Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Complete newbie to the world of dash cams but considering getting one. I have a 13 BMW 3 Series, so I'd like to get one that's discreet and fits neatly, if that's possible. Has anyone here done similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭blade1

dudara wrote: »
    Complete newbie to the world of dash cams but considering getting one. I have a 13 BMW 3 Series, so I'd like to get one that's discreet and fits neatly, if that's possible. Has anyone here done similar?

I have this one with 7 months and can't fault it.
    Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112422774256

Front and back though back is only RF quality.
    Does the job though.
    Not noticeable when rear view mirror is in its normal place.

Front
    Screenshot_20170712-220531_01.png
    Rear
    Screenshot_20170712-220614_01.png

And a vid of it.
    Probably won't look as good quality wise after uploading
    https://vimeo.com/224770518

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Mine is Nextbase and a year old now supplied and fitted by Halfords . Never had a problem with it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Are there any Spytech A119 owners out there. Any recommendations for best settings ? Have one setup for a few days, picture quality isn't what I thought it would be.

Not sure if it's something I've done, camera angle, settings or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

dudara wrote: »

I'm thinking of changing to this BlackVue DR430-2CH on front and back, tucked away and no screen showing. On the long finger for now, still have a Nextbase at the moment.

Blackvue.jpg
    Patww79 wrote: »
    What's the power plug on a Nextbase? Micro USB?

Mini-USB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭finbarrk

How much for Skoda to fit it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I'm thinking of changing to this

on front and back, tucked away and no screen showing. On the long finger for now, still have a Nextbase at the moment.

The blackvue cameras are class. I have a dr750lw 2ch. Couldn't drive without the front and rear cams. 1080p front and rear, although I think the rear has more clarity. The 430s have superb quality from what I've seen online. Cost me 75e for installation by a qualified auto electrician as far as I can remember. Was over a year ago. best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I had a look at the 430, they don't have WiFi and are only 1080p. The WiFi is a must as you can transfer the footage directly to your phone without touching the micro SD. Otherwise you'll be fiddling. The 720p footage is good, bit not for that money. I would suggest looking on eBay. I bought mine from Singapore from a blackvue dealer on eBay. Far cheaper, you might be able to find a 1080p model, the 650 I think, for a similar price to halfords.

You will need an auto electrician to hard wire to the car either way.

Ps, buy the GPS adapter otherwise you won't record speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

This might be a stupid question, but would hardwiring a dashcam yourself have any warranty issues with the manufacturer?

I have a 171 Hyundai and just want to make sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

davo2001 wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question, but would hardwiring a dashcam yourself have any warranty issues with the manufacturer?

I have a 171 Hyundai and just want to make sure.

When I got my new Kia they told me has to be a qualified electrician who's qualified to work on hybrids blah blah blah... I've heard others were told it had to be done in a main dealers. I actually have my fuse taps here on my desk in work ready to wire mine in - it takes 2 mins to pop them out when it's going to visit the dealer. ...Come to think of it my Hyundai was in warranty and had 3 services in the main dealers and they never asked me about the cam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭passatman86

Im giving away seats front and back
    Front door cards also
    From a ek/ej civic
    3 door hatch ,
    It is the entry level trim
    Collection in dublin 22
    Thanks
    Message me if interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

http://touch.adverts.ie/car/nissan/micra/2007-nissan-micra/13372594

07 Nissan micra 1.2l
    Willing to negotiate with serious buyers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Gabico

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pabloazazel

This is my corolla, I am selling the car because I am leaving the country. Car is running perfectly and has never had any issues.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/corolla/toyota-corolla-1-4-price-drop/12697699

http://i68.tinypic.com/2ilevxv.jpg

mod note - image too large, image tags removed to avoid page breaking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I have just bought a mini0806, haven't installed it yet.
    I have a couple of questions, hope someone can help.
    The cam has two microSD slots. I haven't understood whether I can insert two cards and the system automatically switches from A to B when one is full.
    The cam has a HDMI output connector but no WiFi. Could a HDMI to WiFi adapter (dongle or device) transmit live (or playback) on a smartphone or tablet? If yes, what adapter would you suggest?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Found this in the online manual.........

CHOOSE CARD
    Here you can choose the card(s) on which you want to store the videos and
    photos. If set to AUTO, the recording will be alternated between card A and
    card B once it is full .
    options: AUTO
    CARD A ONLY
    CARD B ONLY

Found this in the online manual.........

CHOOSE CARD
    Here you can choose the card(s) on which you want to store the videos and
    photos. If set to AUTO, the recording will be alternated between card A and
    card B once it is full .
    options: AUTO
    CARD A ONLY
    CARD B ONLY
    Yes, this is what I have read, but I was unsure. Thanks!
    Any idea about the HDMI-to-WiFi via a dongle?

I've wasted the 2 sticky pads that came with my blackvue repositioning the camera..they stayed stuck to the windscreen but the pad came off the mount. Tried some mammoth tape - two pieces stuck together to allow for the lip on the mount, came out this morning and the two pieces had separated!...I guess an improvement since it was still stuck to the mount! :p
    Anyone have an alternative to the pads before I fork out for them.. ideally that I can go and buy rather than waiting for the pads to come in the post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

tk123 wrote:
    I've wasted the 2 sticky pads that came with my blackvue repositioning the camera..they stayed stuck to the windscreen but the pad came off the mount. Tried some mammoth tape - two pieces stuck together to allow for the lip on the mount, came out this morning and the two pieces had separated!...I guess an improvement since it was still stuck to the mount! Anyone have an alternative to the pads before I fork out for them.. ideally that I can go and buy rather than waiting for the pads to come in the post!

Any motor factors will have pads for sticking rear view mirrors they will do the job.

Thanks I'll try them and see what happens. I only hardwired it over the weekend - I must check the footage of it falling off lol :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

tk123 wrote: »
    Anyone have an alternative to the pads before I fork out for them.. ideally that I can go and buy rather than waiting for the pads to come in the post!

3m vhb. But be sure to do it right the first time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

I got some 3M dual lock tape (like velcro) since I can't seem to settle on where to put the camera.. old car didn't didn't have the blue tint at the top of the glass so it was up out of the way and new car does etc etc... In the meantime my stop gap is bending the mirror up when I get out of the car to support the camera and stop it falling off! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭baldshin

What I don't understand about dash cams is why they are rated to withstand to temperatures up to 40-50°C when inside a car left under the sun the temperature can get as high as 70°C.
    How can a device designed for working into a car have such a low temperature resistance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

What I don't understand about dash cams is why they are rated to withstand to temperatures up to 40-50°C when inside a car left under the sun the temperature can get as high as 70°C.
    How can a device designed for working into a car have such a low temperature resistance?

Normally dashcams don't run when the car isn't driving or are in motion detection mode which is lower power and doesn't heat up as much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Plus they can have problems with high temps, specifically problems if fitted with lithium batteries. That's usually the Achilles heel from what I read on the subject anyway. Hence I went for one with a capacitor rather than a battery. Even so the percentage of problems seems to be low enough.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wibbs wrote: »
    Plus they can have problems with high temps, specifically problems if fitted with lithium batteries. That's usually the Achilles heel from what I read on the subject anyway. Hence I went for one with a capacitor rather than a battery. Even so the percentage of problems seems to be low enough.

Same here, I have seen a couple of expanding batteries.
    I have a capacitor type cam since November and other than a faulty SD card I have had 0 issues so far(touch wood).
    I wired it to a permanent live for when I'm parked somewhere but I'd normally switch it off at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 fakedel

Hi, has anyone ever purchased a dashcam from www.dashcam.ie? Was wondering what your experience was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I have a Mini 0806 for about over a year now. For the past few onths the SD cards have been throwing wobblies. Camera starts beeping & there's am message something lint FRMT card. Once I re-format the cards all is OK for a while. I've updated the firmware on the camera. Do ye do a standard format on the cards. I just use the default exFAT & 128KB. These are 64GB Samsung 64GB cards. I should probably look at getting new cards. Anyone got any other suggestion or a link to some reliable supply of 64GB cards.

Thanks,

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭homingbird

Aliexpress for micro sd cards if you are willing to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

mymemory.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Lest not forget http://www.shop4memory.com/ . They can be good sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,992 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My Honda FR-V up for sale.

A great family car, has served us and the 3 kids well. Solid as a rock, will provide many more years of motoring. Can seat 6 adults if needed, and still provide plenty of boot space.

Only selling as don't need the space any more, and going electric.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/fr-v/2008-honda-fr-v/13286630[url][/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Got mine a couple months back and never drive without it now. I didn't get it hardwired when I got it, so the cable is always dangling down as it's connected to the lighter socket.

Directly hooking it up to the electrical system of the car, is it easy to undo? I'm just thinking about the future when I'll eventually get a new car (many years off yet) but just covering all bases so to speak.

I bought the cam from Halfords. As it was a few months back since I bought it I'm not sure whether they'd install it or not. From memory they charge about €35, I stand to be corrected. Would I be better off going to an auto electician? Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

Just ordered by Blackvue 650s 2ch DashCam with the hardwire kit. I just don't like the idea of wrapping the wires on the hardwire kit to existing fuses. You can get fuse taps that you can add an additional accessory with a new fuse which I like.

Saw one on Halfords but I think my car has mini fuses so I'm not sure this particular tap will work. I have a 2014 Ford Fiesta.

Also, would a 5amp fuse be sufficient for the dashcam?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks.

• Advertisement

Yeah 5 is fine. I used 5 in my last car and could only get 7.5 for this one where the fuse and tap was bundled - rather than buying fuses and taps separately etc etc. I made mistake with mine in the new car - I'd normally tap into the overhead light for the batt one but on this car the lights go out after a while so my parking mode wasn't working lol :p They're pretty pricey on Halfords o_O. I got mine on eBay for a few euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

jaxxx wrote: »
    Got mine a couple months back and never drive without it now. I didn't get it hardwired when I got it, so the cable is always dangling down as it's connected to the lighter socket.

Directly hooking it up to the electrical system of the car, is it easy to undo? I'm just thinking about the future when I'll eventually get a new car (many years off yet) but just covering all bases so to speak.

I bought the cam from Halfords. As it was a few months back since I bought it I'm not sure whether they'd install it or not. From memory they charge about €35, I stand to be corrected. Would I be better off going to an auto electician? Cheers.
    Its pretty easy to do yourself.
    You will need a fuse tap and usually a little transformer 12v to 5v and maybe another little bits but all can be bought from China for nothing or eBay a little dearer but will arrive earlier.
    I'll post a link to the stuff later on.
    I'm sure someone here that's near your area would give you a hand.
    If you near me I'd give ya a dig out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

tonkpills wrote: »
    Just ordered by Blackvue 650s 2ch DashCam with the hardwire kit. I just don't like the idea of wrapping the wires on the hardwire kit to existing fuses. You can get fuse taps that you can add an additional accessory with a new fuse which I like.

Saw one on Halfords but I think my car has mini fuses so I'm not sure this particular tap will work. I have a 2014 Ford Fiesta.

Also, would a 5amp fuse be sufficient for the dashcam?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks.

How much did you pay for that and where did you get it, I'm looking to get this as I've heard it's pretty much the best dash cam available. is that the one with front and back cameras?
    I think it's possible to have it record even when the car is turned off, an I right?

H
    I think it's possible to have it record even when the car is turned off, an I right?

You need the power magic pro box or the battery pack thing for parking mode. I have the box from my old DR380 and went with the DR430 2 channel since I was happy with the limited features of the 380 but wanted to add the rear camera.

How much did you pay for that and where did you get it, I'm looking to get this as I've heard it's pretty much the best dash cam available. is that the one with front and back cameras?

Yes, it's the one with both cameras, got it all for approx €350 ex VAT (Magic Pro + 64GB) on GetTech, they are based in Cork.

Yes, it is. You can set the timer cutoff (6,12,24,72 hrs) and it also has a voltage cutoff too - which ever comes first (time or voltage) it will cut off the power to the dashcam so your battery doesn't die.

Just getting nervous seeing threads like this on boards. A driver involved in a 3 car collision where she was the middle car and yet got slapped with FCPN for driving without due consideration after an eye witness came forward claiming that she hit the front car first! I think a dashcam now is worth the investment.

honda boi wrote: »
    You will need a fuse tap and usually a little transformer 12v to 5v and maybe another little bits but all can be bought from China for nothing or eBay a little dearer but will arrive earlier.

A transformer, wow didn't know that. Things are just not as straight forward as I thought.

Thanks for the offer honda boi much appreciated. Not sure when I would be down next in your neck of the woods :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

A transformer, wow didn't know that. Things are just not as straight forward as I thought.

Thanks for the offer honda boi much appreciated. Not sure when I would be down next in your neck of the woods :)

A simple step down, not a transformer...

For instance https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Dual-2-USB-DC-DC-Car-Converter-Module-Cable-with-mounting-hole-input-DC-12V/32401337070.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

honda boi wrote: »

If he bought the cam from Halford its more than likely a Nextbase, in which case you'd need nothing more than the a hardwired kit they supply.

ION08 wrote: »
    If he bought the cam from Halford its more than likely a Nextbase, in which case you'd need nothing more than the a hardwired kit they supply.

I got the Power Magic Pro, I think it might have the voltage stepdown built in? See manual.

I got the Power Magic Pro, I think it might have the voltage stepdown built in? See manual.

Yeah it does - just just need the fuse taps so. I had a problem with mine - it was recording everything as events in parking mode rather than being in actual parking mode- updated the firmware and it's grand now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Good evening all.

I know very little about dash cams but I've decided to invest in one, and I'm looking for some advice.

So basically, I'd like a reasonable quality dash cam with reasonable night vision. Front and rear. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Secondly, regarding installation. If I bought the dashcams online, would I have to bring to a Motor Factors, Halfords or some such for installation, and would they readily be able to do so. Also, how much would that cost?

Can they be easily installed by a noob like myself?

I'd be looking to keep within a budget of €200, €250 max all in. I'm not too concerned about the aesthetics of a dash cam either.

Any advice or recommendations appreciated.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement