Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Agree with this.

We need an inside forward to compliment Clifford, someone quick and explosive like Con O'C or James O'D would be perfect.

We seem to have plenty of backs.

Interesting idea to move Gavin White in to half forwards. Graham O'Sullivan can play half back, Mike Breen also.

Shane Ryan seems like a safe pair of hands for 6 years at least.

We should hit the big 40 with the current crop hopefully.

If Killian Spillane or Tony Brosnan were the answer, they'd already be starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He has scored a few points in league and over the years. It would be his ability to get break the tackle as well his speed would add another option on the break

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Went to buy a ticket for the ladies final on Sunday. Only tickets showing are in the upper deck of the cusack and no Hill tickets. Seems mental to have the hill closed when it's the one place that might generate some atmosphere

I've no interest in going to a soulless upper tier. Seems like an own goal by the LGFA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Great win for Kerry delighted for the lads a lot of pressure on kerry to win this one 38, I hope the media will lay off this adoration of David Clifford, his a nice Lad and a good footballer but you get the feeling the GAA and the media are going to try and make a poster boy out of him. TBH his great but looking back through the years of other Kerry stars, like the bomber 3 goals in the 78 final, and all the great players we have had I wouldn't be getting too carried away just yet, well Done to Shane Ryan a real solid goal keeper and has been brilliant all year.

I agree about people getting carried away.

Just let him play his game and we can discuss his place on the pantheon with the greats after he retires.

I hope he stays injury free and ends with at least 5 AI medals.

He is a completey unique talent though. I've never seen such agility and skill combined with physicality.

I agree also about Shane Ryan. Hopefully he's our settled number 1 now for 6 years at least. We've been changing keepers too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

The only player I remember that came close to him ever was Matt O Connor of Offaly years ago. And he was not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Players are getting better and improving all time is because they are being coached different at a young age, IE to get that other peg working, the big rave about David Clifford is he can kick off both feet seemingly you will never get to play County now unless you can kick with both feet, it's all gone very measured now passes have to be so precise and fitness and strength and conditioned to the last, for me it's not great to watch its gone a bit like rugby and in to attacking phases the only difference between them is there is no offside in GAA. We played very much like Dublin the last day, ticking away till the 65 minute and going hard for last 10, that's what Dublin was excellent at.

Matt O Connor was probably a better freetaker. He as well had huge physical presence on the field. He was the only footballer that you is comparable to Clifford.

Slava Ukrainii

Tyrone invented modern football in the 00s and Dublin perfected it.

Its about sweepers and a mobile middle eight and a forward line of just two finishers.

It's about hardworking half forwards who track back.

It's about protecting the D.

Its about keeping possession and working the ball to your sharp shooters. Using the width of the pitch to stretch defences and open gaps.

It's about a kick out strategy, both long and short.

There's some variability such as Kerry kick more and some teams use a more running game. I think we'll be utilising the offensive mark on Clifford for a long while. He's a mighty fielder.

I quite enjoy modern football. Much more tactical complexity to discuss afterwards. Up to the early 00s Kerry were playing man to man, catch and kick football. Long kickouts. Midfielders contesting.

Donegal invented the very defensive counter-attacking approach which is still effective.

I'm not sure what the next tactical innovation will be.

I'm surprised more teams aren't using a Donaghy like target man for the offensive mark. You could just lamp the ball in from the half way line for an easy score.

Jack O'Connor is a known proponent of the diagonal ball into forward line.

Is this because it's easier for the forward to read the trajectory and attack the ball, as opposed to a vertical pass from the middle of the field?

The problem with using a big guy for the offensive mark is many will not have the kicking skills. The lad doing it will need to contribute more that just hang around the box. It very hard for these players to cover ground

He will not get every mark on the 14 meter line and 4-5 meters either side of the posts. In the end defences managed Donoghy to a certain extent.

As well you need lads with the right skill to deliver ball in and you need 3-4 of them no point in only have one as again it too easy to nullify

On the other hand I can never understand Mayo when they put O'Shea inside and are completely unwilling to kick a ball.into him.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

On the Mayo front, it's a well tried and failed system at this stage. Put the big man in and fail to kick the ball into him because our game is predominantly built on running with the ball from deep.

Rather than being a positive for us, it was often a negative (Vs Dublin for example)... You actually give teams huge boosts every time they succeed/you fail with a long ball being pumped in. That's before you consider him winning a mark and missing a simple free.

Kerry do it regularly and have the players to do it and it forms part of a plan / style throughout the year. For us, there was always a sense of desperation about employing the tactic. Always left for a big game or moments of panic.

Galway git a lot of oxygen from the first high ball Kerry kicked in. Not converting the '45 boosted them further.

You really need a good scorer to make marks beneficial. Clifford's were both hard marks to catch. As was Geaney's. But finding a big target man capable of scoring in a 30-40 meter circle around the posts is hard enough

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Wasn't a 45 iirc, the ref played advantage and then gave a free for an incident that happened before the ball was kicked in (was closer to 55 out) which I thought was strange. It would have been more advantageous to have given the 45.

But maybe my understanding of the rules is lacking. Advantage may end when the ball goes out of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ref probably thought he was giving more of an advantage by awarding the free which was more central than the '45' would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

One rather surprising bit of trivia - it seems that Seanie O'Shea is the only player to have captained both minor and senior teams to All-Irelands, with the under-21/senior double being more usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Lord God did we enjoy ourselves. Twas an outstanding night. And ito the not so wee hours of this morning aswell. Suffering today. That video misses the massive crowd below in the square. Thousands and thousands at it. A great turn out and fair play to the lads great speeches and we're around the town signing kids jerseys etc for hours and hours. Dingle tonight I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

are u just talking about Kerry or countrywide??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

How are the likes of Paul Walsh and Donal O Sullivan doing nowadays? Think O Sullivan was playing Sigerson last year and was around the panel. Both were decent at minor level

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Donal is definitely on the extended panel anyway, don't know how Paul Walsh is doing.

Any chance of Dylan Geaney/other U-20s being brought in next year?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Looking at next year in the forwards I’d be looking at Eddie Horan to come in and challenge in the half forward line and Donal O’Sullivan in the full forward line. We’ve loads of options in the backs. At midfield Okunbor will surely be given a look. After that I’m not very sure any other player will come in although I rate both Barry Mahony and Eanna O’Conchuir and with a bit of coaching I think they could bring something to our half forward line. Ruairi Murphy was man of the match in the county u21 final last night and is one to keep an eye on. I don’t see personally many others in the mix after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Bit off the level in my opinion although maybe he’ll have a good championship. Adam Donoghue from Castleisland I would say is the top midfielder outside the panel.

It turns out the only previous countrywide example was Des Foley of Dublin (1958 and 1963).

As per Murt Murphy, the county club fixture calendar for the remainder of 2022:

Also, seems there were 6 Churchill players on the St Brendan's team that won the county minor hurling title, which, along with Kilgarvan in the intermediate decider, is a welcome broadening of the hurling base in the county.

They make fairly decent managers down that neck of the woods in fairness.

Best of luck to the ladies today. Up against it but I'm sure they'll make us proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not happening for them.

A lot of optimism in Kerry this week about the ladies but they are 8 down with 8 minutes to play.

Advertisement