Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2014-2015 talk/gossip/rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Any other new on signings? Hearing Terenure are chasing everybody and Clontarf have a huge number of backs and especially back 3's coming in, Young Munster seem that they will definetly be a lot stronger and won't be far off the top I would say, Belvo's new lads could do damage if they stay healthy and Con will have a few of their All Ireland winning 20's coming thru especially at front row which will add great depth there. Will the AIL Champions be outside of Leinster this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Won't be outside of Dublin !

• Registered Users Posts: 25 stars20

I don't think that's true about Terenure. Where did u hear that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Yeah nearly sure he is Waterpark originally, good few lads playing top class senior rugby coming out of Waterpark the last few years and south east in general. Don't know much about McSwiney seen him play twice and was good big strong looking unit, if he was with Con and playing regularly he can't be to bad
    He is Waterford. There is serious potential in Waterford and they eventually will go senior again and do well when they do as a lot of the top players from Waterford don't stick with them to play at adult level or 20s as they go away for college and play with senior clubs elsewhere. There is plenty more academy and pro potential in south east
    Any other new on signings? Hearing Terenure are chasing everybody and Clontarf have a huge number of backs and especially back 3's coming in, Young Munster seem that they will definetly be a lot stronger and won't be far off the top I would say, Belvo's new lads could do damage if they stay healthy and Con will have a few of their All Ireland winning 20's coming thru especially at front row which will add great depth there. Will the AIL Champions be outside of Leinster this season?
    Would be surprised at Nure looking at a lot of players considering season they had last season. Wouldn't be so sure on Munsters being far off top but itll depend totally on key few players staying fit
    AIL champs will not be outside Dublin. 6 Dublin clubs makes chances of it not being one of them very difficult

stars20 wrote: »

know of approx 6 lads who were apprtoched directly and if I know of 6 definetly a lot more I don't know of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Stainalert

They lost Trenier to Ulster academy so guess they are definitely chasing a prop or 2. Didn't see them play too much last year so couldn't really comment on where else they might need to strengthen. I would expect them to be very competitive though regardless of recruits

Approaching 6 players? I don't consider that chasing everyone. I'm sure plenty of clubs have done the same. Sure we will see when the transfers come out who have done the most business

Do we have a Jim White for transfer deadline day? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Board_man

Has anyone heard of players leaving/arriving into the UCD system?
    20s or Seniors..
    Surely they lose players every year due to people finishing college etc

Board_man wrote: »
    20s or Seniors..

It's an open club so players can stay on even if they are no longer studying

Thornton gone to Terenure

McGroarty, Clarkin and Joyce gone travelling for the year

Rumour of a couple gone to Clontarf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Stainalert wrote: »

It will be interesting to see who leaves UCD, Coughlan, Byrne and Daly should be in demand.

Max Macfarland has signed with Edinburgh. Mick McGrath training with Leinster, hope he gets a development contract. More potential than Fanning.

bamboozle wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see who leaves UCD, Coughlan, Byrne and Daly should be in demand.

Max Macfarland has signed with Edinburgh. Mick McGrath training with Leinster, hope he gets a development contract. More potential than Fanning.

Could see Coughlan, Byrne and Daly all going to Clontarf?

Coughlan is a local lad? Byrne's brother already there and Daly would cover the McFarland loss pretty well

I heard Fitzpatrick Irish u20 wing is leaving lansdowne and going to Tarf

I heard Fitzpatrick Irish u20 wing is leaving lansdowne and going to Tarf

Strange move given he made Irish U'20s last year and got into the Leinster academy not to mention all the wingers Clontarf are rumoured to have signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Did I hear right that Mick McGrath was training with Leinster in the preseason? How does that work, can an established AIL player go into the Academy if they wanted him? Or could they just bring him in and train with the senior squad?

.ak wrote: »
    Did I hear right that Mick McGrath was training with Leinster in the preseason? How does that work, can an established AIL player go into the Academy if they wanted him? Or could they just bring him in and train with the senior squad?
    He could very well have been. He just trained with them. If he was to sign any form of contract he wouldn't go into the academy as a 23 year old outside back. He could just be training so Leinster can see what he's like and if they think he is at the required level they could sign him on short term training contract again or possibly a development contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ah yeah, that's what I thought.

So basically you're telling me that chances of climbing from J5 to AIL and then into the Leinster squad are still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

So basically you're telling me that chances of climbing from J5 to AIL and then into the Leinster squad are still alive.
    Ah the Kevin Nowlan dream

Board_man wrote: »
    20s or Seniors..
    Any number of school leavers...
    Theyre not fully open club

Not fully open club. Have to have been student at one time though.

Been done before....

Connacht League starts tomorrow. Lot of friendlies being played over last few days and next few ahead of a lot of sides first competitive games next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rugby addict

Mick McGrath's brother, Rob is moving to Clontarf to fill the the McFarland gap so I'd be surprised if Fitzpatrick (Who played Ail at the end of last season with lansdowne ) would move there as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

Ive heard that Cian O'Donoghue (Clongowes Winger) has been offered a Contract with the Clontarf Senior team.

• Advertisement

Ive heard that Cian O'Donoghue (Clongowes Winger) has been offered a Contract with the Clontarf Senior team.
    There wouldn't be any contract signed. He would just sign up transfer forms etc but wouldn't be signing a contract.

Mick McGrath's brother, Rob is moving to Clontarf to fill the the McFarland gap so I'd be surprised if Fitzpatrick (Who played Ail at the end of last season with lansdowne ) would move there as well.

They could of course hope to sign both. Didnt realise he had a brother playing with Barnhall. The Q for a back 3 spots at Lansdowne is pretty crowded, maybe Fitzpatrick thought moving would get him more game time. He would be a good signing.

IRFU usually list all the summer transfers in July, either the date for registrations has changed or the IRFU are showing less interest in the AIL...the latter would be my suspicion.

They could of course hope to sign both. Didnt realise he had a brother playing with Barnhall. The Q for a back 3 spots at Lansdowne is pretty crowded, maybe Fitzpatrick thought moving would get him more game time. He would be a good signing.

IRFU usually list all the summer transfers in July, either the date for registrations has changed or the IRFU are showing less interest in the AIL...the latter would be my suspicion.

You would think / hope a Leinster academy player would back himself regardless of the competition?

There hasn't been a change in date for registrations and IRFU aren't showing less interest in UBL
    You would think / hope a Leinster academy player would back himself regardless of the competition?
    Yes but you have to look at how much gametime you get... back himself 100% but not enough game time and he loses out

Heard a rumour that Barry Daly no longer in UCD - Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lukey967

Jerry Sexton has gone to Exeter on a trial up until Christmas!

All the talk about Terenure having lots to spend is true. They and Clontarf received a big sum at the beginning of last season from some guy provides the cooking materials to all mcdonalds outlets around Europe. Cannot remember what his name is.
    Sounds completely Bizzare but it I true!

There hasn't been a change in date for registrations and IRFU aren't showing less interest in UBL

Yes but you have to look at how much gametime you get... back himself 100% but not enough game time and he loses out

From what I hear Lansdowne are chasing back 3's and is a an area they need to strenghten? Long term injuries posing a problem so Fitzpatrick move would seem very odd if this is the case especially as he finished seson playing last 2 or 3 games with Lansdowne Senior team, strong rumour from people in the know that it is not a move for rugby reasons, could be one of those testers for the new IRFU rules?? Also certain clubs still offering accomadation regardless of new rules and lots of players being hired as "strength and conditioning" coaches which as predicted makes a mockery of the IRFU and its rules!! will be interesting to see if IRFU will respond or just sit in D4 and stay stum???

Heard a rumour that Barry Daly no longer in UCD - Can anyone confirm?
    He could have. Hopefully we'll see list of transfers released by each of the provincial branches/irfu soon enough
    From what I hear Lansdowne are chasing back 3's and is a an area they need to strenghten? Long term injuries posing a problem so Fitzpatrick move would seem very odd if this is the case especially as he finished seson playing last 2 or 3 games with Lansdowne Senior team, strong rumour from people in the know that it is not a move for rugby reasons, could be one of those testers for the new IRFU rules?? Also certain clubs still offering accomadation regardless of new rules and lots of players being hired as "strength and conditioning" coaches which as predicted makes a mockery of the IRFU and its rules!! will be interesting to see if IRFU will respond or just sit in D4 and stay stum???
    Wouldn't be throwing out x moving for x reason especially money....
    Can people stop saying IRFU will do nothing. The season hasn't really started so nobody knows what IRFU will do/not do?

Any thoughts on blogs covering club rugby? This is one ive found but is there many others?
    http://allirelandclubrugby.wordpress.com/

Didn't say they would do nothing but asked the question will they do anything!

Confidence wouldn't be high but we will wait and see

That is very naive of you!

• Advertisement

That is very naive of you!
    No it isn't at all and I said I wouldn't be going round saying player is moving because of _____. That's all

Probably irrelevant anyhow as if Lansdowne really want him they won't let him leave as deadline has passed unless it has already happened prior to deadline but if he is playing this week for either team it might be a giveaway! Won't be at either game involving clubs so if anyone is and he is there let us know.

lukey967 wrote: »

All the talk about Terenure having lots to spend is true. They and Clontarf received a big sum at the beginning of last season from some guy provides the cooking materials to all mcdonalds outlets around Europe. Cannot remember what his name is.

Interest free loan apparently

lukey967 wrote: »

Just to clarify this, i believe Clontarf have been offered a very generous 'loan', though there are clear conditions attached, its to cover the installation of all weather training facilities and these facilities have to be made available to the community. Its certainly not money to throw around.

On the clubs having money to spend, both Clontarf and Terenure's bars are open 7 days with full-time staff, which presumably turn in a bit of profit, greatly helped with the Friday night lights games which draw a great crowd. This got me thinking do many clubs have fulltime bars, presume most of the 1a and 1b do.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SA09

Just to clarify this, i believe Clontarf have been offered a very generous 'loan', though there are clear conditions attached, its to cover the installation of all weather training facilities and these facilities have to be made available to the community. Its certainly not money to throw around.

On the clubs having money to spend, both Clontarf and Terenure's bars are open 7 days with full-time staff, which presumably turn in a bit of profit, greatly helped with the Friday night lights games which draw a great crowd. This got me thinking do many clubs have fulltime bars, presume most of the 1a and 1b do.

I believe that similar to clontarf, terenures interest free loan is for installation of all weather pitches amongst other things. Certainly don't think it's for player recruitment, otherwise leinster players would be snapped up!!

I wouldn't say most of 1A/1B clubs have full time bars. Many in Dublin will have full time bar stewards who open daily but outside of Dublin and the odd club in Limerick, Cork it just doesn't happen. Not enough would use club for it to be feasible.

Interestingly Cashel and Cork Cons clash next weekend in quarter final of Cork Charity Cup doubles up as the final of last season's competition which was never played

SA09 wrote: »
    I believe that similar to clontarf, terenures interest free loan is for installation of all weather pitches amongst other things. Certainly don't think it's for player recruitment, otherwise leinster players would be snapped up!!

Would be daft to spend borrowed money on player recruitment. Have to admire what Terenure are trying to do and great they are getting access to cheap finance to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Garryowen played Munsters last night in a training game, went for 30 mins of it, Garryowen won 3 tries to 1, they looked fairly full strength, most of the pack last season started with the exception of Kavanagh obviously, same with their backline with only 1 or 2 missing.

Munsters looked fairly understrength, they had about 5 starters from last season and Rob Guerin who played the first half. Goggin, Dee, Lyons, Slattery, Cotter were all out watching so would expect them to strengthen and some Munster U20's to also come into that team.

@lost sheep no match previews for leinster/Munster league games?

You must be saving yourself for ail

• Advertisement

@lost sheep no match previews for leinster/Munster league games?

You must be saving yourself for ail
    Might be doing some writing on AIL elsewhere so not many previews here im afraid

Might be doing some writing on AIL elsewhere so not many previews here im afraid

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/12284.php#.U_duHmcg_Gg

Lansdowne v Wesley
    Expect Wesley to be much improved as they have strengthened a lot by all accounts. Lansdowne like most 1A teams will be missing all their rep players so expect this to be close with Lansdowne to sneak it

Bective v Old Belvedere
    Belvo pre-season form was terrible last season - seem to have recruited well though so expect them to win well - having said that Bective are a bit of an unknown quantity

Seapoint v Terenure
    Terenure may struggle in the front 5 but expect them to win well all the same.

UCD v Barnhall
    UCD BP win

Blackrock v St Marys
    If there is going to be an upset this could be it as I expect Blackrock to be a lot better under Emmet Farrell. Given Marys have recruited a few Blackrock school leavers expect a few fireworks. Still fancy Marys to tough it out.

Naas v Wanderers
    Naas will play good open rugby but Wanderers have recruited well so could be very even. Naas just about

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/12284.php#.U_duHmcg_Gg

Lansdowne v Wesley
    Expect Wesley to be much improved as they have strengthened a lot by all accounts. Lansdowne like most 1A teams will be missing all their rep players so expect this to be close with Lansdowne to sneak it Wesley have strengthened a lot but Lansdowne will win by 7-15 IMO

Bective v Old Belvedere
    Belvo pre-season form was terrible last season - seem to have recruited well though so expect them to win well - having said that Bective are a bit of an unknown quantity Bective have aspirations of doing well this season and looking at promotion but Belvedere will win this up in Glenamuck

Seapoint v Terenure
    Terenure may struggle in the front 5 but expect them to win well all the same.
    Terenure to win by 20+. Seapoint play good brand of rugby but don't have firepower to get a win against a 1A side

UCD v Barnhall
    UCD BP win Barnhall will run UCD close but UCD will win by 10 or so

Blackrock v St Marys
    If there is going to be an upset this could be it as I expect Blackrock to be a lot better under Emmet Farrell. Given Marys have recruited a few Blackrock school leavers expect a few fireworks. Still fancy Marys to tough it out.
    Don't see a lot of school leavers making first team for Marys even in this pre season cup game. Marys to win by a score

Naas v Wanderers
    Naas will play good open rugby but Wanderers have recruited well so could be very even. Naas just about Wanderers will win with the signings they've made. Naas do play alright rugby but think Wanderers will have a slight edge
    My predictions in red

AIL blog with some mention of these games
    http://allirelandclubrugby.wordpress.com/2014/08/20/leinster-senior-league-cup-and-shield/

My predictions in red

AIL blog with some mention of these games]

So are you writing through this blog now and not on here for the ail season?

So are you writing through this blog now and not on here for the ail season?
    Im not writing that blog but not doing as many previews here as last season. Looking at writing on AIL rugby for a website or two and just looking for a website to write for

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Yesterdays results :

Seapoint 14 Terenure 52
    Blackrock 20 St. Marys 45
    Bective 13 Old Belvedere 27
    UCD 27 Barnhall 20
    Lansdowne 24 Old Wesley 10

• Advertisement

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Yesterdays results :

Seapoint 14 Terenure 52
    UCD 27 Barnhall 20
    Big win for Terenure. Bective closer than expected to Belvedere.
    Hard to gauge these results. Will be interested to see how next weeks games go. Might try go up to one game at least.

Big win for Terenure. Bective closer than expected to Belvedere.
    Hard to gauge these results. Will be interested to see how next weeks games go. Might try go up to one game at least.

Many new signings for teams playing at the weekend? And how did they play?

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Yesterdays results :

Seapoint 14 Terenure 52
    UCD 27 Barnhall 20

No real suprises there, results upon expected lines the one that stands out a bit is how close NUIM Barnhall were to UCD in UCD, early season and still people away on holiday etc so wouldn't read into anything to much. Week 3 would be the results to look out for to see where clubs are at the week or 2 wekks for some before the league starts

Unless posters here were at games we wont know. No real reports up on these games anywhere
    No real suprises there, results upon expected lines the one that stands out a bit is how close NUIM Barnhall were to UCD in UCD, early season and still people away on holiday etc so wouldn't read into anything to much. Week 3 would be the results to look out for to see where clubs are at the week or 2 wekks for some before the league starts
    Barnhall would have plenty away as well. Agree with you on week 3 results being the primary results to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Didn't get to watch any games, but looking at teams pages on Twitter and feedback from lads with the clubs, Terenure had a few 20s from last year involved in their game that impressed. While Toolan and Allen scored tries for St. Mary's. Bosch and McDonald were stand-outs for Lansdowne in their win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement