, at the spar and pool, co worker said they were all planning on coming back before they had left.

It has a wide range of appeal but definitely aimed at the family unit, but (and i wouldn't go without family) it certainly would suit other groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭gifted

Went Monday to Friday. I think it was €499 (might have been slightly less) for a 3 bedroom place. It had been €399 but we were waiting for payday and to get it back down to that we would have ad to wait another month. We also had two dogs with us which added on €80. This was weird as the quote came through as €499 when we put the dogs and kids in but later in the process they add on a bit extra for the dogs, which I thought was poor form, why not do it at the beginning.

If your asking would I pay more for it, before I went, i was a bit annoyed to pay the extra but in hindsight, it was great value and would have happily paid more. Drove from North Wicklow down in less than 2 hours, queuing was long but very efficient and we got through quickly. Kids and dogs loved it, there is a kennel up the road for a reasonable price if you want but we kept them in the house and took a stroll back and forth to bring them out for walks and breaks. Would I pay €3000, nope, but that is because I wold never pay that much for a holiday but I certainly would pay alot more than what we did.

Occupancy was 98% the week we were there, it was full but not packed, it never felt like you waited to much for anything. My partner has a fascination with this stuff and quizzed one of the managers and they admitted, never expected it to be as popular as it is, ahead of their targets all the time out of season.

Could adults only go, definitely, couple beside us did, had their two dogs, seemed to love every minute of it. I know of one hen party that went because alot of them either had kids or were elderly, they spent their time walking around, at the spar and pool, co worker said they were all planning on coming back before they had left.

It has a wide range of appeal but definitely aimed at the family unit, but (and i wouldn't go without family) it certainly would suit other groups.

€499 and €80 for the dogs? And that was for four nights?
    Apologies for the questions, looking at alternative places to try this year. Sounds like a reasonable place

Apologies for the questions, looking at alternative places to try this year. Sounds like a reasonable place

If you avoid school holidays you can get decent prices. If you try to go when the kids are off, it's big money.

If you avoid school holidays you can get decent prices. If you try to go when the kids are off, it's big money.

Yep, off peak. I suspect it is alot more on peak.

It was the guts of 2 grand to go over Xmas - new year for a week!

It’s pricey during school holidays. If you can do off peak it’s significantly cheaper. Beware on comparing prices as the accommodation ranges from 2 person up to 8 and you basically pay for what you choose not the amount of people you bring. Under2s free. There is also different types of accommodation, we went for the basic 2 bed woodland lodge and they are great. You can pay more for fancier ones with hot tubs and games rooms but not sure I’d be bothered. You are out and about all day and frankly we were in bed early. The kids went to bed we had a gin and tonic and went to bed early. It’s full on during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Got here yesterday, didnt do much by the time we unpacked due to the horrible weather. The place does seem a little understaffed - we've had one of the activities that we booked cancelled due to one person being off sick for the week. We went to the soft play area in the sports bar at 2.30, and it was closed while someone was on their lunch break. Surely a place like this should be able to cover breaks.

Food in the Sports bar was ok but really expensive - €62 for 2 roast chicken meals and 2 kids meals. I had read good things about the indian restaurant, but they're not true. I've eaten enough Pataks Balti paste and shop bought naan to know it when I taste it.

On the plus side, the lodge is really nice, the supermarket has pretty much everything you could need, and the pool looks amazing. Looking forward to seeing more over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Anybody booked in over the next few months?

We're due in 5 weeks, cancellation fee is 50% so don't want to cancel but not keen on it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Anybody booked in over the next few months?

We're due in 5 weeks, cancellation fee is 50% so don't want to cancel but not keen on it anymore

Why??

It's closed at the minute ain't it.

FFVII wrote: »
    Why??

It's closed at the minute ain't it.

Until the 30th March
    They won't take calls on bookings after this date yet

Hard to social distance in the tropical pool

Yeah no way it'll be back open, you'll get your full refund.

Yeah no way it'll be back open, you'll get your full refund.

Hopefully

Its 5 weeks until were due there but would rather leave it 5 months at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yeah, we are booked for July, and I think we will be cancelled.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

We're booked in for April. Got an email to say we can change our dates without an admin fee. Just pay the difference in cabin price. Can't see April happening though so holding out for a full refund.

We're booked in for April. Got an email to say we can change our dates with an admin fee. Just pay the difference in cabin price. Can't see April happening though so holding out for a full refund.

I think that's poor form, loads of places offering this at no charge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I think that's poor form, loads of places offering this at no charge.

Damn autocorrect. Without! WITHOUT! My bad

Advertisement