Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RSA ad on unaccompanied L drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Sorry I mixed up the two stories the motorcycle I thought had a blowout.

Don’t come at me with Such an accusatory tone

No problem. We can all make mistakes :)

I’m out.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭tipperary

almostover wrote:
    So if I have bloutout on the way to work tomorrow and collide with another car killing one of the occupants then I should be charged with manslaughter? A work colleague of mine killed someone on the road last year accidentally not through his own fault. The other driver had lost control of their motorbike and hit my colleague. But let's lock him up too sure didn't he kill someone in a road traffic accident. Just as an FYI despite not being at fault for the accident he was on sick leave for several months due to the mental trauma of the accident. In future please think before you write emotive tripe like this.

Having a blowout is not premeditated breaking of the law. A learner driver driving unaccompanied is. Drink driving is. Speeding is. Doing these things can cause crashes, which can result in injury and death.
    If it was an ad about people being killed by speed or drink driving would there be as much sympathy for the person at fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

tipperary wrote: »
    Having a blowout is not premeditated breaking of the law. A learner driver driving unaccompanied is. Drink driving is. Speeding is. Doing these things can cause crashes, which can result in injury and death.
    If it was an ad about people being killed by speed or drink driving would there be as much sympathy for the person at fault?

I was responding to a post where the poster stated that anyone who kills another in a road accident should be charged with manslaughter. Was pointing out a poor word choice.

My personal take on this scenario is that the father and husband of the victims has done the country a service by lobbying the government to introduce the new law. Unaccompanied learner drivers have no place on the road. It would be great to get some enforcement of this too. Enforcement of road traffic laws in this country is pitiful. A lot of people know some of their driving behaviour is wrong, risky and sometimes illegal but the lack of enforcement means there is no incentive to change for many. I was caught speeding once only in my driving career to date and my attitude to speed has changed ever since. It does work and enforment is a deterrent. I wouldn't hold my breath on the new law making much difference and I'd wager that conviction rates will be negligible. Not because learners will stop driving unaccompanied but because detection will be low.

As for the TV ad I think it is unwarranted. Yes this man's life has been left with the indelible mark of the unecessary death of his wife and daughter but I don't think making TV like this is going to heal his wounds. I heard similar messages from him on the radio and it smacks of resentment. This is understandable under the circumstances but I think he now needs to focus his efforts on getting some closure on this tragedy. He can be proud of what he has achieved legislatively and it is a fitting tribute to his deceased family members.

I'm a bit taken aback by the reaction of some posters here towards the girl who caused the accident. She now has a life sentence of her own knowing that an irresponsible decision by her to drive unaccompanied lead to her causing a road collision that killed for neighbours. That coupled with a criminal record and a 15 year driving ban. I don't think a custodial sentence would have achieved anything here, she is highly unlikely to reoffend, didn't have a history of crime and isn't a danger to society at large. Despite what some posters here may say this girl too deserves help and some semblance of sympathy. Life will not be easy for her either. A few here should remember we were all young once and none of us are infallible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

almostover wrote: »

My personal take on this scenario is that the father and husband of the victims has done the country a service by lobbying the government to introduce the new law. ....

Might have been more in his line to have fixed the wall, it'd save putting up a plaque

It's just typical of that "arra that's grand, been like that for years " cr@p all over the country

Then when something fails, whine about it for the next 20 years

daC9rqr.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

almostover wrote: »
    A work colleague of mine killed someone on the road last year accidentally not through his own fault. The other driver had lost control of their motorbike and hit my colleague.
    that is a very creative understanding of the concept of cause and effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The ad is very harrowing and hard hitting, thats for sure. I think it needs to be as L drivers driving unaccompanied is a chronic problem in Ireland, everyone I know did it including myself. The stats say that 10 unaccompanied drivers died last year so if this new law can reduce that number it can only be a good thing.

Just on road safety ads, as mentioned further up the thread there has been a clear shift from ads that portray an actual accident with actors to ads that feature the aftermath of one and how it effects the family of the victims. This shift has happened because ads with actors were not effective enough, people get the message better when there are real life people involved.

Its going to be a source of stress for the young woman who caused this. She should avoid RTE for the next year or whatever the lifecycle of the ad is. But I still think the ad is a good thing, it has clearly hit a stark message home by the amount of people talking about it. That is what is required here because what needs to happen is that behaviour of parent car owners needs to change so deaths like this are prevented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

The crash didn't happen because she was driving unaccompanied. It happened because she was a dangerous driver. Had she passed her test the day before she would still be a dangerous driver. Nobody drives for their test exactly as they do in day to day life. She wasn't done for dangerous reckless driving for being in the wrong gear over speed bumps or a dodgy hill start. Most of the people you see on the road tomorrow driving dangerously more than likely have passed their test.

What happened to that family was awful and he deserves every sympathy and the girls punishment is no doubt deserved for driving dangerously . But the ad is a step too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

What happened to that family was awful and he deserves every sympathy and the girls punishment is no doubt deserved for driving dangerously . But the ad is a step too far.

Agreed. Lady has been through the courts.
    No problem with safety campaigns but no need to personalise each one of them.

On the other hand, there's another ad for drink driving with a home movie of a little boy that was killed in a collision.

No one's mentioned that one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The crash didn't happen because she was driving unaccompanied. It happened because she was a dangerous driver..

Nobody knows that for sure.

What we do know is that she shouldn't have been driving solo.

The and is shocking and it needs to be to change the behaviour of many.

I've no sympathy for any L driver who breaks the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

More ads like this and actually show the carnage may actually help people think.

Driving and rules of the road need to be taught properly in school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The crash didn't happen because she was driving unaccompanied. It happened because she was a dangerous driver. Had she passed her test the day before she would still be a dangerous driver. Nobody drives for their test exactly as they do in day to day life. She wasn't done for dangerous reckless driving for being in the wrong gear over speed bumps or a dodgy hill start. Most of the people you see on the road tomorrow driving dangerously more than likely have passed their test.

The junction in question is a sharp left hand bend which she took too fast and veered onto the wrong side of the road. An experienced accompanying driver would have told her to slow down on approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

More ads like this and actually show the carnage may actually help people think.

Driving and rules of the road need to be taught properly in school.
    I reckon that much of the opposition to the ad is a direct result of it's effectiveness - it is actually forcing people to think and face up to their responsibilities, and many don't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

pablo128 wrote: »
    The junction in question is a sharp left hand bend which she took too fast and veered onto the wrong side of the road. An experienced accompanying driver would have told her to slow down on approach.
    Ideally, but realistically how often do accompanying passengers intervene in time?

I reckon that much of the opposition to the ad is a direct result of it's effectiveness - it is actually forcing people to think and face up to their responsibilities, and many don't like that.

I would say anyone opposing it is simply cognisant of human error. No one can ever say they won't ever make a mistake driving, yourself included.
    The majority by your reckoning do face up to their responsibilities each day and do not cause accidents collisions or whatever you want to call them.

If there had been an experienced driver in the car who'd been reading the paper at the time or facebooking, would you want to pin blame on them too now for not pro actively co-driving?

dense wrote: »
    If there had been an experienced driver in the car who'd been reading the paper at the time or facebooking, would you want to pin blame on them too now for not pro actively co-driving?

It's up to them to keep an eye out and on them and how they drive that's the whole point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Yes, absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I may sound heartless about the girl in question but if it saves a life I don't really care about her feelings. The point of those ads is to stop other people doing the same thing and it has really worked with drink driving so I can't see why not with other forms of dangerous driving. You don't get banned for 15 years unless you do something seriously dangerous, so I don't really care about her feelings when her actions killed somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Theres defintely something in this. Also there was some push back in the media saying it was "an attack on people in rural Ireland" :rolleyes: because now parents will have to fulfill their legal obligations to supervise a learner driver
    TheChizler wrote: »
    Ideally, but realistically how often do accompanying passengers intervene in time?

IMO the whole supervision of learner drivers is not always about intervening in a split second to prevent an accident. It is more about correcting bad driving behaviour before it even gets to the stage of ending up in an accident. In this case the girl went way too wide taking a turn off a yield sign. When I supervised a learner driver they had the exact same bad habit of encroaching onto the wrong side of the road, it was only momentarily but enough to cause a tragedy like this one. Because the learner had supervision I could correct their mistakes but if they had been constantly driving alone then they would never even have known they were making potentially costly mistakes in the first place.

Doing a theory test and 12 lessons does not make a competent driver. Learning from and eliminating mistakes is what will make them competent. If they don't have an experienced driver to point out where they are going wrong then they don't properly learn about road craft and they are then liable to make mistakes that can end with serious consequences like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

It was a terrible accident but i feel bad for the girl. driving test a bit of a joke here with waiting lists and high failing rate. roads i shovking condition. what is percentage of learner drivers causing accidents. Ad looks like an eye for an eye, he will be happy if girl kills herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

margo321 wrote: »
    It was a terrible accident but i feel bad for the girl. driving test a bit of a joke here with waiting lists and high failing rate. roads i shovking condition. what is percentage of learner drivers causing accidents. Ad looks like an eye for an eye, he will be happy if girl kills herself.

Hardly an eye for an eye? He hasn't killed her. He has appeared in an ad to try and stop other families going through the same thing.

It's up to them to keep an eye out and on them and how they drive that's the whole point.

Do you have a link to the accompanying drivers responsibilities as outlined in legislation?

Do you have a link to the accompanying drivers responsibilities as outlined in legislation?

What do you think they are there for because it's not to just sit there and lay back.

A driver who is accompanying the learner can't have taken alcohol either.

They have it that the more experienced person is there to guide.

Yes, absolutely.

Would you blame both equally for the collision?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Theres defintely something in this. Also there was some push back in the media saying it was "an attack on people in rural Ireland" :rolleyes: because now parents will have to fulfill their legal obligations to supervise a learner driver

IMO the whole supervision of learner drivers is not always about intervening in a split second to prevent an accident. It is more about correcting bad driving behaviour before it even gets to the stage of ending up in an accident. In this case the girl went way too wide taking a turn off a yield sign. When I supervised a learner driver they had the exact same bad habit of encroaching onto the wrong side of the road, it was only momentarily but enough to cause a tragedy like this one. Because the learner had supervision I could correct their mistakes but if they had been constantly driving alone then they would never even have known they were making potentially costly mistakes in the first place.

Doing a theory test and 12 lessons does not make a competent driver. Learning from and eliminating mistakes is what will make them competent. If they don't have an experienced driver to point out where they are going wrong then they don't properly learn about road craft and they are then liable to make mistakes that can end with serious consequences like this one.
    That's absolutely what should happen and if everyone did that the roads would be much safer places, but quite often the passenger won't even be paying attention never mind offering appropriate advice.

I wonder if instead of the law punishing people who let their cars be driven unaccompanied would it have been better to legally put some of the responsibility on the passenger. They are supposed to be supervising at all, they should be actively monitoring the driver and correcting poor driving.

I suppose the effect would be that few people would want to accompany learners out of fear of being prosecuted in the event of an accident, and we end up with the same arguments against it, learners not getting opportunities to practice etc.

At a minimum I feel passengers should be subject to the same rules regarding mobile phone usage and alcohol impairment when they're supervising as when they're driving, so at least they're available to supervise mentally. That could have a much more positive effect than punishment after the fact.

What do you think they are there for because it's not to just sit there and lay back.

They have it that the more experienced person is there to guide.

I know the theory behind it, but to bring this to its logical conclusion, if an accompanying driver is now going to be blamed for failing to prevent an accident, why would anyone volunteer to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Are you suggesting we just do away with the entire licencing process so? Because you seem to be implying its completely redundant to even try and ascertain if people know even the most basic controls of a car before giving them permission to drive. Like making a left turn without hitting a car coming in the opposite direction?

This ad calls out irresponsible parents who allow their children drive before they hold a driving licence. The fact the only people annoyed with this ad are those annoyed that the culture of tacit approval of unaccompanied leaner drivers is coming to an end shows this ad and recent law changes are having the desired effect.

I don't think that's true is it? It should be IMO. The RSA tried to have something done on it a few years ago but I haven't heard anything since.

https://www.thejournal.ie/breathalyse-car-passengers-l-plate-882286-Apr2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I know the theory behind it, but to bring this to its logical conclusion, if an accompanying driver is now going to be blamed for failing to prevent an accident, why would anyone volunteer to do it?

If people can't find someone to volunteer to supervise them, they can pay a driving instructor to teach and supervise them until they're able to pass the test. Plenty of people do it this way, it's not the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I don't see why anyone can defend an L driver driving unaccompanied. They have either not passed the test, which is in place to ensure people drive to a minimum standard, or have failed a test in which case they should absolutely not be driving unaccompanied.

It's the law and there to protect every driver on the roads!

Advertisement