Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

I leave mine in the car. Haven't had issues over the past year.

I guess it will be a good idea taking them down as they become more popular but most people don't even notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

mik_da_man wrote: »
    How does the ones in halfords compare to the other models that are more popular here?

like this one:

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dashboard-cameras-parking-sensors/dashboard-cameras/nextbase-dash-cam-402g-professional

Bought this dash cam yesterday. Took it out for a short spin today. The picture quality is simply EXCELLENT. Very pleased. Going to get a few bits tomorrow to hard wire it into the car so it will turn on with the ignition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,516 ✭✭✭micks_address

TheBody wrote: »
    Bought this dash cam yesterday. Took it out for a short spin today. The picture quality is simply EXCELLENT. Very pleased. Going to get a few bits tomorrow to hard wire it into the car so it will turn on with the ignition.

Thinking of going for the I tracker version of the 806 from Amazon Germany.. Anyone ordered from there?
    Cheers
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭satnavadays

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

It seems that the most selective requirement for acceptance of a child in a school is the availability of places.
    So my question is:
    What if no school where you applied has a place for a child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

It seems that the most selective requirement for acceptance of a child in a school is the availability of places.
    So my question is:
    What if no school where you applied has a place for a child?

27335991.jpg

I thought some of you would find it useful if I described how I hardwired in my dashcam into my Ford Focus.

Before I begin, I should stress that I am not a mechanic or auto electrician. What I am about to describe is purely from my own research. Don't sue me if you blow something up as a result of copying anything I do!!

To begin, I bought this camera when it was on offer for €150 in Halfords.
    http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dashboard-cameras-parking-sensors/dashboard-cameras/nextbase-dash-cam-402g-professional

This camera comes with about 4 meters of cable which is loads to run the wire from the camera position behind the mirror to the fusebox location in the passenger footwell.

6D01A116-B71A-430C-AC56-FD1212C4A7DD_zpshqxdyxkf.jpg

I tucked the cable in behind the rubber seal so you can't see it:

EE3DC597-8494-4794-B616-A1F0009A219B_zpsgum6j7ev.jpg

The fuse panel in the passenger footwell:

B03CBB9B-DDA2-428C-8D82-41795580BCC5_zpsnetavkxx.jpg

Next up, you need to find a circuit that is off when the car is off but turns on when the car is started. You will need a digital multimeter to find a suitable circuit. On the end of each fuse is a tiny metal contact that you can use the leads of your meter to check the power.

Pic of meter with car off:

3EA28351-ED47-41F6-AF53-4A5448439772_zpsffyrzszk.jpg

Same fuse with the ignition on:

383BD74A-2D8C-4B0D-B1F0-E70394D624AF_zpsba0saz3g.jpg

Now that an suitable circuit was identified, I use a piggyback fuse tap to tap into the circuit. I bought them on e-bay from this source:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-Add-A-Circuit-Fuse-Tap-Piggy-Back-MINI-Blade-Fuse-Holder-ATM-APM-12v-24v-volt-/180735824927?hash=item2a14b1d41f:m:m0a7lBVYcXWO-uV4HseLfRg

Simply remove the existiting fuse and replace it with the fuse tap.

5AC66A6D-C01F-4D52-A982-101368B45346_zpsxmjsxra7.jpg

52191D66-EBAF-4481-83F2-9B062D034815_zpsdkatsab7.jpg

The next thing you need is a cigarette lighter power socket. I bought my one here:

http://www.adverts.ie/other/3m-car-cigarette-cigar-lighter-12v-dc-extension-cable-socket-charger-lead/8474112

I chose this one as the socket had no exposed contacts. I cut off the plug end and seperated the two wires. I joined one end to the fuse tap:

Wired stripped and doubled over:

AE51D329-B0D9-4541-AC83-5B2F7156E127_zpsbbjn3snc.jpg

Then joined to the fuse tap:

6C43312D-F8A3-4FD5-B2A9-3B653108E7D5_zpsiqd5xs6s.jpg

The other black wire needs to be attached to an earth somewhere on the body of the car. Just behind the fuse board was a steel bracket, so I simply bolted the other wire under the nut.

Other wire ready to get bolted under the nut for an earth:

818704BA-43EA-4029-B7AA-D829FAC3FEEF_zpstsfzaa6q.jpg

Lastly, simply plug in the dashcam and tidy away the left over cable!!

ED246C60-B181-432A-A105-72CEA362DCD9_zps5gqcd56a.jpg

Took about half an hour to do the job. Really pleased with the result. Time to hoover the carpet now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I know we say no videos but.. Techmoan has unloaded a beginners guide to Dashcams, may help swing people who are sitting on the fence or trying to get others to install one,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YKlaJL8If4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Hey Boardsies where's the best place to get a Mini 0806? I want to ensure I get the latest generation.

Thanks

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    Hey Boardsies where's the best place to get a Mini 0806? I want to ensure I get the latest generation.

Thanks

Hi guys
    Picked up a 806 and looking for recommendations for a micro sd card to go with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hi guys
    Picked up a 806 and looking for recommendations for a micro sd card to go with it?

Not sure if 0806 is same issue as my 0801. I had a class 10 SD card and it kept crashing. Switched to a Class 6 SD card and no issues since. That was based on feedback to the link below. I have linked review to your one.

https://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0806/

Damien360 wrote: »
    Not sure if 0806 is same issue as my 0801. I had a class 10 SD card and it kept crashing. Switched to a Class 6 SD card and no issues since. That was based on feedback to the link below. I have linked review to your one.

https://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0806/

Never can remember do cards get faster as number gets bigger?

Never can remember do cards get faster as number gets bigger?

How much footage would I fit on a 64gb card?
    Thanks
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

About 10 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Just be careful that the camera can take a 64gb card. Read the spec carefully. My camera can only take up to a max of 32gb.

TheBody wrote: »
    Just be careful that the camera can take a 64gb card. Read the spec carefully. My camera can only take up to a max of 32gb.

Looks like it can.. i've read though that even the mini 806 has two sd card slots the auto switching from one to the other when full doesnt work? Might just stick with one 64gb card for now..

Also read on some forums about overheating issues... anyone experience that with the 806?

Thanks,
    Mick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

No overheating on the 0806 since I installed the custom firmware from dash cam talk (it's linked a few pages back),

I use a Sandisk 64GB card, and at full resolution (as by the custom firmware) I get about 5-6 hours footage, which does me fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Does anybody have a link to get the latest generation 0806? I've search on Amazon but none of the manufacturers seem to be E-Prance.

Does anybody have a link to get the latest generation 0806? I've search on Amazon but none of the manufacturers seem to be E-Prance.

I got mine from Gearbest, some others in this thread got theirs from other sources (I believe they mentioned where), I would imagine they'd all only be shipping the latest (3rd) gen at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I got mine from Gearbest, some others in this thread got theirs from other sources (I believe they mentioned where), I would imagine they'd all only be shipping the latest (3rd) gen at this stage.

Thanks. Used gearbest there. They have the 0806 back in stock in their EU warehouse. Also used DPD parcel wizard for the free shipping on first 3 orders. So working out 75 euro in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Handy comparison on the gearbest website:
    201501120928183810.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Actually, looking at the release dates i wonder is a new model imminent. The 0806 was released in November 2014 and the 0805 was released in the November before that.

BigEejit wrote: »
    Actually, looking at the release dates i wonder is a new model imminent. The 0806 was released in November 2014 and the 0805 was released in the November before that.

Regardless I wouldn't buy the first batch of the dashcam.

The 0806 was troublesome for the first batch and it took them a while to iron out the issues.

There's nothing worse than buying a dashcam, hardwiring it and then finding out it doesn't record properly. The 0806 is a good dashcam and current builds are good.

BigEejit wrote: »

Yes, next is the 0807,

the 9000 series are next I believe

Mini Series

whether they are all E-Prance or not remains to be seen, most likely not, as it seems every man and his dog have been producing the 0801, 0803, 0805

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Lads, I bought this camera off ebay a while ago, it's not excellent but it does a good job recording :)

My main gripe is that I can't seem to get it to automatically turn on and off why the ignition.

I have hard wired it into and empty fuse socket but I always have to manually switch it on/off.

Would anyone know how I could get it to auto record :confused:

It says on the eBay listing that it has "auto Record" functionality but don't know whether this has to be enabled or not, the fact that the camera has no screen doesn't really help!

Thanks

• Advertisement

ION08 wrote: »
    Lads, I bought this camera off ebay a while ago, it's not excellent but it does a good job recording :)

My main gripe is that I can't seem to get it to automatically turn on and off why the ignition.

I have hard wired it into and empty fuse socket but I always have to manually switch it on/off.

Would anyone know how I could get it to auto record :confused:

It says on the eBay listing that it has "auto Record" functionality but don't know whether this has to be enabled or not, the fact that the camera has no screen doesn't really help!

Thanks

If it's permanently on then you are supposed to use motion detection to turn on the camera after the vehicle moves. The only problem with this is that it might drain a weak car battery resulting in a non-start.

What you need to do is get yourself a fuse socket tap and tap into the fuse that is connected to your radio which only turns on when the key is on accessory.

Something like this: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-Add-A-Circuit-Fuse-Tap-Piggy-Back-MINI-Blade-Fuse-Holder-ATM-APM-12v-24v-volt-/180735824927?hash=item2a14b1d41f:m:m0a7lBVYcXWO-uV4HseLfRg

This will allow you to plug it in instead of a fuse and then put 2 fuses into it, one for the original circuit and another for the dashcam.

You could also splice into the lighter socket wiring if it turns off when the car is powered off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement