Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestlers who just look like and act like they're dickheads in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Lio Rush, Rollins

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

On a thread about dickheads in pro wrestling the last name I'd have expected to crop up is Matt Riddle. That guy is a gent, ridiculously laid back and honestly if anyone deserves success it is him. Was lucky enough to meet him once and he really couldn't have been nicer, just a legit cool guy.

The same Matt Riddle?! :pac:
    All joking aside tho, how long did you meet him? briefly and also as a fan?
    You can't get a beat on someone in that type of interaction. After all, wrestlers are the great workers they are too. Hey buddy, thanks buddy, want a pic? no problem (whilst thinking buy my merch, buy my merch)
    Lio Rush, Rollins

Rollins is meant to be one dick. When he was in a relationship he sent nude pics of himself out and sure enough Kaitlyn's husband come out recently and said how Rollins was sending her dick pics too. You'd get a punch for that.

Of course he is selective. Kaitlyn's husband isn't in the wrestling business... would he dare send Nikki Bella pics when she was with John Cena? absolutely not :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Omega comes off poorly a lot as well

that whole thing with renting a room from a known sex offender and then denying he knew him but it seems like most in wrestling knew about him

i do think lately if you start looking into most wrestlers lives you'll find something you'll hate about them in one way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

The same Matt Riddle?! :pac:
    All joking aside tho, how long did you meet him? briefly and also as a fan?
    You can't get a beat on someone in that type of interaction. After all, wrestlers are the great workers they are too. Hey buddy, thanks buddy, want a pic? no problem (whilst thinking buy my merch, buy my merch)

Rollins is meant to be one dick. When he was in a relationship he sent nude pics of himself out and sure enough Kaitlyn's husband come out recently and said how Rollins was sending her dick pics too. You'd get a punch for that.

Of course he is selective. Kaitlyn's husband isn't in the wrestling business... would he dare send Nikki Bella pics when she was with John Cena? absolutely not :pac:

Oh ye very much a wrestler/fan interaction and no illusions that the wrestler's main goal is to sell merch to you during these interactions. My personal interaction with Riddle was after a show, not near a merch table and he was just hanging about in the Tivoli, asked for a pic, 1st one came out bad, he took my phone, asked an OTT person to take the pic, got us into some better lighting, was so cool and normal. I mean, you can't judge a person on a minute interaction, but he could came across so well, so likable and apparently whenever he was over here he was happy to go for the post show drinks with wrestlers and fans. Maybe I'm totally off base on this, but anything I've ever seen about Riddle has always been super positive and my short interaction with him backs up, to me, the view of him online. One of the good guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,557 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Austin Aries from everything I've seen and read about him seems to be a miserable ****er.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,353 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd imagine Punk is a lot more than a dickhead in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah Pete Dunne is someone who might not be the kindest of guys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

PTH2009 wrote: »

Followed him on IG for a bit; he and MM come across as tossers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

PTH2009 wrote: »

There's just something about the way he looks isn't there.
    If you didn't know who he was and saw him walking down the street you'd think he is a skanger lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

People I have never met and I just assume are dickheads...

all wrestlers everywhere. They just look weird.

Thats what we are doing here isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It’s a fun discussion and we all do it to a degree...but also worth remembering is that there are people who are great at doing the ‘fan game’ and switching on when it comes to shifting merch etc. That doesn’t necessarily make them sound, just as people who aren’t as good at fan interaction aren’t necessarily dickheads. All it means, in reality, is that the ‘nice’ people are good at selling and marketing themselves. With that trait often comes a high level of narcissism, which is something that would cause a lot of ‘normal’ people to be considered dicks. Sometimes people who aren’t good at fan interaction are just shy and socially anxious, traits that would often be associated with ‘nice’ people in a normal context. I’ve seen some people I know who are genuine salt-of-the-earth, do anything for anyone types get hit with the dickhead label, just as I’ve seen actual dopes be lauded online because they’ve got a good Disney face.

These judgements can also be skewed by the agendas of people making them. Fans, for example, often build an affinity towards a certain wrestler by identifying with something in their public branding. They want a relationship and judge a lot based on a tiny interaction whether the relationship they’d imagined came to pass in said interaction. That’s a **** way to have your entire personality judged: whether you fulfilled a specific fantasy a stranger had of you that you can’t be responsible for.

Another thing that comes into play is that if a fan feels you’re their ‘friend’, sometimes they’ll want more and more and more and wrestlers will almost have to eventually act like an arsehole just because said fan isn’t getting the hint (or they have to learn to tolerate a level of attention ‘normal’ people would consider harassment). If the wrestler had left the fan alone and never acknowledged them to begin with, the fan would continue to build that fantasy and support the wrestler. But because they were sound enough to make time to acknowledge them and couldn’t fulfil the day-to-day expectations of the fan, next thing said fan is calling them a dick online and the wrestler is seen as a bully almost if they correct them with the facts. You may think that’s an extreme case but it actually happens a lot. They’re almost better off to just keep a distance to begin with because it can get messy once you open that door of accessibility and expectations are set.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Matt Riddle is one for me. Comes off as a very smug man.

Matt Riddle is really sound in real life. I was at a show in Rochester a while back (before he went to NXT obvs), and he was just hanging out at the back of the crowd during the other matches, actively going up to people for the chats. We had a chat with him too, he's very mellow and a cool guy. Seen him do the same at other shows too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

i met joseph connors after titanic wrestling on sunday, he was a great heel in the ring but very friendly after it, so 1st impressions etc may not be accurate