Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If I got in an accident with someone else with a dashcam and I felt they were going over the speed limit, I'd seek discovery in the court case and they would be compelled to disclose the footage. Or for that matter if I were representing the insurance company.

When I was rear ended a few weeks ago, I told the Guard I had the footage, and he seemed interested and said he may seek it out, but never did.

I guess given I was car 1 and car 4 caused the crash, and it was only a straight forward rear ending, the footage wouldn't have told them anything they didn't know already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

OSI wrote: »
    I was under the impression you can't be compelled to self-incriminate?
    I was referring to a civil case rather than any criminal case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Interesting responses. I'm glad I asked the question now regarding GPS. Still none the wiser whether I want it or not but I've appreciated the views of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Senecio wrote: »
    Interesting responses. I'm glad I asked the question now regarding GPS. Still none the wiser whether I want it or not but I've appreciated the views of others.

I have a Mini 0806 which gives me the option to log the GPS but not stamp the video with either the GPS co-ordinates or speed. I still have the data though if I do want it, programs like RegistratorViewer will allow you to view it.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

h3000 wrote: »
    I have a Mini 0806 which gives me the option to log the GPS but not stamp the video with either the GPS co-ordinates or speed. I still have the data though if I do want it, programs like RegistratorViewer will allow you to view it.

This setup gets my vote too. If I opted for a non GPS version in future, I know there'd be times I'd be wishing I hadn't, it can come in very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Mine has GPS now, so I'll have to see how it all works. It logs the GPS stats on the video by default it seems, but I wonder if it still logs your speed/route in a separate file on the card... I'll check this evening anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

does any one used bigger memory card than 32gb for eg 64gb?

Mr Snow wrote: »
    does any one used bigger memory card than 32gb for eg 64gb?

I use a 64GB card in my mini 0806

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

5500 wrote: »

Only downside on first impression is I think the grey colour is a bit noticeable so for a bit more covert look I'm gonna mask it up and give it a quick blast of Matt black paint.

5500 wrote: »
    ..here's another picture post paint

wstsi8.jpg

It's not visable from outside the car unless you knew it was there, sits and blends well behind the mirror

I think I'm gonna copy your paint idea 5500, as I reckon it'll be a bit stealthier in black..

If you're still on this thread, could you just let us know what paint you used, and how it's holding up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I had a tin of Matt black spray in the shed, you should get by with any spray paint eg http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-matt-black-paint-500ml

Admittedly I went the quick route and didn't prime/undercoat, just a quick wipe with some white spirits then masked the camera up and gave 3/4 light coats and then left to dry job done.

The paints fine and the camera isn't noticeable from outside the car without being pointed out so definitely worth doing

That's all it should need, once you have it in position you shouldn't be to be handling it that much so the paint should stay good.

1 tip for mounting would be to make sure wherever you have your camera it's fairly easy to get at and remove the sd card, so you're minimising any man handling of the camera.

That's all it should need, once you have it in position you shouldn't be to be handling it that much so the paint should stay good.

1 tip for mounting would be to make sure wherever you have your camera it's fairly easy to get at and remove the sd card, so you're minimising any man handling of the camera.

Good idea, though with it also having wi-fi, and videos downloadable through the app, I don't foresee it needing much handling after installation..

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

RainyDay wrote: »

What do people make of this? I realise there isn't much info on the site.,, but is there a better alternative for around that money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

When I was rear ended a few weeks ago, I told the Guard I had the footage, and he seemed interested and said he may seek it out, but never did.

I guess given I was car 1 and car 4 caused the crash, and it was only a straight forward rear ending, the footage wouldn't have told them anything they didn't know already!!

Love that you have front/rear cams...great stuff. Which models do you have? Thanks.

ejabrod wrote: »
    Love that you have front/rear cams...great stuff. Which models do you have? Thanks.

Mini 0806 in the front and a mini 0801 in the rear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    What software do you use for the picture-in-picture? I'm thinking of upgrading to one of those Xaiomi ones so will be putting the 0805 in the back window.

I use iMovie on a Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

guys if you want a fantastic editing program which is completely free go for Davinci Resolve lite the learning curve is no bigger than any other program but it works on Mac, windows, and linux (only with a paid license on linux). Will read next to any file type, and render out in any file type you want, there's also a great tracking system in it so you can blur faces and license plates 100x easier than in other programs.

You will need to do a bit of learning to get started but again, it's no worse than any other editing program to learn.

You can also sync clips from multiple cameras automatically by audio..

(this is not a paid ad even though it completely looks like it)

Has anyone found having a dash cam has changed your driving style at all?

I haven't installed mine yet (not driving at present due to injury), but I've a feeling I'll be inclined to be, how should I put it, a little more by-the-book when I do :)

(I'm by no means a lunatic on the road, and have an unblemished record in 25 years driving, before anyone suggests otherwise!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I haven't installed mine yet (not driving at present due to injury), but I've a feeling I'll be inclined to be, how should I put it, a little more by-the-book when I do :)

No because the Micro SD card can be easily swallowed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Guys I just picked up a Nextbase 202 Lite from Halfords

€64 reduced from €99

Works well but only problem I'm having is that I have the keep manually plugging it in and unplugging it because in my Audi A4 the cigarette socket has constant power... even with keys out of the ignition and doors locked.

This renders the auto on/off feature of the dashcam useless.

Anyone else face this issue when installing theirs??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

ION08 wrote: »

€64 reduced from €99

Works well but only problem I'm having is that I have the keep manually plugging it in and unplugging it because in my Audi A4 the cigarette socket has constant power... even with keys out of the ignition and doors locked.

You are probably better off getting a hard wire kit for it. A lot of people use the fuse piggy back option. This will allow you to take power from an ignition switches power supply.

Without trying to sound like an ass but if you google dash cam hard wire kit you'll find a few options.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I have the Nextbase 202, I also got the Nextbase hardwire kit for €24 also from Halford's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I have the Nextbase 202, I also got the Nextbase hardwire kit for €24 also from Halford's.

Brilliant, i'll try that so.

Do you mind me asking what car you have and which fuse you tapped into?

Edit: just checked the website and cant seem to find it :-/

You'll get the hardwire kit from eBay a hell of a lot cheaper that what Halfords will sell you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

€64 reduced from €99

See here which describes how I installed my one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97649372

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Brilliant, i'll try that so. Do you mind me asking what car you have and which fuse you tapped into? Edit: just checked the website and cant seem to find it :-/

I didn't do it myself, I paid €35 for the fitting service.

This is the kit: http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cam-accessories/nextbase-dash-cam-hardwire-kit
    As said you may be able to get one on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭josip

OSI wrote: »
    Yi Dashcam just arrived this morning. Just a warning for anyone getting it sent to your work address, the package literally just had my name and the street on it. No company name, no building name, nothing. Luckily the security dude saw my mobile number on the package and gave me a ring.

For those that have the cam already, anyway to turn off the beeps when you press a button? Holy hell they're annoying!

Annoying that you can't play with your new toy while you're in work? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Got mine yesterday too, not arsed installing it yet. I did install the app though, not great, took several restarts and disconnects of both camera and Note 4 to get them connected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement