Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

Yeah, even today, because they had Conroy, his fielding was a good point.

I do think more mobile players around the middle would take advantage of him next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Jacks last all Ireland final with Kerry was 2011 against Dublin... now I maybe wrong but I think one of the reasons Jack acted so fast today taking off the 2 lads goes back to 2011 final when it was clear after 20mins that Killian Young was in major trouble against Alan Brogan but wasn’t replaced.. and his pet Declan Sullivan was clearly not in a state to continue playing after the hit he took from Ger Brennan but was left on and sure we know what happened Declan and killian messed up just before Dublin goal...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭acequion

You could well be right. The most successful people learn from their mistakes and failures. Kerry football and JOC seem to have really learned from the mistakes of being just thereabouts for so many years. Thereabouts is not good enough. The great Kerry teams of old almost always found a way. This talented crop of players under Jack's tutelage seem to have found the way at last and let's hope there's no going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No doubt he's constantly learning but I also think that those early subs were easy enough calls and he mightn't have to go too far back to get inspiration for making them.

Spillane for Geaney wasn't the hardest choice after the first half and you'd expect that this year might be the end of Geaney winning that battle to start.

Moran off wasn't the hardest call either, most were expecting him to be off earlier this week after the mistake in the Semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Congrats on the win!

We were cheering you on from Mayo, herself (Tralee) had the kids in Kerry jerseys... That hurt a little, but a lot less than a Galway win would have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Great day yesterday, it panned out pretty much as expected. With galway putting it up to us for an hour but ultimately had no bench to help them keep it going coming down the stretch. In fairness to Galway they had their homework well done and were able to pull Morley out of position (particularly in the first half) and on another day might have got a goal out of it. But they didn't! I said before the game they would need to score 2 or 3 goals to beat us and thank god they didn't. Overall a well deserved win, and the lads are looking more and more capable at finishing a game out in the last 10 mins. Very happy. Well done lads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Amazing to think David Clifford should pocket his fourth All-Star aged just 23, once he can avoid injuries you'd have to think he can match Gooch and/or Pat Spillane:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAA_GPA_All_Stars_Awards#Players_with_most_wins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

well done. Delighted with our brave performance but ultimately we had no players like the Spillanes on our bench as we needed fresh legs big time from 55 minute on. Hopefully this is a start of rivalry between our two great counties cause who doesn't want to see Clifford and Walsh go at it on the biggest stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Jesus that was the shitest driest craic I've seen in a long time there in Tralee. Do these players have any personality at all!

Wednesday night in kenmare is where its gonna be at 😉

• Advertisement

Was too early anyway, not sure how they should handle it but there's no point dropping into Tralee so early when they're just waiting to start the party in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Most of the lads were on Harcourt Street until 3am and later last night and any of them i saw taking photos were very pleasant and generous with their time, then they were up early where some went to do media, others had to go to Temple Street and some went to the Boars Head.

Stopped in Kerry group in Naas on the way down for corporate shyte and a long journey to Kerry on a bus.

I'd forgive them for not having "any personality at all". They're probably wrecked, some could be overwhelmed and some could be a bit pìssed.

Then they're probably being asked the same things over and over in interviews and have to go to Fitzgerald Stadium and the INEC after Tralee.

It's a young team overall and they've just won their 1st all Ireland after the weight of expectation on them for years

I'd cut them some slack

Look at all these people agreeing with you, I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying but ffs to have no reaction at all up on the stage in front of tens of thousands of Kerry people in Tralee, it's a very bad look, maybe you weren't there but honestly the vibe was so bad

There were issues with the sound system during the team introductions which can hardly have helped, seemed to be loud and clear again when they were ready to leave, but by then the momentum would have been lost.

Ffs there not children's entertainers or stand up comics, there footballers. Have they not done enough hard work for you all year that your here complaining that they weren't entertaining enough for you the day after winning an all ireland. Jesus wept I've heard it all now. They could be mutes for all I care so long as their giving there all on the pitch. They had reaction enough for 80 minutes yesterday to last us a year......

I wasn't there, no. But tbh I'm not sure what reaction you'd want from players? Supporters are there to thank the team for their efforts and show their appreciation. I don't expect the players to have any kind of reaction.

And from what An Ciarraioch says there was sound issues which they can hardly be blamed for.

Were you there in 1997? Or was it 2000, on the roof of the airport.. It's been 8 years. Forgive me for expecting a positive reaction. Look, whatever, you don't agree, fine.

It's mind boggling to me how you're finding a negative angle on it but you're right, we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Man, you're commenting on an event you're not even at.

Denny Street earlier tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭acequion

And were you there yourself in 1997 and 2000? Because I've been at every homecoming, win or lose. And what I've found is that the players demeanour is pretty much the same each time. In good form after a victory, deflated after a loss. Granted, years ago you had more characters, more rogues, more shenanigans such as the roof of the airport, such as Tadhg Kennelly's jig, such as something unpredictable from Paul Galvin. Whereas everything nowadays is more subdued and more polite, more PC, I guess, such is the world we live in now. But players are always wrecked by the time they reach the county and feck it are they not entitled! They've done the job, brought back SAM, just let them be and don't begrudge them reacting and enjoying the win in whatever way suits them.

Fantastic. Looks like a great event, as do all the videos on social media. A long time coming

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A little bit of trivia

This is the third time a Kenmare District man has captained Kerry and lead them to All Ireland success. I know it not strictly the same this time as Ken.ate are a senior clun

In 1924 Phil O Sullivan from Tuosist lead Kerry to the 1924 AI victory. During the next 20 ISH years Kerry were the dominant force in Football winning 5 in the next 8 years and 9 within fifteen years. He got his college pal Dr Eamon O Sullivan to manage the team who would manage 8 winning Kerry teams over the next thirty years only losing one the final one he managed.

In 1975 Micky Ned O Sullivan from Kenmare town lead Kerry to victory. Pat Spillane had to receive the cup as Micky was consussed in hospital. Kerry win eight in total between that and 1986. It would be Mick O Dwyer's first of eight AI wins he managed.

Sean O Shea from Bonane 1922 lead Kerry to victory now for the rest of it

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Would there be many introductions tk the panel.next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Updating the age profiles of the panel:

Shane Ryan 26 (1996)

Graham O'Sullivan 24 (1998)

Jason Foley 24 (1998)

Tom O Sullivan 26 (1996)

Brian O Beaglaoich 26 (1996)

Tadhg Morley 29 (1993)

Gavin White 25 (1997)

David Moran 34 (1988)

Jack Barry 28 (1994)

Diarmuid O Connor 23 (1999)

Sean O Shea 24 (1998)

Stephen O Brien 31 (1991)

Paul Geaney 32 (1990)

David Clifford 23 (1999)

Paudie Clifford 26 (1996)

Subs:

Jack Savage 27 (1995)

Adrian Spillane 28 (1994)

Killian Spillane 26 (1996)

Paul Murphy 31 (1991)

Micheal Burns 26 (1996)

Joe O'Connor 22 (2000)

Other Final Panelists:

Shane Murphy 29 (1993)

Gavin Crowley 27 (1994)

Tony Brosnan 26 (1996)

Jack O'Shea 25 (1997)

Stefan Okunbor 24 (1998)

Final Panel Average Age 26.7

Injuries/Extended Panel:

Dara Moynihan 24 (1998)

Mike Breen 24 (1998)

Dylan Casey 22 (2000)

Dan O'Donoghue 26 (1996)

Greg Horan 27 (1995)

Donal O'Sullivan 23 (1999)

Dara Roche 27 (1995)

Eanna O Connchuir 27 (1995)

Pa Warren 23 (1999)

Cian Gammell 23 (1999)

2022 Extended Panel Average Age: 26.0

We've got a lot of cover in the backs going into next year.

Would love if we added another scoring forward or two to the extended panel at the very least and another option or two around midfield. Hopefully a few lads put their hand up during club championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

Thanks for that list Same As.

Agree about what we need. If we could unearth a knacky James O D type along with a Darren O Sullivan speed merchant to replace Stephen O Brien would be ideal. Then a real blood and guts type for midfield we'd be set fair. Shame O Connor is staying with Geelong. There's still a little bit of dog missing in this team. Any of that extended squad fit the bill?

Cannot believe Foley is only 24. He's like a man whos already raised 4 children.

Was at the game, up in the rafters. Couldn't appreciate the skill of what was being done quite as much but tactically it was so frustrating to watch both teams go for this lateral movement, especially Galway, who had the winning of the game around minute 50 but started coughing up posession cheaply. If they had gone for it and tried to manufacture a goal they might have Sam and not us. But no, play the percentages, don't lose the ball, stick to the game plan etc.

Foley is getting all the praise and Comer all the stick but Galway never fed him. What could he do? We weren't much better with often only Clifford left inside. Acres of space around the D often but asides from a few early pot shots no team tried to cause mayhem with a high dropping ball. Crazy I thought, especially from Galway who were never going to win without a goal or two.

As someone pointed out here, Paidi only started playing well once he wasn't sharing a pitch with David Moran, thought Graham had a great second half especially, Stephen great first half. David did well but Shane Walsh was unquestionably man of the match. Neither really contributed past minute 50 apart from the great free by Clifford.

The media fawning is positively nauseating. I'm sure the man himself must be thinking " The greatest ever? Sure I've only just got 1 Celtic Cross"

Undoubtedly the most gifted player in the country but only battles won in years to come will determine whether he is a true Great.

This team should win a few more but can't see any more than a 2 in a row unless we unearth more forwards. Anything coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

Re: Comer, exactly. Don't think Foley had to be that good on Sunday, as everywhere Comer was, the ball didn't find him. Rather unfairly, the further out from the match you get, the more you see the tactical mistakes and shortcomings of your team, instead of praising them for producing a great spectacle. In fairness, the AI is the pinnacle and when you're playing in front of a full house it's hard to think on your feet and make the correct decision in every play. That will come with experience. And too much criticism of last Sunday is redundant, it was a great occasion and wonderful to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

With the amount of backs that should be available next year I think if I was manager I would consider moving Gavin White into the half forward line. His pace and ball winning ability would add to our forward line. Killian Spillane will be starting next year.Adrian should be as well. A replacement for Killian off the bench is a must

We are not as shy of players as people may think. It may require a bit of reconfiguration but 1-2 forwards would really make us a decent team.

Another thing is to get Fitzgibbon back as reserve goalie.

I see a few AI's in this team if we just get another player or two of KS's ability

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

If he has shooting boots that could be a great call re White. We know he has an eye for goal 😁 Graham even seems like a man who also has that quality I love about Paudie - the eyes and feet for the unexpected pass. Geaney to be fair put one of those into David in the first half but he was too slow reacting and got himself booked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

From a midfield perspective, would be interested in seeing how Darragh Rahilly, Sean O'Brien and Ruari Murphy get on during the club season. I'm not sure what has happened with Paudie O'Leary and Oisin Maunsell, was very impressed with both of them previously.

In the forwards, Eddie Horan will hopefully get a bit of a championship run with the Kierans district in the county championship. He could be an interesting option for us and can play in variety of positions. Cillian Burke has an abundance of raw skill but he suffers from poor decision making, but time is on his side if he can be coached. I am looking forward to seeing a bit more of William Shine also, although he's quite young yet. A skillful forward with a lot of good attributes.

Advertisement